Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 8, 2018 6:41 AM

Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode.

Frederica sure is pretty.

I loved the part where Wang explained his motives and reasoning behind taking up this operation. His little speech about how his hope for a few decades of peace could eventually evolve into something more lasting along with his take on the responsibility of each generation to keep that peace was really moving. Wang's a great guy. :)

I hope this operation succeeds.
May 8, 2018 6:44 AM

Jul 2017
This show continues to deliver. Shame not many people are checking this out.

Great episode again and I just loved Yang and Mittermeyer's discussion.

The writers are writing Yang's character pretty well compared to what I expected.

Also lovely to see Frederica again. She was lovely in the original and for what I saw, here too.
May 8, 2018 6:46 AM

Jun 2011
Finally Schenkopp the stigmatized midlife!

Frederica is as cute as always, but idk she could lay a Rosenritter low with bare hands..
May 8, 2018 7:04 AM

Sep 2016
The speech given by Wang was pretty cool. His motivation for this mission is imo inspirational.

May 8, 2018 7:15 AM
Navel-Gazer

Jun 2015
"The one and only navigable route between the Alliance and the Empire" RIP PHEZZAN... Nah, I think Rubinsky & Co will definitely appear, just later on. It almost makes sense to omit them now, since the way things stand at the moment an invasion through there is politically impossible for either party anyway...

The whole Econia discussion thing makes me happy I sat through Spiral Labyrinth. Must be a strange feeling for those who only watched the OVA though, suddenly not having absolute knowledge about what's going on.

2thuriel said:
Frederica is as cute as always, but idk she could lay a Rosenritter low with bare hands..

Schenkopp did mention something about "dropping the act" to that guy, so we can assume that if nothing else, her "opponent" wasn't taking her seriously. I did like that she said nothing about the Rosenritters' behaviour being insulting to her; she only fought back because "how dare they act so inappropriately in front of Yang!". That's so in character for her it hurts.
"I stocked this for our last meal. So let's enjoy white rice tonight. But not all of it. We still have tomorrow and the day after that." ~Houjou San

"Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy." ~Ikari Yui

"Life is suffering and pain. The world is cursed, its people are cursed, and yet we still wish to live." ~Osa
May 8, 2018 7:16 AM
Jul 2018
Surprised to see another Yang's episode and this was just another great episode delivered and felt like 5 minute for me. Every conversation was always thrilling to watch. And, the last part were stunning especially the background and really shows the terrifying power of Thor Hammer. I hope they detail some of the history of Iserlohn in next episode..
May 8, 2018 7:16 AM

Sep 2014
Damn Yang, why are you so awesome? His speech revealing his motives and beliefs over the current state of affairs was really well thought out. Frederica looks pretty beautiful and cute as an adult too. Schenkopp and Rosenritters made their debut and have a very dangerous mission to carry out. I liked Bewcock's brief appearance as well.
May 8, 2018 7:18 AM
Apr 2018
Many details were left out in this episode:

1. Why is schenkopf number 13 when there is only 6 that defects back to the empire?
2. Why does the space around the fortress is impassable?
3. Why does Iserlorhn only the route towards the empire considering that space is big?
4. Wait a minute in the first episode Phezzan is in the middle of the FPA and the Empire why not pass there?

Only if you read the novel can you answer this questions but if you only watch this adaptation you will think what are the answer to this questions. Those infos are important in this episode and this adaptation failed to do that.
May 8, 2018 7:27 AM

Dec 2015
They did a good job introducing the new characters and the Rosenritter. In the novel they were just on board of the ship with Yang and he started talking with Schönkopf about the plan when they were on their way to Iserlohn.

Nice that they let Yang + Frederica visit the training facility of the Rosenritter - was better to introduce them there. Also - not mentioned in the novel - Yang knew Patrichev and Murai (god is that new design awful compared to his old design which I liked a lot better worst change from the old stuff ... other chars I like even the new designs) from some past mission.

This was shown in the 2nd gaidens (side stories) of the old OVA. (And I guess later in that side story novels.) But it was better to mention/hint at that already here - instead of just showing the new chars.

Now some fun with Oberstein next episode. Then it will switch back to the empire. (Chapter 6 of the novel ... which was a bit long and later included Phezzan and then switching back to the alliance again.)

Edit: I'm sorry if the last paragraph of my post offended someone. I know it says not to discuss about the manga (and means novels or other source material as well with that) beyond the episode. I did not intent to "discuss". I just wanted to summarize/compare ... and I think I did it without spoilers. (Just saying how the point of view switches from one side to the other isn't really telling anything about what's going to happen. With "fun" for Oberstein I just meant that he is going to get screen time a bit. Since I like him it is going to be fun. Not telling what's going to happen. Since he already appeared at the end of this episode ... and he is shown as main char on the official website - 5 chars for each side they showed "big" at the chars section ... it should not really be a big spoiler at this moment to tell that he is going to get a bit screen time.)
LuthandoriusMay 8, 2018 10:24 AM
May 8, 2018 7:41 AM
Sep 2017
Can people spoil me.. Does yang end up with frederica?? or jessica?? Cause i ship him so hard with jessica.

May 8, 2018 7:42 AM
Apr 2016
RyuuSasakura12 said:

1. Why is schenkopf number 13 when there is only 6 that defects back to the empire?
3. Why does Iserlorhn only the route towards the empire considering that space is big?
4. Wait a minute in the first episode Phezzan is in the middle of the FPA and the Empire why not pass there?

Only if you read the novel can you answer this questions but if you only watch this adaptation you will think what are the answer to this questions. Those infos are important in this episode and this adaptation failed to do that.

His force is numbered 13 and this is why it is considered "unfortunate". Which has nothing to do with the fact that they are former Empire refugees who have the first ticket when deserting to the enemy.
It is impassable because space has different properties, according to the known physics of the universe. Reasons as to why it could be impassable are numerous; none are needed to understand the narrative.
Because the space between the Empire and the Allience IS IMPASSABLE and ships are not supplied with endless energy to make a detour through half a galaxy.
There is no fortress in "Phezzan" or whatever.
Your statements are false and your loyalty to the source material is at least misguided. In the English language your behaviour is called "nit-picking", and professionally it is a part of hatism. Show critique, not throw around "MaH oRiGiNaL".
Re:formed
May 8, 2018 7:43 AM

Sep 2014
ThreadFazer said:
Can people spoil me.. Does yang end up with frederica?? or jessica?? Cause i ship him so hard with jessica.

May 8, 2018 7:45 AM
Apr 2016
Luthandorius said:

Now some fun with Oberstein next episode. Then it will switch back to the empire. (Chapter 6 of the novel ... which was a bit long and later included Phezzan and then switching back to the alliance again.)

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

All you illiterate originals.
Re:formed
May 8, 2018 7:46 AM
Sep 2017
MonkeyDMike said:
ThreadFazer said:

thanks.

May 8, 2018 7:56 AM

Feb 2017
Great episode. Yang's speech about securing a peace for future generations was great and inspiring. Frederica is really cute and badass, hope she and Yang will be a great team. Also, this anime looks really beautiful, especially the space scenes.
May 8, 2018 7:58 AM

Feb 2013
Those guys were too rude to Frederica.
May 8, 2018 8:04 AM

Nov 2016
Yang is such a great guy with honorable motives.

I really enjoy the dialogues and world building so far and I honestly can't wait to pick up the original.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 8, 2018 8:17 AM

Oct 2015
Good build-up for the next mission. Yang's speech was so inspiring, I'm really adoring his character. I'm itching to watch the OVA now. I wonder what Yang's plan is :o Excited for the next episode.
May 8, 2018 8:18 AM

Jul 2015
Anutos said:
"The one and only navigable route between the Alliance and the Empire" RIP PHEZZAN... Nah, I think Rubinsky & Co will definitely appear, just later on. It almost makes sense to omit them now, since the way things stand at the moment an invasion through there is politically impossible for either party anyway...

It's not wrong to state that. These two nations only share borders on Iserlohn.

May 8, 2018 8:26 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
WTF did they do with Murai and that beard? That's really going to take some getting used to! And Schonkopf really is lacking a bit of the GAR manliness. Too bishie for my taste.

Aya Endo's voice is sexy as always though. I don't know if its the best fit for Frederica's character, but I always enjoy hearing her.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 8, 2018 8:29 AM

Feb 2008
Oh, Yang's stratagem is shifting into gear.

His subordinates seem interesting, Frederica is as cute as those around her claim. As cute as she is able, actually, although her connection to Yang is intriguing as well.

I did not expect the shifty Imperial intelligence guy to make an appearance so soon. I wonder, to what extent will the rivalling Imperial commanders heed his advice?
May 8, 2018 8:44 AM
Apr 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
RyuuSasakura12 said:

His force is numbered 13 and this is why it is considered "unfortunate". Which has nothing to do with the fact that they are former Empire refugees who have the first ticket when deserting to the enemy.
It is impassable because space has different properties, according to the known physics of the universe. Reasons as to why it could be impassable are numerous; none are needed to understand the narrative.
Because the space between the Empire and the Allience IS IMPASSABLE and ships are not supplied with endless energy to make a detour through half a galaxy.
There is no fortress in "Phezzan" or whatever.
Your statements are false and your loyalty to the source material is at least misguided. In the English language your behaviour is called "nit-picking", and professionally it is a part of hatism. Show critique, not throw around "MaH oRiGiNaL".

May 8, 2018 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
I can't get enough of Yang. Just how admirable is he?

Frederica has grown in such babe. She's precious.
I really wanted her to give the guy her last blow but yeah, Schönkopf had to stop her right there.

Not that I complain with all these Yang-focused episodes but I already miss Reinhard. I want to taste of his greatness as well.
May 8, 2018 8:55 AM

Jun 2015
This was some good build-up for the next episode. The speech Yang gave was truly amazing and inspiring. His motives are honorable. Frederica is quite pretty. Hopefully this operation is successful.
May 8, 2018 8:58 AM

Sep 2010
Best character ever being best character ever.

Also I have been waiting for the thor hammer to be animated. It didn't disappoint although it was way too short, then again it's just first showing.

PS: I love how those episode all focus on Alliance side one episode after another. It's not only because I always found Alliance and Yang much more interesting and better overall but also it's much easier to get invested when there is one storyline going on. This is especially true when you watch weekly.
May 8, 2018 9:12 AM

Sep 2016
eso18 said:
Best character ever being best character ever.

Also I have been waiting for the thor hammer to be animated. It didn't disappoint although it was way too short, then again it's just first showing.

PS: I love how those episode all focus on Alliance side one episode after another. It's not only because I always found Alliance and Yang much more interesting and better overall but also it's much easier to get invested when there is one storyline going on. This is especially true when you watch weekly.
FPA episodes are good because of Yang. without Yang, FPA is just really boring since it's full of boring and incompetent characters. Empire as a whole is more interesting since side-characters are more interesting there.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 8, 2018 9:24 AM

Jun 2013
Alas, they omitted Yang's (in)famous speech about drinking tea and not dying. I know it's OVA-original but it really captured his personality so well.

I still cannot get used to the new character designs though. Murai and Blumhardt are totally unrecognisable!

Otherwise, it's a pretty good adaptation.
May 8, 2018 10:44 AM
Navel-Gazer

Jun 2015
AdrianRubinsky said:
Anutos said:

It's not wrong to state that. These two nations only share borders on Iserlohn.

"Phezzan is practically its own, sovereign nation" is basically what I meant by "politically impossible", though it's sometimes easy for me to forget about all the implications of that, since it IS an Imperial autonomy, technically speaking. Whoops?
"I stocked this for our last meal. So let's enjoy white rice tonight. But not all of it. We still have tomorrow and the day after that." ~Houjou San

"Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy." ~Ikari Yui

"Life is suffering and pain. The world is cursed, its people are cursed, and yet we still wish to live." ~Osa
May 8, 2018 1:22 PM

May 2014
The adaptation staying strong. I really liked the new design of Iserlohn. Great visuals there.

And, yes, Fezzan also exists. I'm sure it will be featured shortly.
May 8, 2018 2:05 PM

Feb 2010
Really disliking what they've done to the Rosenritter regiment and Walter. Turning them into stereotypical buffboy muscleheads and all that. All for the sake of playing up Frederica (and she hardly needs it).
May 8, 2018 3:56 PM

Mar 2015
Cheeky sneaky bastards!
The sword that takes life gives life
May 8, 2018 5:33 PM

Feb 2014
Not a fan of that scene with Frederica, but glad she is finally in the spotlight atleast.
May 8, 2018 5:45 PM

Sep 2014
Meh Im really not a fan of the plot device ritters but their introduction in the original was better character wise imho. But atleast here we saw more than 5 of them.

So far its as I guessed, the actual iserlohn part comes next ep. I am surprised though that they leave out Reinhard completely. Its probably gonna shift back after Iserlohn.

I do have to say hating on the cgi will become my new hobby. Look at how much "character" the old designs had and how bland they are now.

However Oberstein seems fitting. #Oberstein did nothing wrong.
Having incompetent superiors sucks
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 8, 2018 6:22 PM

Mar 2017
DarkChaplain said:
Really disliking what they've done to the Rosenritter regiment and Walter. Turning them into stereotypical buffboy muscleheads and all that. All for the sake of playing up Frederica (and she hardly needs it).

I agree. I am surprised no one else is talking about this. In the OVAs they were introduced by SAVING someone from being harassed not vice versa. I would say this episode is the worst so far

That being said, Yang is being Yang and that is always wonderful. They are doing him quite well. Also Iserlohn looks AWESOME, can't wait to see more action from Thor's Hammer in the next episode, I seem to remember it coming into play SOMEHOW <-- not a spoiler heck its use is foreshadowed in this episode.

Luthandorius said:

This was shown in the 2nd gaidens (side stories) of the old OVA. (And I guess later in that side story novels.) But it was better to mention/hint at that already here - instead of just showing the new chars.

Darn, I haven't seen Spiral Labyrinth yet just Hundred Billion Stars and the two movies.
May 8, 2018 6:33 PM

Oct 2008
I loved the new episode as always!

However, this is the first time I've been disappointed with some of the character changes. Most of the new character designs are different but I like the overall character/personality, such as with Cazellnu, and I've warmed up to the Neue versions of them.

First off with Schonkopf, his Neue version seems very bland. In the OVA, Schonkopf gives off the impression of being the most macho/badass man in the universe. But this version of Schonkopf seems lacking. If OVA Schonkopf was a roaring tiger, then Neue Schonkopf is a house cat.

Next is Frederica, and I know this'll offend the SJWs around here, but the whole beating up on the Rosen Ritter soldier was rather laughable and it's like the writers are trying too hard to make her some kind of badass when in the Novel/OVA she's know for her intelligence, not tossing around buff soldiers while defying physics. This seemed very out of character based on OVA/Novel Frederica and seemed forced. I like Neue Frederica's design, but not her attitude. The Novel/OVA Frederica was also more humble.

Lastly, Murai had a unique design in the OVA, now he looks too generic. And they made Blumhardt pretty old compared to what he was in the OVA. I'm just being picky at this point.

Glad to see Oberstein again. I like this version of him as much as I liked the OVA version, maybe more.

I hate complaining, but I'm still loving this remake overall! Looking forward to the next episode as always!
May 8, 2018 6:51 PM

Oct 2008
PalmtopKaiser said:
DarkChaplain said:

I agree. I am surprised no one else is talking about this. In the OVAs they were introduced by SAVING someone from being harassed not vice versa. I would say this episode is the worst so far

Agreed, this was an annoying change they made in Neue to the Rosen Ritters. In the OVA, the Rosen Ritters showed up and saved a young waitress who was being harassed by a a group of jackasses (OVA Episode 6). The Neue version had the situation reversed just to make Frederica look tough. Very disappointed with this decision by the writers.
May 8, 2018 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
There was nothing at the end of the episode to give it the cliffhanger it deserved; the episode just kinda ended at a convenient point before the infiltration. They didnt explain the Iserlohn Fortress' features that are supposed to make it impossible to capture; which is a major point in Yang's strategy. RIP narration.
May 8, 2018 9:51 PM
Dec 2009
raynaninja said:
I loved the new episode as always!

However, this is the first time I've been disappointed with some of the character changes. Most of the new character designs are different but I like the overall character/personality, such as with Cazellnu, and I've warmed up to the Neue versions of them.

First off with Schonkopf, his Neue version seems very bland. In the OVA, Schonkopf gives off the impression of being the most macho/badass man in the universe. But this version of Schonkopf seems lacking. If OVA Schonkopf was a roaring tiger, then Neue Schonkopf is a house cat.

Next is Frederica, and I know this'll offend the SJWs around here, but the whole beating up on the Rosen Ritter soldier was rather laughable and it's like the writers are trying too hard to make her some kind of badass when in the Novel/OVA she's know for her intelligence, not tossing around buff soldiers while defying physics. This seemed very out of character based on OVA/Novel Frederica and seemed forced. I like Neue Frederica's design, but not her attitude. The Novel/OVA Frederica was also more humble.

Lastly, Murai had a unique design in the OVA, now he looks too generic. And they made Blumhardt pretty old compared to what he was in the OVA. I'm just being picky at this point.

Glad to see Oberstein again. I like this version of him as much as I liked the OVA version, maybe more.

I hate complaining, but I'm still loving this remake overall! Looking forward to the next episode as always!

Not to nitpick, just to give a little context. Frederica was acting so humble and "nadeshiko" in the OVA because she was so infatuated with Yang, she consider herself representing her superior's image as a high priority, thus treating all the crew with respect. As the daughter of a top general that outranks Yang, she could have acted a bit more aloof but chose not to. Of course she later considered all the comrades as family as they get more familiar.

But in spare time, there was actually a conversation between her and Julian in the OVA, and she joked that she was a tough girl when she was young, sometimes beating up her male peers. There was also a mention in the side novel that Julian witnessed Frederica "taking care" of a drunken soilder who was harrassing female officers with great ease. She graduated 2nd in her class from the cadet school out of over a thousand peers, so being at least proficient with hand to hand combat should be a given.

If anything,

But at least the DNT portrayal is not really out of character.

Also as Schonkopp commented, the Ritter was playing along and not being serious.
May 8, 2018 11:47 PM

Sep 2016
Damn. Another Yang episode. I'm starting to miss the Empire buddies XD
May 9, 2018 2:52 AM
Nov 2016
Are they changing the sequence of events or are they just skipping Over Reinhard's parts because they didn't show Reinhard forming his new Admiralty and they skipped over the Kastorp rebellion....
May 9, 2018 3:10 AM

Nov 2016
thesarcasticguy said:
Are they changing the sequence of events or are they just skipping Over Reinhard's parts because they didn't show Reinhard forming his new Admiralty and they skipped over the Kastorp rebellion....

In the novel those events happen after Iserlohn rather than before it. We'll likely see it in episode 8.
May 9, 2018 3:19 AM

Dec 2013
Fredrica really does look pretty.

I’m looking forward to their plan in action!
May 9, 2018 5:15 AM

Jul 2017
Hope we get an Empire episode soon.
May 9, 2018 6:01 AM
Jun 2016
GreenEmu said:
Hope we get an Empire episode soon.

I prefer the republic, liberty or death.
May 9, 2018 11:12 AM

Jul 2012
I love it when Stark700 isn't the creator of the thread <3

Anyways, SOOOO nice!! I'm really excited to see how they capture the planet (?). The team is really well rounded and it was nice to see all these new characters.
May 9, 2018 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
Holy shit anime death star! Accidentally drop my meat-bun.
May 9, 2018 11:46 AM

Sep 2017
Animation looks exquisite in some scenes, but with others, unfortunately, it looks rather unrefined. Hopefully the animators can maintain a better level of excellence moving forward. That being said, however, this was the best episode thus far.

I wonder if we will continue w/ Yang's side of the story for the remainder of this season, or if Reinhard will have more time to shine.

Also, are they planning on introducing the planet of Fezzan and its leader (Rubinsky) in the near future?...

Guess I'll have to stay tuned. :)
May 9, 2018 12:05 PM
Dec 2009
Despite the past few episodes (and the next one) focused on Yang, from a narrative perspective, Reinhard fired the opening salvo by decimating the Alliance at Astarte, and after the much needed backstories from both sides, it's only natural for Yang to provide a proper answer to the Empire at Iserlohn, and it would be natural to shift the attention back to the Empire as they absorb the shock.

Unlike many fast paced and action packed anime, LoGH takes its sweet time in political maneuvering, strategy formulation and battle preparation, much more like a war documentary / historical drama. Most one-cour anime would have past half way point by episode 6, and gearing up the pace for an action packed finale, but for LoGH, it's still in preparation phase for only the second engagement of the series. This kind of pacing might be a bit unusual for new anime viewers, who may find it strange that Reinhard is MIA for a few weeks now, but they should try to adjust their expectations to view the narrative as a whole after this season at least.
May 9, 2018 1:30 PM
Mar 2016
Oh so Yangs plan is like a Trojan horse kinda thing them Schonkopf gangs get inside the base and overpower them from the inside.
May 9, 2018 2:23 PM
Oct 2012
This was a good enough episode it was mostly just set up for it, Rosenritter made less of an impression than they did in the original and I'm not sure if the scene of Frederica taken down one of them and them playing along was necessary, they did come across worse.

This show is definitely adapting it very differently, the original swapped between the two a lot more, which I think I slightly prefer. I guess we will get Reinhard after next episode? If not maybe we will get a whole season of Yang then completely tell Reinhard's story in the movies, he is on the poster.

Well overall a good ep, I enjoyed Yang's speech and I'm excited for Iserlohn .
JoeGar96May 9, 2018 2:40 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.