Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else find it immensely difficult to concentrate on manga?

New
May 12, 2018 11:55 AM

Mar 2014
I can only read up to 10 pages without getting distracted and needing to stare into space for 10 mins
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2018 1:26 PM

Sep 2017
iiKrina said:
I can only read up to 10 pages without getting distracted and needing to stare into space for 10 mins

Well it's the opposite for me, I get distracted in anime because I find the speach to boring, with mangas I can read at my own pace, skip boring moments.
May 12, 2018 5:58 PM

Nov 2013
maybe you're not reading the right kinda manga? just a quick look on your profile, punpun present in faves. if that's any indication, you are currently reading heavy stuff which can often be a bit slower paced and hard to absorb reading for long periods...

try some different genres and see if you feel different.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 12, 2018 6:35 PM

Mar 2014
Sad said:
maybe you're not reading the right kinda manga? just a quick look on your profile, punpun present in faves. if that's any indication, you are currently reading heavy stuff which can often be a bit slower paced and hard to absorb reading for long periods...

try some different genres and see if you feel different.

I'm not sure.. I do often enjoy what I'm reading, and whether it's chill or a super intense scene, I still have difficulty concentrating. Honestly I think it's because it's black and white. Just doesn't stimulate my generation Z brain enough.
iiKrinaMay 12, 2018 6:38 PM
May 12, 2018 10:31 PM

Feb 2015
omg yes, this is why i quit it two years ago. also the black and white was getting on my nerves with fight scenes, which made me even more glad to move to webtoon.

iiKrina said:

I'm not sure.. I do often enjoy what I'm reading, and whether it's chill or a super intense scene, I still have difficulty concentrating. Honestly I think it's because it's black and white. Just doesn't stimulate my generation Z brain enough.

i'm part of gen z as well^^
May 13, 2018 7:47 AM

Jun 2016
Coming from someone who dearly loves to read, I find it a bit shocking that you can't concentrate when reading manga because it's in black and white. Doesn't that mean you can't read regular books (which don't even have pictures) either without becoming distracted?

It just sounds like the manga that you're reading just isn't your cup of tea. If you find something really interesting to read, I don't think you'll mind it being black and white and/or it not being animated. There are always alternatives such as fully coloured manga, you know.
May 13, 2018 8:33 AM

Oct 2015
Depends, there are manga that I read slowly, not really distracted, just slow. At most, I can read up to 50 chapters, which is basically a whole season, that is with me with Jojo, Vinland Saga and Kouko no Hito.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

May 13, 2018 8:37 AM

May 2017
It is kinda opposite for me.,it has often faster story pacing and it is easier for me to stay concentrated,while in anime sometimes i lose focus due to dragged speech or some unnecessaryy scenes.
May 13, 2018 8:38 AM
Oct 2015
iiKrina said:

When you are feeling free and your head is empty go ahead and read one chapter. Thats all man wtf.
May 13, 2018 11:47 AM

Mar 2014
iMysteriousAura said:
Coming from someone who dearly loves to read, I find it a bit shocking that you can't concentrate when reading manga because it's in black and white. Doesn't that mean you can't read regular books (which don't even have pictures) either without becoming distracted?

It just sounds like the manga that you're reading just isn't your cup of tea. If you find something really interesting to read, I don't think you'll mind it being black and white and/or it not being animated. There are always alternatives such as fully coloured manga, you know.

I don't 'mind' per se. I can't really help it. Lots of people are the same nowadays. There's so much overstimulating stuff available to people now, so people find reading more difficult. Like I said before, I really enjoy the manga I read, my mind just wanders and I have to stop often.
May 13, 2018 11:48 AM

Mar 2014
orkuncan said:
iiKrina said:

When you are feeling free and your head is empty go ahead and read one chapter. Thats all man wtf.

My head is never empty so that may be why lol
May 13, 2018 11:51 AM

May 2018
i don't have that problem, i today i read like 70 chapters of vagabond lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2018 11:51 AM

May 2018
i actually prefer manga to anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2018 12:16 PM
Oct 2015
iiKrina said:
orkuncan said:

My head is never empty so that may be why lol

Oh well i mean of course. This can go deeper but i will only say if you enjoy reading that much then with doing hobby itself you should feel relaxed and comfortable. Δ°f still you cant then go settle what you are doing and at least settle your life better, like i said man this can go deeper. Δ° have those times too, i try to watch anime or read manga to chill but i get distracted way too easy. So at least i make things clearer for myself. Not only for reading manga though, so i try having a plan for troublesome things. Or maybe you are bored of whole reading manga and watching anime thingy. Go try something else different or try another genres. For instance, lately i have been following F1 races. Doubt if i will have an interest as much as i do with video games and movies.

Oh ye actually, WC '18 is close. That is a good option to distract yourself if you are not watching football games non stop :D

Have a nice day
May 18, 2018 1:41 PM

Sep 2015
I have the same 'problem' too. And no it's not because I don't enjoy the story or something, it's just that I get really tired after reading 10 chapters or so, while I can binge-watch an entire 12 episode anime in one day without feeling tired. I never liked reading so maybe that's why. I only read manga if the story of the anime really interested me.
May 18, 2018 5:41 PM

Aug 2017
i think you have concentration issues if you can't read past 10 pages of any manga even ones that you enjoy. it sounds so unrealistic what your problem is. either you should go and see a doctor and do something about these concentration problems or you are just trolling.
May 19, 2018 3:58 PM

Apr 2014
i can kinda relate. i took up the promised neverland and it has been great so far partly because of the 20 page chapters
May 19, 2018 6:21 PM

Mar 2014
RedPlaty said:
i can kinda relate. i took up the promised neverland and it has been great so far partly because of the 20 page chapters

I just checked out neverland and it looks really interesting, thank you for mentioning it! ;o
Yeah, I find that long chapters give me more difficulty. I think my main problem is my short attention span, so short chapters are much better for me (and many others I would think). :p
May 19, 2018 6:22 PM

Mar 2014
abk1997 said:
i think you have concentration issues if you can't read past 10 pages of any manga even ones that you enjoy. it sounds so unrealistic what your problem is. either you should go and see a doctor and do something about these concentration problems or you are just trolling.

It's not a medical problem, just a short attention span
May 21, 2018 6:43 AM

Aug 2012
Sound like the medium is not for you then. I prefer reading manga as I can easily get back to it and read at my own pace
May 21, 2018 10:57 AM
Jan 2013
same but with anime
gone bai bai
May 21, 2018 11:35 AM
Oct 2014
To each their own I guess. I can concentrate on both.
May 21, 2018 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
due to childhood complications it takes me a bit and I have to read it alone, but otherwise I struggle but get it read. but I know what you mean, due to being easily distracted that happens even when I'm reading a book or replying to a post, etc. yay for wondering minds?
May 21, 2018 9:13 PM

Jun 2014
I'm new to Manga, but I don't find it that difficult to concentrate on it. I'm enjoying Manga more than I thought I would.

Aug 16, 2018 4:26 PM

Jul 2017
AestheticRebell said:
i don't have that problem, i today i read like 70 chapters of vagabond lol

haha but watch out not to read to fast. when I was reading vagabond the most I read in 1 day was 6 hours straight, dunno how many chatper though 40 or 50.
Aug 16, 2018 7:13 PM

Apr 2018
I only find it hard to get immerse on the manga when the manga isn't interesting in the first place.
Aug 16, 2018 7:29 PM

May 2016
not rly. if it interests me enough i can read up to 200-300 pages within like two hours

ο½‘β‹†ο½‘Λšβ˜½Λšο½‘β‹†ο½‘

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

ζœˆε…‰
Aug 16, 2018 9:33 PM

Aug 2017
I find manga faster than anime, honestly. Sometimes I fall asleep in the middle, but that goes for both anime and manga
-insert wise old moosy adage-
Aug 16, 2018 9:38 PM
Jan 2013
I find it immensely hard to concentrate on anime
gone bai bai
Aug 16, 2018 11:14 PM

Sep 2011
There were times I'm getting distracted for some unknown reasons. If I get distracted, what I do is browse other sites such as MAL. Well, in most cases, I can still be able to concentrate on reading my manga.

Aug 16, 2018 11:58 PM

Mar 2015
I have that too with most Manga. That's why I prefer VN's. Easier to immerse myself thanks to the music/voices.
Aug 17, 2018 12:36 AM

May 2015
I don't have this issue. The issue I have is keeping up with manga in general. Like, I'll start reading a few series, maybe even get caught up with a couple or finish one, but after like a month or two, I just stop. And I don't know why. I don't dislike manga, even though I enjoy anime more. One of my favorite experiences in any medium of entertainment was reading Punpun. I think it's really just me being a lazy procrastinating fuck.

Aug 17, 2018 7:44 PM

May 2010
iiKrina said:

No. I got into anime because books were expensive where I live and anime was free on TV (and had plots different from live-action shows). Manga is for a bookworm like me.

However, I can't read a manga like some people do - they notice the artwork details, how smooth the lines are, the tone-work, inking, the backgrounds, etc. I read primarily for dialogue, plot/story and whether the art can enhance that.
Jul 27, 2019 2:14 PM
Jul 2019
Yes, I find it difficult to read manga online but I can read books that I can hold in the real life world, Also I can read webtoons and comics and stuff online and don't get bored, I don't know if reading it out of a real book that I can hold will make it better or what,

Mabye it's just because I have a really short attention span.
Jul 31, 2019 5:29 AM

Jul 2011
No not really I'm used to reading all kind of things but if I had one problem with reading manga then it'd be the sometimes unreadable font.

Jul 31, 2019 6:19 AM
May 2019
No I don't have any problem with reading manga, especially if it's something that I find interesting.
Jul 31, 2019 7:12 AM
Jul 2018
It all depends on my actual focus and frame of mind at the time of doing so, which varies on a daily basis ^_^
Jul 31, 2019 7:28 AM

Jan 2018
I listen music according to the type of manga I'm reading. It helps me to focus.
Jul 31, 2019 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
If there's a lot of dialogue or boxes in a page I become less focused but that's mostly do to me trying to read at night when I'm tired.
Aug 5, 2019 5:21 PM

Aug 2018
I'm the opposite. I often get bored or distracted watching anime. Maybe it's because a lot of manga I like don't get adapted but I think a majority of it is pacing and stiff animation. Because of obvious budget constraints, most anime don't have the characters moving much, just the eyes or mouth. Not really an issue but I think the lack of movement makes my mind wander.

Which is super weird since manga has zero movement. It might be because I create the movement within my own head. I have total control over pacing in manga which definitely helps. I'm also just a fan of the more detailed artwork in manga. I'm also in the Gen Z crowd so I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Aug 6, 2019 1:29 PM

Jun 2019
Yeah, sometimes. I tend to gravitate towards manga thay have a full color version. Otherwise, most manga I read are just endings that anime didn't cover.

Aug 6, 2019 2:18 PM

Oct 2017
Because they're black and white? They're the ones that I actually enjoy being invested into. It makes them feel more traditional and less like just an anime printed on some paper. You then see and take it in as new and refreshing.
Aug 6, 2019 7:17 PM
Jul 2019
I have the same issue from time to time, what I find really helps is I try different genres until something catches my interest.
Aug 6, 2019 7:47 PM

Mar 2012
Black ink on paper doesn't offer sufficient stimuli when you're used to smart phones, social media and on-demand TV. Our brains are being rewired.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 6, 2019 8:01 PM

Dec 2012
same, but instead of manga, its with everything i do tbh
Aug 6, 2019 8:45 PM

Feb 2017
Yup, I have this problem too. I feel like I'm just bad at reading in general though lol. It's kind of a shame because I used to read a lot as a kid and loved it but my ability to focus has taken a pretty big hit in the last few years for some reason. But I have been trying to get into manga again recently and I've been enjoying all of the series I'm currently reading but I do have to take breaks decently often.

But it kinda depends on series to series for me. Like a series called Koko wa Ima kara Rinri desu isn't too bad for me, I can read a couple of chapters in a row with no issue focusing, but for a series like One Piece I zone out a lot more. Which is kind of weird because One Piece has a much simpler writing style and I would say that I enjoy both series about the same, probably even enjoying One Piece more tbh. But I find myself rereading the same lines in One Piece over and over again. Maybe we both got some weird brand of Gen-Z ADHD lol.
Aug 6, 2019 11:14 PM
Aug 2008
Not really, I find it easy to concentrate on the manga that I am reading. Now, I may only read ten pages then go onto something else, but that's not because "oh man, I can't concentrate" but rather, a "oh crap! I need to get my clothes from the laundry" or something. I sometimes can easily read 50 pages in a single sitting and still feel like I haven't read enough.

There's also been times where like I feel like I'm just forcing myself to read a manga, so therefore I just drop it and move onto something better, such as Trigun. I know a lot of people loved this one, but not only did I feel like I was forcing myself to read it, but I also got to the point where I felt like I was actively avoiding reading it, so I just dropped it and moved on with my manga reading life. I'm not gonna read something I'm forcing myself to read.

I think I'm more likely to watch shows and anime in little spurts. I may enjoy the story and art, but since I tend to like still drawn art more than animation art, I'm more likely to stick to a manga than an anime.
Aug 7, 2019 9:56 AM

Feb 2017
Even thou I really love reading mangas, I have trouble with it as well. My mind needs to focus on every single detail of the drawings and imagine the movements and it always ends up of me getting completely worn out after one chapter.
Aug 7, 2019 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
That's how it was some six or so years ago for me when I first started picking up manga-reading as another hobby. I'd barely be able to finish a single Chapter without feeling like I had to stop. Somewhere along the road though I started to develop more perseverance while reading through manga, to the point where I can now read 2-3 volumes in one sitting. I actually don't know how I went from only being able to read one Chapter to three or so volumes though? Seems like quite a massive increase considering how few manga I've actually read. (It would also depend on the manga, too, and how I'm reading it - physical copy vs kindle.)
Aug 17, 2019 1:19 PM

Sep 2015
Try reading manga you are actually interested in. Maybe the premise catches your interest, but if you can't read 10 pages without taking a break, it clearly underperforms on the execution.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
3 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
4 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
5 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
5 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.