Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 20, 2018 9:38 PM

Apr 2017
Alright... Honestly, I have just known the term only in here, the lovely MAL xD

I'll second to @kuuderu 's point, We could separate the one's accomplishment with one's behavior. Let's say someone has watched more than at least 600 is entitled to get the elitist label. Isn't it natural they're bragging about their accomplishments itself? Imagine listening to a village elder talk a lot about the past life which they live in, blabbering so much about their opinions to you. We're annoyed at some point but he's talked about experience matter. Don't get the wrong idea, we could agree that elitist has become an elite as they're really into the anime world. Yep, we respect them. But the irritating behaviour like Pride, Arrogance, Snobbery is somewhat different matter. Hate the behavior, not the accomplishment.
May 20, 2018 10:18 PM

Dec 2008
I sure do get tired of so called elitists. They just take the fun out of everything.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 22, 2018 2:28 AM

Aug 2015
Why is it that people who complain about elitists never write the plural form of anime correctly :^(
May 22, 2018 2:33 AM

Jun 2011
No.

I don't.

I wouldn't be into anime if I didn't sit around and listen to an elitist or two. And honestly, a lot of "elitists" just crave knowledge and are obsessive but also want respect and acceptance from the general community. It is kinda like... barking up the wrong tree when users here don't like watching stuff pre-2006 or worse, pre-2011. These people are NOT on their level of obsession. And I feel it personally. I just want people to talk to. I am lonely. But I also have a taste which doesn't mesh well with what people like now. So being more lonely is a given, and sometimes you become a little bitter. And wish you did like what everyone else liked but at least you are honest...

Maybe because I get called Elitist a lot. Just because I say "You should support the official release if you loved the anime." and "You know, this trope exists more and better in older anime right?".... "The modern moe style feels like lazy character design", and "I like mecha, shoujo, and space dramas!"<--- in other words, how to be completely isolated from other anime fans.

I think "Elitist" types are actually tsunderes. They just want love and respect. But their words come out wrong and yeah they generally really do think you are being stupid and should rise to the occasion and meet their standards of an intellectual based friendship. Seeking like fans in a sea of people who are not like them.
Energetic-NovaMay 22, 2018 2:49 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 22, 2018 2:37 AM

Jun 2011
code said:
In all the years I've been posting online about anime, shows, games, etc.. I've only ever seen people talk about elitists. Never met one. Must be rarer than shinies.

Hi, I have been called Elitist for having taste that doesn't match most modern fan standards. LOL.

Oh yeah. Totally elite with all that yaoi. Oh, so Elite for buying anime and thinking other people should do it too. Yeah yeah, totally horrible that I wish for the people I talk to to know what they are talking about when they say "I hate mecha" but then have Code Geass listed as a 10.

I think I am tired of idiots who live or die by seasonals being good. Argue about studios instead of talent. Talk about animation when they really mean artstyle. Idiots are really really annoying.
Energetic-NovaMay 22, 2018 2:41 AM
May 22, 2018 5:07 AM

Apr 2017
Yuissi said:
Why is it that people who complain about elitists never write the plural form of anime correctly :^(
and we always have people like you who do that. mal is not an english class, thanks

still life: pink roses
May 22, 2018 6:51 AM

Aug 2015
sunako199 said:
Yuissi said:
and we always have people like you who do that. mal is not an english class, thanks

Sorry, I'm just so autistic it bugs me, even though my english is not the best either (I'm not a native speaker). I didn't mean anything bad by it, I just dislike the word "elitist" as it's a non-argument/buzzword.
May 22, 2018 9:22 AM

Aug 2013
And just moments ago i visited some forums full of casual fans who would go "omg those chicks are so kyoot! Fapfapfap!", "aww her boobs are awesome!", etc etc complete with some unnecessary waifu wars. Its so garbage dumpy kind of situation that those elitists with their bigoted opinions would feel like a breeze of fresh air
May 22, 2018 11:51 AM

Feb 2010
If there were not elitist ON Mal I would have to move on because it would rob me of my favorite pass time on MAL
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 22, 2018 12:03 PM

Feb 2018
An elitist isn't going to magically make me start liking what they do. I just saw "screw you" to them.
May 22, 2018 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
Why is it that newbs are always the one complaining about elitists when really it is just that they are entitled and wish to be treated like a veteran regardless if they have seen 1 anime or 800. Clearly some people do know more about the medium. Some people bother to learn about more than just seiyu and what studio made it.

eh. I feel like people just use elitist as a term to mean "someone who knows more about anime than you and that makes you uncomfortable."

I don't think veteran and elitist are the same thing. I'm been watching anime for over 10 years, over 20 if you count the time I wasn't aware it was this thing called anime. So I may very well count as a veteran, but I'm far from an elitist.

I'd also add hardcore vs casual watchers to this. It seems when you talk about elitists, you're actually talking about hardcore fans. Elitists would be the sort of people who think that if you're not a hardcore fan, you're not a fan at all.
May 22, 2018 12:24 PM

Jun 2011
Haittakari said:
Energetic-Nova said:
Why is it that newbs are always the one complaining about elitists when really it is just that they are entitled and wish to be treated like a veteran regardless if they have seen 1 anime or 800. Clearly some people do know more about the medium. Some people bother to learn about more than just seiyu and what studio made it.

eh. I feel like people just use elitist as a term to mean "someone who knows more about anime than you and that makes you uncomfortable."

I don't think veteran and elitist are the same thing. I'm been watching anime for over 10 years, over 20 if you count the time I wasn't aware it was this thing called anime. So I may very well count as a veteran, but I'm far from an elitist.

I'd also add hardcore vs casual watchers to this. It seems when you talk about elitists, you're actually talking about hardcore fans. Elitists would be the sort of people who think that if you're not a hardcore fan, you're not a fan at all.

On this website? The only elitists like that are subtitle only people and new is better always people. And people seem to accept their narrative just fine here.

Oh and the "piracy" elites definitely have become snobbish do to the echo chamber here telling them it is OK. XD

But I have been called an elitist LOTS of times. and yeah it is annoying. I get called elitist for the following:

1. Saying I like older anime.
2. Saying I think moe character designs feel lazy and that it is hard for me to connect with them (as a reason newer anime isn't really doing it for me).
3. "Support the official release." seems to really make a lot of people mad. lol.Yet they have it better than I did when I was 14. And yeah, if you spend no money on anime at all and were not planning to ever spend money on anime, I probably would say you werent much of a fan. (especially living in a country like USA where everything is so cheap and accessible right now. )
4. Saying I like Mecha, Space, and Shoujo shows.
5. Just having Evangelion on my faves list.

May 22, 2018 1:20 PM

Jun 2015
Energetic-Nova said:
code said:
In all the years I've been posting online about anime, shows, games, etc.. I've only ever seen people talk about elitists. Never met one. Must be rarer than shinies.

Hi, I have been called Elitist for having taste that doesn't match most modern fan standards. LOL.

Oh yeah. Totally elite with all that yaoi. Oh, so Elite for buying anime and thinking other people should do it too. Yeah yeah, totally horrible that I wish for the people I talk to to know what they are talking about when they say "I hate mecha" but then have Code Geass listed as a 10.

I think I am tired of idiots who live or die by seasonals being good. Argue about studios instead of talent. Talk about animation when they really mean artstyle. Idiots are really really annoying.
Yeah, still haven't seen an elitist.

May 22, 2018 1:51 PM

Jul 2015
Holy shit buckets of salt have been poured in this thread while I was looking elsewhere Oo

There's also the strand of people who try to make you believe that Lacan is somehow valuable to Ergo Proxy, and make some stupid appeal to the fact that Vincent fits Lacan's mirror stage psychoanalysis, which is about as fruitless of an endeavor as someone trying to argue that Ergo Proxy is arguing for a new grammatology because Derrida is cited.

I don't know if I'm glad to be too uneducated to ridicule myself like that, or sad because I don't understand why it's ridiculous.
I must confess I just really enjoyed the opposition between humans and AutoReivs, the conflict between free will and purpose wich made the latter go mad (but not Pino since she had no purpose as a child-like companion AutoReiv), and episode 16.
I'm an ignoramus T___T *insert wind sound here*
May 22, 2018 1:55 PM

Jun 2015
Clebardman said:
Holy shit buckets of salt have been poured in this thread while I was looking elsewhere Oo

There's also the strand of people who try to make you believe that Lacan is somehow valuable to Ergo Proxy, and make some stupid appeal to the fact that Vincent fits Lacan's mirror stage psychoanalysis, which is about as fruitless of an endeavor as someone trying to argue that Ergo Proxy is arguing for a new grammatology because Derrida is cited.

I don't know if I'm glad to be too uneducated to ridicule myself like that, or sad because I don't understand why it's ridiculous.
I must confess I just really enjoyed the opposition between humans and AutoReivs, the conflict between free will and purpose wich made the latter go mad (but not Pino since she had no purpose as a child-like companion AutoReiv), and episode 16.
I'm an ignoramus T___T *insert wind sound here*
It's okay, so is anyone arguing about that mess of a show.

May 22, 2018 1:59 PM

Jul 2015
@code wow, a newbie with 5 days watched is poking fun at me! (^%

Tssss, I know you secretly love it.
May 22, 2018 2:02 PM

Jun 2015
Clebardman said:
@code wow, a newbie with 5 days watched is poking fun at me! (^%

Tssss, I know you secretly love it.
I'll have you know that my 5.8 days watched is worth more than all the days in this thread combined.

May 22, 2018 8:14 PM

Apr 2017
Haittakari said:
Energetic-Nova said:

i second this, people here are casually misunderstooding the meaning of "elitist" to "veterans", thats enough for me to not read their paragraphs, though we're not at fault with that

still life: pink roses
May 22, 2018 11:51 PM

Aug 2009
DonCaballero said:
LoneWolf said:
Some ppl take anime way too seriously.

That being said, I've seen more anime than all of you combined, you're a 100 yrs too early to even argue with me. When it comes to chinese cartoons my opinion is impossible to challenge. So let's see what you can do to challenge the impossible!

Users with unique tastes aka patricians will always be superior to the so-called elitists

So pretty much patrician = hipster? Lol k dude

You realize I was joking right?

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 23, 2018 6:49 PM

Jun 2017
sunako199 said:
"my taste is better than you" "what do we do with people with bad taste"

users who believe they are superior are so annoying they are always there spreading wide shit everywhere with their haughty doings (check out the user below)

sadly we cant kick them out the site

edit: elitist- person who believes that they are superior to others (and thus deserve favored status) because of their intellect, social status, wealth, or other factors. means not a random person who have watched too many animes already

i hate the elitists who look down on you for not having watched as many shows as them/ they don't like your preference. like who cares watch what you want
May 24, 2018 1:08 AM

May 2009
Flick your middle finger towards them and move on.
May 24, 2018 4:36 AM

Dec 2010
Learn to banter.
I am tired of these "why elitist?" threads, though.
キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
Jan 16, 2022 2:22 PM

Sep 2020
No. Elitists are a necessary bad to this community.
Jan 17, 2022 2:20 AM

Jan 2021
I think problem would be solved if people stopped giving them attention, and limit their interactions with them
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 22

9 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

97 by Ex-Aid »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
3 hours ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
5 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by R-unknown »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.