Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
May 2, 2018 3:54 PM

May 2014
They are nailing the adaptation so far. This is the same LoGH quality. Long live the Free Planets Alliance, and ‒ much more importantly ‒ vote for Job Trunicht.

Lindle said:
kaelthas31 said:

maduro democratic president or dictator

Dictator, but Trunicht ain't Maduro.

Trunicht and his allies are fairly authoritarian, but Maduro has set a stiff standard, so not quite there yet. Politics nowadays consists of national leaders trying to out-dictator each other, so there is some competition.
May 2, 2018 10:27 PM

Jun 2011
Three straight episodes of FPA and Yang Wen Li in this adaptation. Lol, Reinhard and Kircheis sure is getting the short end of the stick.

Not that I really mind. I always preferred the FPA perspective seeing as how dysfunctional democracy is more relatable to me than aristocratic intrigue as someone who grew up in a country that's pretty much like the Free Planets only with a shittier military.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
May 3, 2018 12:00 PM
Aug 2017
Is it weird that i dislike the little kid? He is just so damn perfect, it hurts.
Everything else: Great. I really liked this episode!
May 3, 2018 2:59 PM

Jul 2012
the most heartbreaking part about this anime is that it will only last 12 episodes

SOLID episode. fucking loved the government stuff and ethics, whatnot. that shit is funnn.
May 3, 2018 8:10 PM
Apr 2018
Moonhead said:
I honestly think that the way Iserlohn Fortress is handled here is really bad in a subtle way.
Considering the absolutely monumental importance of Iserlohn Fortress to the rest of the series and the absolutely staggering proposal that Yang should take it with half a fleet in the context of what has actually happened beforehand, they really should have mentioned the history of Iserlohn Fortress BEFORE the meeting with Sithole. (This is hoping that they will mention it later.)

People are gonna call me an OVA fanboy, but, while I otherwise find this adaptation to be pretty decent, this lack of consideration fails to properly build up what is to come in a major way, which I don't think should have been ignored.

Failing to set up the stakes is a beginner's mistake.

Then blame the author Tanaka because even in the novel. Iserlorhn was only introduced in Chapter 5 Attack on Iserlorhn which is the next episode.
May 3, 2018 8:39 PM

Oct 2012
Is it me, or did Yang do a frame-perfect Kyon Facepalm?
May 4, 2018 3:24 AM

Jul 2013
More Yang Wenli episode please :)
May 4, 2018 5:45 PM

Dec 2013
Yang really is an amazing character.

Seems the alliance also has its issues.

I’m looking forward to Isherlon.
May 5, 2018 2:38 PM

Feb 2010
Nikki_Z said:
It's been a while since I've seen the original but Yang and Julian's reactions to when Patriotic Knight Corp came to Yang's house seemed very unrealistic. After they (the Patriotic Knight Corp) threw a grenade into Yang's house followed by Yang spraying them with water causing them to flee, they just casually start talking normally as if nothing really happened, with Yang just sitting on his broken table? huh?? They could've definitely come back if they wanted to, and why not call the police?

Other than that this was a pretty good episode, really liked the pacing compared to the last episode, though, I'm curious, will we not ever see what the Dominion of Fezzan is up to in this one? guess we'll see. I remember some of their faction members being introduced in episode 1 of the original.

The novel goes into more detail there.

As for the police, it was indeed called by neighbors in the novel. They knew right away that stuff was up but only mobilized when the neighborhood made it a point to specifically call them up. They're reluctant of moving against the Patriotic Knights, probably pressured not to if possible from up above. So basically, the PK scattered after being drenched AND the sirens started blaring, not just because they got a little wet. This adaptation really messed that up (heck, Yang had a chat with the cops too).

And yes, the car chase was anime original. I think it was simply put in because the OVA had a car-rescue scene back then (which was also original). I honestly don't know why they try to straddle the line between being more of a novel adaptation but also tick boxes the OVA did...
May 5, 2018 3:26 PM

Feb 2013
Corruption everywhere!
May 7, 2018 5:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice episode!!!!
sprinklers? It was water canyons!!! lol
Well, now, even Yang how the widow is in the black point of the government!!!
The next Yang´s mission will be awesome, although a little "kamikaze"!!! :/
May 8, 2018 7:47 AM

Apr 2009
kaelthas31 said:
Lindle said:
Good episode. Was fond of this in the original as well, the first time we see that despite being a democracy the Alliance is similarly corrupt to the Empire.

Character designs are still an issue, what with everyone having more or less the same face (sans Caselnes, whose nose is noticeably larger) - in a series with so many characters that it's damn near impossible to keep track, having distinctive designs is important, and I had more than a few am-I-supposed-to-know-who-that-is moments as usual.

It was well-paced, though, and the car chase was a good scene. While Trunicht's voice is noticeably less charismatic than the OVA version his speech and body language still carries his charisma well enough.

Above all else, though, this is where the series brings in one of its most major themes - the difference between war as glorified by those who don't have to fight it, and the harsh reality of those who do. It's an important milestone.

That said, shame they left out the line about how "the most popular freedom is the freedom to not get involved".

Fucking this.

the alliance is not a real democracy is a populist regime that controls all media and the government uses paramilitaries to attack the opposition

In short Basically It's America,
Just Replace The Patriotic Knights into ANTIFA, and you got it spot on hahaha
Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many.
Girls are only interested in hunks. They befriend people only to forget them later.
Life is something that can never be lived twice. Even this pointless act will eventually end. And while thinking that one day, I’ll surely regret its end…
Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
- Hachiman Hikigaya(Oregairu SNAFU)
May 16, 2018 7:18 AM

Jan 2011
there he is, the professional politician, always turning other people s tragedy into personal gain... i hated Trunicth in the OVA but looking back the series wouldnt ve been nearly as memorable without him

you know i never liked Julian Minci s design back then... he looks generic here but imo thats still an improvement
May 21, 2018 5:33 PM

Feb 2012
This episode made me realize that the Free Planets Alliance makes no sense as it is shown. The country is too big and consists of too many different planes for a central democratic government to effectively control it. The space geography would demand extreme federalization of confederalization for the government to even function. Most matters would necessarily be dealt with each planet individually, and individuals would likely have stronger loyalties to their home planet than the central government.
Aug 9, 2018 8:38 PM

May 2012
Another impressive episode ,really lovely bundling and pacing if you ask me! Looking forwards to the next episode.
Nov 19, 2019 4:01 PM

Aug 2018
Great episode......
Mar 20, 2020 2:10 PM

Oct 2009
Luthandorius said:
Also a bit funny stuff with the water - where Yang got wet. (In the novel he was directly at the memorial service hall. They used it so that sprinkler/water system already got introduced before Yang used it later.)

Still though, why would a sprinkler be configured in a way that could sprinkle water directly in front of the door; isn't that a bit imprudent?

Lindle said:
thepath said:
Can someone remind me when did Jessica husband die ?! this anime airs weekly, so maybe there something that I forgot. I don't remember that they showed him dying in last week episode !!

It was actually in the very first episode. He was in one of the fleets that got destroyed.

Not her husband though, but a fiancé
SerhiykoMar 20, 2020 2:13 PM
Dec 29, 2020 3:42 AM

Jan 2009
#YangGang at it again

Yang knows well there is no morality in war might be link to the saying there is no winners in war too but all are losers

and he is about freedom eh is he an American with too much freedom and democracy lol but ye thats not right since American Nationalism exist and im sure Yang hates nationalism
Feb 13, 2021 5:03 PM

Dec 2012
I only wish Job Truniht's face was as punchable in this version. Such a sneaky bastard.
Jun 13, 2021 10:22 PM

Jul 2012
A not-at-all warm welcome to a guy I did not missed seeing... Good ol' Trunicht.

And dude! They had already addressed Jean Robert's death?? I totally missed it!

Julian being the responsible adult at home is always great to see.

And seriously on Cazellnu's redesign... His face looks weird! They made him look suspicious, like he's up to something. He had such a reassuring dad face in the OVA, I miss it.
Nov 21, 2021 1:50 PM

Aug 2017
Good episode. Yang is much better in this episode, the plot is progressing so i don't mind the pacing.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 25, 2021 9:44 AM
Nov 2020
they cut alot of content from the original, but its still fine to me.
Jun 30, 2023 12:52 AM

Aug 2019
I love how Yang is always making his superiors uncomfortable

If something ever happens to Jessica, we know who did it

Julian, is a wonderful kid, he has a great future ahead of him.

This is a free country that has a group of people harassing people who have different views on war?
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.