Forum Settings
Forums

What ATUALLY are in university/college anime clubs?

New
Would you like to join the anime-related clubs in your university/college?
May 17, 2018 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
Recently I've been watching Genshiken and I enjoyed the series a lot. However, in your opinion, what kinds of people are in the university/college anime clubs and what would they do in those clubs? I bet there's a huge difference between the anime clubs in Japan (Also eastern or southeastern countries) and the anime clubs in the educational institutions of the West. Please tell OP about the real situation of western anime clubs in unis/colleges if you know about it. TIA :D
May 17, 2018 10:02 PM

Apr 2016
I'm gonna follow this. About to enter uni this fall and I would also like to know.
May 17, 2018 10:02 PM
Aug 2016
I wouldn't join even if I'm not busy with any school work whatsoever.

I'm a college student (who's going to be a 2nd year)
May 17, 2018 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
Based said:
I wouldn't join even if I'm not busy with any school work whatsoever.

I'm a college student (who's going to be a 2nd year)
Yeah, I feel you dude. Even though I'm in high school at this point, I know the academic works of unis/colleges are gonna be heavy as hell...
May 17, 2018 10:09 PM
Jul 2018
Re_Animated said:
I'm gonna follow this. About to enter uni this fall and I would also like to know.
Well I have to complete high school for another 2 years, but I surely want to get informed about this stuff earlier :P
May 17, 2018 10:17 PM

Nov 2015
Yeah nah i wouldn't join, also there's no university anime clubs were i live so even if i wanted to...
May 17, 2018 10:18 PM

Apr 2016
Lol, it's kinda funny. The anime club I used to be in was named after that anime! At my university, we voted on anime to watch, watched it, and held monthly game nights. We hosted activities to earn money like a Test of Courage in the woods nearby, an anime cafe, and a convention with panels at school. The members were kinda varied: 40% were chill, calm, and fun to talk to, 30% were introverts who watched the shows while playing games in the back, 10% were annoying loud weabs who couldn't hold a mature conversation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 2018 10:23 PM

Jul 2013
Well I can say I was the Program Chairman and then President of my high school’s anime club and now that I am in college I was the treasure then this year I was the VP and then starting in the fall I will be the President. What actually goes on will probably vary greatly school to school. There are a lot of things that go into deciding what happens in club meetings. For example my school gives us like $7500. At minimum we must have 4 events which are separate than regular meetings. Our events are Movie Night where we pick a movie and watch it. We do that each semester. Our other event is a small anime convention that we cohost with the Game Club and LoL Club. Typical meetings varying greatly each week. One week we could be watching two or three episodes of something and another week the eboard teaches the members about some aspect of Japan, it’s culture, or history. I doubt Genshiken club meetings are going to be representative of real western club meetings but if your interested you should definitely check it out. If you don’t like it you can always leave or try to change it. Hope this helps
May 17, 2018 10:42 PM

Aug 2009
Fat guys in One Piece t-shirts selling cup cakes.

May 17, 2018 10:50 PM

Oct 2010
I know only one anime uni club, they watch anime and draw cute waifus. They even host an event where they watch anime all night. I don't go to their meetings though, even though anyone can go.
May 17, 2018 10:54 PM
May 2014
I'm in my uni's anime club. It's actually pretty fun. We watch three episodes of two anime series every week during the semester which is how I've discovered some anime I would never have watched otherwise. We also go see anime movies when they're in theaters and some members volunteer at conventions.
May 18, 2018 2:06 AM
Aug 2016
What's in a university/college anime club? Oh, that's easy. Weebs.
May 18, 2018 2:26 AM

Dec 2017
Those clubs don’t exist at mine and even if they did I wouldn’t join. I would read the small letters first if I was you. When I was in my first year of uni lots of people fell behind because of their club activities.
May 18, 2018 2:51 AM
Dec 2016
I joined last fall the anime and manga club from my university. Once in two weeks, (mostly on Fridays, but not every Friday) we gather around on the clubroom and watch some anime. Mostly 12 episodes with one break, bingewatching ajshsjh. Once in two months we have some anime karaoke, which is really fun. I don't really talk to the people, but it's different to watch something with people and think you are really in interaction with someone. They have some manga you can borrow, but I haven't tried them so idk..

And I really like those karaoke evenings, they're fun. x3 We also have some chatgroups, but idk.. I'm not really the social one. I just listen and think I'm social.

I'm happy that I got enough courage to join the club on my second year..
May 18, 2018 3:05 AM

Apr 2016
Well, I study Japanese on a university, so my group is almost like an anime club (I guess?) We watched 2 anime movies during our Japanese classes, so I guess it counts.
But if there was an actual club to watch and discuss anime, then sure, I'd like to join.
ChroNoiR Episode.0 is the best anime to ever exist

Kanae forever in my heart

May 18, 2018 3:07 AM

Feb 2013
What actually transpires beneath the veil of an anime club? Decent people shouldn't think too much about that.
May 18, 2018 3:11 AM

Jul 2013
I'm in my unis anime and manga club. I've mentioned what they're like before, but i'll summarize it again.

The anime club is pretty medicore, it's filled with normies and those new to the medium. We pick an anime to watch monthly or sometimes weekly and throughout the weeks talk about it while going through it in our own time. The discussion is pretty low-level stuff, but it's not too bad. I've met a few friends there too.

The manga club is better. We do the same thing that I mentioned in the anime club. The difference being that it's filled with more veterans than normies, improving the level of discussion. With that said, there are a few obnoxious bastards in the club, but otherwise it's a pretty fun place to be.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 18, 2018 3:13 AM

Jun 2011
Old anime clubs were just like Genshiken. New anime clubs are not like that and have the tendency to feel lots of distance and lots of cliques. A lot of anime clubs are dying.

Anime clubs with older members, people who were fans before 2006, usually in a house personal setting, yes, definitely more like that. And the type of people. But.... now? people just stay home. :( If there are any members at all, they are the type of people who say "I hate shoujo" and then love Natsume. lol

Maybe because newbs shame elitism sooooo we people who know a lot are quiet. And they are loud and obnoxious as they want these days. Old-taku been shamed into a corner because we actually buy anime and know what we are talking about. Old-taku weren't normal at all though.... we valued our hobby.
Energetic-NovaMay 18, 2018 3:18 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 18, 2018 3:17 AM

Jan 2017
I would check it out and see if it is as cringy as i thought
May 18, 2018 3:23 AM

Nov 2016
i was lucky enough to join one in uni (09-14). well it was a mixed breed chimera actually. mainly gaming, movies and whatnot, but some people did bring anime along. while we were updating our games, we watched some eps here and there. thats when i embraced angel beats and decided i liked anime.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
May 18, 2018 3:47 AM

Jan 2017
It depends on members of the club. If they are introverts(hardcore ones which never like to talk to other people) or highly enthusiastic otakus who brag bout their waifu all the day then NOPE.

But my situation is also not that good. No one with whom i m associated irl knows or watches anime. This is the only place where i get to meet anime fans :-(
May 18, 2018 6:24 PM

Apr 2014
I went to a couple of meetings when I was in uni (mostly for the food, if I'm gonna be honest). It wasn't too exciting, just picking an anime to watch and going through a few episodes every meeting. Oh, and sometimes there were anime-related events and people were welcome to arrive in cosplay or something..

I stopped going and just kept watching stuff by myself or with a couple of my other friends. I felt more comfortable that way too, and I didn't have to watch something that was picked randomly. It wasn't a bad experience overall even though I didn't really like a lot of people in the club.

"Nothing Lasts Forever, Including Parents, Money, Youth, Your Room,
Dress Shirts, Me, You, and the Gintama Anime."
May 18, 2018 7:49 PM

Jun 2016
I've been to a few campuses, and from my experiences I'd say it depends the most on who's running it (and how prone they are to peer pressure). An anime club is actually where I was properly introduced to anime. I had begun making friends and some of them started up a new anime club so I visited one day to hang out and get to know them better. It turned out that my tastes were quite similar to the club manager and when I mentioned that I had no experience with anime he was able to set me on the right foot.

That club was run in a way that was essentially a middle-ground for what you might expect from clubs. Typically newer or currently airing anime were previewed, but sometimes a somewhat older but well-received anime (rarely older than 10 years old at the time) was watched. If people liked a show enough it had a chance of being continued, though this was uncommon. The idea was to provide variety but aim for a certain level of quality; a balance for people who had seen a lot and people who had seen little to none. To this end the club manager would usually pick something that was within his tastes, but often took suggestions from club members (and sometimes let them choose themselves, within school guidelines) to keep things from being too specific.

Some clubs stick to introductory level shounen & Ghibli flims to try and attract lots of newcomers, while others are bands of tight-knit hardcore otaku with specific and sometimes niche tastes, but this first club I came to attend regularly was an effort to be a mix of both, and typically there's a gradient in ether direction away from that with the two short examples I just mentioned being at either extreme. They often aren't consistent on this scale in the long-run, as either the club leaders become prone to peer pressure which often leads to more "newbie-friendly" stuff being shown, or begin actively resisting it and go more specific & niche over time.

As to whether you should join them? There's little reason not to try. Ultimately whether you get along with the other members or not has the biggest effect on whether you would begin enjoying yourself or decide that particular club isn't for you. The wide range of anime we watched in my first club meant that we saw a mix of good, bad, and debatable titles, but as long as those in attendance got along we were able to have a good time. Appreciate the good, laugh at the bad, and have colorful debates over, well, everything.

CJ_Kiyoruki said:
The members were kinda varied: 40% were chill, calm, and fun to talk to, 30% were introverts who watched the shows while playing games in the back, 10% were annoying loud weabs who couldn't hold a mature conversation.

Apply the remaining 20% as wildcards that could go in either of the three categories and that's rather accurate for most clubs. Maybe less chill/fun and more introverts with the otaku-heavy clubs if we're being pedantic.
May 18, 2018 8:25 PM

Oct 2014
My old university had a fairly big club with almost 1000 members, but that was also including all alumni as well. The club ran simulwatches of anime series and movies weekly and also occasionally did meetups to go attend anime conventions and expos. Other than that there was not much else they did other than have a facebook group which was fairly inactive unless someone asked for a recommendation or posted a set of memes.

More topics from this board

» Anime show good at portraying female drama/toxicity?

passtur - Yesterday

34 by JKKH »»
2 minutes ago

» Reason versus emotion in the perception of anime

RobertBobert - Apr 14

6 by APolygons2 »»
12 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

173 by Serafos »»
18 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 4 hours ago

38 by Zettaiken »»
38 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

122 by neolucaman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.