Forum Settings
Forums

The Importance of Worldbuilding in Anime - Feedback and Comments

New
May 5, 2018 6:50 PM

Apr 2017
Read the article here, written by @Parkyou.

Please leave any comments or feedback on the article here!

Rules:

• Be civil and polite at all times.
  • If you have criticisms, ensure that they are constructive and not personally attacking the writer.
  • If your feedback is about MAL Articles in general, please leave the suggestion here.
  • We encourage you to join our Discord server here!
MAL_ArticlesMay 27, 2018 9:53 PM
The official publishing account of the MAL Articles club.
Interested in writing or editing for us? Click here!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 6, 2018 12:11 AM

Nov 2017
well, amazing article
but again i feel that lacked content
there are so many other things you could've talked
new and amazing world of one piece
the morality and destruction in the world of HUNTERxHUNTER
the importance of heroes and villains in BNHA
and so so so much more....

but hey,
at least you talked about Haikyuu
if a great show like that gets the attention it deserves i'll be happy
May 6, 2018 7:45 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
HILrebellion said:
well, amazing article

but hey,

One does not simply talk about every single anime that exists in under 2000 words.
May 6, 2018 9:02 PM

Jul 2009
HILrebellion said:
well, amazing article

but hey,

These nitpicks seem to be about the examples rather than the content of the article itself...
May 6, 2018 9:27 PM

Nov 2017
@Shymander
@Skittles

i'm in no way telling it's a bad thing to not talk about the series i've mention
the only thing i wanna convey is that why talk about an inferior series with bad examples when you can talk about a superior one with better examples.
he completely ignores the shonen-battle genre talking about isekai and sports
i agree the comparison between code geass and guilty crown was good.
but why stop there, he could've drawn comparison between attack on titan and kabenari, one piece, hunterxhunter, bnha, even god-damned Naruto has more to talk about tan the series he has mentioned
May 7, 2018 12:31 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
@HILrebellion
Looking at shounen anime would be a viable option, as would a number of other anime and genres of equal value, but once again you can very rarely talk about every possible example in an article.

The identification of what's superior and inferior and comparing them to highlight the superiority of one over the other is a far more effective method than just listing superior examples. It allows for the reader to expand their understanding of where and how worldbuilding is done well and how it isn't, rather than just where it's done well.

@Skittles
Sweet forum set, bro <3
May 7, 2018 4:21 AM

Oct 2014
Well It is a fine article.

Although I think it would have been better if you went a bit more in depth with the examples.

I here have yet another example of bad world building:
Chivalry of a Failed knight has a huge one.
The whole series is about Magical knights but they never explained the magic nor what Role Magical Knights play in Society.
So the worldbuilding is there is missing 2 basic needs for world building.
Something that Naruto, Bleach and One Piece just Nailed it.
May 7, 2018 9:14 PM

Nov 2017
@Bourmegar

that's exactly what i meant
he took up weak examples when there are more flourishing one's like naruto, one piece, aot, hxh
May 9, 2018 9:24 AM

Oct 2016
HILrebellion said:
@Bourmegar

he took up weak examples when there are more flourishing one's like naruto, one piece, aot, hxh
Bourmegar said:

Although I think it would have been better if you went a bit more in depth with the examples.

The whole series is about Magical knights but they never explained the magic nor what Role Magical Knights play in Society.
Ya’ know, here’s the thing:

Idc if the anime I choose to write about, of which are all in the top 100 most popular series on mal, don’t fly with every single person on mal.

What I did wasn’t gush about shows. I decided what the keys are to good world building in anime, and I chose one good show and one bad show to illustrate that point. If you’d rather me write an article called “The Amazing Worlds of Shounen Anime” (Like seriously, an article about HxH, Natuto, Bleach, One Piece and AoT is just an article about shounen), well too bad, cuz idc about most of those shows. Code Geass, Guilty Crown, Log Horizon and Haikyuu are all shows I have strong feelings for, positive or negative.

Besides, who in the anime community at all needs an article to draw attention to those shows?

P.S. My examples are better than those examples anyway imo 🤷‍♂️
ParkyouMay 9, 2018 9:28 AM
May 9, 2018 12:49 PM

Oct 2014
Parkyou said:
HILrebellion said:
@Bourmegar

Bourmegar said:

Idc if the anime I choose to write about, of which are all in the top 100 most popular series on mal, don’t fly with every single person on mal.

What I did wasn’t gush about shows. I decided what the keys are to good world building in anime, and I chose one good show and one bad show to illustrate that point. If you’d rather me write an article called “The Amazing Worlds of Shounen Anime” (Like seriously, an article about HxH, Natuto, Bleach, One Piece and AoT is just an article about shounen), well too bad, cuz idc about most of those shows. Code Geass, Guilty Crown, Log Horizon and Haikyuu are all shows I have strong feelings for, positive or negative.

Besides, who in the anime community at all needs an article to draw attention to those shows?

@HILrebelion
ok I believe that I have to clear up something.

I was more about going in depth with the Given Examples, like how Haikyuu made you understand the sports more than Yuri on Ice did.
NOT ABOUT WHICH SERIES GOT MENTIONED BECAUSE THE EXAMPLES WEREN'NT WEAK AT ALL!
May 9, 2018 3:23 PM

Oct 2016
Bourmegar said:
Parkyou said:

@HILrebelion
ok I believe that I have to clear up something.

I was more about going in depth with the Given Examples, like how Haikyuu made you understand the sports more than Yuri on Ice did.
NOT ABOUT WHICH SERIES GOT MENTIONED BECAUSE THE EXAMPLES WEREN'NT WEAK AT ALL!
I mean, that's literally exactly what I said. Nothing to go "more in depth" with.
May 18, 2018 7:55 AM

Nov 2017
Great article :) i agree that worldbuilding is very important in anime. Speaking about world building, Narita Ryougo and Mamare Touno's works came out in my mind instantly. This article made me realize more the importance of their works' world building.

There is also one manga title (Tsukikage Baby) that i only realized why i have been captivated by it. i couldnt answer it before, but after reading this article, now i know. It's the world building. Thanks for the article, it's really enjoyable and educational ~
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Technical Quality vs. Enjoyment: A Strange Discrepancy - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Mar 1, 2018

8 by removed-user »»
May 11, 2022 4:12 PM

» Black, White, and Gray: What Makes an Antihero Work - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Aug 23, 2018

4 by utopica »»
Sep 1, 2021 5:23 PM

» Can an OP Character Be a Good Main Character? - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Apr 13, 2018

11 by WaifuMaster17 »»
Mar 8, 2020 12:19 PM

» Why Incest Appears So Often In Anime - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - Jan 21, 2018

10 by AnchientProphet2 »»
Apr 3, 2019 8:26 AM

» Cowboy Bebop: Meaning Behind the Madness - Feedback and Comments

MAL_Articles - May 14, 2018

2 by TomDay »»
Sep 14, 2018 6:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.