Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2018 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, that AI has more of a personality than I had anticipated.

I think this episode deals a bit of lonliness. Plus, it had a very strange vibe with the events going on in the background. I still want to know more about the Mobius but the series will probably develop on that idea soon again.

The final few minutes of the episode had more singing like usual.
Apr 29, 2018 9:02 AM

Jun 2015
Got to learn some more about the world, it's quite sad really. I wasn't expecting Lord of the Rings to be referenced. The doll was quite lonely. Mifue saved it with her nice singing. The antagonists are not that interesting.
Apr 29, 2018 9:06 AM

Mar 2016
i hope everyone has seen lord of the rings already
Apr 29, 2018 9:20 AM

Sep 2011
Interesting episode :o I was going to complain that their discussion of Smeagol neglected the Ring's dark influence, but then when I thought it through a little more, it may actually have been the case still... I conveniently happen to be early in a reading of LotR, so this will be an interesting thing to think about as I work through the story again.

BlackstarFallen said:
Got to learn some more about the world, it's quite sad really. I wasn't expecting Lord of the Rings to be referenced. The doll was quite lonely. Mifue saved it with her nice singing. The antagonists are not that interesting.

That was Suzuna singing, Mifue is the other girl that the previous episode was focused on. I can see the confusion though, a few of the characters could stand to be a little more differentiated in their appearance, plus we've only had 4 episodes to pick up names... I think those are the only 2 names I even remember at this point besides μ...
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 29, 2018 9:36 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm interesting reference to LOTR. So this virtual world was created to seal away everyone's negative thoughts. The meeting sure got lively when Morita and Mifune got there though. The library though was such a cunning trap. An interesting episode that did a great job of expanding upon the premise of this world and explain its origins. The insight into the weapons was also interesting. Nice to see Suzuna get some development as a character. Her plea to the doll as well as her song was so heartwarming. Nice to see the group gain more allies though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2018 9:40 AM

Jul 2017
That was a very good episode. I can actually relate to this episode plus I loved the LotR references that this show made.

I could sympathize a lot with Komori and the song at the end was nice to listen too.

Easily the best episode of this show so far.
Apr 29, 2018 9:45 AM

Sep 2015
Those who have doubts about weapons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis
"is the purification and purgation of emotions—particularly pity and fear—through art or any extreme change in emotion that results in renewal and restoration. It is a metaphor originally used by Aristotle in the Poetics, comparing the effects of tragedy on the mind of a spectator to the effect of a cathartic on the body."
Apr 29, 2018 9:46 AM
Apr 2017
Nice episode, even though I still don't really understand what Mobius really is. Also, at the end of the episode when everybody in the library transformed, why there was this one girl who obviously stayed as a doll?

Apr 29, 2018 9:58 AM
Mar 2016
Well then it looks like Suzuna was able to defeat a Musician without any violence.....
Apr 29, 2018 9:59 AM

Mar 2012
Easily the best episode so far. If each of the antagonists gets attention like this one did, I think I'll be pretty interested in them. I quite liked the doll. I did laugh at his usage of the word "normies" though lol
Apr 29, 2018 10:38 AM

Mar 2016
Guns n' flowers? LOL!
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 29, 2018 10:49 AM

Jul 2015
A good episode i guess. Also that Lord of rings reference was cool and made me want to rewatch that masterpiece again.

It was interesting because in the past episode we learned that there are 8 musicians and there was one missing, i thought it'll probably be Aria but now we learn that Aria is like the μ, so there's still one missing and i wouldn't be surprised if its one of the good guys that we don't suspect yet.

Anyway cant wait for the next episode.
Apr 29, 2018 1:01 PM
Jan 2017
This episode's theme was loneliness and the problem of the week is solved when Suzuna breaks through her own loneliness to reach out to Komori, who just wanted someone to give him attention. I never thought the show would use a Lord of the Rings reference to get its point across. Also, it does makes sense that the characters' weapons are called "Catharsis", since it involves releasing a repressed emotion. If a character solves their emotional problem, they can fight against the ones who want to keep them in Mobius. At this point, it feels as if the show's pieces are falling into place. Hopefully, the story will move at a faster pace because I kinda feel the show is in its setup phase and the main characters are only getting together and becoming aware of the larger threat.
Apr 29, 2018 3:25 PM

Sep 2016
First time i see a reference to LOTR in a anime lol.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Apr 29, 2018 9:15 PM

May 2015
Vacu0us said:
i hope everyone has seen lord of the rings already
Nope I had not .I don't watch movies that much.

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Apr 29, 2018 10:41 PM

Jun 2011
The staff really valued quite many audiences' memory and understanding too highly. Hints have been everywhere, but sadly few ppl realized here on MAL.

Yet the sound designer did a bad work on introducing the songs this ep.

marzus said:
Nice episode, even though I still don't really understand what Mobius really is. Also, at the end of the episode when everybody in the library transformed, why there was this one girl who obviously stayed as a doll?

A drawing failure, I guess. As for what Mobius is, have you seen The Matrix? They are similar in many ways.
2thurielApr 29, 2018 10:45 PM
Apr 29, 2018 10:42 PM
Jun 2017
Kamareki said:
This anime feels like a puppet show to me. The characters are not progressing naturally and they speak / think only to fill the gaps in this weird alloy of a puppet show and a text book with over-used quotes. It desperately tries to look meaningful, but honestly it's as meaningful as one of those cliché quotes on Facebook.

I mean, the story is just a mess. Episodes 1-2 were about getting to know the world they live in - okay. Then episode 3 rolled in and focused on Suzuna's weight issues. It literally wasted 25 minutes of screen time on a tea-party. The girls and the tea party appeared out of nowhere and left without a trail. Now, in episode 4, there's this doll-thingy (him? Her? What is it?) who is there only to explore Suzuna's loneliness problem. I've just suffered through her weight hate, what's the damn point of focusing on her again? She has too many issues for two episodes and she is not the most fun character to be around. You can't just throw in a bunch of stuff and tell me "care about her". Why should I?
The other folks (main character and the others) are still not doing anything, except agreeing to help each other. MC should have figured out he needs help from others in episode 2, but we got to sit through him thinking about it within ep. 3 and ep. 4. I am usually okay with slow pace but this is too slow!
The guy that has a crush on Suzuna is a complete annoyance. He runs through the whole library and can't see those dolls? =/ Why the hell he is so worried in the first place? Obviously, the writers just had to make a reason for him and co. to appear in the library.

Music-wise I feel like the show is over-killing it. They're using too many songs. Usually music enhances everything, but putting in too much just makes everything look like a video clip that is meant to promote some band. Or like one of those god-awful YouTube fan-made video-clips with some cheesy songs...

Overall, the show went from being okayish and promising to just rubbish. The story tries to hype itself up, but does nothing to release the energy. As I mentioned, the whole anime is like on of those weird puppet-shows where something happens only because of the strings. If whoever is responsible for this anime wants me to take it seriously, they should at least respect their characters and treat them like something more than a sketch drawn on a piece of cardboard.

I'll give it another chance and watch 1 or 2 episodes and I am done, if nothing will change my opinion.

I feel like with this universe Tadashi Satomi wanted to cash in on Persona 3-5 popularity. No wonder he left the team after Persona 2 and afterwards wasn't in anything significant. He was a writer for Folklore game (failed), then Brave Story: New Traveler (failed).

P.S. LoTR reference was absolutely out of place and annoying.

Woah... Lol. This comment really make me laugh, are you sure you watch it? The girl in the last episode and the one in this episode is a completely different girl.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
ArdanazMay 5, 2018 3:36 PM
Apr 29, 2018 10:53 PM

Aug 2017
We get to see Suzuna's inner struggles with isolation this time. Remember, she's the one with the braids and is more soft-spoken, while Mifue has the short-cropped hair.

Also, it looks like we're running straight down the line of antagonists and their respective soundtrack. Last time was SweetP and "Tokimeki*Reverie", this episode had Shounen Doll and "Originality Incident". From the end of the episode, it should continue the pattern next week with Mirei and "Sadistic Queen". The music isn't overkill when it's meant to directly reflect its usage pairing in the game, but it's kind of shoehorned in to some degree.

Now that the group is mostly together, we can look forward to advancements in storyline events. I hope they get moving with Izuru though, he's always just lurking in the background. Same with Kotono, give the sweetheart some screen time!
Apr 29, 2018 11:20 PM

May 2015
So Mobius is basically a paradise for those with negative emotions to be free? Something like escaping reality?

Digiheads are beings brainwashed and unleash their negative emotions and attack those who are aware. Catharsis effect...a weapon controlled by exposing the negative emotions hidden within one's self. Now where have I heard that before? Hmm...

"In growing too accustomed to isolation, they forget how to interact with others." IT'S TRUE! IT'S SO TRUE!

The transition from seeing the people turn into dolls was really good. It was like an entire tone shift.

Wow...pay attention to the song lyrics during Shounen Doll's outrage...

The theme about isolation worked out pretty well here. I liked it.

So we got Mifue and Suzuna out of the way. And if I were to guess, Kotarou's story will be next.

"Everyone gets hurt, but those who don't realize they're hurting can't be healed." These quotes man...Quote them all for truth!
Apr 30, 2018 1:53 AM
Jul 2018
It's hard for me to get a hold of this show in my interest, but I'm trying to enjoy it each week, it's just kind of boring and weird to me.
Apr 30, 2018 1:56 AM

Apr 2016
Was a solid episode. Had to watch twice though because I wasn't really paying attention on the first watch lol. I enjoyed the LOTR reference, and have empathy for the loneliness. It can suck. Suzana's conversations with the doll were interesting, and it's great that all the characters are now pretty much together. Just how many episodes are in this season again?

I really enjoy the music. Wish I knew japanese though lol.
[
Apr 30, 2018 3:52 AM

Nov 2016
The concepts in this show are interesting,but they present it in a rather lame way.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 30, 2018 4:44 AM

Oct 2015
I'm actually starting to lose interest in this show. I wish they'd take it up a notch. It's kind of bland so far.
May 1, 2018 2:30 AM

Oct 2008
why do we need to care about emo loner Suzuna!?
at least they are now gathering together, the one lost in mobius...
3/5.

May 1, 2018 2:44 AM

Feb 2009
So I bought game yesterday, 'cuz it's on sale and my Vita needs some game. Anime (after 4 eps.) was interesting so I've decided to check the game out, and ...
they changed a lot xd
At the beginning of the game Go Home Club already consist of Shogo (revolver dude), Mifue (tea party girl), Suzuna (library girl), Kotaro (dude that is pestering library girl) and Kotono (she's not even in anime yet, but she seems like best girl), they didn't even know Aria (lol).
Protagonist (you can name him) is the first one to meet Aria and he is also first one to awaken his Catharsis (Shogo is second, Kotono third, Kotaro 4th and I didn't get to the next one yet). Also you kind of chose what's protagonist deal for being in Mobius (I chose that he's lone loser that want other people to accept him for who he is).
Game is also more combat oriented :P And Kagi-P (who I think is glasses guy from first ep.) is first musician that you fight in game (I didn't fought him yet). And music in this game is god like, Persona tier I would say so myself *.*
Also that Golden Week Sale on EU PSN (I think NA also have one curently) is insane if you like games from Japan (my poor wallet).

Now back to anime xd
Nice episode much better then previous one (which was not bad). I felt bad for Suzuna, loneliness sucks. That LotR reference actually shocked me xd Shonen Doll looked creepy (as all dolls). So Go Home Club is slowly forming (but for some reason reporter girl joined it earlier then Kotono T.T) and we have glimps of yo boy Izuru and blond musicia that I didn't saw in the game yet...
Alos about Izuru you met him early in the game and

Also in game Mifue and Suzuna are friends (they both first years), but for some reason it's not the case in anime.
I actually like this anime more then Persona 5 the Animation and Tokyo Ghoul :re

4/5 for this episode :D
May 1, 2018 3:24 AM
Mar 2012
Suzuna's LOTR discussion with that emo musician was quite fun, gave me more thoughts on Smeagol (& Lorelei?) even tho I saw the book & films. And library of dolls weird like previous episodes but gives bit more symbolism.
So protagonists will use negative emotion to fight the digiheads using positive emotions from being mobius fan. But all of them likes mu's music.
Oh looks like chibi & mu together made Mobius.

May 1, 2018 3:57 AM

Jul 2015
Oh hey, got weird dolls this episode... kind of hoped it would be creepier but whatever. Anyway, new villain beat with the power of friendship and understanding. Her song was pretty okay for the 2 seconds that it lasted, and the episode was pretty good.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
May 1, 2018 11:36 AM

Nov 2015
well basically everyone have some mental issues here>> especially musicians,
I wonder about Ritsu though, He shouldn't have issues as... he is psychology addict, and from hes chara so far he would objectively approach any problem, so wouldn't be one to land in Mobius, and so that
makes me hope for something like he finds life itself offensive.
May 2, 2018 9:22 AM
Apr 2018
So, does Smeagol really wanted Frodo and Sam to pay attention to him?

I did read LOTR long ago, but probably too fascinated by hobbit x dwarves erotic fanfiction so that question is beyond me.
May 2, 2018 8:46 PM

Mar 2009
Hmm. I never really interpreted Smeagol's actions like that. Interesting...
May 5, 2018 1:38 AM

Apr 2015
One of the most chuunibyou shows I've ever watched.

Not bad. Even more Coraline vibes. Songs were shite
Glasses guy is annoying
Dec 8, 2019 7:40 PM

Jun 2014
4 episodes in now, and none of the other characters have awakened their own Catharsis Effect weapons yet...

And the [almost] battle with Shounen Doll being interrupted by Suzuna singing... that was really awkward.
Feb 14, 2021 8:42 AM

Jan 2019
I'm so glad I continued watching this, now that more things have been cleared up, I absolutely love this story so far!
Mar 22, 2023 3:54 PM

Aug 2017
The best thing about this episode is the LOTR reference, the rest was ok
not much happening other than the reunion of the main characters,
It seems the next episode is going to be about the girl with the lion fur shoulder,

More topics from this board

Poll: » Caligula Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

8 by Dekom »»
Apr 5, 2023 4:32 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 11 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 10 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 3, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 9 Discussion

fukumenkei - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:19 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

15 by Dekom »»
Mar 26, 2023 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.