Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 10, 2018 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, Joe gets his mouthguard knocked out in the fight.

However, the guy doesn't back off and continues to display his determination in the ring. Tons of action this episode with the pacing and I am still quite impressed by the amount of talent that Joe has showed.

May 10, 2018 11:33 AM

Mar 2018
"Next Round 7: The Road To Death''

Well this is going to be interesting.
May 10, 2018 11:47 AM

Mar 2013
the first half was a little slow with joe mostly getting his ass kicked but the second half was intense with joe and aragaki beating the crap out of each other. It sucks that aragaki had to forfeit, I really wanted to see who would win.
May 10, 2018 11:54 AM

Jul 2016
Such a simple series, yet so touching.
Every episode leaves me with a lump in the throat
May 10, 2018 12:05 PM

Jun 2015
That was an amazing fight. I'm glad on how it ended, with Joe not randomly knocking him out with one punch. This show completely nailed Aragaki's backstory and his interaction with his former coach after the fight so beautifully. I'm satisfied with the closure.
May 10, 2018 12:08 PM

May 2016
All votes are 5/5 this is the first time I see this, well it deserved it.
Great fight great chachters how can that not be lit?!!
May 10, 2018 12:09 PM

Nov 2016
This is what I call a masterpiece in the making.

The fight got me really riled up and it didn't took much,just two determinded guys slugging it out. Satisfied with how the match played out and even felt a bit moved ,but that was nothing compared to what came afterwards. The concluding conversation between Aragaki and Nanbu was the shit.Not gonna lie, almost shed some manly tears there. Most emotional episode this season for me and I'm so hyped for what's going to come next.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 10, 2018 12:10 PM

Nov 2016
Damn.. this battle had some good action. Joe suffered great damage in the beginning.

The use of flasbacks in the scenes was well made, adding more development to Aragaki. Joe's determination to continue the match was scary. In the end he got the advantage with some mind games. Such a nice thrilling match!

The reunion of the Coach and his student had a nice touch and emotional. Aragaki can now move on. The ticket really was a lucky charm.
NoloranMay 10, 2018 12:14 PM
May 10, 2018 12:13 PM

Feb 2013
Aragaki did great considering the state of his leg.
It was a great fight.
May 10, 2018 12:17 PM

Jul 2017
THAT WAS INCREDIBLE.

Jesus what an awesome bloodbath that was. This show needed a fight like this and boy it delivered.

It felt like a proper boxing bout with the match starting slow and the tactics used by Joe was great.

The moment with Coach Nanbu and Aragaki was really bittersweet.

Excited to see Megalonia take place now. This show has truly been fantastic for its first 6 episodes.
May 10, 2018 12:20 PM

Nov 2017
FallenEntity said:
the first half was a little slow with joe mostly getting his ass kicked but the second half was intense with joe and aragaki beating the crap out of each other. It sucks that aragaki had to forfeit, I really wanted to see who would win.

I agree, some punches felt like they weighted nothing. And the end of the fight is kinda anti-climatic. Yet it is a good episode with good character development.
Also, I hope Gearless Joe will soon stop being gearless. I mean, if someone without an exosqueleton can win every fight, what is the point of using it and creating a sport based on that?
May 10, 2018 12:35 PM

Aug 2014
easily becoming my favorite sports anime

ost, fight scenes, characters, visuals, everything is done so well i can't help it but love it more on more each episode
May 10, 2018 12:53 PM
Apr 2015
Anime fight of the season so far. That panning shot was so impressive.

I'm glad they spent the previous episode building up this fight. It made this fight have so much more impact.
May 10, 2018 12:55 PM
Mar 2018
That episode was amazing. I'm at a loss for words especially when is came to the ticket part.
May 10, 2018 1:27 PM
Feb 2016
I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I feel no real weight or impact behind the punches. idk, something feels off
May 10, 2018 1:31 PM

Aug 2013
Not really a fan of yet another protagonist with high durability. His fighting in underground doesn't explain it either. Aragaki has been boxing for years and definitely taken heavier beatings from top boxers, while Joe was fighting with 2nd-rated boxers underground with 2nd-rated gears. It simply doesn't make sense Joe and Aragaki could fight blows for blows at the end, especially when Aragaki has a gear and Joe got injured badly from previous rounds. Unless you want to defend it with Aragaki's punches are weaker towards the end due to his legs.

From the looks of it, Aragaki is probably giving Joe his old gear. Wonder would Joe change his title since he wouldn't be "gearless" anymore.
May 10, 2018 1:37 PM

Oct 2015
i was jumping and trying to throw punches like kid while i was watching the episode.
May 10, 2018 1:44 PM

Dec 2017
that toe-to-toe fighting was spectacular. and a bit of drama added this spice to it, that ticket moment

this show just gets me more and more invested in it
May 10, 2018 1:52 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Sugoii! That fight was breathtaking stuff. loving this show. Sleeper hit of the season.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 10, 2018 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
"For me... Tomorrow starts today. I've come this far on these legs... That's... enough, isn't it, coach Nanbu?"

Such a satisfing conclusion for Aragaki's character! I'm so glad that in the end what he was searching for wasn't revenge, but closure, not only with Nanbu, but to also leave boxing behind. After all he went through he was still able to stand by himself on the ring and to go as far as he went. He gave his all, his tomorrow is finally here, he's moving on. Joe was also satisfied as he smiled at the end.

And then Yuuri finally realized that he's coming for him, on his ring. Can't wait for what's to come!
FayrinMay 10, 2018 4:39 PM
May 10, 2018 2:02 PM

Sep 2016
fights in this anime is absolutely awful wow everything is just random punch. really boring.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 10, 2018 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
The final part of the fight was so epic, how great the music is also added to that.

Quite some strong feels in the second half of the episode, this is heading to be amazing.
May 10, 2018 2:32 PM

Aug 2014
they did a great job with aragaki

fuck me
May 10, 2018 2:51 PM

Jan 2018
This boxing got heated.
But I prefer Joe using gear tbh. Cuz gear make him more OP.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
May 10, 2018 3:01 PM

Jul 2017
Alright... this episode elevated this series to another level. Aragaki & the coach’s character development, the fight choreography and the music was perfect!
May 10, 2018 3:06 PM

May 2015
Perhaps the best episode since the beginning for me. The fight is easily the best we've seen since the beginning even though I think they can do even better ; I liked the moment when the camera turns around the fighters and also the various freeze frames. Aragaki has really been an excellent character until the end, the scene after the fight was really moving with Nanbu, it's these moments that make an anime great ; The message of this episode for Aragaki is really positive and it's not something that we often see in anime. And a really interesting end of episode with the third Megalonia's boxer unveiled, probably the big oaf of the anime that we will see soon ^^ And then a last character who seems not to appreciate Joe because of its social origin, I think it will be Joe's next opponent but I'm not sure ; I will also say that this character also has maybe a connection with Sachio but nothing is sure, after the devellopement of Nanbu I will not be surprised if Sachio would be now entitled to his "arc" himself. For me the Megalonia will happen like this : Burroughs then Pepe Iglesias then Yuuri, I can't wait to check if my theories are right !
May 10, 2018 3:07 PM

Jan 2009
welp win or lose its the final fight of Aragaki anyway since his legs is gonna get permanently injured if he goes on

congrats to Joe

this anime will be more enjoyable if there is sakuga animation on the fight scenes at least
May 10, 2018 3:10 PM

Dec 2017
That was a really good fight. If the show keeps going at the rate that it is going, I bet it will be anime of the year. I like what I've seen so far.
May 10, 2018 3:26 PM

Jun 2013
I still don't like how they can't make things right, The fights felt predictable, The drama part felt too rushed, It went downhill when joe suddently recovered from the punch. I lost all interest after that
May 10, 2018 3:34 PM
Dec 2017
Well, I thought that Joe standing up after the last episode would be BS and expected him to lose, but I'm actually surprised how good they handled it. It's really hard to make a comeback seem realistic and deserved, but they did it perfectely. I love how Joe actually helped Aragaki move on and leave the past behind him.
May 10, 2018 3:48 PM

May 2013
So far best fight in the series, I like how they add on Fight of the Tomorrow as that brings back alot of good memories. Arageki as a character was nice to see and looks like thanks to Joe he as finally to move on. I was surprise how the fight turn out I thought their was no way Joe was going to pull a win, but he manage somehow, however I wish he actually KO him. Also that final shot when they were about to punch each other, i wish that hit so it become a cross counter, because I want Joe to end off a fight with the cross counter before this series end. Overall curious who going to be third fighter who going to be selected and so far Sachinko has been more important than any of the kids in Ashita no Joe.
May 10, 2018 3:53 PM

Apr 2015
My god,that circling shot around Joe and Aragaki...just beautiful.
About the fight: it felt like first actual challenge for Joe,curious to see what Mikio is up to.
"You are the leaves bathing in the sun, I am the roots that grow in the dark."
May 10, 2018 4:05 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
The fight was good, especially during the last round!

Aragaki forfeited for the sake of his legs & It's nice seeing that he finally wants to move on, deciding to forgive Nabu as well as himself!

I'm guessing Joe's next opponent will be Mikio!
Can't wait for the next match ~

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
May 10, 2018 4:18 PM

Nov 2015

This anime makes me want to get back into making GIFs regularly, wew. Loved the ep! I love the little smirks Joe has on his face while fighting, even when getting beaten to a pulp. That last round between him and Aragaki was fantastic~
May 10, 2018 4:27 PM

May 2015
Undoubtedly an amazing episode and best episode so far, loved every second of it.

May 10, 2018 4:46 PM
Apr 2017
Aragaki and Nanbu were not the only one who cried. Great episode, just like rest of them.
May 10, 2018 5:30 PM

Dec 2012
I like the fact that Aragaki hasn't chosen this fight to get revenge, but rather for closure to his Megalo Boxing career.
May 10, 2018 6:38 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great episode. Joe wins the match as his opponent eventually has to forfeit. It's only gonna get harder with each win.
May 10, 2018 7:19 PM
Jun 2017
much feels i just cant take it
altho hate the way that this adaptation show his demeanor or perhaps just a well-written zestfully protagonist
AawwuuiiMay 10, 2018 7:36 PM
May 10, 2018 7:40 PM
Mar 2018
VanishingKira said:

Second half of the fight when they were beating the shit out of each other was intense,too bad it ended in a forfeit.

Honestly better than real boxing. The camera angles and the exchange of fists really sold the match.
May 10, 2018 8:06 PM

Dec 2015
That artificial legs , must hurt a lot damn .
May 10, 2018 8:07 PM

Dec 2013
The match was handled extremely well.

Some nice feels afterwards.
May 10, 2018 9:03 PM

Mar 2013
the fight was awesome, but I"m just baffled as how the OP can be so GOOD! it gets me pumped everytime! actually the whole OST does!!
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
May 10, 2018 9:06 PM

Jun 2014
GangsterCat said:
fights in this anime is absolutely awful wow everything is just random punch. really boring.

... I mean it's boxing, what do you expect, MHA super hero fights? It's about emotion not the fights itself, try looking deeper.
May 10, 2018 9:32 PM

Aug 2017
Man that was epic.

So fucking manly.
I used to be a watchmaker.
May 10, 2018 9:57 PM

Dec 2015
That was a pretty emotional episode. I'm really hyped for what's next.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 10, 2018 10:17 PM
Dec 2017
There's something to be said about the way they both smiled at the corner of their face while in the ring.

It was showed a bit in the last episode but the mutual respect boxers have for one another while fight is really something and this Ep showed it really well in my opinion

Made the forfeit more bearable and good form of closure for Aragaki and his PTSD when he and Nanbu mutually agree to move on.

Can't wait too see more and the way this anime handles other characters backstories.
May 10, 2018 10:36 PM

Apr 2018
Glad to see Nanu and Aragaki make up after everything. It's awesome to see Joe develop and grow from these fights as well. I can't wait to see how he will handle the top guys, do you guys think he will continue to go gearless until the end?
May 11, 2018 12:06 AM

Sep 2016
Hnnngggghh the osts are so good... Anyone have any idea if they're gonna release an album featuring the osts or not?
May 11, 2018 12:53 AM
Mar 2018
AWESOME!!! The fight scenes were amazing. The counters, the jabs and the straights all hit their marks bull's eye!!! Although it didn't seem that both Aragaki and Joe were putting much power to their punches but the impacts were great enough to down the other. So we can forget even if the punches weren't powerful enough considering Joe's previous fights. This bout was an all emotional bout. Especially for coach Nanbu. Two of his great creations squaring off against one another!! He had 2nd thoughts should he go back to his nostalgic past or remain in the present. Even it was emotional for Aragaki to let off all the steam of confusion he had built up since his injuries; his grief, sorrow, anger, hatred, rage, pain. The episode was best so far emotionally. It had an emotional backdrop to it from the previous episode and a backlash for coach Nanbu to deal with. Finally it was 'Gearless' Joe in the end who was victorious. But this episode was emotionally strong and by far the better episode in terms of emotion!!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.