Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 2018 6:02 PM

Apr 2015
So at first we were all familiar with One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. But Bleach is no more and Naruto has undergone some severe changes so it leads one to ask: Who are the new Big 3.

Sakura Anime News argues that they are:
-One Piece
-Boruto
-My Hero Academia

Crunchyroll says:
-One Piece
-My Hero Academia
-Black Clover

So what do you guys think constitutes the new Big 3? Or does that category even still exist at this point?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 13, 2018 6:05 PM

May 2013
Actually as it stands We have One Piece, then we have the big 3 after that
so it this

The King; One Piece

Big 3
-My Hero Academia
-Promise to Neverland
-Black Clover
May 13, 2018 6:06 PM

Dec 2017
No way in hell will Boruto make it in the next big 3, considering that a good portion of the Naruto fanbase despises its very existence. Black Clover has a better shot but that's still very questionable since it's generally hated as well. One thing that's for certain is that it'll be extremely difficult for another shounen to reach the popularity that the original big 3 did. And all of this is assuming that there will ever be another "big 3", which doesn't seem very likely. My Hero Academia is on fire right now though.
NickDenMay 13, 2018 6:16 PM
May 13, 2018 6:06 PM

Apr 2017
>Black Clover

Okay, I'm not an expert on shounen. But. People still watch watch that show?

Both Boruto and Black Clover were pretty bad I thought tbh
May 13, 2018 6:07 PM

Mar 2017
uggh... Black Clover? why? But I do see that My hero Academia could definitely take the place of naruto/bleach. It's kinda sad to see the Big Three changing, but exciting what the dramatic shifts taking place in the anime industry.
May 13, 2018 6:09 PM

Sep 2015
-one piece
-one piece
- annnd one piece
come back at me when another shounen hits the 300 ep count
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
May 13, 2018 6:10 PM

Jul 2017
God I hope Black Clover becomes less annoying like Naruto did.

But honestly probably
My Hero Academia
Black Cover
One Piece
May 13, 2018 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
The replacements for Bleach and Naruto are Attack on Titan & My Hero Academia

May 13, 2018 6:11 PM

Apr 2016
There are no big 3 anymore. It's just one piece.
May 13, 2018 6:14 PM

May 2015
I hardly can consider Black Clover as a part of a new big 3, but Boruto? no way. I think, by now at least, that concept is no longer relevant.
ren_moonMay 13, 2018 6:21 PM
May 13, 2018 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
There will never be another big 3, but even if there was one piece is no where near that discussion, most of the persons that are following one piece are from the older generation, the newer generation wont even give it a try because of its big episode count.

In terms of manga sales in Japan its still king of course.

May 13, 2018 6:16 PM

Oct 2015
The Daddy
One Piece

New Big 3
Attack on Titan
My Hero Academia
Haikyuu
May 13, 2018 6:16 PM

Dec 2017
i would consider remove One Piece out of the list though, One Piece is the sole survivor of former Big 3, to be put on the same list as Boruto, Black Clover, and MHA is kind of insulting, considering One Piece legacy, they deserved a higher title as the only surviving long running shounen

it’s better to form a “new” Shounen Big 3. because all the Big 3 is from Shounen Jump, i will say:

- MHA
- Black Clover
- Boruto

there’s a big difference on power isn’t it. maybe Big 3 is no more i guess. well you can include Shingeki no Kyojin, but that’s different matter
May 13, 2018 6:19 PM

Mar 2015
big 3 concept is for 3 most popular seires who get showed in the same time in western... it still baffle me how dragon ball and saint seiya is never considered part of big 3 or something equivalent out of it simply because they started aired not at the same time as those 3 even technically they still aired when big 3 released...

so the condition for big 3 is already gone... people who still using big 3 is either outdated or try to baiting casual audience...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 13, 2018 6:21 PM

May 2014
Spades said:
>Black Clover

Okay, I'm not an expert on shounen. But. People still watch watch that show?

Both Boruto and Black Clover were pretty bad I thought tbh
I'm still watching it, and it's just as horrible as ever.
May 13, 2018 6:21 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
big 3 concept is for 3 most popular seires who get showed in the same time in western... it still baffle me how dragon ball and saint seiya is never considered part of big 3 or something equivalent out of it simply because they started aired not at the same time as those 3 even technically they still aired when big 3 released...

so the condition for big 3 is already gone... people who still using big 3 is either outdated, uninformed, or try to baiting casual audience...

Dbz is at a different league to the big 3, I can still mention dbz and everyone would know it even none anime fans, mentioning one piece or bleach not so much, Naruto imo comes close.

imo out of the big 3, naruto is more popular worldwide, one piece got the boost because of how popular it is in Japan.
May 13, 2018 6:24 PM

Mar 2018
There IS no Big 3 anymore and never will be.
BNHA, Boruto and Black Clover are far too short compared to OP/Bleach/Naruto and will never be as long as them. Big 3 was the 3 long running shounen airing back in the day. The only reason people want a new one is for hype reasons. But which matters more: Actual quality of a show or a shit ton of fillers and messy content that wasn't adapted correctly from the manga where the manga starts to add in filler-y content and goes on for way longer than it should have just because?
lol
May 13, 2018 6:25 PM
May 2018
If we talking about Shonen Jump's manga, I agree with Crunchyroll
- One Piece
- My Hero Academia
- Black Clover

But there are some big 3's contender in Jump like The Promised Neverland, Haikyuu!, One Punch Man, and Shokugeki No Souma who can change the big 3 anytime

If we talking about shonen in general, there are a lot of popular good manga out of Shonen Jump like Attack of Titan, Nanatsu To Taizai, etc. So if we talking about shonen manga in general, My big 3 are
- One Piece
- Attack On Titan
- My Hero Academia

In this era, there are a lot of shonen manga out there so the big 3 after one piece, naruto, and bleach won't be consistent like those 3
paralon184May 13, 2018 6:30 PM
May 13, 2018 6:26 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

so the condition for big 3 is already gone... people who still using big 3 is either outdated, uninformed, or try to baiting casual audience...

Dbz is at a different league to the big 3, I can still mention dbz and everyone would know it even none anime fans, mentioning one piece or bleach not so much, Naruto imo comes close.

imo out of the big 3, naruto is more popular worldwide, one piece got the boost because of how popular it is in Japan.

well, i don't know much about anime tv ratings in the west, so i can't talk about that, however, it still amazing DB is not considered "big *something*".... showing how big 3 term actually pretty incosistant and rondom...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 13, 2018 6:29 PM
Oct 2013

Christ, it´s that topic again. The Big 3 are gone. Their legacy will be forever there and the term won´t die out anytime soon but stop trying to get your shitty favorite series into that boat. Come up with your own shitty short lived meme that´ll be relevant for half a decade before it gets forgotten by the masses and only kept alive by some schoolyard nerds that want to make their shitty favorite series part of the
Awesome 5 or whatever.

Just be creative and actually find connective tissue between your shitty favorite series, but leave One Piece out of this. It´s outside of everyones ballpark at this point and thematically has nothing in common with modern Shounen. Remember Toriko? That was argued at a time to be made part of the Big 3 too and look where it is now.

Here´s my personal candidate. The Great two. SAO and AOT.

Because they are the most popular "franchises" to come out the past 5 years and consistently stayed up there in popularity. This was enough to qualify Bleach. Go internet make it a thing.
May 13, 2018 6:30 PM

Nov 2012
keragamming said:
Kuma said:

One Piece got an ad on the New York Times newspaper and is the 3rd best selling comic book series next to Superman and Batman in the world.

The era when OP was an unpopular franchise is long gone.
May 13, 2018 6:35 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
keragamming said:

well, i don't know much about anime tv ratings in the west, so i can't talk about that, however, it still amazing DB is not considered "big *something*".... showing how big 3 term actually pretty incosistant and rondom...

Tv ratings? dbz is as popular as pokemon, those series everyone knows them, people that don't even watch anime knows those two.

I could bet a million dollar if you go up to random people, between one peice and dbz, that dbz would win easily.

As I sais before dbz is not in this argument simple because its at pokemon level of popularity.

The only reason people are still mentioning one peice is because the anime is still ongoing and it still sells the most in Japan even though we are talking about in the west.

One piece is #35 when it comes to popularity, hxh came out in 2011 and it has surpass one peice, it just shows that its not getting much new members to watch it, and my guess is because its so damn long.
May 13, 2018 6:36 PM
Oct 2013
SuperRed said:

One Piece got an ad on the New York Times newspaper and is the 3rd best selling comic book series next to Superman and Batman in the world.

The NY times is also a magazine that presses for progressive values 90% of the public are against . Regardless, it´s a retarded argument to make, as it´s a statistical value that takes japan as a demographic into consideration and the above poster said specifically worldwide, which isn´t true either.

Because One Piece had severly more popularity in europe, where we didn´t have the garbage 4kids dub. Mind you, france is the second biggest consumer of Anime and Manga in the world. One Piece was a huge succes there I think still below Naruto but definately higher then Bleach.
IsterioMay 13, 2018 7:07 PM
May 13, 2018 6:43 PM
Aug 2016
Holy shit why the hell do people keep on this shit? the term "Big 3" is reserved ONLY for Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, you can't add or replace them with other series even if it was more popular.

Inukanura said:
considering One Piece legacy, they deserved a higher title as the only surviving long running shounen
"only surviving" you make it sounds like the other 2 got axed or something.
May 13, 2018 6:45 PM

Oct 2013
SuperRed said:
keragamming said:

Most of those sales came from one country, Japan! Plus I've already admitted one piece is the king in terms of manga sales in Japan.

My argument is that most new fans wont get into one piece, so its wrong to put it to be apart of the new big 3,, which I have mention there will never be a new big 3, simple because long running series is basically not a thing anymore, people don't watch cable anymore, we use the internet and we have access to many anime now, and don't have to watch what cable puts on, and many other reason.

May 13, 2018 6:46 PM

Apr 2018
I mean for me, it was always Gintama, FMAB, and Hunter x Hunter but y'all should realize that tastes are different LOL

(and tbh it's probably One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, but even then idk why people are still arguing about this)
May 13, 2018 6:55 PM

Jul 2015
Does it really matter? One Piece is about as trash as an anime could get, and bleach isn't too far behind. #NotMyBig3
May 13, 2018 7:00 PM
Aug 2016
Isterio said:
SuperRed said:

The NY times is also a magazine that presses for progressive values 90% of the public are against . Regardless, it´s a retarded argument to make, as it´s a statistical value that takes japan as a demographic into consideration and the above poster said specifically worldwide, which isn´t true either.

Because One Piece had severely more popularity in europe, where we didn´t have the garbage 4kids dub. Mind France is the second biggest consumer of Anime and Manga in the world. One Piece was a huge succes in.
well, if we exclude manga sales in japan, Naruto sold the most worldwide, surpassing even Dragon ball. One piece is more popular than Naruto in Germany for sure, and that's because the dub there was as atrocious as the 4kids one that killed One Piece in english speaking countries. Naruto along with Dragon ball is still the most sold manga in France, it's true that One piece popularity is progressively increasing over there, but it's still nowhere near the phenomenon that was Naruto in its prime.
kinda related
May 13, 2018 7:10 PM
Oct 2013
ClickBaitBuster said:

well, if we exclude manga sales in japan, Naruto sold the most worldwide, surpassing even Dragon ball. One piece is more popular than Naruto in Germany for sure, and that's because the dub there was as atrocious as the 4kids one that killed One Piece in english speaking countries. Naruto along with Dragon ball is still the most sold manga in France, it's true that One piece popularity is progressively increasing over there, but it's still nowhere near the phenomenon that was Naruto in its prime.
kinda related

Also wrong. Naruto is the best selling Manga in germany. Why do I know that I live there and I´ve read up on the publisher that distributes both Naruto and One Piece over here. The Anime is considered garbage because the dub is, but the topic was about Manga.

As far as Naruto>DBZ goes. Dude a Wikipedia search isn´t hard to do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

As far as germany is concerned Manga sales go somewhat likes this

Dragoball over 7 million tagline: our most popular Manga (unspecified) Naruto tagline: our best selling Manga, (also unspecified)

One Piece 4 million sales tagline: watch out for no2: follow Luffy and his friends on their wacky adventures.

Mind you this info is 5 years old from 2013.

I could elaborate why this probably came to be like this. But it´s a long story. Viz Media and their copyright shenanigans are partially to blame for it and also the italian company panini who did the atrocious Naruto dub.
IsterioMay 13, 2018 7:23 PM
May 13, 2018 7:12 PM
Jun 2016
Detective Conan
Hunter x Hunter
One Piece
May 13, 2018 7:24 PM

Jan 2018
existentialist said:
Does it really matter? One Piece is about as trash as an anime could get, and bleach isn't too far behind. #NotMyBig3

As your opinion is the least favored, least impressionable and the least accepted I may or may not have considered it trivial and unimportant. With all the due respect warranted, fookin' please reconsider and reevaluate your sentiment.
May 13, 2018 7:30 PM
Aug 2016
Isterio said:
ClickBaitBuster said:

kinda related

Also wrong. Naruto is the best selling Manga in germany. Why do I know that I live there and I´ve read up on the publisher that distributes both Naruto and One Piece over here. The Anime is considered garbage because the dub is, but the topic was about Manga.

As far as Naruto>DBZ goes. Dude a Wikipedia search isn´t hard to do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

As far as germany is concerned Manga sales go somewhat likes this

Dragoball over 7 million tagline: our most popular Manga (unspecified) Naruto tagline: our best selling Manga, (also unspecified)

One Piece 6.2 million sales tagline: watch out for no2: follow Luffy and his friends on their wacky adventures.

I could elaborate why this probably came to be like this. But it´s a long story. Viz Media and their copyright shenanigans are partially to blame for it and also the italian company panini who did the atrocious Naruto dub.
I mean.. manga and comic books are popular in France, I don't know about Germany, I feel like the anime's popularity is the only thing matters there, but since you live there then you know better.

Naruto manga sales worldwide excluding japan: 235M minus 140M = 95M
DB manga sales worldwide excluding japan: 240M minus 157M = 83M
May 13, 2018 7:32 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
The big 3 are easily MHA, HxH and Berserk imo.
May 13, 2018 7:34 PM

Nov 2014
AntwanMantilla said:
The big 3 are easily MHA, HxH and Berserk imo.
Cucks Manga isn't worthy. and Deku is a bitch.
May 13, 2018 7:36 PM

Nov 2011
Sigh. There is no "new" Big Three. It uniquely referred to One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, which were far and away the most relevant anime to the entire Western fandom for a long time. There aren't any battle shounen that hold that kind of ongoing relevance to the current fandom. Not Shingeki no Kyojin, not Boku no Hero Academia, and not even One Piece anymore.

I really wish this topic would stop resurrecting. We've beat this dead horse so much that it's turning into a disgusting mush.

tl;dr One Piece is the only of the Big Three left, there likely won't ever be an equivalent to what was the Big Three again, and no battle shounen (One Piece included) is as ongoingly relevant to the Western fandom as the Big Three used to be.
May 13, 2018 7:42 PM

Feb 2015
LMAOOOOOOOO HOW DOES BLACK CLOVER EVEN DESERVE BEING IN THE BIG 3 I'M DNDBNDKSMSBD
May 13, 2018 7:46 PM

Oct 2015
No more, how about we go to our individual lives and watch some good anime, like IdolMaster and Aikatsu.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 13, 2018 7:53 PM

Dec 2016
TripleSRank said:
Sigh. There is no "new" Big Three. It uniquely referred to One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, which were far and away the most relevant anime to the entire Western fandom for a long time. There aren't any battle shounen that hold that kind of ongoing relevance to the current fandom. Not Shingeki no Kyojin, not Boku no Hero Academia, and not even One Piece anymore.

I really wish this topic would stop resurrecting. We've beat this dead horse so much that it's turning into a disgusting mush.

tl;dr One Piece is the only of the Big Three left, there likely won't ever be an equivalent to what was the Big Three again, and no battle shounen (One Piece included) is as ongoingly relevant to the Western fandom as the Big Three used to be.

Pretty much this, I don't know why people keep insisting on what anime are going to use one of those 3 "big" spots now that Naruto and Bleach are gone, thinking that those 3 spots are some kind of disputable, always-existing thrones.

Big 3 was just a way to refer exclusively to the famous trio. It is not an ongoing contest of any kind.

Btw... I don't know why many are talking about the manga sales here...there's another corresponding forum to talk about that. Here we should compare titles only based on anime popularity, not the mangas.
May 13, 2018 8:05 PM

Aug 2010
The big three haven't changed and never will change because it represents not only those anime(Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) but also the time that they were in.

In the mid to late 2000's those were the juggernauts of shounen, and maybe even the anime industry. This was especially true in the west where anime was nowhere close to accessible as it is now. For a multitude of reasons, their popularity slowly died down and with the changes in the anime industry over the years it will be impossible so see something of that magnitude again.
May 13, 2018 8:18 PM

Oct 2008
Dragonball Super
Dragonball Z
Dragonball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

#MakeAnimeGreatAgain

SAY NO MORE LOLI! BRING MORE GENRES EVERY SEASON THAN JUST LOLI
May 13, 2018 8:21 PM

Jul 2015
FreyjaLilith said:
existentialist said:

As your opinion is the least favored, least impressionable and the least accepted I may or may not have considered it trivial and unimportant. With all the due respect warranted, fookin' please reconsider and reevaluate your sentiment.

I'm just sayin when I watch an anime I'm hoping for at least more than 5 mins of new material each episode, and not 15 mins of replaying what previously happened.[/exaggeration]
I understand some people can deal with the excessive recapitulating, its just not my thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 13, 2018 8:21 PM
Nov 2015
With the change to seasonal anime, 'big 3' are kind of an impossible thing now, though I think SNK might have reached their popularity.
May 13, 2018 8:22 PM

Oct 2017
LaLeLuLiLo said:
-one piece
-one piece
- annnd one piece
come back at me when another shounen hits the 300 ep count

i am pretty sure gintama is at 300...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2018 8:28 PM
Oct 2013
ClickBaitBuster said:

I mean.. manga and comic books are popular in France, I don't know about Germany, I feel like the anime's popularity is the only thing matters there, but since you live there then you know better.

Naruto manga sales worldwide excluding japan: 235M minus 140M = 95M
DB manga sales worldwide excluding japan: 240M minus 157M = 83M[

Comic books make out only around 5% of print media in germany, however a huge amount of 90% if I recall correctly (maybe it´s 80 don´t quote me on that) is Manga. While the other 10% are Franco-Belgian comics like smurfs or Asterix and american Superhero comics. The germans don´t write or draw any comic books themselves.

However the largest book convention in the world is held in germany, Frankfurt and the Manga readers attending it keep growing yearly. I´ve read an article about cosplayers scaring away the old people who don´t understand the new trend.
IsterioMay 13, 2018 9:35 PM
May 13, 2018 8:50 PM

Oct 2017
Honestly who even cares any more? The big 3 died when Naruto and Bleach ended, no point in trying to replace them.
May 13, 2018 9:28 PM
Aug 2016
I think we should just leave "The Shounen Big 3" as a legacy, instead of replacing them with "the new generation"
May 13, 2018 9:38 PM

Feb 2018
One piece
Shingeki no Kyojin
My hero academia
May 13, 2018 9:55 PM

Jan 2018
existentialist said:
FreyjaLilith said:

I'm just sayin when I watch an anime I'm hoping for at least more than 5 mins of new material each episode, and not 15 mins of replaying what previously happened.[/exaggeration]
I understand some people can deal with the excessive recapitulating, its just not my thing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, so you're the technical type. I thought we were talking about expansive story line, correlating arcs, massive character individuality with fluid genre shifts as befits of what should be called "legacy shounen" that is our present topic but oh well, I guess we can't all be with taste.
May 13, 2018 9:58 PM
Jan 2018
I don't really think there will be another big 3 shounen anime for a while. One Piece is still the king of shounen, and BNHA doesn't seem like it will be as long. If BNHA tries to get as long as the original big three ot may end up damaging the entire story.
May 13, 2018 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
Reposting my reply from another discussion thread that's, more or less, EXACTLY like this one:

My Hero Academia is DEFINITELY a contender for being one of the new "Big Three" anime with perhaps the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series being close behind?

Of course, one of the old "Big Three" anime, One Piece, hasn't seen a sign of stopping just yet, so...who knows what the third new "Big Three" anime is going to be?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 3 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

104 by billybub »»
4 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

219 by ColourWheel »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot? ( 1 2 )

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

58 by juanlqr »»
5 minutes ago

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 16

40 by Ratris_Decision »»
9 minutes ago

» If you give an anime a 10 do you genuinely think It Is a masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 9

52 by SuperAdventure »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.