3It was OK
4.5%
2Disliked it
1.3%
1Hated it
1.3%
Average 4.7
156 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 1:20 AM

Feb 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Eyyy MAL forums are back :D

Gotta love the parent-child love that Umibouzu and Kamui share, and by that I mean the pure hatred haha.

Also exciting that the focus seems to be going back to Gintoki and the people on Earth now. Can't wait.
Aug 8, 2018 1:54 AM

Mar 2018
"Your sister ugly" - sogou
"No you " - kamui
Best argument and counter argument ever.
Aug 8, 2018 2:40 AM
Mar 2018
MdotO said:
"Your sister ugly" - sogou
"No you " - kamui
Best argument and counter argument ever.

Indeed...Wars should be resolved that way.
Aug 8, 2018 3:16 AM
Jan 2017
Is anyone else noticing the huge drop in animation quality since the shogun assassination arc?
Aug 8, 2018 3:35 AM

Dec 2015
Son_nish-kun20 said:
Is anyone else noticing the huge drop in animation quality since the shogun assassination arc?

There's a lot of things that you need to understand, first of all, arcs before were usually 3-5 episodes long with only Yoshiwara being 8 episodes long, and surrounding them was comedy arcs, on top of that, those arcs usually only had 1 or 2 episodes of heavy action, so that's why they always managed to put out great animation in serious arcs, but even then it's not as good as you probably believe it is, it was never that much better than where it is now. But then SA and FS came about, and that's 17 episodes back to back, with quite a lot of action, that's why certain episodes had to be sacrificed so that others could look better(for example episodes 304 and 305 are 2 of the best looking episodes in the entire series, but 303 and 306 were pretty weak). They can't just make every episode look great. Then another problem started after 2015, when they changed time-slots and thus had constraints, that's why it has to be 12-13 episodes per season, and the fact that Rakuyou and Silver Soul arcs are almost non-stop action, and now they have less time to animate everything. On top of that a lot of animators left the series over the years(because there's animator shortage in Japan right now, a lot of Anime are suffering from this).
Aug 8, 2018 3:59 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
No one talking about Nobunobu's death. #feelsbadman

Although he was an asshole, his final moments really got me emotional. The way he still forced his men to stop, even after being shot. Dude was a puppet his whole life, but he got to die as a king. Also hats off to Miki Shinichiro for nailing Sakamoto. Really felt the pain he was feeling with that top-tier voice acting.

The second half on the other hand had me laughing quite a bit. Gintoki making fun of Ane and Mone's appearance was awesome! As much as they're relevant, they're characters that got one episode worth of screen time almost 300 episode ago. And Umibozu's appearance, with him attacking Kamui, was great!
Aug 9, 2018 12:26 AM

Mar 2018
GoldenDevilGamer said:
No one talking about Nobunobu's death. #feelsbadman

Although he was an asshole, his final moments really got me emotional. The way he still forced his men to stop, even after being shot. Dude was a puppet his whole life, but he got to die as a king. Also hats off to Miki Shinichiro for nailing Sakamoto. Really felt the pain he was feeling with that top-tier voice acting.

The second half on the other hand had me laughing quite a bit. Gintoki making fun of Ane and Mone's appearance was awesome! As much as they're relevant, they're characters that got one episode worth of screen time almost 300 episode ago. And Umibozu's appearance, with him attacking Kamui, was great!

I didn't feel as much for the guy as I think I should have (mainly coz he killed Shogun and was a douche in general) but it was good to see him have a sort of redemption, first from the shogun's sister and then the 'rebels'.
Aug 9, 2018 4:58 AM

Feb 2013
Nobunobu is dead, good riddance, I will never feel sorry for that bastard.
Sadaharu is trying to save the world, cool.
Lol, Kamui didn't expect that last attack.
Aug 9, 2018 6:11 AM

Dec 2015
Ulquiorra said:
Nobunobu is dead, good riddance, I will never feel sorry for that bastard.
Sadaharu is trying to save the world, cool.
Lol, Kamui didn't expect that last attack.

You're not supposed to "Feel sorry" for him, and I don't think anyone does, you're greatly missing the point if you think that was the purpose of this scene, but you are being harsh by saying "good riddance" the man redeemed himself and did the best anyone could've done in this whole period of redemption and could've definitely become a good ruler of Edo if he lived, so it's not good riddance at all.
Aug 9, 2018 1:12 PM

Nov 2016
I hated Nobunobu at first but after seeing Sakamoto influences changing Nobunobu I started to like him more.

Despite all the terrible things he did in Farewell Shinsengumi Arc, he manages to change after Rakuyou Decisive Battle Arc after a clash with Uranus Hankai gaining a lot of influences from Sakamoto.

He redeems himself after all the sins he committed, helping against the amanto invaders alongside with Zura and Sakamoto. It shows how a villain can turn into a good person in the end.

Aug 10, 2018 8:39 AM

Jul 2017
rip NobuNobu :(
I started to really like his character after Zura and Sakamoto hung around him, it taught him a lot and changed him for the better.
Gonna miss this really well developed character :(
Gintama > One Piece = Naruto > Bleach > DBZ

Nyanko Big is my spirit animal.
Aug 10, 2018 3:00 PM
Mar 2018
Uchiha_Shadow said:
Son_nish-kun20 said:

There's a lot of things that you need to understand, first of all, arcs before were usually 3-5 episodes long with only Yoshiwara being 8 episodes long, and surrounding them was comedy arcs, on top of that, those arcs usually only had 1 or 2 episodes of heavy action, so that's why they always managed to put out great animation in serious arcs, but even then it's not as good as you probably believe it is, it was never that much better than where it is now. But then SA and FS came about, and that's 17 episodes back to back, with quite a lot of action, that's why certain episodes had to be sacrificed so that others could look better(for example episodes 304 and 305 are 2 of the best looking episodes in the entire series, but 303 and 306 were pretty weak). They can't just make every episode look great. Then another problem started after 2015, when they changed time-slots and thus had constraints, that's why it has to be 12-13 episodes per season, and the fact that Rakuyou and Silver Soul arcs are almost non-stop action, and now they have less time to animate everything. On top of that a lot of animators left the series over the years(because there's animator shortage in Japan right now, a lot of Anime are suffering from this).

And having poor animation these past seasons could also be a sign that they are keeping the good animation for later, meaning that the bad animation for the last while can be justified by future greatness and epicness. Maybe the final fight will be more crisp-looking than 305? I hope so!!
Aug 11, 2018 2:25 AM

Dec 2015
Lord_Dracule said:
Uchiha_Shadow said:

And having poor animation these past seasons could also be a sign that they are keeping the good animation for later, meaning that the bad animation for the last while can be justified by future greatness and epicness. Maybe the final fight will be more crisp-looking than 305? I hope so!!

I really wouldn't expect that much if I were you. If we say that 305 is an S level episode, then I'm expecting the big fight to be an A level episode. If you want more details on this ranking system of episodes' animation visit SenpaiJay98's profile.
Aug 13, 2018 11:13 AM

Dec 2015
This episode was so fucking boring and slow. I felt like I was watching for HOURS.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 3, 2018 4:24 PM

Nov 2013
Legitimately forgot Sadaharu was a dog deity lool.

Sep 12, 2018 10:38 AM

Dec 2014
the episode got intensified again.. Nobu dead and thensome
Oct 24, 2018 9:05 PM

May 2012
Quite the slow and mediocre episode, still decent but the current flow of things are getting a bit repetitive...
Dec 20, 2018 12:05 PM

Mar 2016
PLOTTWIST!
What a way to take the audiences off guard! Just when both sides have begun to calm down and cease their fighting thanks to Nobunobu's words. Some Amanto dude straight up killed the prince behind his back and shot through Nobunobu in the process.

Now that's some next level cowardly action!

Nobunobu has died, that just brought back the feels I got from when the previous shogun died, not to the same scale, but still man... Feels...

Aside from all these intense events, this ep got some jokes that don't feel too out of the place! And of course there's a 4th wall breaking joke too.
May 29, 2019 2:18 PM

Apr 2012
In the end Nobunobu parted honourably. Interesting character development to say the least.
Jun 11, 2019 7:07 AM

Jan 2018
Man, that cliffhanger from the last episode left me hanging a bit on Takasugi.

Nobunobu is a fool but died like a king.

Lol at Kamui and Sougou.
Jul 12, 2019 1:03 PM

May 2015
All hail random soldier who got double kill!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 28, 2019 3:40 AM
Apr 2018
Rip Nobunobu. Though I still can't forgive what he did to the true Shogun, I can respect what he did in the end. Leave it to Gintama to make 2 minor characters and a forgotten trait of the mascot a central plot point for the final arc.
Nov 25, 2019 2:45 PM
Apr 2016
Nobunobu died, and I'm glad, he deserved to die even though he was changing quite a bit the recent episodes.
Nov 29, 2019 7:00 PM

Mar 2015
More and more people dying :(
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 25, 2020 11:25 AM

May 2016
NordicHorde said:
Rip Nobunobu. Though I still can't forgive what he did to the true Shogun, I can respect what he did in the end. Leave it to Gintama to make 2 minor characters and a forgotten trait of the mascot a central plot point for the final arc.
exactly how I felt but I still teared for him.
Mar 20, 2020 4:52 PM

Jan 2013
Nobunobu definitely redeemed himself somewhat, I honestly believe he could've been a good leader eventually if that's what Edo needed (which we've learned, it doesn't)
Apr 21, 2020 1:18 PM

Aug 2019
RIP Nobunobu. He started out as one of the most hated character but redeemed himself enough that I felt quite emotional at his death, even though I can't forgive him for killing the Shogun. Loved how his character was developed through the influence of Sakamoto and Katsura.
The second part was funny with Kamui and Sougo and with Umibozu finally showing up.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Sep 8, 2020 9:10 PM

Aug 2018
At least they stopped the liberation army, but the Naraku are the problem now. The new shogun died, at first he was a horrible guy but he changed and became good, so I felt a bit sad by this but then I remembered that he was the one who had Shigeshige killed and I stopped feeling sad.

Oct 24, 2020 8:22 PM

Jul 2020
RIP Nobunobu, at least he redeemed himself, but I still wish he didn't die.

And finally the family reunion in earth lol.
Jul 3, 2021 1:25 PM

May 2020
RIP Nobunobu;-; for me, I hated him until he redeemed himself and is kind of likable.
Jeez, the animation quality... Again, I mostly don't mind, I've watched worst.
Aug 5, 2021 5:19 AM
Sep 2020
That okikagu n kamui interaction was GOLD...but rest was meh...this anime is obsessed with making every single villain a good guy at the end...Its so shi*ty and forced..this is become even more obvious in long action arcs...Worst season out of all gintama up until now..I was not paying attention when i watched it weekly but now when i binge watch...its forced cringe Ridiculouz drama overloop..Its like all flaws of gintama made obvious due to long arcs...but the last 5 mins were good..and umibozu
Sharry_GamiAug 5, 2021 5:39 AM
Oct 15, 2021 12:06 AM

Dec 2018
Bruhhh this scene, my heart... *sobs*

also I'm loving Kagura and Kamui's siblings spat xd, and now Umiboze joins ;v
Dec 3, 2021 4:28 PM

Jun 2020
RIP NobuNobu, his death was handled perfectly. Moments before, some characters like Katsura still never accepted him as the shogun but they still supported him. I love how NobuNobu changed throughout the past 2 arcs and at the end of his life was mature enough to know he wasn't fit as a shogun, but could still take on some form of leadership. His last speech really reminded me of one from Erwin from AOT and I never could've imagined him saying that when he was first introduced. 5/5
Mar 8, 2022 8:45 PM

Nov 2010
Oh man, I didn't expect Nobunobu to die here. I was hoping he'd make it back to Earth to be completely forgiven by Soyo. At least he got his redemption arc.

The priestess waifus! It's been a long time.

I'm guessing Sadaharu will be the next to go? Oh man... not the doggo.
Apr 7, 2022 12:51 PM

Feb 2012
ok shit they made me feel for Nobunobu and here i thought i'd never care about him..
He was an asshole and he deserved to die but he was also manipulated from start to finish. The first real actions he took on hiw own ended up being good actions.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Jun 5, 2022 1:48 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So in the end it's really a random dude that got Nobunobu... well nobody liked him because of what he did but his end was emotional.
Also now Umibouzu is back! Though that's no time to fight against Kamui xD
Jul 24, 2022 1:51 PM

Jul 2021
Nobunobu Hitotsubashi (一橋 喜々) redeems himself ;_;
Watching him and Shigeshige together made me cry my heart out
Jul 31, 2022 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
I teared a little bit on that bastards last moments! Amazing character conclusion for an asshole character like NobuNobu.

2nd half was enjoyable & Hilarious. Sadaharu is going to save the earth, I forgot that they can control the energy of Altana.
Umibozu at the end, lol
Aug 26, 2022 11:05 PM
Aug 2021
Nobunobu dying makes me sad despite the fact that he was such a douche when he was first introduced, however, his development ever since the decisive battle of rakuyo arc makes me like him more and more. It truly is a shame.
Sep 30, 2022 2:24 AM

Apr 2013
One thing I can always count on, Gintama will never surprise me. No matter how many people you killed or what other evil deeds you committed yourself to in the past, people will forgive you.
Nov 26, 2022 3:24 AM

Jan 2020
Well, the last shogun sure didn't last long.....
Nov 26, 2022 3:24 AM

Jan 2020
I've lost count of how many times they said RUN every time Utsuro's minion appear....
Dec 27, 2022 3:29 AM

Apr 2022
shogun had a complete 180
Oct 28, 2023 2:04 PM

Mar 2019
Noo Nobunobuuu :(

Yes I hated him for what he did, but he tried to do good in the end and he did. It was so sad and well-done that I honestly didn't want him to go. The scene where Shigeshige appeared was emotional even though the OST could have been a sadder one. All in all it was an amazing first part.

The second half was nice, although my mind was still in the first half. Nice ending with Umibozu going for Kamui, lol. And it certainly is a surprising moment to see those 2 sisters again, which had a very funny small arc a LONG time ago. And speaking of, Umibozu's entrance and Kamui's help were so badass, I was really worried someone bad stopped Nobume.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Oct 7, 2018

142 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 3, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 30, 2018

76 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 2, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Aug 26, 2018

94 by MewkiWay »»
Jan 25, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 23, 2018

54 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 24, 2023 12:53 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 16, 2018

51 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 24, 2023 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.