Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 2018 11:41 PM
Jul 2017
I always hate anime reviewers giving good anime low ratings just because the anime has a couple of panty shots on it, then they act arrogant like "This anime is ecchi it means it's completely shitty". I mean, look at Keijo and HOTD. Both good anime, but badly reviewed because they have ecchi on them.

These kinds of anime reviewers must stop putting their preferences as part of the review and rate an anime on how well it does on acting in it's genre. I mean, look in the eyes of an ecchi fan and think "Is this good ecchi anime?" Look in the eyes of a harem fan and also think "Is this good harem anime?" And after thinking those THEN you give a score. I made this post because I get so pissed at people who neglect some anime just because it has a genre he/she hates then give good anime a bad score just because of insecurities.

Give me your opinions.
May 22, 2018 11:52 PM

Aug 2015
OMG! Someone don't like anime you like! How dare they?!
May 22, 2018 11:53 PM

Apr 2015
"These kinds of anime reviewers must stop putting their preferences as part of the review"

....OH GOD

Do you realize that literally everything someone likes or dislikes about a show is in some way tied to a preference? Or that preferences are what make reviewers unique from one another?

Regardless, I don't really like the idea that only certain people who like certain genres get to review said genres. The reality is, there's a lot of legitimate reasons why anime critics don't like ecchi, and it's their right to be able to talk about it in a review format. If you want the opinion of someone who you are more likely to see eye to eye with, you're more than welcome to look at the many, many, many reviews posted on the site. But really, people who are opposed to certain types of shows, can sometimes be the best people to point out flaws in those genres.
observing a woman's body
May 22, 2018 11:59 PM

Sep 2014
Well, yeah. It does happen a lot, too much. One of the reasons many anime reviewers just suck.
While criticizing anime for fanservice in places and shows it's neither needed nor wanted is justified (though I personally don't really mind most of the time) when I see people trashing Highschool DxD or another ecchi anime for well, being ecchi anime, than I wonder how fucking stupid can one be? If you don't like it, sure, nothing wrong with that but don't go with such a stupid bias into writing a review, because you can't criticize anime for being exactly what it's supposed and aims to be. Such a review is fucking useless other than for the people circlejerking against a genre they dislike.

Obviously, this happens the most with ecchi and nudity, as there's some unwarranted animosity towards these, but I've seen people critcizing battle shonen for power ups or stuff like that, which is one of the reasons the fans like the genre to begin with, lol. Cool powerups are cool.

UrbanSpaceman said:
xD
nice, retarded post
did you even read what he said, or didn't bother before writing this?
May 22, 2018 11:59 PM

Feb 2018
There is no objectively good anime if someone gave a show a low score it means he just didn't like it.
They cant ignore their preferences when reviewsing because that's impossible. And yes some people simply dislike ecchi but that's a ligitimate opinion becuse everyone has different tastes.
May 23, 2018 12:04 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah, it does seem weird to bitch about an ecchi series for being too ecchi.
You should've known what you were getting into the moment you saw that tag...
May 23, 2018 12:08 AM

Sep 2014
AngryAlchemist said:
"These kinds of anime reviewers must stop putting their preferences as part of the review"

....OH GOD

Do you realize that literally everything someone likes or dislikes about a show is in some way tied to a preference? Or that preferences are what make reviewers unique from one another?

Regardless, I don't really like the idea that only certain people who like certain genres get to review said genres. The reality is, there's a lot of legitimate reasons why anime critics don't like ecchi, and it's their right to be able to talk about it in a review format. If you want the opinion of someone who you are more likely to see eye to eye with, you're more than welcome to look at the many, many, many reviews posted on the site. But really, people who are opposed to certain types of shows, can sometimes be the best people to point out flaws in those genres.

obviously he worded it in quite a silly way, but his point is quite clear

if a 'preference' is disliking what defines a genre and is expected and needed there, it shouldn't be a part of a review.
you can't criticize anime for being what it's supposed to be just because you're inherently against it

no one is saying you shouldn't review a genre you dislike, but bring legitimate critcism and judge things that determine its quality, not things that are part of the reason a particular anime exists

that's like me disliking ninjas and then proceeding to trash naruto for having them
May 23, 2018 12:09 AM

Apr 2017
If you don't want to see people saying bad stuff about your favorite anime, don't read reviews, or any kind of anime related discussions, especially if they trigger you so much.
cunnysseur
May 23, 2018 12:10 AM

Apr 2015
Imaishi said:
AngryAlchemist said:

....OH GOD

obviously he worded it in quite a silly way, but his point is quite clear

if a 'preference' is disliking what defines a genre and is expected and needed there, it shouldn't be a part of a review.
you can't criticize anime for being what it's supposed to be just because you're inherently against it

no one is saying you shouldn't review a genre you dislike, but bring legitimate critcism and judge things that determine its quality, not things that are part of the reason a particular anime exists

that's like me disliking ninjas and then proceeding to trash naruto for having them

"if a 'preference' is disliking what defines a genre and is expected and needed there, it shouldn't be a part of a review. "

But who does that? I don't see it. Unless the person is literally a troll, I don't see this happen. Ever. Most criticisms of ecchi are just on how trashy or badly thought out it is. But there are ecchi series that are critically acclaimed.
observing a woman's body
May 23, 2018 12:10 AM

Dec 2017
"These kinds of anime reviewers must stop putting their preferences as part of the review."
A review should contain personal views and preferences. I'll disagree with that. That's what makes each one unique. But, I do agree that a it's a poorly written review if it presents one aspect, criticizes it, and doesn't bother to touch on everything else. Sure, it has ecchi. But are the characters good? Was the story enjoyable? etc.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

May 23, 2018 12:21 AM

Jul 2014
Umm, like 99% of reviews are literally just biased opinions. If you don't like what a person is saying, then just move on. Just like you have your preferences, so do they. If you want your opinion to be more "heard" or "agreed upon" or whatever, then just write reviews yourself and ignore the others. Simple as that. No need to get offended if someone thinks a show is bad because of certain elements. Just think about alllll of the people on here that absolutely refuse to watch a show just because it's tagged as a 'mecha.' Very similar thing.
May 23, 2018 12:34 AM

Jul 2016
If you don't like what they do, just ignore their reviews. I agree criticizing fanservice for the mere act of existing and not because of abhorrent implementation is absolutely retarded, but it's most likely not going away any time soon. Better to change your own ways than try to change hundreds of other's when it's something as unimportant as this, honestly.
May 23, 2018 12:37 AM

Jun 2017
"stop hating ecchi please"
No, they can do whatever they want but in some way I admit you I don't know why these people watch these shits that they know rate it low sounds like masochist or tsundere lol or maybe guilty pleasure but again they can do whatever they want
mhkrMay 23, 2018 1:19 AM
May 23, 2018 12:43 AM
Dec 2016
CitizenCitizen said:
These kinds of anime reviewers must stop putting their preferences as part of the review and rate an anime on how well it does on acting in it's genre. I mean, look in the eyes of an ecchi fan and think "Is this good ecchi anime?" Look in the eyes of a harem fan and also think "Is this good harem anime?" And after thinking those THEN you give a score. I made this post because I get so pissed at people who neglect some anime just because it has a genre he/she hates then give good anime a bad score just because of insecurities.

So you mean that someone (an anime reviewer), hates an anime because of a genre they particularly hate?

They hate it, yeah so what? Good aren't meant to be liked, and bad aren't meant to be disliked. That is their own personal taste of anime.

Idk if there are some people like me, but I see some shitty anime good. I just need to look at what good stuff an anime can give, rather than the bad thing it generally shows.

Don't take me seriously, I rated Kuzu no Honkai 10/10 pls help me and my weird preference
Idk why I spend so much time in writing such irrelevant replies ._.
May 23, 2018 12:48 AM

Jul 2016
If someone doesn't like watching a certain genre then that's more than enough reason to not watch a show in that genre. Also, there's no such things as objectively good. What you like and dislike is based entirely on your personal preference, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
May 23, 2018 12:53 AM
Jul 2017
sorry i didnt make my point clear haha. I don't have enough vocabulary (or i forgot to use some words)
May 23, 2018 12:55 AM

Jan 2017
I doubt that most of the more "popular anime reviewers" rate shows low because of a couple panty shots.
May 23, 2018 12:59 AM

Jul 2017
Keijo and HOTD are considered good anime?. If he has a valid reason for his reviews then, it's acceptable. It's your decision if you want to ignore or just accept his opinions about a certain anime.
May 23, 2018 1:01 AM

Apr 2016
Those so called "anime reviewers" you speak of are weabs, westerners who watch anime (most of the time illegally) hence their opinions have no weight whatsoever.
May 23, 2018 1:03 AM
Jul 2017
Reading all of these made me want to change my opinion about anime reviews. I now agree preferences are a must in part of a review. Thanks for changing my mind. (though biased reviews are still shit)
May 23, 2018 1:08 AM

May 2009
Why shouldn't I say I didn't like the fanservice when I didn't like the fanservice? Why can't I be honest about my opinion, as a reviewer?

Tasel said:
If you don't want to see people saying bad stuff about your favorite anime, don't read reviews, or any kind of anime related discussions, especially if they trigger you so much.
I basically don't read reviews before I watch stuff, these days.

I'd rather go into shows knowing as little as possible about them.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 23, 2018 1:08 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Taking away rewiever's preferences and bias would make it a synopsis. And it ruins the point of review, doesn't it?

May 23, 2018 1:10 AM

Jun 2011
Here is my non-biased review of Keijo.

Keijo has 12 episodes that are about 22-23minutes long. It features women over 18 battling with thier boobs and butts on a platform over a swimming pool. It aired in 2016. There is lesbian and gay male content in this anime. There is a dub. There is an ending.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 23, 2018 1:15 AM

Aug 2017
Reviewers have their own opinions and If you don't like it just move on and don't pay them any heed it's pretty simple. You can't control someone's preference and I literally take reviews as someone's opinion and it's not necessary that if they didn't like it I will not like it either and Anime Discussion board seems more like a rant board to me nowadays.
May 23, 2018 1:58 AM
Aug 2016
>reading reviews of ecchi show
LMAO, ^this is the problem.
May 23, 2018 3:04 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ecchi reviews are the worst reviews on the site bar none. Do not bother.

May 23, 2018 3:09 AM

Feb 2013
CitizenCitizen said:
I mean, look in the eyes of an ecchi fan and think "Is this good ecchi anime?" Look in the eyes of a harem fan and also think "Is this good harem anime?"
and the answer is no, father
a lot of them are low budget incomplete adaptations which deserve the low score
May 23, 2018 3:14 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
mhkr said:
"stop hating ecchi please"
No, they can do whatever they want but in some way I admit you I don't know why these people watch these shits that they know rate it low sounds like masochist or tsundere lol or maybe guilty pleasure but again they can do whatever they want

Nah, the complaints aren't "why you gotta complain about ecchi," it's "why are you reviewing this series whenever you're just criticizing it for daring to be what it is." Which is really common with harem and ecchi reviews - they just dismiss it based on being as much and don't give two iotas of a fuck about anything else whatsoever.

Hence why the frustration is kind of fair game, because writing a review is kind of a different process meant to be at least somewhat informative or thought-provoking and maybe even acting as a type of consumer-guidance. Not the same as somebody making a really long post on AD, and whenever that's the case it pretty much just because a vapid, shallow, and frankly, bad review. Criticism of a currently widespread attitude in review circles on this site that definitely does impact the quality of the review they write is fair game.

Like, it isn't just preferences and stuff here, "why you dislike what I like," it's kind of something different entirely. Complaining about a bad review poorly communicating its ideas (or basically just not even bothering at all, as is the case here) is fair game.

May 23, 2018 11:17 AM

Oct 2012
I have hotd a 3 cause I thought it was pretty pointless and not very good, would not change the score if there was no fan service. I'm so sry not everyone agrees with your anime opinions sir
May 23, 2018 11:21 AM

May 2009
Energetic-Nova said:
There is an ending.
Sheda x Mars OTP

Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 23, 2018 11:23 AM

Jun 2015
We get it. Half of AD loves panty shots.

May 23, 2018 11:26 AM

Jun 2017
I mean, I know we are running out of originality but c'mon !

Aug 14, 2018 10:16 PM

Aug 2017
Stop hating my favourite anime!

Just don't read the reviews and the case is over. That is some random opinion of a reviewer, there are many votes for that review because many didn't like the show, we have different preferences, we are not your clones!

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 14, 2018 11:56 PM

Aug 2018
i AGREE WITH EVERYTHING U SAY I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON TO THINK LIKE THAT
Aug 15, 2018 5:45 AM

Jan 2018
Agree. I still cannot believe how a random trade agreement by someone who dislike my country happens in civilization. Makes me want to nuke em all.
Aug 15, 2018 5:54 AM

Aug 2016
I gave Keijo a low (actually average) rating because the joke got really old really fast, not because it has ecchi in it. HOTD, on the other hand, I barely sat through episode 1, the concept was incredibly generic and the show was actually trying to take itself seriously in spite of the constant random ecchi, which didn't work.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 15, 2018 6:44 AM

Dec 2016
CitizenCitizen said:
I always hate anime reviewers giving good anime low ratings just because the anime has a couple of panty shots on it, then they act arrogant like "This anime is ecchi it means it's completely shitty". I mean, look at Keijo and HOTD. Both good anime, but badly reviewed because they have ecchi on them.

Give me your opinions.

People review thing based on how they feel about and view the anime from their perspective. A review would be dishonest if they hated pantyshots but gave it a high score just because other people enjoyed it.
Aug 15, 2018 6:48 AM

Jan 2016
Well, at least MAL's review(er)s are better than (all) Anime-youtubers review(er)s.
Aug 15, 2018 1:23 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Stop reading negative reviews of anime you like, it does so many wonders.
Aug 15, 2018 1:36 PM

Aug 2017
Hating ecchi and fanservice is perfectly valid reason to hate an anime and give it a low score.

Both of those shows are abject trash, by the way. I'd give them a 1/10 each. The fact that they exist is part why I'm ashamed to be human.
Aug 15, 2018 1:40 PM

Apr 2018
There's no such thing as a non-biased anime reviewer, sorry.

Aug 15, 2018 8:31 PM

Aug 2017
If someone hated an anime for its excessive fan service, then of course they'd say it, and they'd explain why too. You, as the reader, don't care about the excessive fan service, so why not move on and decide if you like the anime based on the other parts of a review? I'm sure a decent reviewer would talk about the other aspects of an anime.

Personally, the plot can be decent but too much of it would ruin the story for me, like Cage of Eden. The story was really interesting, but without the excessive fan service, I wouldve enjoyed it more. To me, it was pointless filler. The story was still pretty good, and if I wrote a review, I would've mentioned that.
-insert wise old moosy adage-
Aug 15, 2018 11:18 PM

Nov 2009
UrbanSpaceman said:

Now, I am a reasonable man, and I agree that people have the right to not like the anime I like. There are all kinds of people out there.
I still think that people should not write reviews for anime whose genre they don't like. They are utterly incapable of giving a serious evaluation to that anime, and nobody who should watch that anime can benefit from their opinion.
It's not like they are legally required to write a review of all anime they watch.

Imaishi said:

Actually, I am saying just that. A person who dislikes a genre cannot judge what determines its quality. Both because he isn't watching enough of said genre, and because he is blind to the things that make said genre liked.

AngryAlchemist said:
"if a 'preference' is disliking what defines a genre and is expected and needed there, it shouldn't be a part of a review. "

But who does that? I don't see it. Unless the person is literally a troll, I don't see this happen. Ever. Most criticisms of ecchi are just on how trashy or badly thought out it is. But there are ecchi series that are critically acclaimed.

Any review by a person who dislikes the genre is by definition a troll review.

Rowan_F said:
If someone doesn't like watching a certain genre then that's more than enough reason to not watch a show in that genre. Also, there's no such things as objectively good. What you like and dislike is based entirely on your personal preference, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Indeed. Reviewers are included here. They have the right to not watch ecchi shows and not write reviews about them. I'm leaving their yaoi alone too.

V3rbatim said:
Hating ecchi and fanservice is perfectly valid reason to hate an anime and give it a low score.

Both of those shows are abject trash, by the way. I'd give them a 1/10 each. The fact that they exist is part why I'm ashamed to be human.

Judeo-Christian morality has too much influence on you. You gotta learn to accept we humans have flesh, blood, hormones and emotions.
Aug 15, 2018 11:30 PM

Aug 2017
flannan said:

Judeo-Christian morality has too much influence on you. You gotta learn to accept we humans have flesh, blood, hormones and emotions.
Nothing about Christianity or Judaism has anything to do with what I believe or whatever conceptions I have of morality. I accept that humans are "flesh, blood, hormones, and emotions" insofar as they remain obstacles to overcome, transcend, or (if we have to) destroy—I'm not interested in brushing those things under the rug and pretending they don't exist, like a religious person would.

The fact is, just because humans are carnal beings doesn't mean we can't evolve.

Therefore, art that refuses to enlighten us, and instead perpetuates and encourages us to stagnate and wallow in our own shit, is the exact type of art that should be tossed into a dumpster and set on fire, figuratively speaking. Enjoying such things is fine on an individual basis—no one should care what you're personally interested in—but to act all uppity and upset just because there are people out there who actively are on the search for a greater meaning or purpose in their art (and hence, their own lives) is completely asinine.
V3rbatimAug 16, 2018 12:13 AM
Aug 15, 2018 11:51 PM

Jul 2014
With the clear variance of taste and preferences of the people rating and giving reviews here, contrasts are bound to happen.
Aug 16, 2018 12:02 AM

May 2013
V3rbatim said:

The fact is, just because humans are carnal beings doesn't mean we can't evolve.

Therefore, art that refuses to enlighten us, and instead perpetuates and encourages us to stagnate and wallow in our own shit, is the exact type of art that should be tossed into a dumpster and set on fire, figuratively speaking. Enjoying such things is fine on an individual basis—no one should care what you're personally interested in—but to act all uppity and upset just because there are people out there who actively are on the search for a greater meaning or purpose in their art (and hence, their own lives) is completely asinine.

I don't particularly disagree with whatever you said, but maybe it is better not to put art on such a high pedestal. Engaging with reality should be doing the work of finding meaning or purpose in life. Art is a usable support pillar at best when it comes to that.

One needs to have the mental acumen to distinguish between fact and fiction, in order to understand that art in itself cannot perpetuate or encourage humans to wallow in their own shit. It is the viewer himself/herself who chooses to do that.

In fact, this applies to the OP a lot more than you actually. You found them to be good shows, however because you give this form of art so much importance, you took the time to rant online about why others don't agree with you over "liking ecchi". If you found it to be good, accept it and move on. No point in dissing others reviews simply out of a mere conflict in personal tastes. You need to provide your argument as to why you liked these shows despite them having the "trash" others make it out to be.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 16, 2018 12:26 AM

Jul 2014
Anime reviews are in general useless.
Aug 16, 2018 1:00 AM

Aug 2017
Aria-da-Capo said:
Not true, and you probably wouldn't be saying this if every single review you've ever read reaffirmed your own tastes.

Reviews are simply a way to organize and relay one's thoughts on something post-consumption. Whether that review is useful to you depends a lot on the author and whether you find yourself agreeing with them often.

If, for example, you're reading a review by someone who has similar tastes to you, it probably wouldn't be unwise to read it and perhaps take them on their word. After all, you tend to like the same shit.

But if they truly are useless, then the feature should be removed from the site so that people don't waste their time. Right?
Aug 16, 2018 1:58 AM

Jul 2014
V3rbatim said:
Aria-da-Capo said:
Not true, and you probably wouldn't be saying this if every single review you've ever read reaffirmed your own tastes.

Reviews are simply a way to organize and relay one's thoughts on something post-consumption. Whether that review is useful to you depends a lot on the author and whether you find yourself agreeing with them often.

If, for example, you're reading a review by someone who has similar tastes to you, it probably wouldn't be unwise to read it and perhaps take them on their word. After all, you tend to like the same shit.

But if they truly are useless, then the feature should be removed from the site so that people don't waste their time. Right?

I think that's true for recommendations. I mean, I always check the lists of my friends to decide which series to watch next, but reviews adds nothing new about the enjoyability of a show, anything can sound cool or lame but actually be the other way around, it's too subjective. It's fun to write a review though, and you can better understand why you liked a show in the process.
Aug 16, 2018 3:05 AM

May 2014
I think it's a fair criticism. If an anime is in the ecchi genre then it's chances of being bad go wayy up. Although criticising the ecchi elements is dumb, because that's the whole point of anime like that.

I'm not really the demographic anyway, so of course it doesn't appeal to me. It'd be strange of me to watch an ecchi anime when i know i'm going to hate it, just so i can give it a negative review and complain about things that are bound to happen in an ecchi anime. Which i feel quite a few people do~

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 minutes ago

3 by Rinrinka »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

70 by omorashi »»
17 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
21 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.