Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese voice acting is not always flawless and kinda of overrated.

New
May 27, 2018 7:31 PM
Apr 2018
So about two days ago, I was talking to one of my friends from job corps his family is Japanese but he was born and raised in the USA. We were talking about anime he said something about looking at some anime in dub I laughed. Because he can speak Japanese I always thought he watches it in a sub he said that in some anime the actors over actor and he finds it annoying.

And it got me thinking do people in America automatically assume that Japanese acting is just better because of a language barrier? Therefore harder on dubs when they don't overact and try to do their own thing.
May 27, 2018 7:52 PM

Nov 2015
Its probably true that the fact that most western anime fans don't speak Japanese makes them exaggerate how good a Japanese dub really is compared to an English one. It's easier to tell a bad dub from a good dub when you speak the language after all.
However, bear in mind that voice acting is a lot more valued and professional in Japan than it is in the United States. Hence why a lot of US dubs are unfortunately mediocre at best and why Japanese dubs seem so much better in comparison. The bottom line is that while it might be true that Japanese dubs are not as perfect as people make them out to be, they are still probably better than English dubs for the most part.
May 27, 2018 8:19 PM

May 2013
Man Japanese sounds so much better with it. I feel like the western dubs actually sound over-acted in comparison.

I mean, it's not like they use hollywood actors in anime, but... you kinda get that vibe on it sometimes.

Not surprising as anime originated in Japan.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 27, 2018 8:28 PM
Apr 2018
Arezu said:
Its probably true that the fact that most western anime fans don't speak Japanese makes them exaggerate how good a Japanese dub really is compared to an English one. It's easier to tell a bad dub from a good dub when you speak the language after all.
However, bear in mind that voice acting is a lot more valued and professional in Japan than it is in the United States. Hence why a lot of US dubs are unfortunately mediocre at best and why Japanese dubs seem so much better in comparison. The bottom line is that while it might be true that Japanese dubs are not as perfect as people make them out to be, they are still probably better than English dubs for the most part.
While I do agree that VA work is much more in Japan I going have to disagree on the mediocre part dubs at least in the past 3 years have been excellent hell some might even match the Japanese or go past that. Just my opinion thanks reply tho.
May 27, 2018 8:31 PM

Dec 2013
I generally think Japanese voice actors are better however there is a specific problem with anime where seiyuu who can only do 1 voice get extremely popular and end up with a lot of roles. I really dislike Kappei Yamaguchi as a voice actor for example, I think he is just the worst, any piece he touches is lessened and any anime where he has the leading role should be watched dubbed instead. It's absolutely horrific when they can only do one voice so you end up associating every single character they do with the first role you heard them as.

May 27, 2018 8:35 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, there are stinkers, Wonder Momo's voice acting was garbage, frothy foam, last second voice acting, then you have Yuri Seijin Naoko-san with a horrible choice for a VA for Naoko-san that made her sound like an old lady. Girlfriend (Kari) has Erena who has a voice that sounds like frothy foam in a washing machine.

May 27, 2018 8:39 PM

Dec 2016
The problem with DUBS is for decades they had the exact same 5 English actors in everything! But the actor that annoyed me the most was Tony Oliver, he just has this whiney tone to his voice that drives me up the wall.
May 27, 2018 8:41 PM

Dec 2008
It's like any language, there are people who don't do the best job speaking their native tongue and to somebody who doesn't speak that language it seems like they are really good because they don't know what the other is saying. In other words just because the average american who doesn't speak japanese thinks the japanese va is perfect doesn't make it so.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 27, 2018 8:43 PM
Apr 2018
Cbr_Star said:
The problem with DUBS is for decades they had the exact same 5 English actors in everything! But the actor that annoyed me the most was Tony Oliver, he just has this whiney tone to his voice that drives me up the wall.
Might want to some more research they are way more than 5
May 27, 2018 8:45 PM

Oct 2016
I don't like the Japanese language at all and I don't understand people who think anime is only good in Japanese, like the language is some sort of sacred thing. I only watch dubs as I feel like it's easier to identify myself to. I can't stand the Japanese high-pitched annoying moe voices.
May 27, 2018 8:52 PM

Dec 2016
Lolwatyouwant said:
Cbr_Star said:
Might want to some more research they are way more than 5

Now days there are, but for a long time all the dubbing was done by only one to two studio's and they shared the same roster of actors.
May 27, 2018 8:53 PM

Nov 2015
Lolwatyouwant said:
Arezu said:
While I do agree that VA work is much more in Japan I going have to disagree on the mediocre part dubs at least in the past 3 years have been excellent hell some might even match the Japanese or go past that. Just my opinion thanks reply tho.

As someone who watches English dubs regularly, I also agree that the quality of dubs has improved in the past few years, especially as anime is becoming more mainstream with streaming services like Netflix. However, we can’t ignore the fact that for many years dubs have been sub-par in the US and that this stigma has and will stick around for a while.
May 27, 2018 9:05 PM
Apr 2018
Arezu said:
Lolwatyouwant said:

As someone who watches English dubs regularly, I also agree that the quality of dubs has improved in the past few years, especially as anime is becoming more mainstream with streaming services like Netflix. However, we can’t ignore the fact that for many years dubs have been sub-par in the US and that this stigma has and will stick around for a while.
Oh yeah, of course,even though I am new to anime (for about 2 years) seen some shit dubs
May 27, 2018 10:51 PM

Nov 2015
I find the Japanese voice actors to be more talented and they have a wider range of voices then their western counterparts. Its not really surprising as the voice acting in japan is bigger and more lucrative then western voice acting.
May 27, 2018 11:11 PM

Oct 2017
Japanase voice actors take the role seriously at least this is how i feel.I'm not claiming that English voice actors are bad or they don't care about their roles, but many dubs seemed way too forced to me.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
May 27, 2018 11:19 PM

Jun 2011
Fate_Saber88 said:
Japanase voice actors take the role seriously at least this is how i feel.I'm not claiming that English voice actors are bad or they don't care about their roles, but many dubs seemed way too forced to me.

Most dubs are done with a cold reading and never reading together once. XD
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 27, 2018 11:28 PM

Apr 2018
Dub is usually worse not because of the acting (most of the actors there are very, very talented), but because of the script.

Idk, the translation from Japanese to English just seems awkward to me, and I don't really blame them. Some dubs pull it off though
May 27, 2018 11:43 PM

Sep 2011
Kerylon said:
Dub is usually worse not because of the acting (most of the actors there are very, very talented), but because of the script.

Idk, the translation from Japanese to English just seems awkward to me, and I don't really blame them. Some dubs pull it off though

Really? Based on few anime with English dubbed that I've watched, at the very least their Japanese to English translation is quite accurate so script shouldn't be a problem. Although you can take my statement with a grain of salt because I occasionally watch English dubbed anime.

May 27, 2018 11:47 PM

Apr 2018
Tennouji said:
Kerylon said:

Really? Based on few anime with English dubbed that I've watched, at the very least their Japanese to English translation is accurate so script shouldn't be a problem. Although you can take my statement with a grain of salt because I occasionally watch English dubbed anime.

To be fair, I don't watch that many and the only ones I have watched are pure garbage.

If I were to bring up one example then I'd say Yu-Gi-Oh DM. The VA's for the most part are pretty good (especially Dan Green), but the anime replaces most of the script with cringy puns and catchphrases that honestly just dumbed down the source material just for the sake of making it a kid's show
May 27, 2018 11:53 PM

Sep 2011
Kerylon said:
Tennouji said:

Really? Based on few anime with English dubbed that I've watched, at the very least their Japanese to English translation is accurate so script shouldn't be a problem. Although you can take my statement with a grain of salt because I occasionally watch English dubbed anime.

To be fair, I don't watch that many and the only ones I have watched are pure garbage.

If I were to bring up one example then I'd say Yu-Gi-Oh DM. The VA's for the most part are pretty good (especially Dan Green), but the anime replaces most of the script with cringy puns and catchphrases that honestly just dumbed down the source material just for the sake of making it a kid's show

Oh the puns and catchphrases. Well it's not surprising. Those two are really hard to convert into English language while making them sound natural when spoken in English. Not to mention if they're dealing with Japanese humor, most likely they'll have no choice but to change something into some English humor.

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 6 hours ago

2 by BitChilly »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 10 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
1 hour ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

3 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - Yesterday

21 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.