Forum Settings
Forums

Greatest Story Arc/Saga from "Battle Manga" ? [20 Choices to Vote]

New
May 23, 2018 7:05 AM
May 2018
Sorry if I missed some of your favourite arcs, I tried my best tho... What do you guys think ?
May 23, 2018 7:27 AM

Oct 2015
That would easily be Steel Ball Run (to which I consider the pinnacle of battle manga in general), but do I really consider Berserk Golden Age as a battle manga? If it is, it is my second choice, but never really felt like it. Next would be Chimera Ant, Diamond is Unbreakable, Yorknew, Enies Lobby, and can't really remember the others, nor do I want to bother. The difference is big anyway.

The adventure felt like lessons gushing through each arc, an unconventional coming-of-age story , the dynamic of Johnny and Gyro's relationship, the harsh and impactful backstories, the characterizations, the cathartic ending sequences, and the gray morality of each characters, it all makes Valentine even more the hero of the story. The characters felt down-to-earth, yet manages to deliver that Jojo's signature weirdness, the comedy was heartfelt, specially Sugar Mountain arc, a comedy arc which made me drop a tear. Johnny's wrath felt so real, it wasn't forced, it wasn't squeezed out of him, it felt too natural to be that, it really felt he was angry, and to booth, no one felt sympathy for Johnny despite being a cripple, it all makes the journey felt shrill and didn't felt monotonous like every other self-deprecating/miserable depressed characters. Gyro became a sympathetic asshole, despite being a selfish prick, can't help himself help others and develops throughout the adventure. And subtle hints, notifications, like Wekapipo's change in design, or the second to the last act, the part where Ladyluck was gone. The solid structure, it just felt like Araki suddenly knew how to write a cohesive story, a battle manga that uses the right story structure, rather than a continuous and never ending battle manga, it has one of the most satisfying ending, truly a crazy and bizarre adventure.
-Lofn-May 23, 2018 8:41 AM

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 23, 2018 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
Coalition invasion, easy. All best characters gathered, character development, great fights building up the most hyped moments you will ever see, and catharsis-everything you can ask for.
May 23, 2018 7:38 AM

Jul 2017
I would have preferred the MHA tournament arc but the Chunin exam works I guess.
Aug 8, 2018 10:12 AM

Feb 2018
Enies Lobby and Golden Age.
Aug 8, 2018 12:05 PM

May 2015
Golden Age is the best of the bunch here if that's battle manga.

Otherwise, my favorite JoJo parts are Steel Ball Run, DiU (that small town, the psuedo slice-of-life feel) and Battle Tendency (for it's protagonist especially). I'll take Alabasta as the quintessential One Piece arc. Freiza and original Piccolo for Dragon Ball, easily.
γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­ γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­ γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­ γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­γ‚΄γƒ­ γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄ γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄ γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄γ‚΄
Aug 12, 2018 12:13 AM
Dec 2017
Coalition Invasion, definitely. This arc did so many things right and it was one of the few times that I just couldn't stop reading for more, which led me to binge it in almost 24 hours.
Aug 15, 2018 4:59 PM

Jul 2013
Ennies Lobby got me real deep into One Piece
Shogun got me deep into Gintama
Aug 16, 2018 4:12 PM

Jul 2017
how the hell am I suposed to chose between berserk and hunterxhunter? would be nice if you could chose 2 or 3 differens answers.
Sep 29, 2022 7:38 AM
Nov 2021
Wow this is all pretty close

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
4 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
6 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
7 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
7 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.