Forum Settings
Forums

Why watch new anime when the CHANCES of enjoying critically acclaimed already-finished anime are much higher?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
May 24, 2018 12:06 PM

Feb 2018
I don't really care much about the score when finding new anime. I just pick one that looks interesting and see if I like it. It's more fun when you don't know what's gonna happen next, right?
May 24, 2018 12:11 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Well I prefer to watch all. And Wotakoi which I just saw an episode from was perfect and is seasonal.

May 24, 2018 1:41 PM

Oct 2017
Well you can just do both I mean I never understand those who watch every single show to come out . I usually just pick 4 or 5 shows a season (this season I am watching a lot more). At that point your only spending around 1 hr and 40 min on seasonals a week and have some time for older shows. Most people from what I can tell who follow seasonal shows do this.

I started just watching seasonally last year and I like doing it because I like to keep up with whats new and the overall industry now. I also usually feel I can discern if a show will be at least worth watching (from premise, PV's and etc) and I haven't been really burnt that often so far.

BilboBaggins365May 24, 2018 1:47 PM
May 24, 2018 2:25 PM

Oct 2014
I usually go by friends suggestions, just because I procrastinate watching shit like crazy. And it helps to be pointed directly towards what's known to be good.

Though, sometimes the new anime strikes your fancy and you just can't wait to get in. As long as you have fun I don't really see the issue with either approach.
May 24, 2018 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
Dysisa said:

You're definitely not wrong that MAL generally sets a very low bar for the level of discussion, even if there's definitely some fun to be had in flinging shit like monkeys too. I don't think anyone is saying this discussion needs to be happening specifically here though. There are plenty of places outside of MAL you could find to discuss anime, ones that are generally much better suited for relatively meaningful discourse, at that.

Another flaw with how I thought:

I assumed that most people on mal, like me, didn't discuss anime much outside of this website.
May 24, 2018 3:19 PM

May 2009
NihilisticLoner said:
Dysisa said:

You're definitely not wrong that MAL generally sets a very low bar for the level of discussion, even if there's definitely some fun to be had in flinging shit like monkeys too. I don't think anyone is saying this discussion needs to be happening specifically here though. There are plenty of places outside of MAL you could find to discuss anime, ones that are generally much better suited for relatively meaningful discourse, at that.

I assumed that most people on mal, like me, didn't discuss anime much outside of this website.
Yeah, MAL is actually one of the last places I go to discuss anime. Usually I hang out with a handful of friends on IRC and discuss anime with them first. This forum, on the other hand, is something I turn to when I don't know what to do with my time but want to procrastinate.

Honest comment.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 24, 2018 3:47 PM

Apr 2018
How about watching new critically acclaimed anime?
May 24, 2018 3:50 PM
Jun 2017
Bfolls said:
Because it gives me an opportunity to find stuff that I might enjoy but isnt critically acclaimed and therefore slips under my radar
I think the better question is why do people drop critically acclaimed anime after only one episode?

this is actually a really good one that I'm not even thought about before, nice
May 24, 2018 6:46 PM

Sep 2017
Jokes on you, I do both. I just watch one episode per week of the seasonal anime I like, and then watch an older completed anime along with it.
And even if people only watch seasonal stuff, just let them? They aren't harming anybody, sure they are missing out on some good anime out there but if they want to watch seasonal anime more then that's fine.
May 24, 2018 8:36 PM

Dec 2017
Ahh yes. I could say that some critically acclaimed anime are worth the watch(Hajime no Ippo), but some aren't even worth a second at all like Ashita no Shit. So it depends on the person.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
May 24, 2018 8:40 PM

Feb 2015
greymood said:
NihilisticLoner said:
(7.20 on mal = terrible).

That's bullshit and you know it....
not always the case but true more often than not .
May 24, 2018 11:53 PM

Dec 2015
Let people enjoy the shit they want to enjoy, if they don't want to look at so-called 'high-scoring' series then that's their business.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
May 25, 2018 12:42 AM

Feb 2013
I want to be there at ground zero in case something turns out to be amazing
May 25, 2018 1:20 AM

May 2009
Alot of great animés are in their 7's. Idfk what you're getting on.
May 25, 2018 1:22 AM
May 25, 2018 1:27 AM

Jan 2015
I love watching shitty anime and then occasionally watching something good. Probably because good anime make me think about them, but I often don't wanna think while watching anime cause I am so brain dead from my job and I just need some time to relax and watch something colorful and easy to process. I still don't think the shit I watch is good, and that's why I rate it low, but I do enjoy it while watching it because it does the job I need it to do.

May 25, 2018 4:15 AM

Jun 2016
While I do believe that a lot a large part of the MAL community are hypocrites with chuunibyo, this thread pretty much paints a target on your head.

I don't understand why anyone would make such a critical thread based on their subjective opinion. Are you trying to ask a question because you're curious, or are you trying to tell us not to watch seasonal anime. It seems to me your preaching that people shouldn't watch seasonal anime, instead of asking for any genuine opinions.

"Convert to the church of rewatching, because the seasonal christ has failed to give me anything I enjoy"

What makes an anime "critically acclaimed"? People will shit on Sword Art Online and its author, Reki Kawahara's, "poor writing" when he is probably the most successful light novel author in all of Japans history, does that mean SAO is "critically acclaimed"?

Fate Zero, the story of the greatest mage battle in a busy city, yet no person or government entity takes notice of the giant mage warfare happening in their country until a giant squid appears out of the ocean. A giant monster appears and the government sends 2 jets... And Takagi definitely didn't turn out to be what I expected and fell short of my high expectations of a linear romance story, but it was still an enjoyable anime even if it was mostly divided into short stories per episode.

I absolutely love how you mentioned recent anime like Steins;Gate. I hope to god you mean Steins;Gate Zero, because Steins;Gate is almost a decade old.

Let me ask you this, why would you prefer to watch anime when the art looks like someone having a blast with a pen stuck up their ass, in 480p when you can watch HD bouncing oversized boobs that most Japanese women will never have? Do you actually give a shit about the communities opinion or are you just trying to tell us that you think seasonal anime is shit?
May 25, 2018 6:04 AM

Jul 2013
Not exactly in terms of anime, but I had the same approach to reading for so so long. Why read new trash when classic lit exists? I suppose it comes down to the gems of the genre being few and far between. Gotta compromise
May 25, 2018 6:23 AM

Mar 2016
Because it might be something you haven't seen before and experiencing new things is fun?

Seriously, telling people that they have shit taste in anime is one thing but generalizing a whole time period of cartoons so they can feel somewhat more important than others is as low as you can get and it's fucking stupid that I see this every day on the popular mal forum list.

"u suck" is what I'm saying basically.
May 25, 2018 7:27 AM

Feb 2010
Hmmm, I don't think watching a critically acclaimed anime with a high score really means you have more chance of enjoying it. I started watching Steins;Gate and Cowboy Bebop years back but still haven't finished either because I never really got attached to them and just don't really care at this point.

I just look at the plot of things and if they sound vaguely interesting I will give them a shot. If I'm in the mood to watch something anyway. Only really watch things as I come across them but I think people like to talk about the series as they air. And if there is a chance there'll be a new favourite amongst the season then it just makes it all the better for them. No harm in watching any series, new or older.
May 25, 2018 7:30 AM
Jun 2017
That's precisely why I rarely watch new animes and prefer the classics.
May 25, 2018 7:36 AM

Jun 2015
It's a good sentiment but a terrible argument for it.

May 25, 2018 7:49 AM

Apr 2018
People watch what they want when they want. So if they want to watch a seasonal then so be it. Plus you might find something WORTH watching in the new season. You never know if you donn't give it a try.
Wake me up for another crusade
May 25, 2018 7:51 AM

Jun 2017
Who honestly cares? I say watch whatever you want, and give zero fucks about what everyone else thinks.
May 25, 2018 8:03 AM

Apr 2017
i see, old fags back at it again

the question is, why do people like you love to bug in others business, u must be a neet

theres no way mal can be a better place

still life: pink roses
May 25, 2018 8:07 AM

May 2017
Here's an idea OP: why don't you watch what you want to watch, and let others do the same?
May 25, 2018 8:30 AM

Apr 2017
It's because critically acclaimed doesn't really mean anything to the average viewer. The most critically acclaimed film in the history of the medium is Citizen Kane. Does this mean you have to enjoy it, or that you are more likely to enjoy it than the new Marvel movie? No, not at all. Considering there's even less validity to "critical acclaim" in anime, why would that even be a factor? To really get an idea of the medium, you need knowledge of the past and present, so only focusing on the past is missing half the picture.
May 25, 2018 8:39 AM

Jul 2012
I'm just going to go ahead and point out the irony that initially a huge focus of this thread was about wasting time, and now in order to defend and explain your "point" you're now asking me to waste 27 minutes watching an anime Youtuber who's opinions I literally cannot care about in the slightest.

And you complained about being unable to define your own opinion so now you're basing the entire thread off of an unrelated third party which tells me you never had any intention of listening or trying to understand people's motivations because you clearly value Digibro's opinions more highly (even though somebody pointed out you apparently misinterpreted parts of the videos).

Effectively you turned the thread into a blatant shilling attempt to get people to watch his videos.
May 25, 2018 9:10 AM

May 2016
I understand your opinion but I simply can't agree totally. I don't like watching new anime because it seems like a waste to me. If I start new series very frequently, it means I don't care about what I watched before: in other words, I wasted my whole time while watching all series since now it doesn't serve me any purpose. That's why I start watching series two or three months after the previous one; it doesn't matter if its new or old.

So basically I don't watch seasonals, not because I think I won't like them, but because I start new series hardly often.

And now, responding to the thread. What I don't agree, not even a bit, is what you say about "critically acclaimed anime". Why would I have to care about this? Opinion of people/critics help but something can be critically acclaimed, like The Oscars, but be utter shit anyway.

But what I can agree is that picking series at random each season or forcing yourself to pick series each season is stupid. You don't have any obligation to watch an anime each season. You have to watch a series if it interests you, it doesn't matter if it's seasonal or not. It's hard for me to get invested in a show so when they are currently airing for me it's just impossible to watch because, well, I don't know what I can expect. So I don't force myself to watch seasonals because I don't know if I will waste my time: I tend to wait until they are finished.
May 25, 2018 11:24 AM

Jun 2016
DeadOpossum said:
NihilisticLoner said:

I will NEVER make a thread again where I respond to any of you guys' posts. Because when I do, I'm called stubborn, condescending, and someone who is not willing to agree with people because I don't spell it out.

Relax man, this is just natural to any human community to disagree more than to agree. When you’re trying to convince a group of people keep in mind that you’re going to actually handle disagreement of a percentage of that group.

For example, you have a group of 1000 people. 50% of them will agree, nod their heads and go away. 40% will disagree, but will go away anyway because the discussion will not be interesting to them. At the end you will left with 10% of those 1000 people who will disagree and they will do it LOUD. Because, you know, people feel it is wrong when someone have a different opinion and they’re trying to “fix” it even if they are actually wrong theirself.

So making a post like this there is no surprise that you will deal mostly with people who disagree.

I personally totally agree with your point, You’re just playing Captain Obvious for me, that’s why I will not say a word supporting your opinion. If we had a post rating system I would just press “+1” and that’s all.

Please, do not be upset by the “negative community reaction”. Vocal part is always the minority. But please, care about people who’re actually trying to have a discussion here once you have it started, it can be interesting sometimes. :D

That was exactly my point...the point that OP makes is so trivial to be "obvious".
Still 1000 people yelling at him...
May 25, 2018 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
If something is on Crunchyoll or Netflix, there's a higher chance that I'll watch it. Both apps are excellent, and I prefer them over pirate streaming sites.

That's one reason to watch newer stuff. But I try to mix seasonal stuff with older titles anyway.
May 25, 2018 12:15 PM

Sep 2017
My chances of enjoying Ecchi anime are 100%. That does not mean I should always watch only Ecchi.
May 25, 2018 1:58 PM
Sep 2017
There's more exciting discussion on currently airing shows since no one knows where the story is going and I feel it helps an anime fan build an identity since he might more easily find a less popular show that he may watch week to week and be able to build a more interesting taste in anime.
May 25, 2018 2:13 PM

Apr 2018
What is this, the 2nd title change now? Jesus fuck people, give the poor man a rest, it was just a simple question...

Also OP, here's my serious answer to your question.

I don't think it's in my best interest to rely too much on acclaim and score to judge whether I'm going to watch an anime or not. Believe it or not, even "classic" series get overhyped likes seasonals do. It's all subjective in the end. Personally, what hooks me in are the genre and character designs, but again, everyone's different.
Imperio_nMay 25, 2018 3:30 PM
May 25, 2018 3:15 PM

Jun 2008
I do like Digibro.

More on topic; Is this another watching airing shows vs watching already completed shows topic?
May 25, 2018 3:32 PM

Aug 2017
...because I am very curious about new things
Darlifra is so new and original.
I like Sakura in Heaven's Feel.
...Like weather, there is a 10% chance of slight snow on this day... on the other day, chance of heavy thunderstorm is 90%.
BBWBMay 25, 2018 3:40 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
May 25, 2018 4:28 PM

Apr 2015
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
If something is on Crunchyoll or Netflix, there's a higher chance that I'll watch it. Both apps are excellent, and I prefer them over pirate streaming sites.

That's one reason to watch newer stuff. But I try to mix seasonal stuff with older titles anyway.

Crunchyroll has gotten way better about adding backlog titles. And that makes me really happy.
observing a woman's body
May 25, 2018 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
Trent_Dashworth said:
There's more exciting discussion on currently airing shows since no one knows where the story is going and I feel it helps an anime fan build an identity since he might more easily find a less popular show that he may watch week to week and be able to build a more interesting taste in anime.

I'm very interested in your opinion here. Could you elaborate more so I could understand better? Maybe give an example?

Kerylon said:
it was just a simple question...

This

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

I completely forgot about that.
May 25, 2018 5:52 PM
Jul 2016
I don't care for anime content I just enjoy watching current trends.

MAL People have shit taste anyways so critically acclaimed means nothin to me.

May 25, 2018 6:07 PM

Dec 2015
because I usually only watch something if its synopsis is interesting to me. So, if the synopsis of something interests me, I pick it up, if it doesn't then I dont (there are some exceptions however, if something is constantly recommended to me then I'll probably give it a try i.e madoka magica)

i.e. For many reasons, I don't think I'd enjoy Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Princess Tutu (critically acclaimed shows), but I do love Drifters and Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin, even if they're not that great
_Rhapsody_May 25, 2018 6:23 PM
May 25, 2018 6:15 PM
Jul 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
NihilisticLoner said:

Yeah, MAL is actually one of the last places I go to discuss anime. Usually I hang out with a handful of friends on IRC and discuss anime with them first. This forum, on the other hand, is something I turn to when I don't know what to do with my time but want to procrastinate.

Honest comment.

9 times out of 10 I discuss anime with irl friends. Very rarely do I discuss anime via MAL. Mainly use it for reference.

May 25, 2018 6:47 PM

Nov 2017
I'm watching both completed shows and seasonals. Don't cha worry.
May 26, 2018 6:49 AM
Sep 2017
NihilisticLoner said:
Trent_Dashworth said:

I'm very interested in your opinion here. Could you elaborate more so I could understand better? Maybe give an example?

Kerylon said:
it was just a simple question...

This

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

I completely forgot about that.

For example Darling in the Franxx this season is really interesting to talk about since the plot still has so much to unpack and I really enjoy dissecting scenes and proposing fan theories. Its a fun activity that helps fans increase their own writing talents and get better at picking up cinematic language unlike with completed shows where you may be spoiled or can just binge to the end. Critically acclaimed shows on most critics lists are very samey(for good reason of course but still). Watching seasonal anime due to the convenience of the internet its easy to get hooked on niche properties. For example while watching seasonal anime I got hooked on Garo whose over the top tone was perfect for me (even though I fell off during the slower episodes).
Oct 6, 2018 11:45 PM

Jun 2016
I doubt most anime fans are looking specifically for critically-acclaimed anime than a show to talk about with other people. New anime have that advantage as the community is more garnered towards discussing about new anime currently airing and they are easily available to watch on sites like Crunchyroll once an episode airs.

Also I know a fair few guys that don't want to watch older anime like Bebop simply because how old it is/looks. It's a pretty common barrier for new anime fans.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2018 12:03 AM
Mar 2018
seasonal anime through dubbing channels like crunchyroll are mostly gonna be bad unfortunately. a lot of unpopular or unlicensed new stuff is not available through funi/crunchyroll.
Oct 7, 2018 12:14 AM

May 2017
Does that mean I shouldn't have watched Gants or Suisei no Gargantia just 'cause the're not critically acclaimed even tho I liked 'em both?

I want to decide what's good and what's not, what to watch and when to do it. That includes both Classics and Seasonal Anime.
Oct 7, 2018 12:25 AM
Oct 8, 2018 8:16 AM

Jul 2017
Because taste and preferences exist apparently so that's why people are not likely gonna go for something like Monster when their favorites mostly compose of lets say SoL or harem anime. Not saying that they don't have tastes for these kinds of things but it's unlikely that someone's gonna enjoy stuff far from their preferred anime.
Oct 8, 2018 8:22 AM

May 2018
Daisetsu-Kun said:
something like Monster when their favorites mostly compose of lets say SoL

But Monster is practically slice of life/daily life but from a runaway's perspective...and from the perspective of the guys who are chasing him or helping him.
Oct 9, 2018 4:09 AM

Jul 2017
alshu said:
But Monster is practically slice of life/daily life but from a runaway's perspective...and from the perspective of the guys who are chasing him or helping him.

Yeah but what I meant by SoL were those that take the genre as their main like Chu2Byo or Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

31 by Yaggamy »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

188 by Adnash »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

28 by Rinenka »»
20 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

39 by Tirinchas »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.