Forum Settings
Forums

Best excuses for not going out with friends?

New
May 14, 2018 3:57 PM

Jan 2015
I love my friends, don't get me wrong. But recently I've been feeling super anti social and the sole thought of going out is making me feel uncomfortable. Not to mention they want me to go to something similar to a rave :) I will probably get 263047320 panic attacks and die if I go. What do?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 14, 2018 3:59 PM

Aug 2014
Why not just be honest with them? It's not good to lie to friends.
May 14, 2018 4:00 PM

Feb 2016
don't lie to them. i used to have many friends, but i never wanted to hang out with them. i always told them excuses that i had to do other stuff, and after a few months they all stopped talking to me. just be honest.

May 2017
Ye i can relate to that,similiar situation rit now.
I just tell 'em im working and they take the hint usually

Apr 2017
"hey man you down to go watch paint dry?"

"nah, i don't feel up to it"

"aight man but it's red this time so your loss"

if they're good friends they'll understand that you just don't want to
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
May 14, 2018 4:03 PM

Oct 2016
I usually put the blame on my parents or the studies/work to not go out like "oh sorry bruh, i really can't go out with ya, i'm pretty busy studying, working or my parents are not letting me go" it always work for me when i'm lazy to go out home.

Saying that you're sick also works fine as well, say that you are having a terrible headache or fever.
May 14, 2018 4:07 PM

Jul 2017
Just be sure to go to everything you can handle, otherwise they might get the impression you don't wanna hang with them personally. Then they'll follow you after your yoga session and find out you sing death metal at karaoke. Oh wait thats just the plot for Aggretsuko..
May 14, 2018 4:19 PM

Apr 2012
Why not just say I don't want to hang out? If they're good friends they'll understand.
May 14, 2018 4:22 PM

Jan 2015
The thing is I've been planning to go there and was excited about it until recently. So saying I don't wanna do it would just be strange... I don't usually refuse to hang out so I think this once should be ok?

May 14, 2018 5:32 PM

Feb 2018
"My crippling anxiety has induced a flu-like malaise, and I feel as if I'm going to die." :)
May 14, 2018 5:34 PM

May 2018
My best excuses for not going out with friends is quite simple, I don't have friends :')
May 14, 2018 5:35 PM

Jun 2017
If you really don't feel like it just tell them straight up. Don't be scared to explain to your friends how you feel, it's better to let them know straight up than lie.
Though we are parted,
If on Mount Inaba's peak
I should hear the sound
Of the pine trees growing there,
I'll come back again to you.
May 14, 2018 5:38 PM

Jun 2016
The fact that you're trying to come up with an excuse is a problem in itself.

While I am a firm believer in just saying no, I don't think this is one of those times. Sometimes, going even if you don't want to is the better choice to make if you want to stay on good terms with your friends. I get that good friends will understand, but the thing here is that you've been planning to go together. Suddenly cancelling on them doesn't sound like something a good friend would do. Not to mention, even if you do make up an excuse, your friends will probably see right through it.
May 14, 2018 5:41 PM

Jan 2015
casual_filth said:
"My crippling anxiety has induced a flu-like malaise, and I feel as if I'm going to die." :)

lmao seems like you're the one who gets it :)

May 14, 2018 5:52 PM

Feb 2016
Tell them you are on your period or sth
May 14, 2018 5:58 PM

Jan 2015
Dildry said:
Tell them you are on your period or sth

Usually I'd go even if I were on my period tho lmao I am a strong independent woman who doesn't fear period cramps. (says she while sinking into the unknown depths of The Depression Ocean)

May 14, 2018 6:04 PM

Dec 2014
Just say that you're not feeling very well or don't felll like going.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
May 14, 2018 6:32 PM

Sep 2011
I don't see the reason why you need to come up with an excuse though. If they see you as a friend, I'm pretty sure they'll understand your circumstances.

May 14, 2018 6:46 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe hanging around with a bunch of Extroverted personalities isn't your thing, OP? That is, if you're an Introvert. The outside world (Basically anything on the 'external') caters to the extroverted personalities moreso than the introverted personalities. If you're too introverted and socially uncomfortable with social events/gatherings/get together's, etc. you shouldn't have to be forced to go to them. Sure it's great to have friends, but not if it's always going to be one big anxiety trip every time.
May 14, 2018 6:58 PM

Mar 2008
Best excuse is not having friends. If you have friends just be up front and honest but gentle. Simple.
May 14, 2018 10:37 PM

Apr 2015
"My mom said no" - I'm 20 and still use this excuse, because mom always has the last word lol
May 14, 2018 10:49 PM

Jan 2018
hotlinetohell said:
The thing is I've been planning to go there and was excited about it until recently. So saying I don't wanna do it would just be strange... I don't usually refuse to hang out so I think this once should be ok?

Just go. Don't run from them. Just tell them it's pretty average and you hope to never go for another one next time. :)

What could actually go wrong.. You may want to try bringing

cigarette
chewing gum
candy
Phone
pill
May 15, 2018 12:34 AM

Sep 2012
idk just tell them you can't.
if they're bothered that much by it you should probably get some better friends.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

May 15, 2018 1:21 AM

Jan 2018
How can you avoid your friends!!! Cant help but question if they are really your friends/people with similar minds as yours. You normally hang out with people who are ok in your eyes, same mindset as yours. So just tell if you don't want to go. I guess different ppl has different types of friends.

As for me, Id jump out when my friends are calling me. And obviously its something fun their going to do now. Cause I know how my friends have a good time and that's part of why I became friends with them. Without a question ill like whatever their upto. Still sometimes I don't go out and just straight tell them I'm not going.
May 15, 2018 1:27 AM

Oct 2015
flat out tell them you don't like it i have my fair share of riajuu friends and they seem to understand albeit trying to pressure me into going w/ them but end up failing mehehehe... but if its excuse i usually use my family... they know my mother is strict so hehe i lie by saying she forced me to attend or etc etc or even sometimes use school but most of the time I just tell them

If they really are your friends they would understand :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2018 2:48 AM

Apr 2017
I just admit to people that i just cant be arsed to socialize sometimes.. Little lies and avoiding stuff , will only get you labeled as a bad friend
May 15, 2018 2:55 AM

Nov 2016
Just tell them you're ugly so you don't belong in a rave, and then wallow in self-pity back in your sweet corner.
May 15, 2018 3:17 AM

May 2016
I don't have this problem, because I don't have RL friends.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
May 15, 2018 3:22 AM

Jul 2013
The best thing to do in a situation like this is to get out of your comfort zone and go. I used to try avoid social situations too, and it only affected my life negatively, I recommend you don't go down the same path. You don't want to feel uncomfortable? Suck it up and go enjoy your social life.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 15, 2018 4:38 AM

Jan 2015
iMysteriousAura said:
The fact that you're trying to come up with an excuse is a problem in itself.

While I am a firm believer in just saying no, I don't think this is one of those times. Sometimes, going even if you don't want to is the better choice to make if you want to stay on good terms with your friends. I get that good friends will understand, but the thing here is that you've been planning to go together. Suddenly cancelling on them doesn't sound like something a good friend would do. Not to mention, even if you do make up an excuse, your friends will probably see right through it.

That's what I was thinking. But the problem with forcing myself to go there is that it is a rave it starts at 10pm and ends at 5am. :)

rubylightning said:
Maybe hanging around with a bunch of Extroverted personalities isn't your thing, OP? That is, if you're an Introvert. The outside world (Basically anything on the 'external') caters to the extroverted personalities moreso than the introverted personalities. If you're too introverted and socially uncomfortable with social events/gatherings/get together's, etc. you shouldn't have to be forced to go to them. Sure it's great to have friends, but not if it's always going to be one big anxiety trip every time.

hazecloud said:

Just go. Don't run from them. Just tell them it's pretty average and you hope to never go for another one next time. :)

What could actually go wrong..

Fuchsia said:
The best thing to do in a situation like this is to get out of your comfort zone and go. I used to try avoid social situations too, and it only affected my life negatively, I recommend you don't go down the same path. You don't want to feel uncomfortable? Suck it up and go enjoy your social life.

Well, here's the thing. I used to have this extroverted best friend and we went to raves together and all (I actually liked it, it was lit). But then a few months ago she made this whole drama and stopped being friends with me, event though I did literally nothing wrong. So ever since then, I went back to binge watching anime, playing games and working all day to the point where I go out like once a week. A few days ago I went out during the day (I usually go out during night time) to see my friend and I had to pass through this outdoor cafe area where a bunch of people were sitting and staring at passerbys. I got quite an anxiety attack during that. So, essentially I was not a completely introverted person, but I guess I became one? And even so - I could kinda will myself into going there, if I didn't know for a fact my ex best friend would be there. :)

Thanakos said:
Just tell them you're ugly so you don't belong in a rave, and then wallow in self-pity back in your sweet corner.

lmao will do

And to everyone else: thanks for advice :')

May 15, 2018 4:46 AM

Jan 2018
Just say you aren't feeling it and that you might go some other day. Or just straight up tell them that you feel uncomfortable going to a rave lol

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

May 15, 2018 4:53 AM

Jul 2013
@hotlinetohell

Regardless, if I were you i'd force myself to go. If not, your social anxiety is only going to worsen. Try to take it slow, start slowly becoming more social again, especially since you've had an anxiety attack, taking it slow is likely the best option. I've been through a similar period of time in my life. I came up with excuses, worried and missed many great experiences, and degraded myself because of simple fear. In regards to your best friend, don't let that get to you, I don't know the specifics, but it's probably not as bad as you think. You don't need to become best friends with her again, just don't let a past relationship with her get in the way of some possibly great experiences.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 15, 2018 5:12 AM

Jan 2015
Fuchsia said:
@hotlinetohell

Regardless, if I were you i'd force myself to go. If not, your social anxiety is only going to worsen. Try to take it slow, start slowly becoming more social again, especially since you've had an anxiety attack, taking it slow is likely the best option. I've been through a similar period of time in my life. I came up with excuses, worried and missed many great experiences, and degraded myself because of simple fear. In regards to your best friend, don't let that get to you, I don't know the specifics, but it's probably not as bad as you think. You don't need to become best friends with her again, just don't let a past relationship with her get in the way of some possibly great experiences.

Okay, thanks :) I'll really try to go, but if I just can't make myself go I will make other plans with my friends to like, make up for the loss I guess. How does that sound?

Oh and as for the ex friend situation - it's pretty bad, she's shittalking me to everyone :) The fact that it's bad is the reason why I'm like this. But, I will try not to get myself down anymore...

May 15, 2018 5:36 AM

May 2016
Never find cheap excuses, just be honest with them and they will understand.
May 15, 2018 5:38 AM

Apr 2016
Nas said:

What if someone has so many friends that he or she can't decide which ones to take out lol.
May 15, 2018 5:42 AM

Jan 2015
Swagernator said:
Nas said:

What if someone has so many friends that he or she can't decide which ones to take out lol.

How about taking out all of them at once? :)

May 15, 2018 5:46 AM

Jun 2016
Rewatching SAO 1233 times I think ^^
May 15, 2018 5:48 AM

May 2016
Swagernator said:
Nas said:

Either the person will play Russian roulette with his group to decide.

Or

They will all drink rakija and the person that still stands is the winner that goes out.

This can also be a very unnecessary process tbh. I just need the post count lol.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
May 15, 2018 6:12 AM
Jul 2018
People see through excuses. Just tell them you don't want to hang out. Sure, they might try to pressure you into coming out (they're your friends after all), but ultimately I think it makes for a healthier relationship if you're just straight up.
May 15, 2018 6:28 AM

Jan 2018
Swagernator said:

I literally got a friend like that lul. He has soooooo many friends that its like every man in the city is his friend/known to him. Whenever we go out, he will always meet some friends along the way. One time we went out he met some of his (other)friends . He kept talking with them for so long that at one point we left him there(we kinda got annoyed that he meets someone every time we go out). He looked for us a while and then went with those guys rest of the night.
May 15, 2018 7:02 AM

Dec 2016
"Sorry for not coming, I didn't want to as it seemed boring as fuck."
"Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."
May 15, 2018 7:27 AM

Mar 2016
Just tell them you do not want to go out with them. I'm not sure why it's so hard to be direct?
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

May 15, 2018 11:03 AM
Mar 2018
Just tell them that you cant go due how busy you are, honest is the best policy :)
May 15, 2018 11:15 AM

Nov 2016
The classic I'm sick, I don't feel so good.
May 15, 2018 11:47 AM

Jan 2018
oh yeah it wouldn't be interesting if you had to see her face. Just say you're helping your parents cleaning house or something. Just don't go and by the way, rave sucks :p
May 15, 2018 11:53 AM

Jan 2017
"I don't want to go out", i never lie,but most of the time anyway i can't due to my work.
And I actually would like to go out with someone,i'm in finland for a week and these people never talk! and super not friendly, for a week i had no conversation at all :(
🙄
May 15, 2018 11:54 AM

Aug 2017
op ur lying. no one on here has friends and you know its true
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2018 11:59 AM

Jan 2015
hazecloud said:
oh yeah it wouldn't be interesting if you had to see her face. Just say you're helping your parents cleaning house or something. Just don't go and by the way, rave sucks :p

haha why do you hate raves though? :)

May 15, 2018 12:01 PM

Jan 2015
degenerate said:
op ur lying. no one on here has friends and you know its true

except i wasn't on here until recently and i still have some remains of my past social life lol

May 15, 2018 12:05 PM

May 2013
Is it one of those club events? Like 'Alpha Hex Omega Wolffucker EDM throwdown!!' lol those are surprisingly hard to fit in at.

It's entirely justifiable not to go out tho especially if you're practicing something like drawing or an instrument. Or if you have been going out with them you can say I jsut want to be alone.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

24 by MeanMrMusician »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 1 hour ago

6 by MeanMrMusician »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » In the future there will be battles for love between species from other planets(theory)

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

8 by DoctorWasabi »»
23 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

674 by Hitagi__Furude »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 5 hours ago

16 by L0bsterman »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.