Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 25, 2018 5:42 AM

Aug 2016
https://www.strawpoll.me/15769779

As simple as it sounds. Allow for having numbered priorities instead of being restricted to low, medium, and high. Anime would still be able to share the same priority, or course. There would be much greater versatility for the priority function, which currently has limited usefulness.

EDIT: Better to put this in the first post.

Exhibit A - My on hold list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sanic_de_Hegehog?status=3&order=-3

I like to use this area to keep the anime I want to watch in the immediate future. As you can see, I had to resort to using fake dates to order them nice and neatly. Of course, I am content with this system, but numbered priorities would make this sort of thing a lot easier for a lot more people.

Exhibit B - list ordering:
With numbered priorities I imagine most people would change priority to zero once certain anime are completed, however, for completed anime, priority could gain a new use. If somebody wants to order their list in a very specific way, they now can. I realise this is a bit niche, but I know several people who would very much appreciate being able to do something like this. Furthermore, this wouldn't affect using priority for it's normal PTW use, since PTW, Completed, Watching, etc. can be separated in the ordering process.

What I mean, is something like this:
Order 1: Status (Watching, Completed, Hold, Dropped, PTW)
Order 2: Priority

Would be super easy to implement. Just have it the same as entering number of rewatches. Current values of low/medium/high could just be changed to 0/1/2 by default when implemented to preserve what is already there for people who currently use the feature.
Sanic_de_HegehogMay 25, 2018 9:43 PM
May 25, 2018 5:47 AM

Jul 2015
Four options are enough.
No priority, low, medium, and high are good enough. I don't even use any of them because there's no point. They don't do anything.
May 25, 2018 5:55 AM

Aug 2016
PsychoticDave said:
Four options are enough.
No priority, low, medium, and high are good enough. I don't even use any of them because there's no point. They don't do anything.

First off, you can't have no priority. So it's only three options.
Secondly, the fact that there is no point to priority as it is, is the point. The functionality is very limited currently. By changing it to numbers you could use it to order your PTW in exactly the order you want to watch in, or you could just use it to customise the ordering of your list in general.
Sanic_de_HegehogMay 25, 2018 5:58 AM
May 25, 2018 6:02 AM

Jul 2015
Sanic_de_Hegehog said:
PsychoticDave said:
Four options are enough.

First off, you can't have no priority. So it's only three options.
Secondly, the fact that there is no point to priority as it is, is the point. The functionality is very limited currently. By changing it to numbers you could use it to order your PTW in exactly the order you want to watch in, or you could just use it to customise the ordering of your list in general.

You can definitely have no priority. It's called not selecting the option at all, which basically makes it lower than the low setting.
May 25, 2018 6:06 AM

Aug 2016
PsychoticDave said:
You can definitely have no priority. It's called not selecting the option at all, which basically makes it lower than the low setting.

I don't want to turn this into an argument about whether there are 3 or 4 options as opposed to discussing the proposal. That said, you are mistaken - it's low by default.
May 25, 2018 6:09 AM

Jul 2015
Sanic_de_Hegehog said:
PsychoticDave said:

I don't want to turn this into an argument about whether there are 3 or 4 options as opposed to discussing the proposal. That said, you are mistaken - it's low by default.

Oh, my bad. I'm retarded.

Anyway, what would having a numbered system do to change the uselessness of the feature? It would still be just as useless being changed from 1-3 to 1-10.
May 25, 2018 6:29 AM

Aug 2016
PsychoticDave said:

Oh, my bad. I'm retarded.

Anyway, what would having a numbered system do to change the uselessness of the feature? It would still be just as useless being changed from 1-3 to 1-10.

Well, I was thinking that you could select any number of your choosing without any restrictions. I like to plan what order I will watch things in the immediate future, so a priority feature is right up my alley - except the way it is now is very limited.

Exhibit A - My on hold list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sanic_de_Hegehog?status=3&order=-3

I like to use this area to keep the anime I want to watch in the near future. As you can see, I had to resort to using fake dates to order them nice and neatly. Of course, I am content with this system, but numbered priorities would make this sort of thing a lot easier for a lot more people.

Exhibit B - list ordering:
With numbered priorities I imagine most people would change priority to zero once certain anime are completed, however, for completed anime, priority could gain a new use. If somebody wants to order their list in a very specific way, they now can. I realise this is a bit niche, but I know several people who would very much appreciate being able to do something like this. Furthermore, this wouldn't affect using priority for it's normal PTW use, since PTW, Completed, Watching, etc. can be separated in the ordering process.

What I mean, is something like this:
Order 1: Status (Watching, Completed, Hold, Dropped, PTW)
Order 2: Priority
Sanic_de_HegehogMay 25, 2018 6:43 AM
May 25, 2018 7:42 AM

Oct 2017
Just how numbers do you require? Since you can divide those numbers among the current settings of priorities...
MOST users on MAL don't even bother using it, so it's just useless anyway.
May 25, 2018 6:57 PM

Aug 2016
KatsutoSaki said:
Just how numbers do you require? Since you can divide those numbers among the current settings of priorities...
MOST users on MAL don't even bother using it, so it's just useless anyway.

Just let people use whatever number they want for priority (type number in just like number of rewatches). A useless function that nobody uses becomes a useful function that some people use. I believe I have already outlined how the usefulness increases drastically in my pervious post. How many people would be genuinely annoyed if it got changed? For the very few people that currently use the feature, you could always change low-medium-high to 0-1-2 by default when it gets implemented. It's a win-win.
Sanic_de_HegehogMay 25, 2018 9:25 PM
May 25, 2018 7:57 PM

Nov 2015
I think having low, medium and high is enough to organize what you want to watch on your lists, If you really want to use numbers just use tags and then number them how you want.
May 25, 2018 8:02 PM

Aug 2016
PvaGlue said:
I think having low, medium and high is enough to organize what you want to watch on your lists, If you really want to use numbers just use tags and then number them how you want.

Well, that's exactly what I do (exhibit A). Doesn't stop it from being a pain though, like having to resort to fake dates to put them in any sort of logical order. At the end of the day, it really depends on how you want to use the feature. Some people like low-medium-high, and that's fine, but there's no denying the feature would become 10x more useful and versatile: you could use it for all sorts of things, just like people do for tags.
Sanic_de_HegehogMay 25, 2018 8:56 PM
May 25, 2018 8:33 PM

Nov 2015
My point is that there's already a method to sort out your lists and your idea is fine, i don't have a problem with it but this idea looks like it will only help a few people out. So there not going to improve upon the current method just to make a few people happy. So your just gonna have to use other features like tags and dates to sort out your list.
May 25, 2018 8:50 PM

Aug 2016
PvaGlue said:
My point is that there's already a method to sort out your lists and your idea is fine, i don't have a problem with it but this idea looks like it will only help a few people out. So there not going to improve upon the current method just to make a few people happy. So your just gonna have to use other features like tags and dates to sort out your list.

Then why does the suggestions board exist if not to improve on what's already there? I mean, I agree that it's a bit niche, but so are a lot of other things on MAL.
May 25, 2018 9:01 PM

Nov 2015
Sanic_de_Hegehog said:
PvaGlue said:

Then why does the suggestions board exist if not to improve on what's already there? I mean, I agree that it's a bit niche, but so are a lot of other things on MAL.

Yeah i agree that its meant to improve upon the existing MAL, but an idea is only going to be accepted an implemented if there's a lot if support for it, and even then it still might not get added. Your idea has been suggested before a few times and most people are fine with the current model of low, medium and high priority and also suggest using tags if you don't use the current method. This idea also hasn't got much support so why would MAL implement it? If every niche idea got accepted the site would likely turn south quickly. As i said i don't think your idea is bad but not many people want it and most people are fine with the current method.
May 25, 2018 9:19 PM

Aug 2016
PvaGlue said:
Yeah i agree that its meant to improve upon the existing MAL, but an idea is only going to be accepted an implemented if there's a lot if support for it, and even then it still might not get added. Your idea has been suggested before a few times and most people are fine with the current model of low, medium and high priority and also suggest using tags if you don't use the current method. This idea also hasn't got much support so why would MAL implement it? If every niche idea got accepted the site would likely turn south quickly. As i said i don't think your idea is bad but not many people want it and most people are fine with the current method.

If it's been suggested a few times before, wouldn't that indicate support for the idea?
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=63395&show=20
I agree with the sentiment that too many niche features is a bad thing overall, but watching priority is already there - it's not something new. As I said earlier, it really depends what you are using priority for. I don't see many people using it personally, and I believe the reason for that is because it's a very weak feature that could be a lot more useful. You mentioned using tags. This is interesting to me, since tags aren't specifically meant for that sort of thing. Even though tags have one normal use, people use it for all sorts of things (sub/dub, thoughts, watching priority, genre, score to one decimal place, etc), and it is now generally considered a very, very useful feature. It would be the same with numbered priorities. Yes, the 'normal' use is to use it to prioritise what you want to watch, but there is a lot of potential for it to be used for many other things in exactly the same way as tags (this is what I mean by niche).

At the end of the day, I'm just proposing something - it's not in my control if others support it or not, just as it's not in my control of it gets implemented in the end. That said, how can MAL know if something has support or not without any data?

Sanic_de_HegehogMay 26, 2018 7:47 PM
May 25, 2018 10:06 PM

Nov 2015
Sanic_de_Hegehog said:
PvaGlue said:

If it's been suggested a few times before, wouldn't that indicate support for the idea? I agree with the sentiment that too many niche features is a bad thing overall, but watching priority is already there - it's not something new. As I said earlier, it really depends what you are using priority for. I don't see many people using it personally, and I believe the reason for that is because it's a very weak feature that could be a lot more useful. You mentioned using tags. This is interesting to me, since tags aren't specifically meant for that sort of thing. Even though tags have one normal use, people use it for all sorts of things (sub/dub, thoughts, watching priority, genre, score to one decimal place, etc), and it is now generally considered a very, very useful feature. It would be the same with numbered priorities. Yes, the 'normal' use is to use it to prioritise what you want to watch, but there is a lot of potential for it to be used for many other things in exactly the same way as tags (this is what I mean by niche).

At the end of the day, I'm just proposing something - it's not in my control if others support it or not, just as it's not in my control of it gets implemented in the end. That said, how can MAL know if something has support or not without any data?

Its been suggested a few times but there wasn't many replies from them and most of the replies were people who felt the current method was fine. So it was only a couple of people who actually supported or wanted the idea so in that sense there wasn't much support. As it being a weak feature and more people would use it if its better, my earlier posts should say my opinion about that.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.