Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
High School DxD (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 30, 2018 2:09 PM
Apr 2018
I normally don’t feel the need to talk about such things publicly. But this is absolutely the time to speak.

It’s been several days now since I’ve watched first two episodes of Hero. Then I started reading comments and reviews, here and there, and I just cannot believe how far different my view is from the most of people.

To begin with, I need to underline that I am not a LN fan as I have not read it yet, I probably will some day. I started with an anime, then moved to reading manga. And I am freakin glad it went that way, because High School DxD anime is one of the best things that ever hapenned to me. I cannot live without it and certainly won’t live without it. I rewatch the whole series every year, with the greatest feeling of satisfaction and a huge hunger for more (for the record - no fapping, not even thinking about it...).

DxD Hero:
Rias is not Rias (!).
Xenovia is not Xenovia.
Asia - what the hell?!
Where is the mysterious, dark atmosphere?
Where is the maturity in characters? The "unknown" in their eyes?
Koneko is not sexy anymore. Actually, no one is sexy anymore. But hey, everyone is insanely busty instead, let’s celebrate!
The colors are riculously washed out. There is NO DEPTH in the scenes at all, no details. Why would you like it, I am clueless. Maybe the “better animation” that is so praised everywhere I look. Well, good animation is for nothing, when what is being animated is crap.
The OP and the song itself is getting good reviews. Sure, it is pretty decent, but it sure as hell doesn’t fit here. It sounds like every other OP song you can hear in any anonymous series. SylipS and the others where doing such an excellent job, literally every song from previous seasons was distinctive and totally corresponding to the series. It was 100% customized for DxD, not to mention that in some of them even the cast took part, what was unbelievably cute. On the other hand, the ED from Hero is totally out of place, with endless, bright sun (palms, seriously?) and vulgar car washing. I admit, in the previous seasons sometimes there was too much nudity in EDs, but they were subtle (in comparison), somewhat sophisticated and very characteristic. This one could end any harem series, just swap the faces. And I literally feel raped after listening this wildly fast beat. It's just garbage.

Someone somwehere said that only 3 first seasons will preserve as “canonical” and they are the only true adaptation of DxD. He was severly laughed for this words. But guess what - he couldn’t be more RIGHT. The majority of people complain about the dissonance between the LN story and the plot. Really, tell me, wouldn’t you all be glad to get another tastefull season from geniuses (yes, that’s indeed my opinion) from TNK with getting back to the LN story? They just added/changed some content, that may or may not be superb/lame, but is it really the reason to cruelly burn and spit on their whole legacy? The plot mistakes could be easily fixed. Are some minor changes really the reason to give it all up and turn the whole production (which had its strong position, style and concept) to the small studio with no real achievements and huge chance of failure? Well, you tell me. But still, people generally sound pretty satisfied with the way it is... again, totally clueless.

What is more, most of you praise the universe for getting another season, no matter how it looks or how it feels. Another season of DxD, yay, let’s be totally gullible, we’re in luck! I don’t understand it at all. It seems that almost all that matters for most of people is the plot, and how the anime looks is literally just a matter of getting used to. Why not get used to some other ecchi series then? Or, a simple question, why do you need DxD anime at all? Why not stick to LN only? Are you watching it because you are bored? Or really, is it the fapping? I watched it because I loved it. For the trully unique atmosphere, for the great, adequate art (yes, great art, even in BorN) and exceptionally tasteful fan service. And music! God, the music... This all together used to take me to another, better place, in which I could stay eternally.
Hell, the TNK production had it all! Now the chance for more IS GONE...

Most of you act like only art had changed. Can’t you see that EVERY SINGLE THING (except VA) is different? IT IS NOT THE HIGH SCHOOL DXD ANYMORE. It is just some random, poorly executed near-hentai anime with no taste, no ambition to be something else, resembling every other sh*t on the market. It’s simplified to the fullest, every aspect, and the art is just the tip of an iceberg. It only happens to pretend to be a continuation of a flawless (again, that’s indeed my opinion) series. No one seem to notice here that it doesn’t take just random group of people to adaptate such a story and build a complexed piece of work. And for f* sake, there is nothing more frustrating in the world!

I am a deeply grieving man that I’ve never thought any material thing (or its lack) could turn me into. I fell like it will never stop, at least not until everything gets back to the way it was. Which will most probably be never. Now I can’t even enjoy my beer time, because I am constantly contemplating “why did it went so wrong and nobody sees it?”. I’ve never even imagined this whole situation with changing studios could happen. I was blindly believieng that we will get another brilliant season from TNK.

As much as I love Ichibumi for bringing DxD alive, I so much more hate him for his typical human pride weakness and getting back on TNK (and in result fans like me - I believe I am not alone) by taking the series from them. Certainly there was a way to fix it, they could’ve resolve their issues, nothing was broken to the point of no return. Well, now it is. Considering all this, I wish the season 4 never happened. This way we could still hope for a return of rightful heir from TNK. Even if we had to wait years more. Because now we didn’t get a continuation, but a very weak reboot. I feel uterly, mercilessly BETRAYED. And what frustrates even more is the fact that I seem to be in a minority. Why are most of you so OK with all that? Are you blind or is something very wrong with me? I am shocked seeing the average of 7,60.

One of my dearest friend is gone. Some strange people take him out of the grave and insolently try to revive him, telling that everything is all right. IT’S A MOST PAINFUL THING TO SEE. And I hope it stops...

P.S. No matter how delusional this sounds, if I could make any difference, by money or anything in the world, to make it go back to the way it was, I would. Now I feel like it’s my only goal. I am just a simple, meaningless western man. But if I ever needed a reason to change it, I just got it. I can’t live in a world where High School DxD is being slaughtered like that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 30, 2018 3:57 PM
Apr 2018
Totalmente de acuerdo, yo crecí con este anime, no se si recuerdas uno de los capitulos finales de la tercera temporada, cuando hace el juggeraut drive, fue de lo mas épico que habia visto en mi vida y viendo el primer cap de hero fue mucha decepción... Si que es verdad que se adapta mas a la LN, pero hay que diferenciar entre la adaptacion de tv/pc y de las novelas... Y tienes razon en que le faltan detalles, me he fijado en la mirada de cuando Asia "muere" y madremia.. En los momentos serios parece que estén contentos. En mi opinión, llevaba muchisimo tiempo esperando a que saliese y ha sido una decepción total, no es lo que era antes, parece un anime para críos..
Apr 30, 2018 4:53 PM
Mar 2018
I agree with almost everything you said except that I suspect our minority is a lot larger than you think. A lot of us just quit after the 1st episode, too grieved to talk about it. I really empathize with your disappointment in this - season 4 was the death of hope, sigh. Anyone else feel like every female character in this 'wonderfully' re-animated zombie has exactly the same chin? When I watched season 1 the first time and got to the scene where Rias looked down from the window I was hooked. Alas, she no longer exists . . . everything and everyone unique to DxD has died. R.I.P. old friend. Whats left to us is just another mediocre harem anime that will end unmissed after 1 season.
Apr 30, 2018 6:34 PM
Apr 2018

Such depth of field, much detail.

Yes, it's not using that dark shading tone. Guess what, DxD is an optimistic story in which love, friendship and children trust win the way. It has some occasional tragedy/drama for flavor, but what exactly made the darker tone necessary outside of your preference?

Oh, let not forget the story so far took place in places with very well-lit condition.
It's not like Hero can't dark tone the scene when necessary. Because as seen in the example above, Hero Rias standing in a shade had darker tone than Rias in S1e12.

Rias is not Rias anymore blah blah. Who died and made the anime design some kind of unviolable primary canon?

Unknown in their eyes... Yeah we are getting in the field of subjective imagination here.

They changed it (LN to TNK) because the LN designer did not work on the anime. Now they changed it because TNK and the author had a falling out and theh can't reused the design. It's business as usual.

It's as simple as this: you hate the art so much? Quit watching it. No one is forcing you to watch it.

You can go rewatch TNK version and may be write up your imagination of how that masterpiece should end, nobody is taking that from you. Why the fish are you torturing yourself and then complain? Are you M?

If you hope the author will switch back if you nagged enough, he won't. He and TNK fell out and according to his blog post, he's happy with Hero, and most sign indicates JP fans care more about the fact that TNK s3 butchered the story.
RiverliaApr 30, 2018 6:52 PM
Apr 30, 2018 10:32 PM
Aug 2013
I see that many people compare the art work of TNK and Passionate without even watching the full season first.

That is just disappointing but also understanding from an objective perspective.

Japanese fans are happy with the artwork from what i gather in forums so far.

So as DxD fans lets hope for more DxD seasons in 2019 or 2020.

I am still waiting for at least season 5 to finish the arc story and watch an animate version of volumes 11 and 12.

Lets just support the unique DxD light novels.

DxD Forever
Apr 30, 2018 11:33 PM
Apr 2018
I share your
enougher said:
I normally don’t feel the need to talk about such things publicly. But this is absolutely the time to speak.

It’s been several days now since I’ve watched first two episodes of Hero. Then I started reading comments and reviews, here and there, and I just cannot believe how far different my view is from the most of people.

To begin with, I need to underline that I am not a LN fan as I have not read it yet, I probably will some day. I started with an anime, then moved to reading manga. And I am freakin glad it went that way, because High School DxD anime is one of the best things that ever hapenned to me. I cannot live without it and certainly won’t live without it. I rewatch the whole series every year, with the greatest feeling of satisfaction and a huge hunger for more (for the record - no fapping, not even thinking about it...).

DxD Hero:
Rias is not Rias (!).
Xenovia is not Xenovia.
Asia - what the hell?!
Koneko is not sexy anymore. Actually, no one is sexy anymore. But hey, everyone is insanely busty instead, let’s celebrate!
The colors are riculously washed out. There is NO DEPTH in the scenes at all, no details. Why would you like it, I am clueless. Maybe the “better animation” that is so praised everywhere I look. Well, good animation is for nothing, when what is being animated is crap.
The OP and the song itself is getting good reviews. Sure, it is pretty decent, but it sure as hell doesn’t fit here. It sounds like every other OP song you can hear in any anonymous series. SylipS and the others where doing such an excellent job, literally every song from previous seasons was distinctive and totally corresponding to the series. It was 100% customized for DxD, not to mention that in some of them even the cast took part, what was unbelievably cute. On the other hand, the ED from Hero is totally out of place, with endless, bright sun (palms, seriously?) and vulgar car washing. I admit, in the previous seasons sometimes there was too much nudity in EDs, but they were subtle (in comparison), somewhat sophisticated and very characteristic. This one could end any harem series, just swap the faces. And I literally feel raped after listening this wildly fast beat. It's just garbage.

Someone somwehere said that only 3 first seasons will preserve as “canonical” and they are the only true adaptation of DxD. He was severly laughed for this words. But guess what - he couldn’t be more RIGHT. The majority of people complain about the dissonance between the LN story and the plot. Really, tell me, wouldn’t you all be glad to get another tastefull season from geniuses (yes, that’s indeed my opinion) from TNK with getting back to the LN story? They just added/changed some content, that may or may not be superb/lame, but is it really the reason to cruelly burn and spit on their whole legacy? The plot mistakes could be easily fixed. Are some minor changes really the reason to give it all up and turn the whole production (which had its strong position, style and concept) to the small studio with no real achievements and huge chance of failure? Well, you tell me. But still, people generally sound pretty satisfied with the way it is... again, totally clueless.

What is more, most of you praise the universe for getting another season, no matter how it looks or how it feels. Another season of DxD, yay, let’s be totally gullible, we’re in luck! I don’t understand it at all. It seems that almost all that matters for most of people is the plot, and how the anime looks is literally just a matter of getting used to. Why not get used to some other ecchi series then? Or, a simple question, why do you need DxD anime at all? Why not stick to LN only? Are you watching it because you are bored? Or really, is it the fapping? I watched it because I loved it. For the trully unique atmosphere, for the great, adequate art (yes, great art, even in BorN) and exceptionally tasteful fan service. And music! God, the music... This all together used to take me to another, better place, in which I could stay eternally.
Hell, the TNK production had it all! Now the chance for more IS GONE...

Most of you act like only art had changed. Can’t you see that EVERY SINGLE THING (except VA) is different? IT IS NOT THE HIGH SCHOOL DXD ANYMORE. It is just some random, poorly executed near-hentai anime with no taste, no ambition to be something else, resembling every other sh*t on the market. It’s simplified to the fullest, every aspect, and the art is just the tip of an iceberg. It only happens to pretend to be a continuation of a flawless (again, that’s indeed my opinion) series. No one seem to notice here that it doesn’t take just random group of people to adaptate such a story and build a complexed piece of work. And for f* sake, there is nothing more frustrating in the world!

I am a deeply grieving man that I’ve never thought any material thing (or its lack) could turn me into. I fell like it will never stop, at least not until everything gets back to the way it was. Which will most probably be never. Now I can’t even enjoy my beer time, because I am constantly contemplating “why did it went so wrong and nobody sees it?”. I’ve never even imagined this whole situation with changing studios could happen. I was blindly believieng that we will get another brilliant season from TNK.

As much as I love Ichibumi for bringing DxD alive, I so much more hate him for his typical human pride weakness and getting back on TNK (and in result fans like me - I believe I am not alone) by taking the series from them. Certainly there was a way to fix it, they could’ve resolve their issues, nothing was broken to the point of no return. Well, now it is. Considering all this, I wish the season 4 never happened. This way we could still hope for a return of rightful heir from TNK. Even if we had to wait years more. Because now we didn’t get a continuation, but a very weak reboot. I feel uterly, mercilessly BETRAYED. And what frustrates even more is the fact that I seem to be in a minority. Why are most of you so OK with all that? Are you blind or is something very wrong with me? I am shocked seeing the average of 7,60.

One of my dearest friend is gone. Some strange people take him out of the grave and insolently try to revive him, telling that everything is all right. IT’S A MOST PAINFUL THING TO SEE. And I hope it stops...

P.S. No matter how delusional this sounds, if I could make any difference, by money or anything in the world, to make it go back to the way it was, I would. Now I feel like it’s my only goal. I am just a simple, meaningless western man. But if I ever needed a reason to change it, I just got it. I can’t live in a world where High School DxD is being slaughtered like that.

I share your pain i would always prefer the designs and art of the first three seasons even though when i watched the first episode of Hero i didn't find it that bad that mature feel look of rias and akene gone,poof. Unfortunately it's not up to us(fans outside of japan) to influence how dxd should be. If the japanese fans wanted the art style to remain ichibumi might have swallowed his pride and stick with tnk but alas they prefer the story being followed than butchered while being contend with the new artstyle.
May 1, 2018 12:07 AM
Apr 2018
Despite refuting those homebrew prophecies of doom, it's not like I really hate TNK design, I just don't consider them some sacred building block for the franchise. The reason I defend Hero so far? It showed better promise of handling future content so far.

People keep saying to return to TNK. But can TNK even animate the kind of fight required for volume 9-12 or beyond?
There's a lot of large scale battle there, the amount of action is far higher than previous volume and many of them include several participants coordinating against a single strong target, not each person handling a corner of the field like before.

TNK animation when it come to action in the last 3 seasons hadn't been stellar, to say the least. Season 1 had the nice transformation and ok-ish out of armor action for it time, but ultimately the exciting moments were extremely short and the rest was just so so. Season 2 is where they started to show sign of being unable to catch up, substituting the battle of Issei vs Vali with two bolts of light clashing and semi-still + cut away to simulate action white animate the armors moving the least possible, which was underwhelming even if still bearable. Born actions scenes had me face palming all the time and I literally gave up before the Rias fight.

If volume 9-10 was done by TNK, what would we see? Light bolts clashing festival?
RiverliaMay 1, 2018 12:17 AM
May 1, 2018 12:14 AM
Jan 2018
Yea it will never go back to TNK . Season 3 isn't cannon.. TNK fucked up there chance . By completely shitting on the story and not following the actual source. as the main audience is Japan how the hell did they think changing the story would be ok now they know that they made the wrong choice and lost alot of sales and lost one of there main series that was making them money and its too late for them to redeem themselves.
Mattinator95May 1, 2018 12:34 AM
May 1, 2018 12:43 AM
Jan 2018
Riverlia said:

Such depth of field, much detail.

Yes, it's not using that dark shading tone. Guess what, DxD is an optimistic story in which love, friendship and children trust win the way. It has some occasional tragedy/drama for flavor, but what exactly made the darker tone necessary outside of your preference?

Oh, let not forget the story so far took place in places with very well-lit condition.
It's not like Hero can't dark tone the scene when necessary. Because as seen in the example above, Hero Rias standing in a shade had darker tone than Rias in S1e12.

Rias is not Rias anymore blah blah. Who died and made the anime design some kind of unviolable primary canon?

Unknown in their eyes... Yeah we are getting in the field of subjective imagination here.

They changed it (LN to TNK) because the LN designer did not work on the anime. Now they changed it because TNK and the author had a falling out and theh can't reused the design. It's business as usual.

It's as simple as this: you hate the art so much? Quit watching it. No one is forcing you to watch it.

You can go rewatch TNK version and may be write up your imagination of how that masterpiece should end, nobody is taking that from you. Why the fish are you torturing yourself and then complain? Are you M?

If you hope the author will switch back if you nagged enough, he won't. He and TNK fell out and according to his blog post, he's happy with Hero, and most sign indicates JP fans care more about the fact that TNK s3 butchered the story.

I agree . No point complaining it won't ever change back. TNK fucked up a they know it. They lost there main source of Income and in doubt they would be able to pull of vol 9 and 10 . And the fact that he said it would be easy to fix and put the story back on track with TNK is just naive they would of lost more money then gained . Switching studio was probly the best choice
May 1, 2018 1:00 AM
Apr 2018
Mattinator95 said:

I agree . No point complaining it won't ever change back. TNK fucked up a they know it. They lost there main source of Income and in doubt they would be able to pull of vol 9 and 10 . And the fact that he said it would be easy to fix and put the story back on track with TNK is just naive they would of lost more money then gained . Switching studio was probly the best choice

AFAIK, the thing with TNK is not that they can't fix it but the director in charge of DxD project doesn't want to fix it. He pushed for the butchering despite the author advising otherwise. Blaming entire TNK is probably a bit generalizing but the guy in charge of the project wasn't exactly smart AFAIK. DxD art was from the designer and story was from Ishibumi, what part of its success was from him to feel all smug about? His execution wasn't exactly stellar and I'm still salty about Asia death scene in season 1 being ruined by out of place focus on her boob, a death person's boob, instead of Issei's pain of losing a good friend. Were they appealing to the necrophilia crowd or what?

That said, from season 2 and 3, it could be seen that they didn't invest that much capital into animating DxD despite it being their best bread winner of that period (not sure about now, they might have succeeded with another project or not? I dunno, I don't keep track of all the new anime).
RiverliaMay 1, 2018 1:21 AM
May 1, 2018 3:20 AM
Jan 2018
Riverlia said:
Mattinator95 said:

AFAIK, the thing with TNK is not that they can't fix it but the director in charge of DxD project doesn't want to fix it. He pushed for the butchering despite the author advising otherwise. Blaming entire TNK is probably a bit generalizing but the guy in charge of the project wasn't exactly smart AFAIK. DxD art was from the designer and story was from Ishibumi, what part of its success was from him to feel all smug about? His execution wasn't exactly stellar and I'm still salty about Asia death scene in season 1 being ruined by out of place focus on her boob, a death person's boob, instead of Issei's pain of losing a good friend. Were they appealing to the necrophilia crowd or what?

That said, from season 2 and 3, it could be seen that they didn't invest that much capital into animating DxD despite it being their best bread winner of that period (not sure about now, they might have succeeded with another project or not? I dunno, I don't keep track of all the new anime).

I don't think TNK have actually had any others series apart from the seven mortal sins which tanked
May 1, 2018 5:42 AM

Apr 2008
What an absolute overblown diatribe of nonsense. DxD was never dark. You fell for a pathetic embelishment on TNK's side. Geniuses? Hahahahaha keep living in that delusional fairy tale then.
May 1, 2018 8:14 AM
Jan 2018
Darklight0303 said:
What an absolute overblown diatribe of nonsense. DxD was never dark. You fell for a pathetic embelishment on TNK's side. Geniuses? Hahahahaha keep living in that delusional fairy tale then.

TNK are more like idiots and got to arrgont for there own good . In the end they lost a big source of Income and someone told me that they refused to fix there mistake.they probly would have lost more money then gained as the LN readers probley wouldn't support it after what happend with season 3 so changing studio was the best outcome
May 1, 2018 10:28 AM

Jul 2015
I will agree that I liked Gotou Junji's designs a billion times better. Rias and Akeno and every female don't feel or look mature. Rias and Akeno look like they could be Issei's classmates and takes away from the whole "onee-san" they're supposed to be.
May 1, 2018 11:07 AM

Nov 2008
Another piece of shit discussion where the haters can flock to and bitch about moan again.

Thank god, these hating ass clowns are a very small majority.

Also in MY OPINION, your not a true fan if you can't except the new art and animation and its MORE CLOSER to the novels.

Not to mention there are other anime with changed art and animation, like Fairy Tail, Sailor
Moon, Dragon Ball and Love Hina and they turned out good
HollowIchigo58May 1, 2018 11:11 AM
May 1, 2018 12:41 PM

Jun 2017
I don't get the hate lol, this series was never 8-9 tier to begin with. It's a solid 7 for entertrainment and I am glad we got a new season so I can enjoy some more boobs while there is some plot in the background xD.
May 1, 2018 1:30 PM

Sep 2014
I was about to write something really long, but seeing this is posted from an alt account I truly can't be bothered to write as much if it's a simple provocation with no more posts guaranteed. I will keep it short.

You're either trolling or being completely fucking delusional to take Hero as a completely different show than what came before it.

Even if you don't like the new designs (that's fine really, although I personally think they are straight out improvements for almost everyone, and Asia is definitely a strict upgrade - before she didn't feel like the character she was) they are far from being severe enough to warrant such a reaction, lol.

The remarks about lack of details or 'washed out colours' are outright untrue. Like what the hell?
And I don't see any point in dividing fanservice into tasteful and not, or even making stupid claims that somehow hero is more about tits (not that it's anything negative, but whatever) than before, when from the very first episode, DxD was a show with a significant focus on that aspect. And really, somehow the insignificant glass washing in ending animation is worse and more vulgar than pole dancing from the first ending? Or less tasteful than the tentacle-plant thingy from the OVA? Really?
If you have some problems with 'distasteful' nudity or stuff like that, you shouldn't be watching DxD to begin with, and I wonder how you got to love the previous season when they did the exact same thing.

Yes, people care about the plot, the myth-fantasy setting was there from the start, it was always heavy on the shonen side of things as well. No wonder people get pissed when the fucking STUPID shit at the end of BorN happens, especially if they actually read the LN and see it as both stupid idea AND butchering of source. What I'm personally baffled by is that you and so many people are surprisingly okay with such a retarded turn of events lol, so incosistent with everything that came before it.

Anyway, Hero is mostly viewed positively because:
-people, LN watchers or not, aren't fucking delusional like you, and even if they don't like the news designs, they don't treat this as a whole different show (because it isn't, despite you trying to present it as such) and enjoy the new season
-others like the new designs, which are really good
-LN readers, and people who just realize the born events were idiotic, are happy that it got sort of retconned

I, as a long fan of DxD, am overjoyed with how Hero turned out, despite (at first, with announcements and stuff) being worried about the visual overhaul. It looks great, is better animated, especially in the moments it matters, continues to follow the events of LN I like so much. I also loved TNK's adaptation, that's what got me into DxD to begin with, but the truth is, they fucked up with born. It is a shame, really, but stuff happens.
In any case, there is zero reason to lose your shit over the change like this, and somehow pretend that the whole anime changed just because of the different artstyle.
ImaishiMay 1, 2018 1:39 PM
May 1, 2018 1:56 PM

Mar 2014
OP, DXD was allways a silly ecchi show, his fanservice was never "smart", like, for example Kill la Kill, Penguimdrum or Bakemonogatari. Issei got power upgrade against Vali in S2 end by being tricked into believing that his enemy wanted to make boobs around the world smaller, not so serious or smarty, mkay? Or that filler episode with the slime destroying girls clothes. Or tentacle OVA. Or how the walking gag Dress Break playing as a serious move to lower the enemy guard more than once in the rating game of S1. The wash the car ED is nothing, remember the cassino-style first ending, with Koneko shaking her loli butt into you eyes?

Oh, and it's artsyle was never something truly unique, just about okay-ish to good, budget was indeed consistent.

It's okay to be weirded out by the sudden changes, I admit the new palette color pattern is a little too bright for my tastes, but that's all about it.

Oh, Asia and Koneko actually are hotter in this way, I dare to say. Rias and Akeno are indeed a downgrade (mostly their hair and eyes), but again, that's about it.

You can drop and stay with H-doujins+fanarts of danbooru/pixiv, or then start to read the LN (mentalizing the TNK style in your mind) if the Pretty ColorsTM are definitely not any pretty for you anymore.
FabrisMay 1, 2018 2:03 PM
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
May 1, 2018 3:30 PM
Apr 2018
Not to answer every single post, as it's probably pointless and opens discussion with no end, I think Fabris, despite trying to be asshole harsh with "silly ecchi show" words (in some way they all are, that's not the point here) said one smart thing about sticking for the rest of stuff now. For me, as I'm studying Japanese, the drama CDs are now a blessing.

As for Mattinator, getting some random shots from totally random scenes - not the key to prove anything, buddy.

Fairy Tail quite debatable, but Dragon Bal turned out good, really? Sailor Moon turned out good? Wow, we really live in soooo much different worlds.

To end this annoying, for some of you, "moaning", call me a no fan or a delusional moron, don't really care. Just shared my pain with several people who gets it and it's somewhat comforting.

May 1, 2018 7:37 PM
Oct 2017
The studio doesn’t give a shit whether or not you like it, most Japanese fans HATED season 3 because the quality took a massive nosedive and the last 3 episodes weren’t even cannon, the author himself had a massive falling out with the studio and changed studios to passions because of this. He himself supervised the production of this and chose these designs since they are more like the LNs, TNK wouldn’t have been able to pull off the battle scenes that will happen soon anyway. Overall the style allows for smoother animation which if you weren’t so biased you would have noticed the massive increase in fluidity compared to the last three season’s battle scenes.
May 1, 2018 7:51 PM
May 2018
Im mad at what im watching
May 1, 2018 11:10 PM

Sep 2017
Nah its great there more detail and shading is way better. From Japanese forums they seem to think so as well
May 1, 2018 11:58 PM

Oct 2011
Dude, the change in character personality you are talking about is exactly from the changes by TNK - in the novel DxD has always been a DBZ-like anime with boobs powering up the main character instead of friendship. Boobs also are used as a plot device to turn any serious situation upside down on its head. The greatness of the novels comes from that paradox, and the hentai-ness was never the main point of DxD. It only became like that in the anime because especially in season 3 TNK made boobs the only point of the show and they even skipped some super epic fight scenes and meaningful moments.

As for the sizes - as the novel progresses Issei often notes how the boobs of the girls around him are growing larger, especially Asya's, so aside from their personalities developing (after being saved by Issei, Koneko's personality changes a lot, it's called "character development", not "inconsistency"), so does their breast size. It's not something the studio came up on its own, it's following the source material.

Too lazy to write as much as the OP, otherwise there are plenty more counterpoints to the OP's lame rant

May 2, 2018 12:00 AM

Jul 2013
Mate, DxD has always sucked.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 2, 2018 3:53 AM
Apr 2018
High School DxD is not so "Dark" as you watched it in previous seasons where TNK supervised it, DxD has a been always a "Lighthearted" in terms of Atmosphere and Other things in the Light Novel... You watched TNK's Version of DxD so that "Dark" leave an impression to you so as you read the Manga version of it, The "Dark atmosphere" doesn't leave you, It's just your mind are working like the "Placebo Effect" bro...

If you think that the failure of Season can be fixed with the same studio who made that Season... You're wrong about that, why? because they butchered some main points of the original story line.

Things that Season 3(BorN) Butchered:
- Rias' Peerage VS Sona's Peerage (Rating Game)
- Akeno's mini arc that should be more dramatic than that "Bed Scene" in season 3... meh...
- Chichigami's seirei and Issei's conversation and The Otherworld Gods existence come to light. (During Loki Arc)
- Issei and Vali VS Loki and Fenrir (But in anime... it turned out to Rias Group and Sona's Group VS Loki)
- Hero Faction's Disturbances
- Issei and Rias relationship

By making Ophis lifting up the curse of Reynare on Issei and Doing some Curses of Loki on Issei and Rias in the last few episodes of BorN was a mistake that pissed off the author and the Japanese LN Fans so the changed in studio is a right decision to make or else... The sales on the Light Novel will dropped because the JP fans are getting pissed off, especially that Director in TNK refused to make some changes and wants to continue that BUTCHERED SEASON. So yeah... Ishibumi had enough and decides to change all the staff and made a contract to Passione.

About the art style, Light Novel and The NEW Season are really identical in some points and Ishibumi is so happy about this...

Image 1: Light Novel Volume 10
Image 2: High School DxD HerO

As a LN reader... I'm happy they follow the latest art style in the LN finally! Yeah... I Love High School DxD!

INFERNAL_FURYMay 2, 2018 4:00 AM
May 2, 2018 4:21 AM

Jan 2011
Riverlia said:
Despite refuting those homebrew prophecies of doom, it's not like I really hate TNK design, I just don't consider them some sacred building block for the franchise. The reason I defend Hero so far? It showed better promise of handling future content so far.

People keep saying to return to TNK. But can TNK even animate the kind of fight required for volume 9-12 or beyond?
There's a lot of large scale battle there, the amount of action is far higher than previous volume and many of them include several participants coordinating against a single strong target, not each person handling a corner of the field like before.

TNK animation when it come to action in the last 3 seasons hadn't been stellar, to say the least. Season 1 had the nice transformation and ok-ish out of armor action for it time, but ultimately the exciting moments were extremely short and the rest was just so so. Season 2 is where they started to show sign of being unable to catch up, substituting the battle of Issei vs Vali with two bolts of light clashing and semi-still + cut away to simulate action white animate the armors moving the least possible, which was underwhelming even if still bearable. Born actions scenes had me face palming all the time and I literally gave up before the Rias fight.

If volume 9-10 was done by TNK, what would we see? Light bolts clashing festival?

Honestly, the quality of fight scenes are a lot better than most LNs period. Like literally the endgame battle in some animes are way below the spar between Issei and dude bro in episode 1. It times the new style takes some time getting used to but to be real I pretty much tuned out the whole cast aside from Rias. I'm only displeased by the limited nudity they've released of her so far. But perhaps I was spoiled by the fact I could reliability rub one out in shows like Valkyrie Drive. I don't think I did so with DXD until season 3.
May 2, 2018 5:10 AM
Sep 2014
High quality pretentious bullshit. Also you said you aren't a LN reader so you are most definitely not the targeted audience which makes your opinions(!) irrelevant.
May 2, 2018 5:13 AM

Jan 2018
I don't care about these small stuffs as long as plot is interesting.
May 2, 2018 1:02 PM

Jan 2011
Dephree said:
High quality pretentious bullshit. Also you said you aren't a LN reader so you are most definitely not the targeted audience which makes your opinions(!) irrelevant.

And how do you know thier targeted audience?
May 3, 2018 1:54 AM
Apr 2018
QWERTYFish25 said:
Dephree said:

The production staffs said that as well as Ishibumi, so that the fiasco that happened in S3 which the LN Japanese fans got pissed off can enjoy the show without having any concerns about what happened in Season 3. Based on my accumulated info.
INFERNAL_FURYMay 3, 2018 2:01 AM
May 3, 2018 2:22 AM
Apr 2018
INFERNAL_FURY said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

The production staffs said that as well as Ishibumi, so that the fiasco that happened in S3 which the LN Japanese fans got pissed off can enjoy the show without having any concerns about what happened in Season 3. Based on my accumulated info.

From the flash back and some other scenes that they do. Yeah they ditch the abomination of ss3 =))

The Siri match might happened
The Loki match will go as the LN since "Dragon King mode" by Saji and the flash back before ep 3.
May 3, 2018 3:00 AM

Aug 2016
You should read the LN. I wasn't a LN fan either until I gave it a try with dxd and I bet you that youll enjoy it more than any of the anime.

As for this season... give it some more time. More exciting things are to come.
May 3, 2018 5:13 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Riverlia said:

THANK YOU

My god people, can't we all agree that TNK's animation was only sub-par at best? The fight scenes, artistically speaking looked nice, but in motion it's garbage compared to other shounen action series out there today.
May 3, 2018 5:56 AM

Oct 2013
enougher said:
Rias is not Rias (!).
Xenovia is not Xenovia.
Asia - what the hell?!
The characters I like aren't the same anymore bla bla bla
and my bases off this is because the character design changed despite their personalities are the same in terms of where the story takes place

Odin honestly anime fans look at the most surface level of detail for things when it comes to characters and not the whole character. Its like saying the characters in Hayate aren't the same people because the art design changes from season to season
Stop looking at the most surface level of detail and you'll see nothing has truly changed except art and music which is the least important
DeknijffMay 3, 2018 5:59 AM
May 3, 2018 6:06 AM

Feb 2017
I swear, some people will just never be happy. Passione has done well to improve the series in a bunch of ways.
The fights haven't been this artistically interesting since the very very best of TNK's season 1 and 2 stuff. And we haven't even gotten to any important action scenes yet.
Passione gives us an extra prologue episode to try and limit the confusion, something that I'm sure they didn't HAVE to do.
Passione adds in little details each episode to further address and fix s3's mistakes, and give context to future plot points without being overbearing about it.

But what these ungrateful people do?

Bitch about how the faces aren't as expressive artistically as the old character designs.
Moan about how much they miss the studio that almost killed DxD as an anime with its poorly done third season.
Wear nostalgia glasses and act like most of the action shots weren't devolving into still key frames with TNK at the helm.
Worst of all, they backlash at Ishibumi and get mad he didn't sell out and watch his creation be ran into the ground by a studio who forgot that DxD was the only real thing it had going for them.

It's even more sad when you realize that Japanese viewers (yanno, the people that matter the most out of viewership) also could see the writing on the wall, and were calling for changes to be made too. It's only these select few fans who refuse to accept that DxD has changed (for the better). The only thing that TNK did for this anime that a different studio couldn't do is add in extra fanservice, for better or for worse. But they'll have you think TNK had DxD on the brink of greatness.
May 3, 2018 9:04 AM
Feb 2018
I think I won't complain about the style, even though I would prefer the old one. But I think this season is pretty good, considering the plot was intact from the original light novel.
May 3, 2018 2:19 PM

Dec 2014
So much discussion about one of the most braindead anime I've ever seen. I know that ecchi was never supposed to use logic but damn, to completely destroy whole plot(which could be even interesting when norse mythology came in) because of this stupid "boobs power-up" during fights?

They should just do full-legal hentai instead so maybe we could see anime with actual plot in this season.
May 4, 2018 3:41 PM
Jan 2017
For one reason this guy is kind of pissing me off..
May 4, 2018 6:19 PM
Aug 2013
Whatever art old or new DxD is still special to me

I hoping for many more DxD seasons in 2019 or 2020

DxD forever
May 5, 2018 12:53 AM
Jan 2018
XD he wasted his time writing something that will never happen. TNK relationship with the creater is over . And the author has said he will never work with them again .
May 5, 2018 6:09 AM
Apr 2018
Mattinator95 said:
XD he wasted his time writing something that will never happen. TNK relationship with the creater is over . And the author has said he will never work with them again .
Yep... You're right... Every author will get angry if their creation got destroyed after someone "Borrow" it from them.
May 11, 2018 10:06 PM
Apr 2018
The art style is pathetic. Legit, they look like zombies bra, ain’t no titty fest gonna salvage this now. Expressionless. The serious aspect, and the mysterious aspect to the series is up in flames. This is definitely not da wae, my bruddas.

The art style for High School DxD Heroes is awful, it's some of the most pathetic doodling I've ever seen. It resembles something a high schooler in North America would draw in an attempt to recreate anime characters. Though, the camera work is better, with emphasis on actions. Despite that, I would rather Studio TNK return. My eyes have been vilified at this trash. Unbelievable!

They just copied Railwars, which was another anime of their patronage! OMG RIAS IS THE SAME AS THE REDHEAD IN RAILWAYS! :( WHAT??

So people are telling me that Rias in the LN is the splitting image of that red head in Railways? Hell no, the light novel Rias is a masterpiece compared to what we were given on screen. Don’t try to pull the wool over the non LN readers’ eyes. This is a shit job.

Everybody has a sharp chin, like a ghoul or a witch. So ugly, when the camera pans out, you can no longer see any definition, their faces become dough. Even when the camera is in their face, there’s a huge a huge lack of detail. They cut corners in every cel. If the author really wanted to preserve the integrity of the work, why not use Studio Deen? They know how to nail cute and interesting look at この素晴らしい異世界。

The Dragon of Dragons suddenly became an off-handed doodle, instead of being the epic 2.5D beast he was in TNK s3 E9. As soon as I saw the dragon, I knew dxd took a nose dive. Even the king of dragons Asazel' friend looked sad and nimble.

I also noticed a huge lack of fan-service.

Quite frankly, the TNK way to solve the incomplete juggernaut drive was more interesting than the titty bar tune, TNK gave the series a varied spectrum of emotions, I was tearing up with the way they portrayed the loss of Asia, and how Issei legitimately lost it. I was sympathizing with his character when he was locked in the juggernaut drive, and in turmoil, and his exchange with Vali was super cool.

Now Vali has ギリギリ jeans that show the top of his crotch, and when they zoomed away from him it looked like he had a vagina. I know the girls complained about a lot of service, but they got a crotch shot! The men never got a crotch shot!

Positives: Action angles were better, sometimes a little too far away.
KazeNoHimitsuMay 11, 2018 11:13 PM
May 12, 2018 1:31 AM

Apr 2008
KazeNoHimitsu said:
The art style is pathetic. Legit, they look like zombies bra, ain’t no titty fest gonna salvage this now. Expressionless. The serious aspect, and the mysterious aspect to the series is up in flames. This is definitely not da wae, my bruddas.

The art style for High School DxD Heroes is awful, it's some of the most pathetic doodling I've ever seen. It resembles something a high schooler in North America would draw in an attempt to recreate anime characters. Though, the camera work is better, with emphasis on actions. Despite that, I would rather Studio TNK return. My eyes have been vilified at this trash. Unbelievable!

They just copied Railwars, which was another anime of their patronage! OMG RIAS IS THE SAME AS THE REDHEAD IN RAILWAYS! :( WHAT??

So people are telling me that Rias in the LN is the splitting image of that red head in Railways? Hell no, the light novel Rias is a masterpiece compared to what we were given on screen. Don’t try to pull the wool over the non LN readers’ eyes. This is a shit job.

Everybody has a sharp chin, like a ghoul or a witch. So ugly, when the camera pans out, you can no longer see any definition, their faces become dough. Even when the camera is in their face, there’s a huge a huge lack of detail. They cut corners in every cel. If the author really wanted to preserve the integrity of the work, why not use Studio Deen? They know how to nail cute and interesting look at この素晴らしい異世界。

The Dragon of Dragons suddenly became an off-handed doodle, instead of being the epic 2.5D beast he was in TNK s3 E9. As soon as I saw the dragon, I knew dxd took a nose dive. Even the king of dragons Asazel' friend looked sad and nimble.

Quite frankly, the TNK way to solve the incomplete juggernaut drive was more interesting than the titty bar tune, TNK gave the series a varied spectrum of emotions, I was tearing up with the way they portrayed the loss of Asia, and how Issei legitimately lost it. I was sympathizing with his character when he was locked in the juggernaut drive, and in turmoil, and his exchange with Vali was super cool.

Now Vali has ギリギリ jeans that show the top of his crotch, and when they zoomed away from him it looked like he had a vagina. I know the girls complained about a lot of service, but they got a crotch shot! The men never got a crotch shot!

Not a single word you spoke is true and the preorders for the BD's are already selling lot hotcakes over in japan where the deciding audience is. So keep trying to pathetically act like a couch critic. It will do you so much good. Action angles were better? Oh you mean trashy stuff like this?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/highschooldxd/images/2/24/Rossweisse_decimating_the_enemies.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150517013546 this is for the larger version so you can see more up close just how utterly trash the animation was in previous seasons. TNK can't animate to save their life

BIG red was just a static jpg sliding across the screen in BORN. You have no argument whatsoever.
Darklight0303May 12, 2018 7:23 AM
May 12, 2018 2:18 AM
Apr 2018
KazeNoHimitsu said:

No comment on your preference for semi-still + cutaway or lightbolt clashing tier action animation... but here's a recommendation course of action: quit viewing DxD Hero and go fap with previous seasons so you can bask in the glory of what perfectly fit your taste.

I mean it's totally not up to your elitist preference of static action and the brand of derp face is just totally wrong! Why are you torturing yourself? Poor guy. (TヘT)

May 12, 2018 8:41 AM
Apr 2018
I'm glad that more and more anime only drop this anime =3=

PLS don't show up when new eps air.

Cause that make you an M that like to be hurt to feel good =3=.
May 12, 2018 8:57 AM
Jan 2018
Lazy_watcher said:

Exactly. LN fans know how to truly appericate what the series is . And understands that is not all just pointless echhi like most animes have. But not all anime onlys are same.
May 12, 2018 9:59 AM
Apr 2018
Mattinator95 said:
Lazy_watcher said:

Exactly. LN fans know how to truly appericate what the series is . And understands that is not all just pointless echhi like most animes have. But not all anime onlys are same.

Not all anime fan but only those filthy casual anime only (lol) that blindly follow their nostalgia.

let not say about the story, but SS3 have a very bad pacing if my memories right... but on other hand i don't bother to watch after Loki show up lol.

May 13, 2018 3:52 AM
Apr 2018
KazeNoHimitsu said:

Dude... that episode you're talking about is EPISODE 0 and that episode is just to CORRECT the Juggernaut Drive to the way it has been in the LIGHT NOVEL! I'm sure they only used minimal budget on that one because that scene is just a RETCON and that episode is not the BASIS of this SEASON... And... The Boob tune you are talking about?! That song used also in LN to calm Issei down and has more importance than what happened in the SEASON 3! Before you talk, make sure you research why these thing happened or ask those who read the LN to avoid making yourself an Idiot. *just saying*

About Vali's Design... LN and HerO's Comparison.
INFERNAL_FURYMay 13, 2018 4:05 AM
May 13, 2018 4:55 AM

Apr 2008
INFERNAL_FURY said:
KazeNoHimitsu said:

Dude... that episode you're talking about is EPISODE 0 and that episode is just to CORRECT the Juggernaut Drive to the way it has been in the LIGHT NOVEL! I'm sure they only used minimal budget on that one because that scene is just a RETCON and that episode is not the BASIS of this SEASON... And... The Boob tune you are talking about?! That song used also in LN to calm Issei down and has more importance than what happened in the SEASON 3! Before you talk, make sure you research why these thing happened or ask those who read the LN to avoid making yourself an Idiot. *just saying*

About Vali's Design... LN and HerO's Comparison.

Wow a perfect match. Who would have guessed. Oh right those who wanted this change
May 13, 2018 5:31 PM

Oct 2013
>I need to underline that I am not a LN fan as I have not read it yet
/thread.

_____

Seriously, this season is the best it could have happened to DxD, Passione really put the passion in this, they really made an effort to make it as close as they could to the source material, not being over the top edgy or adding nudity every second.

DxD was always like this: A Shonen-esque novel with a good dose of Fanservice, and some great arcs with good stories, but mostly focused on being a light hearted novel.

The author is a big fan of Super Sentai, Tokusatsu and Gundam..and this season really reflects it, all those missing touches DxD was lacking for seasons.

A world where all mythologies were true and they can connect almost seamlessly.

Issei being not just a pervert, but an Heroic Pervert.

This is the DxD fans deserved from the beginning, and it's more watchable than TNK's seasons.

I still think TNK did a good Job on season 1, it made me read the novels..

but Season 2 greatly diluted Kiba's background and down tiered the final fights.

Season 3 made the Loki fight a Joke and ruined Koneko's arc...the ending was an abomination.

Passione is doing a great job with this new season. I hope anime-only fans can finally learn how funny DxD was supposed to be.

I don't want to sound like an elitist, but really, read the novels, they're not a master piece in storyline...but they're really funny most of the time, while the story can become pretty intense for entire sections.

DxD was never supposed to be "Mature" : laugh at the "infinite", and I grieve at the "dream".
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Highschool DxD season 4 art style

DiamondBaka - Dec 7, 2020

27 by Oongbuh »»
5 hours ago

» Season 5 possibility

Homura24 - Jun 11, 2023

44 by KrishanMCK »»
Mar 29, 7:11 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

74 by ajay173 »»
Mar 8, 1:55 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2018

99 by EngeLxS »»
Feb 20, 3:23 PM

» Season 5 Confirmed???

LoliSenpai0x - Feb 25, 2019

45 by William12259 »»
Jan 18, 4:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.