Forum Settings
Forums

The reviews here are so hilariously cringeworthy.

New
May 8, 2018 7:34 PM

Aug 2013
Especially when they start with some laughably bad high school English 1a thesis like:

"Love. It's something we all feel, but what happens when a platonic friendship turns into something more? Zero wa/select X girl boku no go attempts to shed light on what it means to laugh, love and live."

My cheeks actually flush like an anime schoolgirl reading that shit. How about you guys?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 8, 2018 7:48 PM

Mar 2018
My favorite is where they do like the exact formats taught in English class as if they're writing a paper, in the outline format that's often taught and then they do all of the things English teachers hate. Using 1st person, using "that," passive voice,etc
May 8, 2018 7:51 PM

Aug 2013
Bfolls said:
Using 1st person, using "that," passive voice,etc

Yeah. I mean it should all be first person with a passive voice etc. It's your review, just be yourself.
May 8, 2018 7:58 PM

Mar 2018
wolfslice said:
Bfolls said:
Using 1st person, using "that," passive voice,etc

Yeah. I mean it should all be first person with a passive voice etc. It's your review, just be yourself.

I actually agree. I was pointing out the dichotomy of trying to make it an english paper and then not writing in a way fit for an English paper. My point was more "stop trying to make it an English paper" than "your writing is unprofessional"
May 8, 2018 7:58 PM
Sep 2017
wolfslice said:
Especially when they start with some laughably bad high school English 1a thesis like:

"Love. It's something we all feel, but what happens when a platonic friendship turns into something more? Zero wa/select X girl boku no go attempts to shed light on what it means to laugh, love and live."

My cheeks actually flush like an anime schoolgirl reading that shit. How about you guys?
Put a link to one of those reviews you speak of i wanna have a laugh too bro.
May 8, 2018 8:00 PM

Apr 2013
wolfslice said:
Same. So many reviewers here are so full of it. I don't mind feeling like an anime schoolgirl though.
May 8, 2018 8:02 PM

Aug 2013
Reypablo1998 said:
Put a link to one of those reviews you speak of i wanna have a laugh too bro.

I don't want to call anyone out specifically, but they are not hard to find. Look for any anime considered even remotely sentimental to find the worst of it ;p
May 8, 2018 8:10 PM
Mar 2017
And I thought that people writting a review for a 25 episode show after just watching 3 episodes was already shit.
May 8, 2018 8:14 PM

Dec 2008
Anybody writing a long pedantic review that goes on for 10 pages. Shit people-it's a damn anime review, not a doctorial thesis
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 8, 2018 9:53 PM

Nov 2014
Agreed, but they're not as 'cringeworthy' as the Anime Discussion forum threads
May 8, 2018 10:43 PM

Oct 2015
They are hilarious and entertaining in their own way, so I want to see more of it
t b h

๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ซ๐”ž ๐”ฑ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐” ๐”ฅ ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ,
๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ฑ๐”ฆ๐”ซ' ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ ๐”ด๐”ฆ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ช๐”ถ ๐”ช๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ

May 9, 2018 12:19 AM

Feb 2015
I'm waiting if you can do better than that OP, I'm here waiting but seriously, kinda sucks waiting forever isn't it OP?

May 9, 2018 12:24 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Oh no, someone wrote a review that's not to my liking. Quickly, let's make a thread about it.

I know it might sound stupid but maybe, just maybe you should stop reading them if they bug you so much? Worked for me
May 9, 2018 7:12 PM

Aug 2013
_Ako_ said:
I'm waiting if you can do better than that OP, I'm here waiting but seriously, kinda sucks waiting forever isn't it OP?

sorry, I'm not following. Come again?
May 9, 2018 7:14 PM
May 2017
Why do people even read reviews? Unless it's a really obscure anime that few people know about, what's the point in writing a review?
May 9, 2018 7:39 PM

Feb 2015
wolfslice said:
_Ako_ said:

sorry, I'm not following. Come again?

Ohhh I mean if you can write better review thus making a better bait thread than this.
May 9, 2018 7:45 PM

Oct 2017
You gotta hook in a reader,what better way to do it then that?
May 9, 2018 7:48 PM

Aug 2013
_Ako_ said:

Ohhh I mean if you can write better review thus making a better bait thread than this.

Oh ok I can do that.

Here's another review introduction MAL style:

What does it mean to die? We all face death in some way or another. Everyone who has lived long enough has seen family, friends, pets, or other dear loved ones pass away. In that moment you are given a choice-- Do you hold the cherished memories in your heart forever? Or, perhaps, do you try and forget them and possibly lose a little of your own soul at the same time?

This is the question that Yigimi Sontomi struggles with in 6 Pic Z no wa fate/ 3-no LOVE-ru go zero!! Part 2.
May 9, 2018 7:50 PM
Apr 2018
I usually don't laugh like a school girl when I'm cringing but that's cool.
May 9, 2018 7:53 PM

Aug 2017
Well, a whole lot of people here are probably in high school so that comes as no surprise. They might not be well written but if they make sense I don't see the problem.

Bfolls said:
My favorite is where they do like the exact formats taught in English class as if they're writing a paper, in the outline format that's often taught and then they do all of the things English teachers hate. Using 1st person, using "that," passive voice,etc

What's the problem with using "that"? Not a native speaker so I'd like to know.
Pincushions. I'm a long time threatening to buy one. Sticking them all over the place. Needles in window curtains.
May 9, 2018 7:57 PM

Aug 2013
eldritch said:

What's the problem with using "that"? Not a native speaker so I'd like to know.

There really isn't a problem with it. High school teachers are just preemptively trying to stop you from making some basic mistakes regarding the subject of a sentence. It's easy to use "that" without really indicating what you're talking about.

But once you have some mastery of the written form (which high school students do not), you can easily use "that" wherever and whenever you would like, there's no hard and fast rule about it.
May 9, 2018 8:01 PM

Apr 2018
Yeah, people think they sound smart when they write their reviews like they would with an English thesis, when in reality high school students who did well in AP/IB English classes could write just as well, if not better.
Like someone earlier pointed out, you don't see high school students use passive voice nor 1st-person in literary analysis.
So really, if you think about it, they're showing off a skill that a lot of people already have (and fucking up while they're doing it) lol
Imperio_nMay 9, 2018 8:07 PM
May 9, 2018 8:22 PM

Aug 2015
Eh, I don’t find reviews like that cringeworthy. It sounds cheesy and amateurish, sure, but everyone has their own way of reviewing and some prefer to take the descriptive approach over analytical, as if they’re selling the show, even though the writing itself may be simple and unimpressive.

One thing that always turns me off reading a review is a long-winded introduction about the fanbase or reputation. You see this all the time in seasonal reviews, about how the anime is overrated/underrated, how it doesn’t deserve the praise it receives, how the fanbase will send them hate for writing a negative review, shit along those lines.
May 9, 2018 8:23 PM

Dec 2014
b-but my review.thanks for clicking 'helpful' in advance!!!! :)
May 9, 2018 8:26 PM

Nov 2017
Honest bro all these reviews have like English 1 thesis's and are all like 20 pages long. bro I'm just finna read whether or not I should watch a cartoon not whether or not dying is a sad thing
May 9, 2018 8:30 PM

Mar 2017
I have no fucking clue what this thread is trying to achieve or why is it still alive.

"Old man yells at cloud."

There. Summarized. Done.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
May 9, 2018 8:32 PM

Apr 2017
because with no excuse, it would be a trash review to just start with the analysis already. wasnt introduction taught in school? theres no way people are gonna read til the end if from the start they begun it with a no-hook paragraph. maybe how they constructed it is a bit cringe-worthy but if thats for a romance (?) you cant really blame them.

plus another thought that doesnt really have to do with this, the review criticize the anime meanwhile poeple criticize reviews, i dont agree with that personally. reviews are supposed to give you insights of key variables on what the others felt watching the anime. but right now its getting the wrong purpose of "if we didnt feel the same way with the anime, meaning i dont agree with your review, its trash" its stupid

youre on your 30s dont you think you have something better to do than shitting on half your age's learning route?

still life: pink roses
May 9, 2018 8:33 PM

Aug 2013
thefreeloader said:
b-but my review.thanks for clicking 'helpful' in advance!!!! :)

I did click helpful. That introduction is centered around what the show means to you, rather than some laughable generalization about life-- so in that way it's perfect.

That said, the intro is less perfect in the way that it's a very long run on sentence, with kind of a strange structure (being _____, having watched ____ is like 2 prefaces in the same sentence. But the content is what really counts and you nailed what the show actually means to you.

The intro in question:
"Being a big fan of cooking though I myself haven't been able to cook anything edible so far, having watched Shokugeki no Soma awakened an urge within me to pursue the path of a chef and while the previous statement was obviously a joke, it was not entirely unfeasible given I just have to work hard and give all my best which was what this show instilled upon my maiden heart and truly, it was a lesson that I take into heart. "
May 9, 2018 8:34 PM

Oct 2015
Am I the only one who doesn't read any MAL reviews, and just watches stuff that looks interesting to me?
May 9, 2018 8:37 PM

Aug 2013
sunako199 said:
because with no excuse, it would be a trash review to just start with the analysis already. wasnt introduction taught in school? theres no way people are gonna read til the end if from the start they begun it with a no-hook paragraph. maybe how they constructed it is a bit cringe-worthy but if thats for a romance (?) you cant really blame them.

plus another thought that doesnt really have to do with this, the review criticize the anime meanwhile poeple criticize reviews, i dont agree with that personally. reviews are supposed to give you insights of key variables on what the others felt watching the anime. but right now its getting the wrong purpose of "if we didnt feel the same way with the anime, meaning i dont agree with your review, its trash" its stupid

youre on your 30s dont you think you have something better to do than shitting on half your age's learning route?

Cringe is cringe yo, and it's fun to call it out. Something better to do? I dunno, I'm making a pumpkin pie atm, it's almost out of the oven and then I'm gonna relax and play some video games.

Anyway, I declined earlier in the thread to shit on anyone specifically. I'm talking about a trend in reviews that others here have noticed as well. I completely disagree with what you consider a "trash review." It can start with analysis. It can start with something personal. It can even start with an extremely lame general anecdote-- but then someone like me might make a thread about it.

Alright pie's out and coolin'.
May 9, 2018 8:40 PM

Jul 2013
Inb4 this bait thread is inevitably deleted.

โ•ฎ (. โ› แด— โ›.) โ•ญ

May 9, 2018 8:45 PM

Jul 2017
sunako199 said:

I think reviews should be more based on both positive and negative aspects of the show accommodated by the reviewer's opinion. Unfortunately, half the reviews on almost every show are mainly just people bashing/overly praising the anime and getting circlejerked with 'helpful' votes
May 9, 2018 8:49 PM

Apr 2017
Fuchsia said:
Inb4 this bait thread is inevitably deleted.
no mod is online thats why

Short_Circut said:
sunako199 said:

I think reviews should be more based on both positive and negative aspects of the show accommodated by the reviewer's opinion. Unfortunately, half the reviews on almost every show are mainly just people bashing/overly praising the anime and getting circlejerked with 'helpful' votes
but i didnt really mention that those written should only be one-sided (which is you only chose one, either just positive or negative). but youre right, whats happening in the mostly of the current reviews are one-sided meals

still life: pink roses
May 9, 2018 9:00 PM

Oct 2008
I find it quite hilarious at the thought of someone making fun of reviews for anime/manga site where English may not be the primary language of it's user.

As long as the reviews portray a short summary and the serious emotions of the reviewer I see no reason to discriminate against them.

I dunno, I just think there are better ways of spending your time rather than reading reviews (which you obviously don't like doing) and making fun of them.

I don't see a reason to use that college-uni level report quality stress into a fucking review that's there to simply ADVICE on other people if they going to enjoy whatever the title may be.
Cro_pcMay 9, 2018 9:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

#MakeAnimeGreatAgain

SAY NO MORE LOLI! BRING MORE GENRES EVERY SEASON THAN JUST LOLI
May 10, 2018 12:44 PM

May 2016
This is why I almost never read reviews.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
May 12, 2018 9:02 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Thread cleaned and locked.

This thread only promotes bashing on reviews based on the way they're written as the OP described. Even though there was at least an effort to not name and shame, this thread is going nowhere good.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 6 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
32 seconds ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

19 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

23 by LenRea »»
6 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

60 by Noelle43 »»
35 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

63 by Noelle43 »»
37 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.