Forum Settings
Forums

Are there times that Dub is better than Sub?

New
Apr 27, 2018 10:04 AM

Mar 2017
I watch sub by default, overall preferring the voiced in Japanese, but there are exceptions, in my mind, to this. The disastrous life of Saiki k. to be one. There is so much going on with the subtitles flying by with captions on the upper screen to read it became a nuisance to pause and read.

I have also heard that anime like Baccano! (91 days too) are better in English because they fit the setting its placed in. I'm curious to know your guy's preferences since subs vs dubs is such a heated topic.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 27, 2018 10:08 AM

May 2017
I've never heard of any dub being better but there are the rare times when they get the dub to sound similar to the sub
Apr 27, 2018 10:12 AM

Oct 2013
not better per say unless perhaps they change the script like how one can say the anime dubbed by 4Kids got worse due to all the edits and censorship
but can change experience. I wouldn't say HOTD or B Gata H Kei are better dubbed. I can watch both either way really but when I rewatch them I opt to watch in dub because it feels more fun and fitting even if not better or worse
but some shows I just can't watch dubbed like Shakugan no Shana. Both dubs for the show is just awful
Apr 27, 2018 10:13 AM

Aug 2017
there are only like 2 or 3 times where dub is better than sub
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2018 10:13 AM

Sep 2014
I'd say Cowboy Bebop is better dubbed.
Apr 27, 2018 10:16 AM

Jun 2017
I will say baccano dub was kinda better than the subs..
Apr 27, 2018 10:19 AM

Sep 2013
for my language, yuyu hakusho totally nailed it
Apr 27, 2018 10:20 AM
Apr 2018
Highschool dxd so much funner in the dub
Apr 27, 2018 10:20 AM

Mar 2015
Ye the japanese dub is better haHAA.
Apr 27, 2018 10:22 AM
Aug 2016
I have never heard of a case like that. Maybe?
Apr 27, 2018 10:22 AM

Oct 2017
yuyu hauksho is better dubbed, dbz is better dubbed, cowboy bepop is better dubbed, space dandy is better dubbed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2018 10:23 AM

May 2009
I've run across a number of quite enjoyable dubs, so yes. I would have just been treated to generic voices in a language I don't understand, if I watched it subbed, but the dub allowed the story to come to life more effectively.

Yes, I like dubs. Not all of them are stellar, of course, though my hunch (albeit based on just a few data points where I watched stuff dubbed + subbed at the same time) is that those that stick too closely to the original script can run into problems of sounding a bit stodgy. The best dubs don't try to translate things word-for-word, but take the meaning of the whole sentence or paragraph, and re-create it using phrasing that flows better in English.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 27, 2018 10:24 AM

Oct 2015
Kill la kill was that for me, I can't watch the sub now because of how good the dub was.
The voice acting matches each and every character superbly

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Apr 27, 2018 10:24 AM

Oct 2016
As dub trash every show is better in dub to me.
Apr 27, 2018 10:34 AM
Dec 2015
Through rewatching shows subbed that I originally watched dubbed, I personally enjoy it more even though both obviously have their own distinct feel. To me it just seems more natural, but certain dubs are always a good time regardless: like Steins:Gate, FMA: Brotherhood, Gurren Lagann, & etc. However, One Punch Man should be subbed only. The “Collapsing Star Roaring Cannon” at the end is unrivaled.
Apr 27, 2018 10:35 AM
Mar 2018
Its been said before, but Western-inspired animes like Baccano! and Cowboy Bebop has better dub versions than sub because it gives you a more immersive feeling. Plus mafias that speak like actual mafias sounds so damn good.

Feb 2018
I think it is more a matter of preference, although to me it seems that the Japanese VA are much more professional in most cases than the people that give dub voices in English.

Either way, for me dub is very cringy, so I would vote no.

Ergo Proxy is an excellent dub, but better? I would say no.

Mar 2018
Death note and of course ghost stories.
Apr 27, 2018 10:37 AM

Jan 2013
Nope.
Although I haven't watched that one meme thing about ghosts yet.
Apr 27, 2018 10:38 AM
Dec 2017
Ghost stories is the only answer that comes to mind.
Apr 27, 2018 10:41 AM

Jan 2018
In my language, One Piece TV dub is quite good.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Apr 27, 2018 10:42 AM
Jul 2016
TTGL and some movies have really good russian dub.
Apr 27, 2018 10:45 AM
Jun 2017
Actually I m watching anime series as Japanese. But I watched Samurai Champloo with ENG DUB. I think, ENG DUB was better than original one but there is not much example like that
Apr 27, 2018 10:46 AM

Apr 2015
Ghost Stories and Black Lagoon from what I can recall.

B y e
Apr 27, 2018 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
Are there times that Dub is better than Sub?

I'm not entirely sure?

I mean, I'm a sub-only watching anime fan as well and there's only a select few anime shows that I feel are better dubbed than subbed (such as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Assassination Classroom, Death Note, InuYasha, et cetera, et cetera), so...
Apr 27, 2018 10:50 AM

Nov 2017
Of course there are ghost stories, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop Full metal alchemist and there are many more examples of this.
Apr 27, 2018 10:53 AM

Mar 2018
What about Pokemon? The dubs are popular than subs for that.
Apr 27, 2018 11:01 AM
Feb 2018
I think dubbing can never get on par let alone better than original, i mean they just miss the nuance of the native language. It's true for every kind of media not just anime.

I always wish i could learn the native language of media i watch.....of course its a pipe dream.
A_silent_BeingApr 27, 2018 11:19 AM
Apr 27, 2018 11:06 AM

Jan 2018
Monthly Girls Nozaki Kun is better to watch with dub than sub, the only anime i've ever seen where i like the english better than the japanese, and of course Pokemon also.
Apr 27, 2018 11:08 AM

Jan 2018
A_silent_Being said:

I always wish i could learn the native language of media i watch.....of course its a pipe dream.

It's never too late!

This is actually one of the reasons i'm learning japanese right now lol
Apr 27, 2018 11:09 AM

Feb 2018
I think that dubs are better in general because you are able to focus on what actually happens on screen (u less ofc the dub sounds absolutely terrible) I think people in general are way to harsh on eng dubs while there are obviously some awful ones but the majority of them are okey.
xShinigami3125Apr 27, 2018 11:04 PM
Apr 27, 2018 11:11 AM
Mar 2011
what provides the better translation key word translation
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 27, 2018 11:13 AM
Jan 2018
Some dubs get props.. been enjoying Black Clover (and only 3eps behind)

As mentioned above Baccano! was very well done.. I can concur FMA:BH, Trigun, Bebob, SAO, BNHA, all have A+ dubs.

If i liked it subbed and it gets a dub I try it out (overlord is exception, never tried dub) I admit some disappointment as I rewatch Foodwars in eng, several VA's have are cursed w/ unnatural sounding voice (& this bothers me much more than mispronunciation… danmachi;Hestia *cough* least she gets better)

Looking forward to trying Hinamatsuri *crosses fingers*
Apr 27, 2018 11:15 AM

May 2009
81Koyomi_Araragi said:
Yeah, honestly, people complain a lot about 4Kids changing stuff, but frankly speaking, whatever they did for Pokémon, it worked. It was an enjoyable ride. It was fun to watch.

Maybe it wasn't the original. So, for example, in the 4Kids Pokémon world, onigiri are known as "donuts". Well, yeah, that's "wrong" by real life standards, but...so is the existence of all the pokémon anyway.

This is not to say that dub companies should feel free to cut and paste wildly as they please. Certainly not. However, I do mean to give credit where credit is due. There's nothing absolutely holy about the original Japanese release -- it's just that it generally works well because the folks over there tried to make it at least basically cohesive and make sense. (Whether it does is another can of worms, and people endlessly complain about shitty series left and right anyway.)

(And heck, 4Kids wasn't even asked to bring it over "as faithfully as possible" -- IIRC they were basically told to play with it to make it work for American TV broadcast. If the instructions/intentions they got were different, they could have done something much closer to the original.)

Besides, we can complain about companies like 4Kids for doing shitty jobs, but it remains a fact that their work inspired so many of us present-day anime fans to be who we are today. They obviously weren't perfect, but what they did certainly mattered a lot in the course of the history of the western anime fandom.
Apr 27, 2018 11:16 AM

Sep 2017
I liked both sub and dub version,but ouran highschool host club in dub is my favourite

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Apr 27, 2018 11:17 AM

May 2009
DateYutaka said:
Assuming the translation is done right, the subs are able to offer the more word-for-word-accurate translation.

Doesn't necessarily lead to a more enjoyable product (your mileage may vary on this, clearly), but it is what it is.
Apr 27, 2018 11:17 AM
Mar 2011
GlennMagusHarvey said:
81Koyomi_Araragi said:
Yeah, honestly, people complain a lot about 4Kids changing stuff, but frankly speaking, whatever they did for Pokémon, it worked. It was an enjoyable ride. It was fun to watch.

Maybe it wasn't the original. So, for example, in the 4Kids Pokémon world, onigiri are known as "donuts". Well, yeah, that's "wrong" by real life standards, but...so is the existence of all the pokémon anyway.

This is not to say that dub companies should feel free to cut and paste wildly as they please. Certainly not. However, I do mean to give credit where credit is due. There's nothing absolutely holy about the original Japanese release -- it's just that it generally works well because the folks over there tried to make it at least basically cohesive and make sense. (Whether it does is another can of worms, and people endlessly complain about shitty series left and right anyway.)

(And heck, 4Kids wasn't even asked to bring it over "as faithfully as possible" -- IIRC they were basically told to play with it to make it work for American TV broadcast. If the instructions/intentions they got were different, they could have done something much closer to the original.)

Besides, we can complain about companies like 4Kids for doing shitty jobs, but it remains a fact that their work inspired so many of us present-day anime fans to be who we are today. They obviously weren't perfect, but what they did certainly mattered a lot in the course of the history of the western anime fandom.

defending cultural chuvanmnsim i see
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 27, 2018 11:19 AM
Feb 2018
Maki_3 said:
A_silent_Being said:

It's never too late!

This is actually one of the reasons i'm learning japanese right now lol

lol i hear you, i am also learning japanese though not only for understanding anime better, but its certainly a perk of learning japanese.
Apr 27, 2018 11:20 AM
Mar 2011
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DateYutaka said:
Assuming the translation is done right, the subs are able to offer the more word-for-word-accurate translation.

Doesn't necessarily lead to a more enjoyable product (your mileage may vary on this, clearly), but it is what it is.

im one of mal's Token Japanese people all i want if for western fans ot get exactly what i got cannot be any mote fare than that

Apr 27, 2018 11:21 AM

Jan 2017
I watch both subs and dubs and Redline is the best dubbed anime i have seen till now.

Also, action-seinen anime always have good dubs. Coz these use good amount of explicit dialogues which makes the dub sound more natural.
Apr 27, 2018 11:23 AM

Aug 2015
Cowboy Bepop and Baccano! are pretty good in dub. There is one show you have to watch in dub: Ghost Stories. Do not watch that in sub. You will hate yourself.
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Apr 27, 2018 11:25 AM

Aug 2016
I've only watched subbed anime but the dragon ball and saint seiya series. The latin american dub is top notch

Apr 27, 2018 11:26 AM

Sep 2017
dubs that are better than the sub:
black lagoon
yu yu hakusho
fullmetal alchemist (both)
panty & stocking
ghost stories
cowboy bebop
golden boy
hellsing ultimate
baccano
flcl
spice & wolf

dubs that are shit, but enjoyable:
high school dxd
garzey's wing
devilman tanjou-hen
anything by central park media
original pokemon (besides the heavy censorship, it was entertaining as hell and you can't deny it)

dubs that are literal shit:
sailor moon (dic media ver, haven't seen the new one)
anything by sentai filmworks

the only example of bad japanese voice acting i've seen though is higurashi.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 27, 2018 11:30 AM
Mar 2017
They did an amazing job dubbing Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood in English.
Apr 27, 2018 11:34 AM

Jul 2015
I stopped even trying dubs a long time ago, the probability that they were going to be bad is just way higher than subbed.

Also
Apr 27, 2018 11:38 AM

Mar 2017
if dubs are done properly with good voice actors i have no problem with them
but they usually arent
henlo
Apr 27, 2018 11:43 AM

Mar 2016
FMAB, Cowboy Bebop and Kill la Kill are the only dubs I've ever seen being better or equal to the original broadcast.
Apr 27, 2018 11:49 AM

May 2009
DateYutaka said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

defending cultural chuvanmnsim i see
1. What is "chuvanmnsim"?
2. Explain your contention.

DateYutaka said:
im one of mal's Token Japanese people all i want if for western fans ot get exactly what i got cannot be any mote fare than that
Well, if word-for-word script accuracy is your most important concern, then subs are generally better than dubs at this. Subs still sometimes change around word order only because English grammar and sentence structure doesn't work the same way, and doing more to force the word order would produce an English translation to sound awkward -- which is generally not the intention of the original script.

However, the script alone isn't the entire performance, and aspects of delivery -- such as comedic timing -- can easily be missed in subs. I've run into this problem a number of times, actually, where I can see the punchline on the screen, in text, thanks to the subs, before the character actually says it.

There's no absolutely perfect way to translate something for audiences who speak a different language. You can choose a different methods, but each one of them involves tradeoffs, so the choice of which one is best depends on which aspects you prioritize the most.
Apr 27, 2018 11:52 AM
Mar 2018
pgmhecateii said:
No, never will that ever happen. No English sounds good in anime. No exceptions. Idc about "western setting anime". English will always sound awful in Japanese media. :\

I'm new to mal so if you could help. Besides the images, how did you add the the slips and other stuff?
Apr 27, 2018 12:05 PM
Dec 2013
I think Machine-Doll is better dubbed since the anime is set in the United Kingdom. Because 97% of the characters in it are either British or Irish (just the main characters are Japanese), the voice actors gave the characters English accents, Scottish accents, Irish accents and Welsh accents. It's a pretty awesome dub.
wildhoodApr 27, 2018 12:11 PM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 34 minutes ago

8 by iThink »»
31 seconds ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

35 by SignsOfSuicide »»
5 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 minutes ago

2 by Zimmu »»
5 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

27 by Mishiia »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 8 hours ago

12 by Thanatos1 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.