Forum Settings
Forums

What is the difference and relationship between Yaoi and Trap? What is your opinon about them?

New
May 19, 2018 1:41 AM

Dec 2017
First, let us set any offensive, sensitive, homosexual and gender-related issues aside and focus on the art of seme-uke and the appeal of feminine boys.

I'm not a fan of steamy yaoi and not interested on traps because I'm (a) Ruri-kun.
I just want to know the view of other people. That's all.
May 19, 2018 1:43 AM

May 2014
yaoi is two gay niggas kissing and traps is just chicks with dicks
May 19, 2018 1:44 AM

Apr 2017
yaoi is yaoi

trap-chan is secretive.

still life: pink roses
May 19, 2018 1:46 AM

Jul 2012
One is a description of a type of relationship and a specific content indicator. The other is a description of a character based on their physical appearance. They are literally completely different phrases. The places where they overlap are when a feminine character is a part of the all male relationship to a point that it's misleading when you first see them.

I've never watched Yaoi and don't have any particular interest in it (not to be confused with shounen ai which I'm sure I'll end up watching something eventually even as just a goof since I've heard some shows are especially bad). Traps are fine depending on how they're used.
May 19, 2018 1:52 AM
Dec 2017
in yaoi we know that the dude is upper level gay and if sees you then you sure gonna end up in his bed the next morning while in trap they can or cannot be gay but they sure are pretty and can give you a boner.
May 19, 2018 4:14 AM
Jul 2018
The otokonoko ("trap") lineage is coming from diverse sources, one of those sources is indeed all the « BL » things with works like Patalliro or From Eroica With Love.

After that, you also have the shōnen sources, with works like Stop!! Hibari-kun!.
And of course there is more traditional shōjo or seinen sources too.
The otokonoko archetype is pretty universal I'd say.

Nowadays, there is still BL manga using an otokonoko character, and not all of those otokonoko are the "uke" type but are rather can be the "seme" type, Nise x Koi Boyfriend for example.
May 19, 2018 4:26 AM

Jun 2011
Traps are meant for dudes (for the most part). Yaoi is usually meant for gals. Usually.

Doesn't mean there isn't a wide crossover audience. And most of the Fudanshi I know are into Bara, Traps, and shotas. And are usually the ones looking for one end of extreme or another.

Fujoshi seem to have adopted a more typical shonen preference (which is sad to me), even if I like it in some works, sometimes I wish we had those hyper shoujo pretty boys of ol'.

Traps are definitely not progressive in terms of a western lens. In a more Japanese lens... it can still be "problematic" but it is accurate to how some people feel east side. It is part of entire groups of people not having proper recognition or rights... kinda creates a lot of confusion.

There is for instance a belief that you can be "made gay" and this belief contributes heavily to both. Like a try it and you might like it or be stuck that way kind of thinking.

There is also a belief that if you are gay you want to be a girl. Which yeah contributes to both areas at times but less and less towards yaoi aimed at girls. The trap genre is made for straight men for the most part soooooo yeah this is still stronger on that side of things.

But I say this as someone who reads a heck of a lot more yaoi than yuri or gender bender. Though I do read all three including smut from josei and some hentai.

Oh and I noticed in most trap manga, it is super moe moe just like yuri has become and the sexuality is super limited like in moe moe stuff.

And I speak purely from a modern perspective. Because yeah you go far back enough and you find Yuri, hentai, yaoi, traps= all for girls. but over time, guys really took over.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 19, 2018 5:00 AM

Aug 2015
Yaoi characters don't look like girls, Traps (tomgirls) look like girls. Easy.
May 19, 2018 5:08 AM
Aug 2017
Yaoi is a genre of anime/manga, focusing on the relationahip of two boys that don't really 'have' to be traps. Traps are boys dressed up as gilrs... which can be seen in somehard yaoi manga. I love yaoi, but don't really have an opinion about traps...
May 19, 2018 5:15 AM

Oct 2012
Yaoi is made for women, traps are made for men confused about their sexuality
May 19, 2018 7:00 AM

Feb 2015
Kazataro said:
yaoi is two gay niggas kissing and traps is just chicks with dicks

LMAO that is a crude way to sums up everything
May 19, 2018 7:16 AM

Jan 2011
Fans of one of them pretends it's not gay.
May 19, 2018 7:22 AM
May 2018
Trap -> androgynous men who dressed like women
Yaoi -> A genre about homosexual men's relationship

In my opinion, yaoi is for women or gay otaku who like 2-D hunk men having sex with each other and trap is just for trolling the readers and make readers to rethink their sexuality lol
May 19, 2018 7:32 AM

Oct 2016
To me there's really no difference. Yaoi is the relationship and sex between two men, and traps while very femine are still boys. If the trap is having sexual relations with another guy then it's called Yaoi- it's actually very simple.

Yes, traps are gay.

More topics from this board

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 23 minutes ago

3 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

15 by JaniSIr »»
8 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

43 by EastIndiaCompany »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

105 by Piromysl »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.