Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Episode 4 covers chapters 17-21. It's one of the most faithful episodes so far!

New
Apr 24, 2018 6:54 PM
Jan 2015
The only change in the order of events this time is at the very start they show Touru in the action on the stage for a brief like less than a minute then it goes to the start of chapter 17. The last episode basically skipped the first half of chapter 16 so some of the build-up to the auction was pretty badly cut short. They cut out the first scene of Hinami, Torso, and Ayato in a room where we first see her using her new (as of this season anyway, she's probably had this ability for a while but to the viewer/reader it's our first seeing her use it.) At first, I was really upset by that, I thought to myself: "Really? They cut out something like this that gave us our first hint at Hinami's much more powerful abilities for the first time. I thought shit, this is going to be like Mutsuki again who this season has continuously fucked up over and over again in addressing important backstory about. (Come to think of it I just remembered they DIDN'T show us her second flashback albeit more brief flashback to her childhood AGAIN.) leaving out the part about kids saying Mutsuki
I just really wish they didn't do this. It's just so disappointing. I really like this season, it's been a pretty faithful adaptation overall despite at times skipping too much dialogue and at the end of the last episode, a whole chapter and a half just to more quickly get to the Auction. Then the sad part about it is this episode wasn't even well animated at all when the fights happened. I honestly was quite surprised at how limited the animation seems. Some of the worst animation of fight scenes I've seen in a mainstream popular anime. Again another blotch on an otherwise pretty good adaptation despite some pretty bad decisions being made that hinder character development or characterization. There's been a lot of surprisingly good things done this season though. The fact that they've used monologue at all for anyone but Haise is a little surprising. I was definitely worried before episode 1 came out they'd for instance cut out Urie's wonderful thoughts that are added to his dialogue in the manga. Overall the dialogue has been very faithful when they actually keep stuff in. Almost all the lines are the same as the manga. Another issue that I've noticed this season that I dislike is how they often don't make the characters have the correct facial expressions like they do in the manga. In this episode, I noticed almost every time Kanae was meant to have a sinister face she just stared blankly. Takizawa's introduction was frankly not done as well as I was expecting. They BUTCHERED the iconic scene of the first shot of his face where he looks completely deranged and has his fingers in his mouth and all that creepy shit. Instead of the wonderful shot of his full face like in the manga they did this really weird up close shot of his lower face without his eyes even being shown, and his hair doesn't look white in the first shot of him for some reason it looks black with white streaks in it. And he doesn't even have his fingers in his mouth either so it's not just a poor framing issue. They literally just didn't have him doing the right action at all. That alone really fucked up this episode ending for me. And they ended it in an unexpected place. I thought for sure they'd end it on the first shot of his face sort mirroring how episode 1 ended with the knuckle crack. Instead of ending it before the end of a chapter for cool factor they ended it at the end of chapter 21 this time.

I'm going to add some images for comparison at the end of this post just to illustrate how terrible the anime is at getting the facial expressions right in really expressive and crazy shots from the manga. (Assuming you can add pictures on here.

Manga

Anime

Manga (don't know how to crop the panel any better than this right now)

Anime

As you can clearly see especially with Takizawa the anime version just doesn't compare.

I'll put just one more set up pictures to show the censorship at the end of the episode compared to the much more clearly violent end of chapter 21.

Manga version.

And here's the anime version of those two panels as two separate images.

So the censorship is again like the rest of this season handled in ways that work pretty well. There's no covering with black or blurring. Though it's possible that it will be harder to get uncensored versions now because the shots would be at times different. (Unless they did make a less zoomed out version of this scene and just zoomed in for the broadcast to make it less violent. But in the case of blood and gore some of the time there's just not much blood like for instance when Juuzo stabbed people with his knives this episode there isn't really any blood. Though to be fair the manga didn't seem to have almost any in those scenes either. It makes me wonder if it's even possible they'd add more blood back into it for the uncut version. I think they might have added more blood in Root A in the uncut version though it might have been that it was just blurred out in the broadcast and unblurred for the uncut version so it's less likely Pierrot would bother to change the scenes to add some extra blood. I mean if they were SHAFT or almost anyone else who handles seinen I'd have more hope. But Pierrot is a LAZY AS FUCK studio who don't seem to care at all if their shows have bad animation, sub-par art in some scenes or whole episodes, or just produce terrible adaptations. They make so much money so they have no incentive to do any better than they have in the past. Though the Kagune's have usually been pretty cool in Tokyo Ghoul. I like the way they all have animated stuff on them. Though since season 2 they at times draw the kagunes like garbage.

Here's an example of what I mean.

This to me just looks really ugly compared to something like

From season 1 episode 1.

From season 1 episode 12.

Now I'll show you guys how bad Root A is in comparison to season 1 Kaneki's kagune.

From season 2 episode 1. Blocking Ayato's shards to protect Touka and Nishiki.

From season 2 episode 5 Kaneki fighting Shinohara in Cochlea.

Note how Rize's Kagune looks pretty shitty there too.
Apr 24, 2018 7:12 PM

Feb 2017
Really dissapointed with the look the gave seidou compared to what it should have been.
Apr 24, 2018 7:19 PM

Aug 2014
Garbage adaptation,

I know the manga give Edgy vibes to Takizawa but damn at the same times he made like a good villains due the arts.
But here in Anime it almost like a shitty man in lipstick.

Most of fight seems like a bad or just random picks between ghoul and Doves,

Its so plain.. and people praising this garbage? Really?
Apr 24, 2018 8:44 PM
Jan 2015
Well, I'm glad the effort I took to make this post and include the pictures to compare is being noticed xD To be fair he actually looks less terrible in the second shot of him I included in the post. As for your comment about it being a terrible adaptation, I'm still conflicted about it. Intellectually there's been so many things that I feel sucked about it but at the same time, enough of the manga has been adapted pretty decently that I'm still happy we got that much. I wasn't sure we were ever going to get a third season until last year. As I've pointed out in all my reviews so far about the episodes they all have issues. But to be honest this one was much easier to write about. There just wasn't that much missing this time. The most egregious missing stuff was cut last week so I can't really complain about it in this weeks episode. It does cover 17-21 pretty well though not perfectly and it still has the aforementioned issues with Mutsuki who they keep neglecting. To be honest I think we shouldn't assume Takizawa is going to be completely butchered just cause the first shot of him looked really shitty. The character could still be done justice despite the shows questionable composition and framing of his scenes so far. I'm looking forward to seeing him
Apr 24, 2018 10:07 PM
Jun 2016
Even thought I have not read the whole thing, I do give props to you for coming up for such a well designed and juicy content. Its certainly better than just trashing something for the sake of trashing.
Apr 25, 2018 1:56 AM
Jan 2015
Well, I'm not exactly "trash talking" Tokyo Ghoul is probably my favorite anime series.I've seen the first season like 8 times. I am pointing out its negative aspects but it's not to trash talk. My goal -is to point out things other people aren't. Especially when I did my episode 3 review because that episode was such a bitch to go through. It was all over the place with content from different chapters in the wrong order. (Like the episode open on chapter 12, then skipping to chapter 15 to show us the scene with Urie in front of the mirror is all like I don't feel any different and then releasing his kagune and then being like "I won't lose control like Sasaki!" then back to chapter 10. Though it was because episode 2 decided to have Urie get his operation interspliced with content from chapters 9 and 10 (Touka reunion at :re) meaning they used chapter 15 material at the same time as the end of chapter 9 and the end of chapter 10. (Personally I much prefer that the anime didn't cut up the Touka scene like the manga. It's much more impactful to just have it as one continuous scene, I hated that I had to read all of chapter 10 just to get to the Touka stuff again when it could have been continued right away.) And thanks btw for the compliment I do my best to be thorough but I have issues with being efficient and more concise, and I sometimes get into the habit of repeating certain points again. It's nice to hear that someone thinks it's well designed. I guess I have to agree this is better designed than my other posts so far. I decided not to write too much or go on as many long tangents and tried to provide some examples of issues I had with It. Despite the things I've been complaining about for the past 4 weeks I am still really enjoying myself. This season, while it has quite a few problems that I feel could have been avoided, is overall better than their last one. I'm not entirely sure if it's on the same level as season 1 or if it's a little better cause I've not read the first manga in around a year and I've not been doing what I've been doing for this series (which is every week I read around 5 or 6 maybe a few extra chapters before I watch the episode so I can compare and figure out how well they adapt stuff from the manga. The scene I showed of Haise making his best-deranged face to Serpent or (for some reason in the English dub called Orochi. I mean I get it, it means serpent in Japanese but why are they not just translating it when they take out other Japanese words like the honorifics (which unfortunately leads to ruining the cute nickname Shizaru calls Haise "Sassan" with "Mr. Sas" I mean I sort of get it I guess they decided to translate it like it's Sas as in Sasaki and san as in the honorific. Which based on how it's been translated kind of gives me the impression this whole time that Sassan is really more like Sas-san possibly? Like okay, I get why they remove honorifics usually though some anime still keep them in when necessary i.e in Durarara Izaya calls Shizuo "Shizu-chan" which really has no easy way to translate to English without changing how it's said or something. I mean it just has to be left in cause there's no way to translate chan to something in English. I mean San I guess can be translated as Mr though I'd argue it shouldn't be and it's not that great a translation, and while words like sensei can also be translated to teacher (again I'd prefer just saying sensei cause it's the proper word for a teacher in Japan which the story takes place in and preserves their culture and most people already know what a sensei is any way. For instance Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist two of the most popular anime both leave Sensei as Sensei none of this teacher or teach bullshit xD) these types of translations while not that big a deal just kind of annoy me lately. It's just unnecessary in my opinion. And that these other Japanese words aren't said in Japanese makes me wonder why on earth they kept Orochi in the script? I mean how many people watching English dubs even know what Orochi means? I mean they probably should given Orochimaru is so heavily associated with snakes in Naruto and named that for a reason he, Jiraiya and Tsunade were all based on characters from "The Tale Of Jiraiya The Gallant"
Apr 25, 2018 2:43 AM

Jul 2016
The problems mostly come from Pierrot being a lazy studio. Supposedly their animation during the 80's and some of the 90's was pretty good, nothing like today. Cutting production costs is probably a big factor influencing that. As you said, this is seen in the fight scenes and the facial expressions. Seeing the comparisons of the faces makes this really obvious as the anime version falls flat with not much impact.

I have to agree with the censorship as well. Instead of the black blurring, beams of light and inverted colours like previous seasons, the framing works better to make the censoring not blatantly obvious.
Apr 25, 2018 3:10 AM
Jan 2015
Yeah the censorship is less intrusive but I'm concerned about whether it can be uncensored with this method. There's at the very least one scene that's altered completely in that Torso doesn't even get the chance to rip open Mutsukis shirt it would need to be reanimated to fix it and that's highly unlikely. This zooming in framing thing may not be able to be uncensored though if thays just how they drew the scene tovegin with. I'm hoping that's not the case and they simply zoomed in and changed the framing to hide it. But if it was actually drawn that way it means it probably won't be able to be honest uncensored. I agree they seem lazy though it's probably a my more to so with lack of talented animators, outsourcing to unskilled labour in foreign countries, or budgeting they could just be saving the animation for an important fight or maybe they just are poorly utilizing the budget. Even good studios are lazy in some manner though all anime is low budget compared to something like Disney or Pixar.or.even regular live action tv in America. But if I had to make a guess lack of good or great animators is probably the reason. That or cost saving. Like pierrot has had good animation on some naruto fights that are far better than the fights here. In fact most naruto fight animation is honestly probably better than this seasons animation.
Apr 25, 2018 4:13 AM

May 2017
well yea. episode 2 of :re made me wanna watch more but the last 2 eps have been really disappointing in terms of animation and co. I started reading the original manga yesterday so lets hope i continue with that. Really wanna know the complete story and not this butchered studio pissrot shit. Worst studio ever
Apr 25, 2018 10:34 AM
Jan 2015
Yeah, do that. Read the manga it's worth the extra time it'll take. Maybe after you read it you'll enjoy the anime a bit more. Or you'll hate it more idk how you feel about it are you the type to say of its not a great adaptation it's worthless? Cause for me I'm still just happy to see any of the manga get animated and be as good as it is. Despite its issues it's still better than root a lol.
BrokenxwingApr 29, 2018 1:54 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

95 by F0xFae »»
Mar 30, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2018

194 by F0xFae »»
Mar 29, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

416 by F0xFae »»
Mar 29, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2018

172 by CaravanRiot »»
Mar 16, 9:41 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul: re 1st season is underrated

Ryuu_Mayo - Feb 3

12 by KayKimii »»
Feb 3, 1:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.