Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 2018 9:05 PM

Sep 2016
Hi guys, so I have this on/off sort of relationship with drawing (mainly because I suck at it) and I really want some advice from you guys on how to improve my drawing.

I can vaguely picture/imagine the end product of my drawing, like how I'd frame my shot on my DSLR and retouch the image in Photoshop, but I simply fail on the drawing skills part.

So most pictures just stay in my mind. And I really want to put them on paper.

Let's get straight to the point. I'll be highlighting my thoughts in a list in hope that it will make my main points across.

1. I know that learning the human anatomy is very important to capture the essence of the character drawn, but I don't like watching videos. Any good tutorials written in text and images please?

2. I've always struggled with shading and hair, any tips on how to draw hair and shading properly? I can't imagine how the hair is supposed be drawn above the forehead + drawn body parts just look weird without any perception of depth which comes from shading.

3. Pencil grip - I use a slightly modified version of the lateral quadropod grip www.imgur.com/hdYLQ5u (with thumb wrapped around the pencil and tip resting on the index finger).
Do I need to relearn how to grip a pencil?

4. The art style I'm hoping to achieve for now is something like SHAFT's Monogatari anime character design.

5. Any tips on how to transcribe sketch to digital form? Like what scanner/software to buy and use since I'm planning to color my artworks in digital form.

Thanks for reading+offering me any tips! Also English is not my forte, so please forgive any grammar mistakes!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2018 11:09 AM

May 2012
0000 0001. There's plenty of free tutorials on Deviant Art if you don't want to pay for assistance, but you get what you pay for as well so maybe not the best route, but you could start by seeing what others have to say on the subject.

0000 0010. Use ratios to get positioning right, that'll get you in the ballpark every time and you can adjust from there such as the length of the area above the lower lip to the nose should be twice that of the length below the upper lip to the chin, though you'd have to decide how you want to apply that to anime, but ratios will still work even if you have to keep photoshop document with them in conveniently color coded lengths for a visual reminder on the rough specifics you want to achieve for each of your characters. As for shading it varies too much to have an easy fix based on light sources, but a friendly reminder to not forget the reflected light past the shadow if you're going for realism, but anime tends to ignore certain traditional rules and the occasional laws of physics so meh.

0000 0011. Pencil Grip only matters if you're trying to avoid smudging something IMO, certain grips are better for certain things which is why if you ever take a drafting course they'll tell you to conform or die...y'know academically at least for that course.

0000 0100. Prolly should develop your own style rather than trying to copy somebody else's, it'll be easier and you'll likely get better results if you don't stress over whether your style matches a specific style.

0000 0101. Agreed with Yaya, you'll prolly want to clean up the traditional sketch in an image software where you can use the pentool to ensure straight lines and smooth even curves also makes it easier to color and you don't have to worry about erasure marks if you simply essentially trace it once it's digitized so the inherent issues with snapping a photo vs scanning don't really affect much.

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

360 by nin-tendo »»
6 hours ago

» People who don't believe that there is anything wrong with western entertainment and influence.

kratos960203 - Apr 19

22 by W3TFT »»
8 hours ago

» Have you tried using lmms?

Cammell - Apr 19

2 by W3TFT »»
8 hours ago

» CSS List Designs by Valerio Lyndon / V.L

Valerio_Lyndon - Sep 9, 2022

23 by karmashizzle »»
Yesterday, 6:01 PM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

3 by Kwanthemaster »»
Yesterday, 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.