Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 8, 2018 6:16 AM

Jan 2018
The last few episodes were trash. I don't think anyone would protect them.

Aug 8, 2018 6:19 AM

Aug 2017
I only here to say that Darling in the FranXX was one of the worst anime what I saw from the year. It was never good in the first place. PD: ep 14 was great! 2/10.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 8, 2018 6:21 AM
Apr 2016
Tipo said:
well @bitchassdarius will! No matter what lol
Aug 8, 2018 6:23 AM

Aug 2018
Initially, before the tragic 2nd half aired it was a solid 8.5 possible 9 for me but I ended up giving it a 7
Aug 8, 2018 6:26 AM

Apr 2015
Tipo said:

Eh, I liked them. Don't see the need to protect anything as I couldn't give more of damn about anything other people say. Doesn't mean I wouldn't if i actually gave a damn.
Aug 8, 2018 6:29 AM
Oct 2017
The last few episodes were actually masterpieces and the rest of it is garbage. The haters are too dumb to get it and the fans are too dumb to actually understand what they like about it
Aug 8, 2018 7:15 AM

Apr 2016
Swagernator said:
It's already dead, man... don't bring it back to life its not worth it.
I kinda agree. This show ain't worth that much discussion (it doesn't even have a unique identity and there's really nothing new to say about it). Then again, it's so fucking awful that it deserves another beating XD

I just wanna see the show drop even further so that it isn't within the top 1000
Aug 8, 2018 7:30 AM
Aug 2016
>implying that someone expected this show to have a score higher than 8.00
Aug 8, 2018 7:32 AM

Feb 2018
Honestly after seeing the ending and how the plot progressed I thought it should be rated 6 or something. The ending was total bs, zero two the only character that I love, who was butchered with shitty personality after ep 15 or 16 (don't remember), full of plot wholes, adding unnecessary elements all over the place, dull main character and forgettable side characters. It was a total mess at the end and a wasted potential. God knows what went wrong with the staff. Even after having good ppl working behind it idk how did they screw up so badly.
Aug 8, 2018 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
the only thing that annoyed me more is your whole "don´t give me that ratings dont matter bs". ratings in fact don´t really matter. well, they do only for those that actually believe that these ratings are some form of objective standard that is immutable. in the end all ratings are based on the perspective and standards of thousands of different people and all of them rate shows on different criteria.

there is no "objectively good", you´re not a perfect flawless being to be capable of making a statement without bias or illogical thinking. so yes, do swallow the hard truth that these ratings that people give are no more than an average of an arbitrary numeral system to quantify how much people think a certain show is good. grow up a bit and try to open your narrow minded thinking
Aug 8, 2018 8:27 AM

Nov 2012
Mayuka said:
I thought this anime was widely hated in the anime community?

It is.

It even reached a point where MAL had better taste than /a/. Times are changing I tell you.

And after seeing the top reviews for this pure shit anime, for once, I might be proud to say I have a MAL account.
Aug 8, 2018 8:33 AM

Oct 2013
It was still good until episode 19 but after that it went downhill fast.
Aug 8, 2018 8:39 AM

Jul 2013
It's a pretty shit anime, not sure I'll pick it up again from where I left it, around episode 8 or 9.
Aug 8, 2018 8:50 AM

May 2013
The moment Mitsuru x Kokoro happened all was starting to fall apart. Best thing is that some producers stated in an interview that they didn't have plans for the second half and wanted it to develop naturally from episode 15 and onwards. Also the committee had time restrains and communication problems throughout the show, that explains the mess they created at the end.
Aug 8, 2018 8:55 AM

May 2015
You seem to care a lot. Why?

Aug 8, 2018 8:59 AM

May 2013
Nah I did care once and I regret it now
Aug 8, 2018 9:04 AM

Nov 2012
Striker-3649 said:
To all those fans who were saying it will easily cross 8.30 or even 8.50 back when it was still airing, where are you now? Its on 7.75 already.
P.s.: Dont gimme that ratings are irrelevant crap

I predict it to end up around the same as A/Z. It really deserves sub 7, but this is MAL, so it being sub 8 alone is a miracle right now.

TheISOlatoR said:
The moment Mitsuru x Kokoro happened all was starting to fall apart. Best thing is that some producers stated in an interview that they didn't have plans for the second half and wanted it to develop naturally from episode 15 and onwards. Also the committee had time restrains and communication problems throughout the show, that explains the mess they created at the end.

After episode 11 and the actions of CUCKWHORO, this anime was cemented as 2/10. When she didn't die a horrible and painful death in the following episode, le memory wipe and then AYYLMAOs in space, it was 1/10.

And still people defend the writing of Nishigori..... I don't even.....
Aug 8, 2018 9:38 AM

Jun 2012
I thought it would stay around that rating until about episode 16 or 17 rolled around. Then it just went completely off the rails and turned into TTGL but without anything that made that show good.
Aug 8, 2018 10:03 AM
Jul 2018
Golden_Scarlett said:
Wasshio said:

To be fair is it just me or is MAL getting a bit too much when it comes to that part? Now I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize but I've been noticing a pretty weird stigma around it.

And as for S;G 0 I can't comment much since I'm not too ahead of it yet.

>To be fair is it just me or is MAL getting a bit too much when it comes to that part? Now I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize but I've been noticing a pretty weird stigma around it.
explain what u mean by this fam

Before 2016, not a lot of series got multiple shats below a 7. Around 2016 or the beginning, a lot of scores started to get that treatment from the get go and a lot of the entries has below a 7, applying to the fact that MAL at the current moment is more critical than before.
Aug 8, 2018 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
It definitely had the potential to break 8.30+

Except once the last few episodes started rolling out. It's like the writers stopped giving a shit and just wanted to flex their art and animation
Aug 8, 2018 10:24 AM

Apr 2016
Short_Circut said:

Except once the last few episodes started rolling out. It's like the writers stopped giving a shit and just wanted to flex their art and animation
Honestly, I rarely felt like the writers gave a shit, even in the early episodes. Sure, we got episodes 10 and 11 that actually tried to do something with world-building and actually letting our characters be more fleshed out and have something to do despite still being one-not as balls, but the show everywhere else reeked of trying desperately to be other shows without understanding what made any of them good. Even the visuals were subpar, with fights that never have a sense of impact to any attack, glaring frame-rate slowdown issues in the beginning and end, mostly lame character designs (which is why no one markets the males and only the females and the robots), and a weird misuse and overuse of aspect ratio manipulation. The finale is undoubtedly worse than the rest of the show tho
Aug 8, 2018 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
Short_Circut said:

Honestly, I rarely felt like the writers gave a shit, even in the early episodes. Sure, we got episodes 10 and 11 that actually tried to do something with world-building and actually letting our characters be more fleshed out and have something to do despite still being one-not as balls, but the show everywhere else reeked of trying desperately to be other shows without understanding what made any of them good. Even the visuals were subpar, with fights that never have a sense of impact to any attack, glaring frame-rate slowdown issues in the beginning and end, mostly lame character designs (which is why no one markets the males and only the females and the robots), and a weird misuse and overuse of aspect ratio manipulation. The finale is undoubtedly worse than the rest of the show tho

I do agree and disagree on your sentence.

But it is clear as day that the writers didn't had an idea what to even do with the second half. I think as I said before, it could have been a better idea to leave all of these things up to interpretation since the series established a "show don't tell" aspect.

Yeah they don't have to keep it all the time, and at points you do need to drop that to make it clear for some people in the narrative, however they did it in a sense where it went against them hard.

For me the show could have been better off without the main plot about the entire system, and instead it would be about the characters questioning their own urges as well as their surroundings. Where as Zero Two's focus would mainly be her selfish desire. That particular part in specific wasn't executed well by the end and I do like that in concept, execution could have been much better.
Aug 8, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2017
CodeBlazeFate said:
Short_Circut said:

I think there were lots of different moments where the show had the potential to have really good plot development, but it was disregarded in favour of "character development." Hell, I'd be fine if they tried to desperately be other shows if they actually went anywhere with it.

So yeah, I guess you're more right in saying the writers really didn't give a shit early on (except for a few instances of course)
Aug 8, 2018 10:45 AM

Jan 2017
Zorome was the real MVC (most valuable character) of the show. At least for me. Especially how he looked all grown up at the end after the aging.

ZeroTwo was trash from the beginning, Hiro was just overly boring and *mostly utterly useless, and Ichigo got railed repeatedly to the point where it wasn't even worth rooting for her since you knew she was always going to get shafted (but Ichigo is easily 1million x better than ZeroTwo ever could be). The people that like ZeroTwo are just people who needed something to jerk off to their fantasies and wanted to be mildly 'edgy' while not at all caring about real *quality* characteristics.

Aug 8, 2018 11:10 AM

Apr 2016
Wasshio said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I do agree and disagree on your sentence.

But it is clear as day that the writers didn't had an idea what to even do with the second half. I think as I said before, it could have been a better idea to leave all of these things up to interpretation since the series established a "show don't tell" aspect.

Yeah they don't have to keep it all the time, and at points you do need to drop that to make it clear for some people in the narrative, however they did it in a sense where it went against them hard.

For me the show could have been better off without the main plot about the entire system, and instead it would be about the characters questioning their own urges as well as their surroundings. Where as Zero Two's focus would mainly be her selfish desire. That particular part in specific wasn't executed well by the end and I do like that in concept, execution could have been much better.
Part of what would have helped would be if the characters were more consistent, and if the plot actually went with and highlighted their natural growth more over the series of events that took place. Would have made seemingly boring archetypal characters feel like a genuine group of human beings we can invest in. Their adult character designs are so much better than their earlier ones and honestly, f they did what I just brought up, seeing them the rest would've definitely been more of an emotional moment for more people. As they are now, it's impossible for me to care. The writer definitely had no foresight, which is a shame as I would have loved to have been surprised by me enjoying the show.
Aug 8, 2018 11:19 AM

Apr 2018
*Spoilers, but I honestly don't think anyone cares*
The beginning of the show did look quite promising. But it never expanded on the topics that I was hoping it would. Like I was really excited to see Hiro's struggles with him loosing his humanity, and to see how his character changes because of it. Additionally, I was disappointed that Squad 13 just accepted that he was loosing his humanity, especially after they saw his horns. If the show focused more on what Hiro was experiencing as he was loosing his humanity, and the turmoil inside Squad 13 that should've developed from it. It would've been really neat to see what kinds of arguments arose, maybe even some double crossing by Hiro and 02 to fight against the humans. I know that these are just my thoughts, but they already seem much more interesting compared to the alien bs that they gave us.

So in my opinion, the reason the score dropped so much isn't because of bad writing or uninteresting characters, but because they weren't able to tell a good, coherent story. And in the end, that's what left us disappointed.
Aug 8, 2018 11:20 AM

Apr 2016
Short_Circut said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I think there were lots of different moments where the show had the potential to have really good plot development, but it was disregarded in favour of "character development." Hell, I'd be fine if they tried to desperately be other shows if they actually went anywhere with it.

So yeah, I guess you're more right in saying the writers really didn't give a shit early on (except for a few instances of course)
There were moments where it tried to flesh out the characters' backstories while giving some more insight into the unfortunately broken worldbuilding, but those were few and far between, and the narrative shoulda let the characters be more consistent and capable of changing naturally instread of at the drop of a hat. It's a real lack of foresight beyond "let's try to do what these popular shows do" that sank this ship.
Aug 8, 2018 11:55 AM

Apr 2018
A lot of people say the characters were dull and uninteresting fro the beginning. And, I sort of agree with them. But don't all anime characters start off dull and uninteresting? Its the experiences they go through, the decisions the make, and the way they change that makes them interesting and important to us. That's exactly what DitF did wrong. Out of the 10 main characters, only two of them showed any sort of dramatic change from the beginning to the end of the series.
The writers could have easily killed off a couple of the members of Squad 13. This would've allowed for more screen time for the remaining characters, which probably would have changed because of the deaths of their teammates.

I'm not trying to say that the story wasn't dark enough, it's just that there were too many characters for a single 24-episode series to give enough screen time and backstory to each of them. And the fact that the writers chose not to narrow down the large cast ended up being a poor decision.
Aug 8, 2018 1:39 PM

Apr 2016
Zepphire said:
A lot of people say the characters were dull and uninteresting fro the beginning. And, I sort of agree with them. But don't all anime characters start off dull and uninteresting? Its the experiences they go through, the decisions the make, and the way they change that makes them interesting and important to us. That's exactly what DitF did wrong. Out of the 10 main characters, only two of them showed any sort of dramatic change from the beginning to the end of the series.
The writers could have easily killed off a couple of the members of Squad 13. This would've allowed for more screen time for the remaining characters, which probably would have changed because of the deaths of their teammates.

I'm not trying to say that the story wasn't dark enough, it's just that there were too many characters for a single 24-episode series to give enough screen time and backstory to each of them. And the fact that the writers chose not to narrow down the large cast ended up being a poor decision.
Honestly, in a good anime, many characters are entertaining right out the bat, with fun character designs and personalities. They definitely get better but they usually hook you in real quick. The FranXX cast doesn't do that. It's hard to get invested in their backstories when we don't have very good reason to get invested in them as characters and people in the first place. They weren't consistently written, nor were any of them written in a compelling way beyond backstories for 4 of them.
Aug 8, 2018 6:02 PM

Oct 2015
Wasshio said:
Golden_Scarlett said:

>To be fair is it just me or is MAL getting a bit too much when it comes to that part? Now I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize but I've been noticing a pretty weird stigma around it.
explain what u mean by this fam

Before 2016, not a lot of series got multiple shats below a 7. Around 2016 or the beginning, a lot of scores started to get that treatment from the get go and a lot of the entries has below a 7, applying to the fact that MAL at the current moment is more critical than before.

oh
then you're right
i blame the fact that i join mal around that time and bookmakered everyone to become elitists :>
but i guess it was around that time, that seasonal anime started really taking off after the dead period of 2015, with erased konosuba. then re:zero
so people finally entered seasonal hell
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Aug 8, 2018 6:33 PM

Apr 2017
Pixel_Vapour said:
I dropped it from episode 3 but maybe I'll pick it back up again
Please don't. You'll waste some precious time that you can spend on googling anime tiddies.

Aug 8, 2018 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
Golden_Scarlett said:
Wasshio said:

oh
then you're right
i blame the fact that i join mal around that time and bookmakered everyone to become elitists :>
but i guess it was around that time, that seasonal anime started really taking off after the dead period of 2015, with erased konosuba. then re:zero

I can see where you're coming from with that but, yeah I've noticed that pattern because anime didn't got hammered this badly when it comes to seasonals until Winter 2016. Some are justified, but a lot of these at face value are rather ridiculous.
Aug 8, 2018 7:14 PM

Oct 2015
Wasshio said:
Golden_Scarlett said:

oh
then you're right

I can see where you're coming from with that but, yeah I've noticed that pattern because anime didn't got hammered this badly when it comes to seasonals until Winter 2016. Some are justified, but a lot of these at face value are rather ridiculous.

this is why we need to burn seasonals and go back to the good ol day of fansub, or every seasonal is netflix,
10/10, all mal anime would have better scores
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Aug 8, 2018 8:19 PM
Mar 2017
You know an anime is dun fucked up when Reddit,MAL,and 4chan can't even defending it.
Aug 9, 2018 8:49 AM

Jan 2013
Striker-3649 said:
To all those fans who were saying it will easily cross 8.30 or even 8.50 back when it was still airing, where are you now? Its on 7.75 already.
>taking ratings from mal seriously

Oh I am laffin at both sides.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 9, 2018 9:39 AM

Dec 2010
Striker-3649 said:

With ending like this, the 7.75 average is still generous. The last 4-5 episodes were clusterfuck. No wonder it sunk down so hard.
Aug 11, 2018 8:14 PM

Sep 2009
Raise your hand if you saw this coming a mile away.

A little critical thinking in the Anime community would go a long fucking way.
Aug 11, 2018 8:46 PM

Aug 2016
Episode 6 resolving a seemingly hopeless situation with power of love was already a big red flag to me, so I wasn't expecting anything from this show. They did a good job at deceiving me into believing it was going to get good in episodes 7-13, though, I'll give 'em that.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 12, 2018 12:50 AM

Apr 2016
LordLagann said:

I saw franxx being shit even before Re: Zero was released.
Aug 13, 2018 2:52 AM

May 2013
LordLagann said:

Why did we even expect too much of the show in the first place? it's japan, it's anime, some things never change and it was always possible that this series will be a trainwreck with a shit ending. Makes me still sad cause I really had high hopes and expectations for DitF to become something great
Aug 13, 2018 2:54 AM

Jun 2015
Wasshio said:
OutlawedDrifter said:
It was ok until after episode 15 where it started to go downhill but still ok, but Ep 19 and beyond was just them trying to be Gurren Lagaan/Gunbuster and failing miserably. The whole "AILENS" plot twist couldve been better had it had more episodes rather than being crammed into 5-6 episodes.

I will agree that the entire aliens part could have been expanded upon with more episodes. It just feels like they kind of wasted time and space and didn't knew what to do with the closure being close.

After seeing the result they could have maybe cut down the character focus arcs a little and not a lot could have been lost, despite me liking that part of the series as a whole.

I didnt even understand it.
I liked the first part but it really turned trash.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 13, 2018 8:03 AM

Apr 2016
Swagernator said:
LordLagann said:

I saw franxx being shit even before Re: Zero was released.
Even looking at the poster before the show aired, I had a feeling it would be utter drivel. I just didn't know exactly how bad things would get.
Aug 13, 2018 8:40 AM

Sep 2011
Aymen_Maf said:
Pixel_Vapour said:
I dropped it from episode 3 but maybe I'll pick it back up again
Please don't. You'll waste some precious time that you can spend on googling anime tiddies.

True. I really regret that I finished the whole thing when I was already having thoughts of dropping this show since episode 10 if I remember correctly.

Aug 15, 2018 1:07 AM
Aug 2018
I'm not gonna defend the anime, but I have to admit, I enjoyed the show since it kinda have that Eureka Seven-ish vibe in it. But still tho, the last 4 episodes are shit, especially the ending, never liked those reincarnation thingy.
Aug 15, 2018 1:45 AM
Jan 2018
Man, those last 4 episodes made me almost hate it, and cry at the same time. :(
Aug 15, 2018 2:43 AM

Sep 2015
I liked it but I felt dissatisfied towards the end.
I think the end was too tragic, it's not what I wanted after all they went through.
So a lower rating sounds alright.
can dis sig fit
Sep 22, 2018 5:42 AM

Mar 2017
Quste said:
https://imgur.com/a/ii3HHXj
DitF is a social commentary on contemporary Japanese society where young adults stay single and don't have children...
He also says that althouh his creation may be filled with artificial ingredients, he hopes kids will get something from his anime like he did as a kid watching anime.
well, it certainly did show realistic take on how romantic relationships are :/
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Dec 9, 2018 6:04 PM
Dec 2018
It's rather frustrating to go literally anywhere on the internet and see that wherever this show is discussed, people do absolutely nothing but shit on it (except for the show's subreddit, but that's to be expected. No real discussion ever happens on that shitshow of a site). I also don't get why everyone gets so obsessed with nitpicking every single little thing in a show; I thought we're watching anime to enjoy it and have some fun. And with FranXX, i sure as hell had fun. From Zero Two's antics (up until ep 16) to Zorome being Zorome, the entirety of episode 8 (good god that was so much fun to see), the relationships between the pilots of each mech, the fights against the Klaxosaurs, the giant robot bit-i mean- cat-fight between Ichigo and Zero Two and basically the entire second half of ep 15, I seriously had a lot of fun watching this show
Don't ask me to defend the last three episodes of FranXX though, I mostly just watched those last episodes to see how it ended, and if it got any better. Shit ending tbh.
Dec 9, 2018 6:42 PM

Nov 2018
Quste said:
https://imgur.com/a/ii3HHXj
DitF is a social commentary on contemporary Japanese society where young adults stay single and don't have children...
He also says that althouh his creation may be filled with artificial ingredients, he hopes kids will get something from his anime like he did as a kid watching anime.
As what I get from DitF is about saving and prosperity of humanity which is shown very clear in the show, the said social commentary has indeed reached to me. This is good.
Dec 11, 2018 5:19 AM

May 2016
The score of the show is now 7:69
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

65 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Yesterday, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 5, 2018

364 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 23, 1:15 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2018

707 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 23, 12:34 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

640 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 22, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

282 by louiboui08 »»
Apr 21, 6:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.