Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2018 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, the episode was a bit clamer than I had thought until the second half.

I guess tragedy and grim events doesn't ever escape from this series. More rivalres made and storybuilding this episode.
Stark700Apr 30, 2018 9:15 AM
Apr 30, 2018 11:09 AM

Apr 2012
So Rui was really a lesbian? Yes, there is some understatement and weird justification, but it is highly doubtful that her confession was platonic.
Apr 30, 2018 12:02 PM

May 2015
Hmm... just like that with no kind of foreshadowing (maybe I was the only one who didn’t see it) she confessed her love…?

On a side note:
I’m disappointed that the battles by the way things are going are going to be cramped into the final episode(s) instead of spreading them evenly to not give all of the cast (good guys & villains) a moment to shine…
Apr 30, 2018 3:47 PM

Mar 2009
So far, no one has commented on the fact that there is no way that is Oboro.
Unless she and Gennosuke had a "marital" spat in the afterlife and she's now PO'ed at him....
I seriously doubt that, though.
And, I seriously doubt that she'd really say that, at all.
Since she killed herself to keep from killing Gen, and died stating her undying love for him.... Her hatred should be a massive redflag (Though, I also admit, she looks a little older here (maybe that's done to make differentiate her from Hibiki? But they have different hair colors, and Hibiki has that mole, while her mother doesn't have one, different clothes, and hair styles, as well... I didn't notice if they had different eye colors). So maybe some of the suspicious that some users have had, are correct: maybe they did survive a bit longer... Would have had to have been 7-10 years at least, for her to look noticeably older, I think...)

Also.... I'm still waiting on those moles on Hibiki and Hachiru's faces to do something. After the first series (Tenzen Yakushiji).... And because of the moles there, and the fact that there wasn't really time for Oboro and Gen to have babies.... I'm really suspicious of those moles.
I don't trust them at all! They were creepy enough on that nasty Tenzen...

Roy_Focker said:
Hmm... just like that with no kind of foreshadowing (maybe I was the only one who didn’t see it) she confessed her love…?

On a side note:
I’m disappointed that the battles by the way things are going are going to be cramped into the final episode(s) instead of spreading them evenly to not give all of the cast (good guys & villains) a moment to shine…

I didn't see any foreshadowing either. I did see in an early episode discussion someone mentioned Yuri.... But it looked like a normal bathing scene to me....

*Shrugs* Makes about as much sense as everything else in this series...

windeen-windyApr 30, 2018 8:05 PM
Apr 30, 2018 5:38 PM
Apr 2018
Wait when Namenba said to rui "those tears must have put you through a lot" did she mean that rui was child-raped before? That's f*cked up.
Apr 30, 2018 6:27 PM

Mar 2009
Taro666 said:
Wait when Namenba said to rui "those tears must have put you through a lot" did she mean that rui was child-raped before? That's f*cked up.

Yes, it is. Seriously f*¢ked up.
It makes sense, if she was.
Sense for why she was always so nervous around her male friends (I figured she likely had been, anyway, because of how she acted).
Especially when she had to use her powers around the Kouga guys (mainly Shichigen (more than the other guys) for some reason).
Apr 30, 2018 7:03 PM
Apr 2018
windeen-windy said:
Taro666 said:

Sense for why she was always so nervous around her male friends (I figured she likely had been, anyway, because of how she acted).
Especially when she had to use her powers around the Kouga guys (mainly Shichigen (more than the other guys) for some reason).

But remember on the first or second episode when Rui tried to use her technique on that monk guy and he said it won't work because Rui still body of a child. I don't know man i mean, maybe we shouldn't really expect consistencies in this kind of shitty adaptation.

Btw if you read the manga(raw) the girl with the gun was also raped.
Apr 30, 2018 7:55 PM

Mar 2009
Taro666 said:
windeen-windy said:

But remember on the first or second episode when Rui tried to use her technique on that monk guy and he said it won't work because Rui still body of a child. I don't know man i mean, maybe we shouldn't really expect consistencies in this kind of shitty adaptation.

Btw if you read the manga(raw) the girl with the gun was also raped.

I figured that Hachisu had been, also. Mainly from her interactions with the guys, as well.
Though, she frightenedem quite as frightened/uneasy of/around them, as Rui is.
As for that munk- I think it depends on the men's inclination.
Maybe.
My guess is, if they only care that the person is female, then the age or physical attributes (or lack-there-of), wouldn't really matter.
However, if they are interested in a TYPE of female- examples would be:
Very curvy, slightly curvy, younger, older, flat chested, long legged, child, short hair, long hair, pretty, ugly...
Then that might effect how her powers effect them as well.
If its a man interested in other men, I don't know if they would be interested in her, or if they would attack men near them. Her powers haven't really been explained much at all, yet.
Though, as you said: there aren't many consistencies in this adaptation (the biggest being: Hachiru and Hibiki's mere existence, as Oboro and Gennosuke's children).
May 1, 2018 1:04 AM

Apr 2012
@Taro666 @windeen-windy Not necessary. It just said that her pheromones act on those who are into girls, to the point that she constantly hides it, and Namemba "checks" her virginity after the fight. But if Rui is really a lesbian, then this is quite ironic, since judging by past episodes, this does not work for other women, including her supposed love interest.

@Roy_Focker Rui already mentioned in the test for endurance that she "is not interested in men," constantly referring to her prejudices against men and had rather intimate melodramatic dialogues with her best friend. In conjunction with the child abuse in the past, Rui is just a walking cliche storm of yuri hints.

In any case, similar explanations of the yuri route is quite old-fashioned and somewhat homophobic by modern standards, so I personally was more interested in following the dynamics of her relationship with that samurai, they even saved each other in past episodes. But if her confession was not platonic, then I think that yuri is already a future canon.
RobertBobertMay 1, 2018 1:21 AM
May 1, 2018 8:08 AM

Oct 2008
So Rui has gone yuri route with Utsutsu!?!?
So Hibiki (not sure if these are illusions or just her dreams) is seeing Oboro blame all the bad things to Kouga Gennosuke!?
Looks like Gorone finally dispatched with something like a machine!?!?
4/5.

May 1, 2018 4:46 PM

Jan 2016
Finally rui confessed her love, after that bathing, the different manner she acts and talks when is alone with utsutsu and a bunch of other signs became freaking obvious her true feelings, but man ...love confessions before a great battle are a hell of death flag, plz kami dont kill them ;-;
May 2, 2018 10:24 AM

Aug 2014
Im the only one who shipped Rui x Shichigen?
What a plot twist. An undesired one ;____;
May 2, 2018 11:50 PM

Mar 2009
Kairiri said:
Im the only one who shipped Rui x Shichigen?
What a plot twist. An undesired one ;____;

Nope.
I ship them as well.
I said as much a few posts above.
Not thrilled with that confession either.
With my luck, Shichigen will confess to Hachiru next >_<
May 8, 2018 4:32 AM

Jul 2009
VinSykez said:
Finally rui confessed her love, after that bathing, the different manner she acts and talks when is alone with utsutsu and a bunch of other signs became freaking obvious her true feelings, but man ...love confessions before a great battle are a hell of death flag, plz kami dont kill them ;-;

Now that you mention it, I have never noticed it before, now it makes sense...best yuri is the one that you never see coming! I was surprised...and totally ship it!!! But I thought she had a thing for Shichigen, but I guess he teased her a lot and she just trained with him...
May 15, 2018 11:22 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
THe Rui´s origins and how she was "recruited" by Namemba was the most interesting of this episode for me!!!
May 16, 2018 4:30 AM

Jul 2008
Rui's death flags raised sky high.
Nov 10, 2023 8:15 PM

Dec 2022
Definitely not Oboro then. She'd never speak of Gennosuke like that...

Now we've got a lesbian too. This anime has a bit of everything.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 24 Discussion

bisikerim - Aug 8, 2018

7 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 18, 6:41 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 23 Discussion

Archean-Return - Nov 11, 2023

0 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 12:52 PM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 22 Discussion

0 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 10:57 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 21 Discussion

0 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 10:25 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - May 21, 2018

12 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 9:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.