Forum Settings
Forums

Have we reached a new low with seasonal anime?

New
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 8, 2018 4:55 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
KanonDE said:
Manaban said:

It honestly sounds like you're railroading yourself into a sense of fatigue by picking up so much stuff on a seasonal basis. Or at least I've found that it's super easy to get burnt out watching too many seasonals, considering you have a limited pool of selection and very little control over your watching pace, which both end up removing a lot of freedom and flexibility from the viewing experience for the sake of...topicalness, I guess. I also kind of doubt there's much purpose in picking up so much stuff outside of bragging about it, kind of...like you're implicitly doing by dropping the huge number of stuff you're watching or have dropped a couple of times by now.

But idk, man, you do you, I guess.

Ye I realized that too by now and that's why I dropped everything and won't pick up so many anymore. It's funny cause I watched the last years over so many anime too, but it wasn't really tiring me out or anything like that, but the new seasons getting worse and worse and there is no point in forcing myself to watch as much if I hate them anyway.

I mean, you're bound to get burned out eventually if you just haphazardly pick up everything for the sake of inflating the number of stuff you're watching. Which, given the emphasis you've placed on your numbers in this thread over pretty much all else, it does kind of come off like that's what you're doing. Which, in turn, leads it to coming off like you're projecting some rather senseless viewing habits to try and illustrate a lack of quality on the season on a broader level, and that doesn't really paint a good picture for the foundation of why you're painting this season as exceptionally bad. Because, while I'm not picking up 40+ fucking series I see very little to set it apart from previous seasons. Better ecchi than has been in any season for the past year or so, I'd say, which is pretty nice tbh, but aside from that it just seems like stuff is sorting itself out as normal. Bunch of stuff sinks to the bottom, some stuff floats to the top, sequels for some big name brands hold the highest member counts, blah blah blah. The way people are responding to shows is pretty unremarkable from my view.

It really just sounds like you've burnt yourself out, mate. And under these circumstances it sounds like that's mostly on you rather than anything else.
ManabanAug 8, 2018 5:04 AM

Aug 8, 2018 5:02 AM

Jun 2015
Manaban said:
KanonDE said:

Ye I realized that too by now and that's why I dropped everything and won't pick up so many anymore. It's funny cause I watched the last years over so many anime too, but it wasn't really tiring me out or anything like that, but the new seasons getting worse and worse and there is no point in forcing myself to watch as much if I hate them anyway.

I mean, you're bound to get burned out eventually if you just haphazardly pick up everything for the sake of inflating the number of stuff you're watching. And tbh it does kind of end up coming off like you're projecting some rather senseless viewing habits to try and illustrate a lack of quality on the season on a broader level.

It doesn't seem exceptionally different or lacking in quality compared to previous seasons. Ecchi seems to be having a much better time than in past seasons, since for a good while now ecchi has been largely limited to one usually super underwhelming new full-length series and two dinky ass psuedo-hentai series, with the only real straying from that formula being the DxD sequel season (which is already a very well established brand rather than any new blood.) Three full-length series and I've seen people in the club respond pretty positively to all three to some extent. See some big name sequels, see some sleeper hit show about cells that manages to attract a broader audience than I would've expected and some J.C. Staff thing at the third spot that I've seen literally nobody talk about for some reason.

I see basically nothing to set this season apart from past seasons, except in the ecchi department, is what I'm getting at. Your complaints have been non-descript aside from the mentioning of how many you've picked up and how many you've dropped. It legit just comes off like you've burnt yourself out and you're kind of redirecting that and projecting it as a lack of quality with this season's anime rather than anything else. Which is dumb.

It may sound like that, but it's more like especially because I have watched so many that I can compare it with other seasons and can tell for sure that the current season is one of the worst ones in years.
I can agree with what you said about ecchi shows and I wait for a shows like yuuragi for the BD release, because I for sure not gonna watch the censored version every week.

This season is even rated super low for MAL standards it is rare that like 75% of all seasonals have a mean score of below 7.
Aug 8, 2018 5:13 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
KanonDE said:
It may sound like that, but it's more like especially because I have watched so many that I can compare it with other seasons and can tell for sure that the current season is one of the worst ones in years.

That's kind of the point of why I'm bitching at you here, though. You've kind of made it seem like your judgement seems pretty much shot and self-inflicted and you're not really doing anything to demonstrate otherwise. You're not exactly saying anything remotely meaningful or that I can work with to think about in terms of this season relative to others, just asserting that it's bad, or, in your OP, saying slideshow/CGI stuff (which doesn't exactly say much by itself; animation in TV anime is usually pretty basic and full of shortcuts and comparatively low quality of other areas of animation and it's been that way for a long, long time now, 8 FPS has been an industry standard for quite a while, alongside things like still frames and limited movement and other various derpy ass shortcuts) and mostly are just bringing up the huge number of things you picked up and the huge number of things you've dropped. The amount of shit you've watched doesn't really do much by itself and just tossing it about isn't magically going to reinforce your point if that's pretty much all you have to say. Elaborate, I guess. How/Where does this season fall short compared to previous seasons? What do you think is making it like so? Not just "well I watch a ton of shows every season and dropped a ton of shows this season so worst season in 4ever." Because that's pointless and the discussion surrounding the lack of quality of this season in this thread has pretty much illustrated next to nothing. I want to know where this season is falling short, dammit, but I'm not wanting to know badly enough to pick up 40 shows I'm not really wanting to watch. If you're watching so much stuff every season and asserting this one as terrible, I think you could at least do more than this.

You pretty much just set it up to make it look like you're over-exaggerating the lack of quality for being a bit dumb in your viewing habits, and you haven't really done anything to distance yourself from that so far, or at least not in my eyes. What you've outlined so far makes me want to call your judgement into question, either for the sake of provoking elaboration on your end since I'm wholly unsatisfied with what you've laid out so far or just blasting what doesn't seem like a well-founded point. Hence, why we're here now.

I can agree with what you said about ecchi shows and I wait for a shows like yuuragi for the BD release, because I for sure not gonna watch the censored version every week.

Eh, can never blame anybody for waiting for an uncensored version :P I'll probably re-watch it then, that's my only big knock on it so far is that it's so censored and so blatantly at that. But god, it's been damn good in the ecchi department even censored somehow, so my hype for an uncensored version is unreal.

This season is even rated super low for MAL standards it is rare that like 75% of all seasonals have a mean score of below 7.

Seems like nothing out of the ordinary to me. I've always kind of noticed that the majority of the shows that don't float to the top of the season fall somewhere in the 5s or 6s. Least if I scroll down past the first third of the page on the majority of seasons past.
ManabanAug 8, 2018 5:28 AM

Aug 8, 2018 5:43 AM

Jun 2015
Manaban said:
KanonDE said:

That's kind of the point of why I'm bitching at you here, though. You've kind of made it seem like your judgement seems pretty much shot and self-inflicted and you're not really doing anything to demonstrate otherwise. You're not exactly saying anything remotely meaningful or that I can work with to think about in terms of this season relative to others, just asserting that it's bad, or, in your OP, saying slideshow/CGI stuff (which doesn't exactly say much by itself; animation in TV anime is usually pretty basic and full of shortcuts and comparatively low quality of other areas of animation and it's been that way for a long, long time now, 8 FPS has been an industry standard for quite a while, alongside things like still frames and limited movement and other various derpy ass shortcuts) and mostly are just bringing up the huge number of things you picked up and the huge number of things you've dropped. The amount of shit you've watched doesn't really do much by itself and just tossing it about isn't magically going to reinforce your point if that's pretty much all you have to say. Elaborate, I guess. How/Where does this season fall short compared to previous seasons? What do you think is making it like so? Not just "well I watch a ton of shows every season and dropped a ton of shows this season so worst season in 4ever." Because that's pointless and the discussion surrounding the lack of quality of this season in this thread has pretty much illustrated next to nothing. I want to know where this season is falling short, dammit, but I'm not wanting to know badly enough to pick up 40 shows I'm not really wanting to watch. If you're watching so much stuff every season and asserting this one as terrible, I think you could at least do more than this.

You pretty much just set it up to make it look like you're over-exaggerating the lack of quality for being a bit dumb in your viewing habits, and you haven't really done anything to distance yourself from that so far, or at least not in my eyes. What you've outlined so far makes me want to call your judgement into question, either for the sake of provoking elaboration on your end since I'm wholly unsatisfied with what you've laid out so far or just blasting what doesn't seem like a well-founded point. Hence, why we're here now.

Eh, can never blame anybody for waiting for an uncensored version :P I'll probably re-watch it then, that's my only big knock on it so far is that it's so censored and so blatantly at that. But god, it's been damn good in the ecchi department even censored somehow, so my hype for an uncensored version is unreal.

Seems like nothing out of the ordinary to me. I've always kind of noticed that the majority of the shows that don't float to the top of the season fall somewhere in the 5s or 6s. Least if I scroll down past the first third of the page on the majority of seasons past.

The current season is of course not the first season that is bad, but the reason this season at least feels so much worse is because we got a bunch of sequels for Anime I couldn't care less about and I already disliked their previous seasons. Aside from that has this season so many Anime that just make me think it isn't even a anime like back street girls for example that anime is just the manga panels colored and they made it like a slideshow (That anime has literally 0 animation or anything), but ofc not all anime are like that if I take a look at Hanebado it has great animations and looks overall really nice, but everything else in this anime fails to make one interested in watching it. One other problem is that the previous anime seasons always had a bunch of anime I enjoyed and so the big amount of bad anime didn't really bothered me, but this season has nothing to balance it out and all I see are the bad anime.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I didn't found any anime I was able to enjoy this season who knows.
Aug 8, 2018 5:47 AM

Nov 2014
Open seasonal anime list, sort by score and look and compare chosen spot between seasons. Looking at whole 2017 and 2018, current one seems a bit lower, but it's really small difference and there were lower points.

I actually made a list, but accidentally deleted post instead of submitting it so fuck this.
Aug 8, 2018 5:50 AM

Jul 2016
Manaban said:

I think @KanonDE didn't point out numbers to flex, but rather to make sure others don't assume that his opinion is merely a result of his "not watching the good shows". Whether you think his viewing habits are dumb or not has little impact on his opinion of the shows each season. It isn't that he only tried the bad shows of the season for the first time and thus thinks that way, it is that he has seen the "bad shows" of this and the previous season, both.

While I agree with his opinion, he didn't really try to argue it in the first place. As far as I can tell (confession: I didn't read the whole conversation) he is taking a stance, not defending it. Many shows this season have iffy scripts and/or presentation (e.g. Planet With, Satsuriku no Tenshi, Banana Fish [lesser extent, more pacing issues], Hanebado, Sirius), and a considerable number of them isn't really striving for greatness, but is content being deplorable entertainment for a really projected target audience (most Ecchi falls under this). It doesn't help that it also has like my top three least favorite shows I started this year (obviously dropped), but it's just that even the better shows like Cells at Work, which is solid overall even if the visuals are iffy, are just solid and in no way exceptional.
Aug 8, 2018 6:29 AM

Oct 2017
Other than some continuations (MHA, AoT, etc.), there aren't many good shows this season in my eyes either. Is the general quality of anime decreasing over time? Probably not. Do I still enjoy some of the shows I watch regardless? Yeah, totally. We get threads like this every season, so some people just see it from different perspectives.
ramasetaAug 8, 2018 6:34 AM
Aug 8, 2018 6:32 AM

Aug 2014
RobinTheKing said:
no. Hinamatsuri, Megalo Box, Grand Blue, Hanebado, BnHA s3, AoT s3 those are really good. I don't think they have become worse.

Some remains great.
But some anime stereotypes of the same exact carbon copy persist .

It's almost to the point where people shit talk about it to people doesn't care anymore or just ignored.

As they asked why anime is dying.
Aug 8, 2018 6:35 AM

Aug 2014
Every season has its highs and lows. And it's dependent on which shows you're watching. There are actually good shows this season, but most are overshadowed by hyped series.

Typing on console, so can't rant like usual.
Aug 8, 2018 6:47 AM

Jul 2016
i think it's fair.Happy Sugar Life is pretty good,but some really need more observations,like Island.

Life is empty without anime

Aug 8, 2018 6:56 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Moelancholy said:
I think @KanonDE didn't point out numbers to flex, but rather to make sure others don't assume that his opinion is merely a result of his "not watching the good shows". Whether you think his viewing habits are dumb or not has little impact on his opinion of the shows each season. It isn't that he only tried the bad shows of the season for the first time and thus thinks that way, it is that he has seen the "bad shows" of this and the previous season, both.

I like striving to understand things like what's going on and what opinions people are having in regards to something. He made a thread on this, I want to know more, I'm pressing for a better explanation because I find the current one he's offering to be unsatisfactory. If all he's going to do is drop numbers, then I'm going to question what the actual issue is here and want something more than that. If he's making a thread on AD to assert this opinion, I'm going to treat it like it's up for discussion and not just a matter of senseless relativism or whether or not the fact that it's his opinion is relevant to whether or not I can be satisfied with his explanations on it. I outlined all of that in the post you're quoting, more or less.

While I agree with his opinion, he didn't really try to argue it in the first place.

Yeah, but I am, to an extent. It's a discussion board and if he's saying something and I want to know more of it, I'm at least going to press for a better explanation if the one I'm getting isn't really much of anything at all.

As far as I can tell (confession: I didn't read the whole conversation) he is taking a stance, not defending it.

Ok. If you'd read the posts, I'm pretty much pushing him to elaborate.

The amount of shit you've watched doesn't really do much by itself and just tossing it about isn't magically going to reinforce your point if that's pretty much all you have to say. Elaborate, I guess. How/Where does this season fall short compared to previous seasons? What do you think is making it like so? Not just "well I watch a ton of shows every season and dropped a ton of shows this season so worst season in 4ever." Because that's pointless and the discussion surrounding the lack of quality of this season in this thread has pretty much illustrated next to nothing. I want to know where this season is falling short, dammit, but I'm not wanting to know badly enough to pick up 40 shows I'm not really wanting to watch. If you're watching so much stuff every season and asserting this one as terrible, I think you could at least do more than this.

Welcome to "taking a stance," I guess, if you articulate it in a way that isn't exactly illustrative or helpful and try to initiate discussion on said stance then it's totally fair game somebody is going to press you to explain the stance better, especially if they take interest in why you're holding it and their impressions of the structural integrity of said opinion come across as, well, lacking, but there's always that degree of surface level knowledge involved when somebody isn't exactly offering much insight. I see nothing unreasonable about that.

Really, if this is the issue you're taking then it just comes across like you're more interested in obstructingdiscussion in favor of what we're having now because it's easier to operate as such in a fish bowl, where taking a stance and the foundation of that stance can't be criticized - which in this case, I'm hard pressed to even consider it proper criticism of the stance, as much as just pressing for *more* if somebody is going to initiate a discussion on as much - but I'm not really interested in buying what's being sold regardless.

is content being deplorable entertainment for a really projected target audience

Well, fuck you too then >_>

And that depends on what we're defining as striving for greatness, because I kind of have the impression that many consider striving for greatness being a matter of incorporating certain themes and elements and having certain approaches, kind of haphazardly chasing subversive material at the cost of being able to assess things on a more holistic level and provide a less narrow perspective. I see something like Yuragi-sou from this season as striving for greatness, but that's due to its emphasis on the audio/visual elements such as the shots it takes and how it draws out its ecchi scenes - slowing down the scene and displaying it from multiple angles or making good use of panning shots to show crevices and outlines and all kinds of nice things like that, using audio/visual elements emphasizing the sexualization over the sheer act of something like panties being shown. Flowing upwards towards it and trying to make the most of it. And it's basic, but the complexity versus the simplicity of what a work communicates with its audience isn't exactly what I'd be willing to call for a benchmark of effort or ambition.

but it's just that even the better shows like Cells at Work, which is solid overall even if the visuals are iffy, are just solid and in no way exceptional.

I've picked up 3 shows this season, I think, and out of those 3 I can identify one as both striving and (somewhat) succeeding at being exceptional, which is kind of remarkable to me.

But hey, I do kind of have this outrageous idea that there isn't a single benchmark for things to measure against for whether or not they can be exceptional, though, and that there's more variables to be taken into consideration than just what it is and what it isn't. The criticism one would hypothetically make by looking at a painting of a landscape forest and saying "this should be a painting of a mountain instead" isn't exactly useful and I do kind of believe that understanding the identity of the work in question, substantiating it with evidence from the work in question if need be, and being able to extend additive thoughts and criticisms from there is generally the way to go for determining what's an exceptional work and what isn't. Anime isn't this all-inclusive entity, there's different ways for it to build and communicate with the audience and what's exceptional and what isn't is something that isn't determined on a broad, holistic level, as much as a variety of different subfields. So if your definition of what's exceptional and what isn't falls under a certain scope, and you're not getting really good/exceptional works under that scope then demeaning the entire season as bad and criticizing it for as much just seems to be a failure to be able to operate and understand works that fall outside of a pre-established boundary.

That, and, well, exceptional works are exceptional works because they're exceptional and if we got a work widely considered exceptional too frequently then I'd just be questioning the use of the word exceptional in a lot of cases rather than anything else. On a seasonal basis, a work being "exceptional" is most always welcome to me but if I were to criticize a season for not possessing at least one exceptional work in its field then I just think I'd be tossing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. It shouldn't be a label we diminish to the point of demanding it to be relatively commonplace - because it'll never be commonplace because it's fundamentally something that cannot be commonplace, and it's why a lot of discussion focused on the shortcomings are focused around ideas of improvement what went wrong and how it could've been better because that sort of improvement is simultaneously more additive and more able to built on and expanded on to try and voice ideas for actual improvement, rather than just superficially chasing the "exceptional" and decrying things pretty much solely for not being as such - and, on a holistic level, I'd still probably say that a season that possesses many solid works is going to be the better season in a broader scope than a season that possesses an exceptional work with a bunch of trite beneath it.

ManabanAug 8, 2018 7:01 AM

Aug 8, 2018 6:58 AM

Oct 2017
And... What makes you think "anime studios literally gave up and just release slideshow/CGI anime" this season?
Aug 8, 2018 7:02 AM
Jul 2017
It's pretty good imo if you stop trying to critique everything and just enjoy it. Damn elitists
Aug 8, 2018 7:03 AM

Jun 2015
KatsutoSaki said:
And... What makes you think "anime studios literally gave up and just release slideshow/CGI anime" this season?

Maybe you should check all the anime that are released by JC staff currently they literally only release slideshows cause dumb otakus will buy it anyway so it's fast money.
Aug 8, 2018 7:10 AM

Dec 2016
KanonDE said:
Seasonal anime were never the best, but I think that especially the current season is a new low for seasonals, because the anime studios literally gave up and just release slideshow/CGI anime.

I don't think it's fair to say that cgi = bad/lazy anime. Movies like kimi no na wa used cgi and it's praised for its great animation. I personally still enjoy seasonal anime since shows like Steins;Gate 0 and Attack on Titan have interesting plots and exceptional animation. If you compare every show to the likes of evangelion, you might be disappointed but there are a few show that many people consider good shows every season.
Aug 8, 2018 7:14 AM

May 2014
KingDragoYT said:
It's pretty good imo if you stop trying to critique everything and just enjoy it. Damn elitists
People really need to stop misusing the term elitist, it's lost all meaning.
Aug 8, 2018 7:24 AM

Mar 2018
Cannot agree. Every season so far had some jewels to offer. In spring it was, for example, Hinamatsuri and I seriously enjoy Banana Fish. I only haven't started with Free! and SnK yet because I am too busy and usually just watch one or two series at the same time.
Aug 8, 2018 7:24 AM

Oct 2017
KingDragoYT said:

I can't tell if this is satire or not, but if it is, it's brilliant
Aug 8, 2018 7:29 AM

Jun 2015
KingDragoYT said:

You should learn the meaning of the word elitist
Aug 8, 2018 7:32 AM
Jul 2017
[quote=KanonDE]
KingDragoYT said:

You should learn the meaning of the word elitist[/quote
KanonDE said:
KingDragoYT said:

You should learn the meaning of the word elitist

I'm joking
Aug 8, 2018 7:48 AM

Jun 2015
huntress1013 said:
Cannot agree. Every season so far had some jewels to offer. In spring it was, for example, Hinamatsuri and I seriously enjoy Banana Fish. I only haven't started with Free! and SnK yet because I am too busy and usually just watch one or two series at the same time.

well I can't directly agree to the anme you call good, but yeah normally every season has at least some good anime, but the current season is just litter imo.
Aug 8, 2018 8:04 AM

Oct 2017
KanonDE said:
huntress1013 said:

well I can't directly agree to the anme you call good, but yeah normally every season has at least some good anime, but the current season is just litter imo.

Well your always inclined to your belief but looking at how much you have seen I mean honestly your going to lose interest at that point. I guaranteed if I ever hit 1,000 shows watched I probably will be more reliant on rewatching old shows that I liked more than anything.

Ultimately you will burn yourself out on a hobby at some point. I think you just have hit that point where anime is less interesting to you now due to overexposure and honestly you might need to take a break and see if you really are getting that much enjoyment out of it at this point. For some it might be best to even move on and drop it as a hobby. The goal of anime and manga is to entertain you if its just annoying you or your bored time to quit or take a break.

Still you seem to have some new shows in your favorites so maybe its just a manner of just trying to watch too much maybe just stop watching seasonal anime and wait for reviews. I can't imagine people who try to watch past 10 seasonal shows.

Anyway everyone has their opinion on the direction where anime is going as an industry personally I really think next year is going to be amazing with some of my new favorite manga getting adaptations like The Promised Neverland and Vinland Saga. As long as their is one good show a year I am satisfied and I am getting way more than that currently. A few I am not watching this season like Banana Fish in order to concentrate on knocking out older shows.
BilboBaggins365Aug 8, 2018 8:26 AM
Aug 8, 2018 8:07 AM

Apr 2015
We have this thread every single season.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 8, 2018 8:08 AM

May 2016
Bro I gotta watch Bobobo, Great Teacher Onizuka, dem 700 eps of Conan and a thousand other stuff, I dropped seasonals a long time ago.

orz
Aug 8, 2018 8:09 AM

Nov 2014
CatSoul said:
Every single season is too conservative.
Every other week is more like it.

Aug 8, 2018 8:11 AM

Jun 2017
Sequels aside, there isn't a single really good anime this season. That's sad
Aug 8, 2018 8:14 AM
Feb 2018
I find older animes to be way better than the ones which come out today. You really get that feeling that it's actually an anime with how the quality is like that when you compare it today with all the new additions to a show that comes out, yet people still tend to call the show terrible :p
Aug 8, 2018 8:17 AM
Dec 2014
In my opinion i think every season has its ups and downs there are good anime this season especially high score girl am really enjoying it so far
Aug 8, 2018 8:23 AM

Oct 2013
Ah the seasonal "is this the worst season eva?!?!?!" thread. Oh how I've not missed this.
Aug 8, 2018 8:32 AM

Jun 2015
CatSoul said:
-Riptide- said:
Ah the seasonal "is this the worst season eva?!?!?!" thread. Oh how I've not missed this.

Trying my best to join the trend :pray:
Aug 8, 2018 8:37 AM

Jul 2013
The more money the anime industry loses each season, the more lazy they'll get with what they put out there each season.
I want to give a shoutout to Happy Sugar Life from this current season tho, lol, I'm rlly into it.
Aug 8, 2018 8:39 AM

May 2015
First day back and we already get a thread like this. lol

Aug 8, 2018 8:42 AM

Feb 2010
I really did not miss all the negativity, pessimism and self-inflicted anime burnout threads sold to us as 'anime is declining' topics by people lacking self-awareness and reflection.

And please stop using your list size as a way to 'objectivize' your opinion because with that logic I'm more right than you and I still find plenty of enjoyable shows in every season despite watching 20+ seasonals each season for over 8 years now.

At best you may argue that certain seasons are not appealing to certain tastes and to some degree that will always be the case, but that is a very subjective thing and very different from the general 'decline in quality' people like OP like to talk about.

So yeah, either this is just personal anime burnout because of overexposure and a lack of awareness in that regard, or someone with a somewhat narrow taste mistaking a season not appealing to their personal preferences with a 'decline in quality'. Just like 95% of threads like this. I'm not invested enough to find out which it is tho.

Bottomline: I enjoyed life more while the forums were down and I would not constantly feel like I have to justify myself for still enjoying anime amidst the continuous negativity of the forums :/.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 8, 2018 8:45 AM

Nov 2016
The Problem is not the Quality of anime being released. Instead it is the number of them. Since more Anime are Coming Out Every Season, There is definately going to be a lot more cashgrabs that only want you to read the source material. There are still good anime coming out but they are harder to find. I thinks this is the best time to use the 3 episode rule so that you can know what is good and drop the bad one faster and start watching the good Shit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 8:47 AM

Jun 2015
@Manaban I haven't read your whole answer you gave to moe, but I don't think you can really understand what I feel about seasonals if you only start like 3, because I would probably like this season too if I would only start 3 anime.

Pullman said:
I really did not miss all the negativity, pessimism and self-inflicted anime burnout threads sold to us as 'anime is declining' topics by people lacking self-awareness and reflection.

And please stop using your list size as a way to 'objectivize' your opinion because with that logic I'm more right than you and I still find plenty of enjoyable shows in every season despite watching 20+ seasonals each season for over 8 years now.

At best you may argue that certain seasons are not appealing to certain tastes and to some degree that will always be the case, but that is a very subjective thing and very different from the general 'decline in quality' people like OP like to talk about.

So yeah, either this is just personal anime burnout because of overexposure and a lack of awareness in that regard, or someone with a somewhat narrow taste mistaking a season not appealing to their personal preferences with a 'decline in quality'. Just like 95% of threads like this. I'm not invested enough to find out which it is tho.

Bottomline: I enjoyed life more while the forums were down and I would not constantly feel like I have to justify myself for still enjoying anime amidst the continuous negativity of the forums :/.

I don't dislike seasonals per se, but I dislike the amount of actually bad ones that get more and more every season and I didn't used my list size to prove anything, but I followed the last seasons and that is why I can compare this seasons with older ones and imo we get more and more bad anime every seasons instead of actually good ones which seems to become rare nowadays and especially this season has like only 1 Anime I kinda enjoy and the seasons before had normally like at least 5.

Afloo said:
The Problem is not the Quality of anime being released. Instead it is the number of them. Since more Anime are Coming Out Every Season, There is definately going to be a lot more cashgrabs that only want you to read the source material. There are still good anime coming out but they are harder to find. I thinks this is the best time to use the 3 episode rule so that you can know what is good and drop the bad one faster and start watching the good Shit.

Ofc there are still good anime I don't want to say we don't get any good anime anymore cause this isn't the case and some of my fave anime released this year, but like you said the amount of bad shows is just getting more and more and it's rare to find something actually enjoyable if one isn't a shounen fanboy nowadays.

PostFarmer said:
I find older animes to be way better than the ones which come out today. You really get that feeling that it's actually an anime with how the quality is like that when you compare it today with all the new additions to a show that comes out, yet people still tend to call the show terrible :p

Kinda get the feeling people are just used to mediocrity/bad anime so they see it as the standard

North514 said:
KanonDE said:

Well your always inclined to your belief but looking at how much you have seen I mean honestly your going to lose interest at that point. I guaranteed if I ever hit 1,000 shows watched I probably will be more reliant on rewatching old shows that I liked more than anything.

Ultimately you will burn yourself out on a hobby at some point. I think you just have hit that point where anime is less interesting to you now due to overexposure and honestly you might need to take a break and see if you really are getting that much enjoyment out of it at this point. For some it might be best to even move on and drop it as a hobby. The goal of anime and manga is to entertain you if its just annoying you or your bored time to quit or take a break.

Still you seem to have some new shows in your favorites so maybe its just a manner of just trying to watch too much maybe just stop watching seasonal anime and wait for reviews. I can't imagine people who try to watch past 10 seasonal shows.

Anyway everyone has their opinion on the direction where anime is going as an industry personally I really think next year is going to be amazing with some of my new favorite manga getting adaptations like The Promised Neverland and Vinland Saga. As long as their is one good show a year I am satisfied and I am getting way more than that currently. A few I am not watching this season like Banana Fish in order to concentrate on knocking out older shows.

I actually didn't lost any interest into the medium and I still enjoy many anime, but it's mostly the a bit older shows I enjoy. The seasons nowadays are filled to the brim with crappy anime, but ofc older seasons in like 2006 had already many bad anime too, but the difference is the amount cause that season released maybe 20 anime and they still had a good amount of good ones so the seasons seemed better and nowadays it is like 1 good anime followed but 30 bad ones.
KanonDEAug 8, 2018 9:02 AM
Aug 8, 2018 9:00 AM

Jan 2015
I really wish the amount would be cut in half :v just for the sake of animes being more memorable. Nowadays so much anime come out that you dont care about them once they end since a new batch will come back.
But ofcourse its not profitable for studios to make less.
Aug 8, 2018 9:03 AM

Jun 2015
Hirugiku said:
I really wish the amount would be cut in half :v just for the sake of animes being more memorable. Nowadays so much anime come out that you dont care about them once they end since a new batch will come back.
But ofcourse its not profitable for studios to make less.

Ye take JC staff as a example they literally spam new anime nowadays and don't give a fuck about bringing quality in them cause 99% of their anime are slideshows.
Aug 8, 2018 9:04 AM

Dec 2017
i think i kinda have some love-hate relationship with forum discussion. i kinda sad when forum is down but when it back up, i kinda hate it even more than when it down. and it really be like that sometimes.

i dont think this season is the new low, mainly because i only watch 4-5 anime per season,and i just need to avoid all those proclaimed “bad” slideshow/cgi and that’s that. no one inclined you to watch them all, just because you can find it easy on the internet, doesnt mean you have taste them all.

and i guess the slideshow and cgi you’re mentioned are Back Street Girls and High Score Girls amirite?, J.C Staff is really on some weird stuff, but atleast Satsuriko no tenshi is pretty good
InukanuraAug 8, 2018 9:08 AM
Aug 8, 2018 9:05 AM

Jul 2017
fuck you ur just a dirty elitist, if u don't like it don't watch it. hmp
Aug 8, 2018 9:05 AM

Jul 2017
It's not like the people making it want to do so, they are actually hurting themselves and are underpaid to get the anime done. If they have a choice, they would choose to work on a comfortable schedule and budget. It's more the business decision behind, but I can't really blame those people either because without them investing, the anime would not exist in the first place.

The current issue is there is not enough animators for the sheer amount of project every season, and on top of that the animators are underpaid. Studios can keep up with their work, but that's because staff are doing way more than they should. The author of Full Metal Panic told the Internet to be kind to the staff. The director of Beatless even worked himself to the hospital. The director of Just Because said he's going to risk is life for it. If this trend continue, I can foresee animators leaving Japan to make anime for China and Korea for their own wealth and well-being.

As a consumer, we can't do anything about it, just let the market fix itself. Also it's not like we can't enjoy an anime because they use slideshow and CGI heavily. I don't value fluid visuals that much unless it's action or harem/ecchi. For something like comedy, character design, bgm and voice acting are like 200% more important to me. Not to mention most of the anime are still well-animated. I won't and really cannot complain, as long as I can see they had try their best to make up for the lack of animation.

nbyung09Aug 8, 2018 9:34 AM
Aug 8, 2018 9:06 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
KanonDE said:
@Manaban I haven't read your whole answer you gave to moe, but I don't think you can really understand what I feel about seasonals if you only start like 3, because I would probably like this season too if I would only start 3 anime.

Yeah, I don't particularly care to see where you're coming from to any extent. There's always the issue of being willing to give people benefit of the doubt and it backfires sometimes.

Such is life, I guess. No need to keep trying to justify your stance to me.

Aug 8, 2018 9:07 AM

May 2014
I remember in the good ol' days when I could watch my harem ecchi in peace without being attacked by bad CG, those were the days.
Aug 8, 2018 9:08 AM

Jul 2016
Manaban said:
And that depends on what we're defining as striving for greatness, because I kind of have the impression that many consider striving for greatness being a matter of incorporating certain themes and elements and having certain approaches, kind of haphazardly chasing subversive material at the cost of being able to assess things on a more holistic level and provide a less narrow perspective. I see something like Yuragi-sou from this season as striving for greatness, but that's due to its emphasis on the audio/visual elements such as the shots it takes and how it draws out its ecchi scenes - slowing down the scene and displaying it from multiple angles or making good use of panning shots to show crevices and outlines and all kinds of nice things like that, using audio/visual elements emphasizing the sexualization over the sheer act of something like panties being shown. Flowing upwards towards it and trying to make the most of it. And it's basic, but the complexity versus the simplicity of what a work communicates with its audience isn't exactly what I'd be willing to call for a benchmark of effort or ambition.

but it's just that even the better shows like Cells at Work, which is solid overall even if the visuals are iffy, are just solid and in no way exceptional.

I've picked up 3 shows this season, I think, and out of those 3 I can identify one as both striving and (somewhat) succeeding at being exceptional, which is kind of remarkable to me.

But hey, I do kind of have this outrageous idea that there isn't a single benchmark for things to measure against for whether or not they can be exceptional, though, and that there's more variables to be taken into consideration than just what it is and what it isn't. The criticism one would hypothetically make by looking at a painting of a landscape forest and saying "this should be a painting of a mountain instead" isn't exactly useful and I do kind of believe that understanding the identity of the work in question, substantiating it with evidence from the work in question if need be, and being able to extend additive thoughts and criticisms from there is generally the way to go for determining what's an exceptional work and what isn't. Anime isn't this all-inclusive entity, there's different ways for it to build and communicate with the audience and what's exceptional and what isn't is something that isn't determined on a broad, holistic level, as much as a variety of different subfields. So if your definition of what's exceptional and what isn't falls under a certain scope, and you're not getting really good/exceptional works under that scope then demeaning the entire season as bad and criticizing it for as much just seems to be a failure to be able to operate and understand works that fall outside of a pre-established boundary.

That, and, well, exceptional works are exceptional works because they're exceptional and if we got a work widely considered exceptional too frequently then I'd just be questioning the use of the word exceptional in a lot of cases rather than anything else. On a seasonal basis, a work being "exceptional" is most always welcome to me but if I were to criticize a season for not possessing at least one exceptional work in its field then I just think I'd be tossing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. It shouldn't be a label we diminish to the point of demanding it to be relatively commonplace - because it'll never be commonplace because it's fundamentally something that cannot be commonplace, and it's why a lot of discussion focused on the shortcomings are focused around ideas of improvement what went wrong and how it could've been better because that sort of improvement is simultaneously more additive and more able to built on and expanded on to try and voice ideas for actual improvement, rather than just superficially chasing the "exceptional" and decrying things pretty much solely for not being as such - and, on a holistic level, I'd still probably say that a season that possesses many solid works is going to be the better season in a broader scope than a season that possesses an exceptional work with a bunch of trite beneath it.

Okay I'm bad at properly quoting stuff so I'll just go over this haphazardly.

If your idea of striving for greatness for e.g. the hot springs ecchi is that it's actually animated and it uses the camera etc. in a way that supports or enhances what it is portraying (in this case panties), then I'll just stop you and say that this should be expected from every show. Of course "defining" what striving for greatness is relies on perspectives, just like everything else in art, but that doesn't mean that we can't try to rationalize our perspective.

And of course there isn't a single benchmark for everything? Noone ever said nor implied that. I'm sorry to make assumptions myself, but I feel like you are projecting what many other people have said onto me. As for Cells at Work and my usage of "exceptional": that wasn't a slight against the show, nor was I implying anything among the likes of a season without exceptional works not being the norm. And I definitely don't care to argue semantics. What I was saying is that Cells at Work is solidly written, with a somewhat interesting presentation of biology, but I don't find anything in the show that's really praise-worthy. It is just okayish to decent to me.

An okayish to decent show being among the few I'm still watching (I, too, dropped 25 shows) is not the norm for me. From my perspective, all I'm seeing is a few more trashy isekai, one of which at least seems to fulfill its role as ecchi comedy somewhat well for those interested in that type of content, a few ecchi shows, some of which are inoffensive while others make me feel like an oldtrarian even though most of my favorites are from the 2010s, and a lot of shows that are unambitious. Some of them are wacky fun, some of them suffer from weird pacing, but overall nothing worth gushing about.

This season is the worst season (to me, but do I really have to point this out in a discussion?!) since I started watching seasonals two years ago, and I've finished almost everything for the two years before that. Do I think this means anime is getting worse? No. Does it worry me? Also no. It's just a dry season. I'll live.

My backlog is way too huge for me to worry about the state of seasonals, anyway.

QUICK EDIT: Just so you know, I'm not saying ambition and effort equal a good work. I literally couldn't care less of someone put an extraordinary amount of effort into something. What matters to me is the end result. So if someone more talented whips up a better work with little effort (of course what is better is subjective, but the word "good/better" should already imply that!!), then I'll gladly take that over the work of the talentless but passionate creator. And there are too many overambitious works in TV anime already. I've lost count long ago. Ambition isn't really the right word, when all I'm asking for is to not retread the same old, same old. Like, I love moe, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but damn most of it is rehash that makes me want to watch the better version of almost the same content instead.
PitzerAug 8, 2018 9:27 AM
Aug 8, 2018 9:08 AM

Jun 2015
TooFiveFive said:
KanonDE said:
Seasonal anime were never the best, but I think that especially the current season is a new low for seasonals, because the anime studios literally gave up and just release slideshow/CGI anime.

I don't think it's fair to say that cgi = bad/lazy anime. Movies like kimi no na wa used cgi and it's praised for its great animation. I personally still enjoy seasonal anime since shows like Steins;Gate 0 and Attack on Titan have interesting plots and exceptional animation. If you compare every show to the likes of evangelion, you might be disappointed but there are a few show that many people consider good shows every season.

Oh it shouldn't sound like ''CGI = Bad'' it's more like the studios don't even try anymore to use more budget than the absolute minimum to produce some anime and it's just sad to see if some 2000s anime look better than the anime they release nowadays. If I take High score girl a CGI anime from this season as example it is actually one of the better ones this season despite being CGI.
Aug 8, 2018 9:09 AM

May 2014
Manaban said:
KanonDE said:

Yeah, I don't particularly care to see where you're coming from to any extent. There's always the issue of being willing to give people benefit of the doubt and it backfires sometimes.

>trusting mei, the shitpost king
hmmmmmmmmmmm
Aug 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Dec 2015
Ericonator said:
I remember in the good ol' days when I could watch my harem ecchi in peace without being attacked by bad CG, those were the days.

CG is cheaper and easier than hand drawn animation so for low budget shows i don't think you really should be expecting anything else.
Aug 8, 2018 9:11 AM

Jun 2015
Manaban said:
KanonDE said:

If my real opinion about the current state of anime is trolling in your opinion that is fine. :shrug:

Ericonator said:
Manaban said:

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Man ikr lmao

Yasgin said:
Ericonator said:

CG is cheaper and easier than hand drawn animation so for low budget shows i don't think you really should be expecting anything else.

It's probably true cause many studios can't afford anything else, but maybe they should just stop making anime instead

@Moelancholy
I made this thread cause I wanted to know if others might agree or maybe some people have a complete different opinion on the current state of seasons, but at least for me the quality of seasonals seem to drop more and more.
KanonDEAug 8, 2018 9:16 AM
Aug 8, 2018 9:12 AM

May 2014
Yasgin said:
Ericonator said:

CG boobs just don't have the same efect on my dick tho man, you gotta understand.
Aug 8, 2018 9:15 AM

Aug 2018
madarchod said:
I bet your mind will change after seeing the next season(fall) as that will have some very good old and new anime series like

Index 3
SAO 3
Goblin slayer
Slime datta ken
Golden kamui 2 and
fairy tail

Fairy Tail is shit, it’s presence makes the whole list shit
Aug 8, 2018 9:16 AM

Dec 2015
KanonDE said:
Manaban said:

If my real opinion about the current state of anime is trolling in your opinion that is fine. :shrug:

Ericonator said:
hmmmmmmmmmmm

Man ikr lmao

Yasgin said:

It's probably true cause many studios can't afford anything else, but maybe they should just stop making anime instead

The producers usually just want to make quick money on otakus and if they put low money into it will be easier to make a profit, but it usually blows up in their face anyway.

Ericonator said:
Yasgin said:

CG boobs just don't have the same efect on my dick tho man, you gotta understand.

yeah cg boobs don't have the same effect as the hand drawn ones.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

71 by AzafuseKingTora »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

42 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
17 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.