Forum Settings
Forums
Imperfect Girl
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2018 6:33 PM
Jun 2014
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Was that editor the older "U" at the end of the last chapter?
She looked exactly the same for me.
Aug 13, 2018 2:02 AM
Aug 2018
I guess so, both of them looked similar
Oct 14, 2018 1:53 PM

Dec 2017
ugh, unexpected reunion is unexpected. it almost ruined all the seriousness of the story with such a coincidence of her becoming an outstanding editor and being assigned to him. and he didn't recognize her after 10 year? well, that may be plausible, yet still, the aftertaste, man

oh, and also, how come her parents could strangle one another? either one must survive. i get if they stabbed each other or something like that. such a weird way to kill of the parents
uninstallthegameOct 14, 2018 1:56 PM
Nov 23, 2018 2:29 AM
Dec 2015
They did recognized each other. She became an editor because she loved the stories he told her that night. He became a writer because he continued the stories that he told her that night. It wasn't coincidence either when they met. She searched for him so that she would be his editor. And when he saw that, he didn't want her to remember all the bad stuff that happened, so he pretended that nothing of that happened, and that's why he says "nice to meet you".

I hope you will understand my english and the point that I was trying to make.
Dec 4, 2018 8:14 PM

Sep 2015
uninstallthegame said:
ugh, unexpected reunion is unexpected. it almost ruined all the seriousness of the story with such a coincidence of her becoming an outstanding editor and being assigned to him. and he didn't recognize her after 10 year? well, that may be plausible, yet still, the aftertaste, man

oh, and also, how come her parents could strangle one another? either one must survive. i get if they stabbed each other or something like that. such a weird way to kill of the parents

I kinda agree that strangling was a weird way to show it, but it's a haunting image that works and makes sense. Did you not see the electrical cord? They strangled each other, and were electrocuted-- that alone would cause the muscles in the body to go into shock. Even if they weren't electrocuted, if they both cut off their circulations, using their muscles to hold themselves up-- then no matter what, rigamortis sets in and yeah you get the idea.

This guy responded to you but he should have quoted. I agree. And when you think about it, it is a probable reunion, even if it isn't the most probable.

R0B3R70 said:
They did recognized each other. She became an editor because she loved the stories he told her that night. He became a writer because he continued the stories that he told her that night. It wasn't coincidence either when they met. She searched for him so that she would be his editor. And when he saw that, he didn't want her to remember all the bad stuff that happened, so he pretended that nothing of that happened, and that's why he says "nice to meet you".

Dec 5, 2018 10:59 AM

Dec 2017
Draconix814 said:

I kinda agree that strangling was a weird way to show it, but it's a haunting image that works and makes sense. Did you not see the electrical cord? They strangled each other, and were electrocuted-- that alone would cause the muscles in the body to go into shock. Even if they weren't electrocuted, if they both cut off their circulations, using their muscles to hold themselves up-- then no matter what, rigamortis sets in and yeah you get the idea.

ah, i didn't notice the cord. that makes a lot of sense now. but yeah, even if they weren't electrocuted, to be hanging in such a pose is mostly unlikely, it's almost too dramatic. but i'm again, not impossible, for example suicide of Evelyn McHale which is almost too beautiful for such an event

also, thanks for mentioning the other comment x)

R0B3R70 said:

if you think about it that way that would make much more sense for it to be that way, it's just it isn't obvious. nisio isin kinda gives you a way to think it out by yourself with that open ending "nice to meet you". i totally can see that. it's just he didn't give too many hints about it
Dec 5, 2018 12:15 PM

Sep 2015
uninstallthegame said:
ah, i didn't notice the cord. that makes a lot of sense now. but yeah, even if they weren't electrocuted, to be hanging in such a pose is mostly unlikely, it's almost too dramatic. but i'm again, not impossible, for example suicide of Evelyn McHale which is almost too beautiful for such an event

Like I said, it's not exactly about the plausibility of the event, but rather how the image is portrayed which makes it so impactful. Like if they stopped time in that moment and it better emphasizes how she keeps going about her days because of the lessons drilled into her, and not because she's denying it happened. If it was portrayed as "they both stabbed each other and now they're rotting away", then it would imply she was denying it happened instead of doing it in spite of the situation. Then it would be much more melodramatic, unless it's done right (in a different way).

She needs to learn to think for herself instead of letting rules guide her, so the haunting image of her mother and father strangling each other works better imo. It shows just how twisted her values are, because of her upbringing. That because of her upbringing and the values she's taught (rather, how she was taught them), she can't even do what's right in a situation like this. It boils down to a criticism of Japanese society and the unfair, and unjustified expectations and punishments put onto children her age, that everyone overlooks. This is why the haunting image works so much better, because these twisted values (or rather how people act in spite of those values) literally haunt over JP society.

if you think about it that way that would make much more sense for it to be that way, it's just it isn't obvious. nisio isin kinda gives you a way to think it out by yourself with that open ending "nice to meet you". i totally can see that. it's just he didn't give too many hints about it

I think all the hints we need are there. The entire story is about how this event made him a professional author. He was "missing something", and he was able to write good stories after this event because he was no longer writing without a purpose, he was telling tales that would resonate with others. Similarly, UU was missing a sense of direction or a purpose in her life. So you can say here that just because stories were what basically set her free, that she would be inspired to go into the direction of writing, or perhaps, like her upbringing, a job that requires reform or formalizing (or editing). But she did say that she "grew up reading his stories", so it was likely intentional that she wanted to be his editor when the opportunity arose. It's not clear if she knew it was the same dude who helped her when she was 10, it's not like they exchanged names after all, but perhaps she recognized the stories he told. Or, perhaps it was because she subconsciously recognized the stories that she was drawn to them, regardless of whether she actually knew it was him or not (But let's be honest, she probably did). As for MC-kun saying "nice to meet you" at the end, he did it after he thought "it's been 10 years", so yeah, he recognized her, but I'm of the belief that he said "nice to meet you" because they are ultimately different people than they were 10 years ago. They are not "the aspiring novelist" and "the imperfect girl" (like how he references how these are documents and he should refrain from saying real names), they are now *flips open book* Kakimoto-sensei and Yuu Yuugure. And I'm sure both names mean something in Japanese, even if they don't, it doesn't really take away from the meaning.
Draconix814Dec 5, 2018 5:40 PM
Apr 28, 2019 8:43 PM

Dec 2009
I would of liked a conversation I guess, a hug, or something casual instead of just greeting each other, and then the end.
But oh well. Quite psychological, which I really enjoyed, bitter sweet near the end and beautiful in the end.
8/10. Good read from the creator of The Monogatari Series.
Jan 23, 2021 9:53 PM
Feb 2020
Worth the read, sad story
Nov 8, 2021 10:06 PM

Dec 2009
After rereading this, it's truly a hidden gem of a 9/10 excellent story.
I still wish there was more of an epilogue to the ending, but it is an awesome experience from NiSioIsin and the Artist.
... I wonder how different the original novel is from this manga adaption. I'm still hoping this gets an anime adaption one day, if not at least a great live-action movie adaption.
Jan 23, 2022 10:36 AM

Jan 2020
It's a while since the last comment on this but is there a better interpretation of the ending and whether the mc truly recognised the girl? It's clear the girl does recognise him as she explicitly refers says to "hear" his stories instead of read - something the mc notes in his thoughts. The mc's last sentence, "it's been 10 years since I last..." doesn't quite make sense.. is there's a subtlety lost from the original Japanese translation or perhaps I'm not catching the inference?
Apr 1, 2022 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
K-Lye said:
It's a while since the last comment on this but is there a better interpretation of the ending and whether the mc truly recognised the girl? It's clear the girl does recognise him as she explicitly refers says to "hear" his stories instead of read - something the mc notes in his thoughts. The mc's last sentence, "it's been 10 years since I last..." doesn't quite make sense.. is there's a subtlety lost from the original Japanese translation or perhaps I'm not catching the inference?
i think he did recognise her but i dunno why he acts like that
Maybe he's a tsundere or something
Sep 11, 2022 10:01 AM

Aug 2013
I thought the names were intersting. The editor's name is Yuugure Yuu. In Japanese, U.U would be pronounced "Yuyu" or "Yuuyuu" which further implies that the editor is indeed U.U.

And the author's last name Kakimoto can be broken up into "kaki", which means "to write" if written with another kanji, and "moto", which means "origin" or "base"
Dec 20, 2022 6:19 PM
Dec 2022
Espero que se hayan casado
Mar 17, 2023 4:05 AM
Mar 2021
Short but a well told story
May 17, 2023 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
this shit was a two pack of ass
Mar 30, 4:55 PM

Oct 2014
I'm gonna have to start reading some more NISIOISIN because in everything I've seen so far I've enjoyed his writing style tremendously. Hattori also did a great job of adapting the story into a manga. The paneling and illustrations were great.

I actually wanted more from the reunion but I'm pretty satisfied for a 3 volume series. It seems like they both had good lives so that's what counts. It was nice that she kept reading his stories and probably put in extra effort to be his editor.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo Fujuubun Chapter 19 Discussion

removed-user - May 17, 2023

0 by removed-user »»
May 17, 2023 8:59 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Fujuubun Chapter 18 Discussion

0 by removed-user »»
May 17, 2023 8:48 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Fujuubun Chapter 10 Discussion

0 by removed-user »»
May 17, 2023 8:30 PM

Poll: » Shoujo Fujuubun Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

5 by removed-user »»
Mar 3, 2023 9:59 PM

» Which are the novels they refer to?

futuremedninja_ - Dec 27, 2019

3 by psyche-K »»
Mar 2, 2023 9:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.