Forum Settings
Forums

The start, middle, or end? Which part of the story is the most important to you?

New
Apr 23, 2018 12:16 AM

Oct 2017
You could say that all three are as important because they all have roles that define what a particular anime is to you. A lot might also see an anime's story as a whole enjoyment rather than a specific part but for this thread, which one do you think is the most important?

The Start
Refers to the introductory section. Arguably, you can say that this is the part where people's interest are at its peak as it's the deciding factor in whether you would continue the journey or drop off early. It's the foundation of the basic narrative and character elements, the ignition that serves as the base to expand into a good anime.

The Middle
Kind of a loose term here but let's just say this is the part where the 'meat' of the anime should start appearing. The part where the elements are weaved together in order to create the most packed story as of yet. Could also refer to as the highlight of the anime, this can be the rising action or climax of the story. It's the steering wheel that should decide where the anime is heading towards.

The End
The conclusion of the anime. Bringing all the elements on a single point one last time and giving a proper resolution can decide whether the journey was worth it or a waste of time to some people. Ending on a good note can become the brake of satisfaction or else, it could become the brake of sourly taste.

I know that the definitions are a bit of a generalization and the world is not as orderly as this. But hopefully, I got the points across. For me, the start isn't that important because I'm a curious guy that will get curious enough to finally drop an anime towards the middle. So that said, the middle is slightly more important than the ending as it's the part that is usually the most interesting and engaging once you get to know the characters and story in depth. As for the ending, a satisfying finish could really boost how I feel about the anime but that's all.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 23, 2018 12:18 AM

Jul 2015
Ending

A bad ending can destroy everything
Apr 23, 2018 12:23 AM

Oct 2015
All is important. A good story will have all of them. The most impactful for me is the ending though, because its the ending job to left a long-lasting impression on the audiece even when the show already ended. But that doesn't mean the starting and middle is less important.
Apr 23, 2018 12:23 AM
Sep 2011
Start
End
Middle

A masterpiece series is good all the way through. A great series may lag in the middle, but absolutely requires a solid introduction and conclusion. A series that starts off poorly or ends poorly to my esteem is "good" at best, and probably is going to fall short of that. I only place greater importance on the beginning than the end because of the potential for me to drop or walk-out on the novel/series/movie.
Apr 23, 2018 12:24 AM

Nov 2015
I mean all of it is important. The best shows are strong in all 3 parts, but i think the end is the most important. If you get attached to a story, characters etc a bad ending could ruin everything. If the start and middle aren't that great, your not as invested in the story, characters etc so you can just drop it and move on.
Apr 23, 2018 12:28 AM

Jan 2010
The ending is the moment where, if an anime were terrible all the way throughout, it could at least salvage itself with one last ditch effort. Or, if by some miracle, somehow turn itself around and become amazing by somehow making up for everything that had happened thus far. Preferably the entire anime would be great, but given that only one of the listed sections would be given effort, it would be the end I'd say.

That being said, the middle usually ends up making for my favorite parts of my favorite shows. While endings can leave a lasting impact, I find it easier to rewatch great middle episode than ending ones. They're usually fun context-less episodes that can be watched without having to dive back too deeply into the show.
Apr 23, 2018 12:37 AM

Jul 2016
I would define the middle as the part following the intro but prior to the climax of the story and the ending being the payoff of the story. All parts are important but personally I think the middle part can afford to be not as good as the start and ending.

The start is your first impression and ultimately determines whether you'll continue the series. Past there the middle only needs to maintain attention. The ending will tie everything together in a satisfying manner (or leave it open-ended to make the viewer come to their own conclusions). A good ending can make an average series great if executed properly.
Apr 23, 2018 12:42 AM

Jan 2018
I think the intro-middle is the most important for me. Without an interesting intro, I'd probably drop it really quickly.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Apr 23, 2018 12:51 AM

Jan 2018
Every part is important to me as they build up the story as a whole so if I had to choose, I'd say the middle because this is the most crucial part to see where the it would likely end up in the end. You will get to see the possibilities, routes, courses etc.

Story-driven - What kind of circumstances that unfolds that helps to build up the emotional engagement?

Character-driven - What kind of action they will make and based on what resolve, motivation, perception?
Apr 23, 2018 12:57 AM

Feb 2017
I like the introduction section most, but for giving score, ending is the most important section.
Apr 23, 2018 12:57 AM

Jun 2017
I don't know why but for me middle is more important than the start and the end (The reason I liked Angel Beats! is this)
Apr 23, 2018 12:59 AM

Jan 2009
the ending no doubt since there you will know if the journey is all worth it or not
Apr 23, 2018 1:05 AM

Dec 2017
For me its the introduction of the story. Its like the appetizer of a full course meal. Great appetizers get you in the mood, they get you excited about what else lays in store for you. Similarly, bad appetizers can get things off to a bad start, leaving you wondering if the rest your experience will be any better.
Apr 23, 2018 1:22 AM

Sep 2011
How about all of them?

If the beginning and the middle are so bad for me, I'll instantly drop the series regardless on how good the ending will be.

And my answer on what I'll feel is obvious for when the beginning and the middle are good yet the ending is so bad.

Apr 23, 2018 1:35 AM

Mar 2018
Shocked said:
The ending is the moment where, if an anime were terrible all the way throughout, it could at least salvage itself with one last ditch effort.

^ Came here to say this. Take for example Blood-C, after 8 episodes I was ready to give it a 1 and write a scathing review, but the ending, oh boy does it end on a satisfying note. I gave it average score and refrained from bashing on it further.

The beginning usually set things up, character introduction, worlds and setting and are usually indicative of whether the show is gonna be interesting or not.
The middle is where the meat of the content lies, the plot and character development and many shows drop the ball here.
The end is also important since for it to leave a lasting impression, the ending has to be satisfactory and well thought out. A great show with a bad ending becomes a bad show, take Gangsta for example. It had so much potential but the ending was abrupt and left so many questions, ruined the whole show for me.

So, if asked to choose one, I'll say its the middle which is the most important followed closely by the ending.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 23, 2018 2:11 AM

Jan 2018
The start and The end.

The start it's about impact and how it can hypnotize you and watch that show till the end.

The end it's about how the show finish the story, final touch, feelings, etc and how it ruins or rises the climax. Cuz best climax is how they keep audience straight to the path, and then finish it with last touch.. nice last touch.

I dont really care about The middle, cuz almost of many shows always boring in the middle.
Heika-Apr 23, 2018 2:16 AM

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Apr 23, 2018 2:32 AM

Jan 2018
The ending is the most important part i think, it's not anime but i remember playing Mother 2 and getting close to the end and thinking "Yup this is probably going to be a 6 or 7" then finishing it and giving it a 9. The ending changes everything really.
Apr 23, 2018 3:18 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't exactly put forth a lot of attention towards any in particular, but I'd probably say middle if forced to choose at gunpoint - I'd wager I put less emphasis on first impressions than what the average would be, so while a good start is nice to help nurture interest, it'd take an extreme case for me to outright lose interest because of an annoying start and it can always a redeem itself a bit later down the road. Endings are conclusions and I can't think of a single instance where one ended up being a game changer to me - quite the contrary, usually I've noticed I have a tendency to only care about the ending mostly by and large for a brief while after I finished something, and after I sort of get over that kind of high afforded by a powerful conclusion they tend to become much less dominant in my lasting impression of a series than the body of the work. Series that have good endings can start off highly rated for me in the time immediately after I finished them and then will often just trickle downwards.

So while I believe that the space between Point A and Point B is most important to me because it's very often the moments in that happen in the middle that can leave the most lasting of impressions to me, and lasting impressions tend to be the more important things in the long run, I think the reality is that I just don't emphasize narrative a whole lot to begin with. It's why I can often prefer largely episodic bits over things with a continuous, overarching narrative rather easily and can't recall having really ever been part of this community's borderline extreme obsession with having every narrative go from beginning to end in a straight line and complain whenever it goes off the beaten path for a moment to show some goofy fanservice scene or have an episode that doesn't progress the narrative or something. Always viewed that as really silly.

Apr 23, 2018 3:24 AM

Sep 2017
All of them. Without one good start, middle or ending, the whole storyline will suck.
Apr 23, 2018 3:38 AM

Aug 2015
Weird question. All of them equally important.
Apr 23, 2018 3:48 AM

Aug 2017
All are important, but I feel for the most part endings are messed up the most, and so to me, I suppose the ending.
Apr 23, 2018 3:53 AM

Jun 2016
The middle.
The start is just an introduction to the story and not when the anime should be as its best, and as for the ending, yes it is important since it warps everything however the middle is what makes the story desenvolve to come to that point.
Apr 23, 2018 4:01 AM

Oct 2015
Rather than choosing one, cause I can't, I'll just say whatever I can.

It depends what kind of story are we talking, I tend to like mystery and crime better with the middle and the end cause the middle is where it peaks with the questions and the end will be the answer to everything, oui?

The problem is, what are we talking about here as well. Tell me, how does One Piece fit in all of this? I guess you can say the arcs, I can agree to that. Knowing of One Piece for what it is, I also like OP arcs for its middle and last parts the most. But again, the introductory to the arc is highly relevant since it's a new story, and we should know what we are getting into. And it is a very case to case basis, everything can be good, everything from A to Z can be awful. Why emphasize on one part when you can do great on all of them. You can't really say "The end is the best cause it ties up everything", but what happens if from the middle alone, everything was screwed, yeah? What happens if the start already fucked up everything imaginable to be at least a decent narrative, then everything is going to be affected. If the middle is caved in by the abundant amount introduced in the introduction, everything wouldn't be utilized properly. I'd rather let everything be smooth sailing than a hill climb then down again and up again up a mountain. So, yes, I am saying the "everything is important" answer.

It is up to the writer to do everything good, make the best intro, the best climax, the best ending and let everything be in equal scale. Cause he has the power to write his masterpiece, and make everything look good to the point that you can't choose.

-Lofn-Apr 23, 2018 4:08 AM

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Apr 23, 2018 4:02 AM

May 2017
The start because it sets the scene for everything as endings are easily predicted
Apr 23, 2018 4:18 AM

Mar 2016
All of these are important but for me most important part is probably the beginning since it's hard for me to watch something that made bad first impression on me, there're shows I dropped because of it without even giving them chance to recover, in situations like this it doesn't matter if middle or ending of those anime was good.

Apr 23, 2018 4:34 AM

Feb 2017
The start & middle decides whether I will continue to watch the anime, the ending may be sht but i've alrdy watched up to it so I might as well finish. If a character grows on me then the ending most likely won't change it

Apr 23, 2018 4:43 AM

Jan 2018
For me ending matters the most because of the ending my score of the anime has gone from best to worst.
Apr 23, 2018 4:44 AM

Jan 2013
For me, the middle and ending part are equally important, I can't choose one. The beginning is always less important than those two, I'm usually patient and as long as it isn't outright shit then it's okay if it needs some time to build up. Also, a flashy opening can sometimes give false expectations about the series and I don't like when it happens.
Apr 23, 2018 5:11 AM

Jan 2017
I think middle is the most important. Start of the anime is good in most cases. Middle is the part where it becomes better or worse.

K project is the latest example which i have watched. It looked promising in the start but became boring as hell in the middle.
Apr 23, 2018 5:28 AM
Aug 2016
Beginning definitely. I drop a lot of shows so if beginning is bad I wont even get to see middle or end.
Apr 23, 2018 5:32 AM

Feb 2018
The ending because it almost doesn't matter who grew the build up is if they resolve the plot threats in an unsatisfing way it retroactively destroys the series for me.
Apr 23, 2018 5:34 AM
Nov 2016
The ending is the most important part of any show imo.

Apr 23, 2018 5:36 AM
Aug 2016
blah blah all of them are important blah blah
If I had to choose, I would go with either the end or middle.
Apr 23, 2018 6:41 AM
Jul 2015
In any case, the importance ends up being subjective.

The beginning is a presentation and without it you can not determine or record everything that the work poses.
A story would not be a story without development, is what else can offer due to its concept or extension, true One Piece?
A conclusion is what gives meaning to the plot, did not know of narrative construction could at least give a better corroboration.

Without giving so many laps in the personal, the beginning is what I remember most of anime, the development that entertains me and the end makes me doubt my existence.
Apr 23, 2018 7:11 AM

Mar 2018
Every single part of the story is obviously Important, but in my own opinion, the start would be essential to a great story.

When writing the story, the start is usually the impression maker, it sets the tone and provides the reader with a foundation to follow. If done correctly, the start of an anime can grip an entire demographic and become suddenly popular and/or explode (prob the same thing). If the start is terrible, I'll end up dropping the series/story and not give a damn if it improves in the future or not. This then leads to the next point...

Generally, if the start and transitional phases of a story are fluid and entertaining, the story will generally turn out to be good. If an author projects his ideas during the start and it's enjoyable, the whole body of work usually follows along and joins in on the fun. As always, there are always exceptions but this is generally the case.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like the author can just write a really good start and slack off on the rest; all parts of a story are important. BUT its usually the start that capitalises on the audience and their attention. To catch eyes is important and its how numerous systems work in our world today (e.g Advertisement).

TLDR: The start is most important IMO as it sets the tone and generally leads to a good story.

Edit: Fix bad grammar
UnjustifiedYetiApr 23, 2018 7:25 AM
~Just another stranger's opinion

Apr 23, 2018 7:12 AM

May 2017
Ocarina_ said:
All is important. A good story will have all of them. The most impactful for me is the ending though, because its the ending job to left a long-lasting impression on the audiece even when the show already ended. But that doesn't mean the starting and middle is less important.

Summs it up quite accurate imo
Depends on what kind of story it thrives upon,but still
butchered timeline of watching is just lazy
Apr 23, 2018 8:29 AM

Feb 2010
Well, I can say for sure that the ending part is by far the least important one to me. The 'middle' is where 90% of my time spent on the anime is taking place so that needs to be enjoyable for me to have an enjoyable experience. But ofc the early parts set the tone and can make the difference between whether you can get really immersed or not, and it happens regularly that series with sub-par starts that fail the purpose of drawing you in early, just never get there and manage to create much of an interest in me.

So yeah pragmatically I'd say Middle > Early > Final Parts
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 23, 2018 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
The start, middle, or end? Which part of the story is the most important to you?

Either the start and middle of the story.

The start because it introduces said story/plot/themes as well as characters and the middle because that's where the "meat" of said story is, for the most part.

In terms of the end, well, I just see it as a means to an end or a way to wrap up said story (be it in a good and/or bad way), so...
Apr 23, 2018 12:35 PM

Feb 2010
On a sidenote I think anyone that says 'ending' and mainly watches anime has some major contradictions to work out in their lifestyle because anime is a medium notorious for leaving stuff unifinished and only advertising for the source by adapting the early parts of something but never the rest. The amount of anime that even make it to any kind of ending is quite small, nevermind the ones with really good endings.

Books or movies are a much better medium if you care about endings tbh.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 23, 2018 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
All of them motherfuckers are important
Apr 23, 2018 12:39 PM

May 2016
Setting aside that not all narratives follow a three act structure...I would say none of them are important.

I mean, isn't it called story*telling* for a reason? It is how a story is introduced, maintained and concluded; not that it *is* started, maintained and concluded. Why fuss over the girders and struts of the rollercoaster when one can just get swept along for the ride.

That aside, I do enjoy media-res--starting in the middle of the action. I mean, imagine just starting at the top of the roller-coaster, right before the very moment of the plunge without knowing how or why you got there. Thrilling.

Apr 23, 2018 1:58 PM

Jul 2016
hmm i gues the beginning, if its to boring i stop watching but the ending is also prety important for me
Apr 23, 2018 2:07 PM

Sep 2017
You can't have a good story without all those elements. That being said, I can forgive an anime with a bad start. The middle is usually the most fun. A bad ending can ruin the whole show sometimes.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Apr 23, 2018 3:51 PM
May 2016
For me, it's all of it.

Story is the most important thing for me in any medium. Get me from the start and keep me in till the very end, that's how I likes it
Apr 23, 2018 10:56 PM

Oct 2017
-Lofn- said:
The problem is, what are we talking about here as well. Tell me, how does One Piece fit in all of this? I guess you can say the arcs, I can agree to that. Knowing of One Piece for what it is, I also like OP arcs for its middle and last parts the most. But again, the introductory to the arc is highly relevant since it's a new story, and we should know what we are getting into. And it is a very case to case basis, everything can be good, everything from A to Z can be awful. Why emphasize on one part when you can do great on all of them. You can't really say "The end is the best cause it ties up everything", but what happens if from the middle alone, everything was screwed, yeah? What happens if the start already fucked up everything imaginable to be at least a decent narrative, then everything is going to be affected. If the middle is caved in by the abundant amount introduced in the introduction, everything wouldn't be utilized properly. I'd rather let everything be smooth sailing than a hill climb then down again and up again up a mountain. So, yes, I am saying the "everything is important" answer.
Before I made this thread, I was aware that not every anime follows this formula and that there are some that are consistent and equally important on all parts. That's why I said the definitions are a bit of a generalization. Every masterpiece will be good on most of its elements so while I didn't specify it, this thread would be more accurate to refer to non-masterpieces. If every part can mess the anime up and if the start will ruin everything right from the get-go, you can make a case that the introduction is the most important thing compare to the other parts.

For One Piece, I would say the East Blue Sage is the introductory part. While it is highly relevant in introducing the long journey ahead, I think the real journey in the middle is the most significant. The experiences and greater outburst of characters and devil fruits is the pivotal factor in sailing Luffy and his crew towards the Pirate King ending that we all hope for. There are issues present in the middle but for a long anime, OP isn't the kind that suffers from it a lot so I personally find the middle to be the slightly most important part of One Piece.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 24, 2018 12:31 AM

Feb 2015
Apr 24, 2018 12:43 AM

Aug 2016
Assuming the beginning, the middle, and the end are equal in episode count (split in thirds basically), then I would say more than average, the ending is the most important for me. By the time I finish the series, the first thing that will be in my mind is how good/enjoyable the ending was whether it wrapped everything up nicely, failed to do so or went in other various directions. Going through to the end allows me to assess my entire investment with the franchise/entry.

Fully finishing the adaptation isn't necessary as a satisfactory ending of an arc is enough for me.
Apr 24, 2018 7:28 AM

Aug 2015
The middle, it's where most of the content is usually at.
Apr 24, 2018 8:59 AM

Aug 2017
This is a hard question. It depends of the type of anime and tastes.

According to my tastes:

*In my opinion, i could said that the ending is important but they are cases it's shit although the start and the middle were decent. Generally, i rate between 5-6 there. Ex. Ping Pong: The Animation.

*Another circumstances are when it have a strong start but the middle is more average than decent but the ending recovered the feeling from the start. I rate 5 more or less there. Ex. Dimension W.

*Finally, the start is bad and the ending worse but the middle builds something important. The main problem is that -if nothing happens or it's shit in the end- it just wasted potential. I rate 1-4 there. Ex. Fairy Tail.

According to the types of anime (some):

*Mystery: the middle for obvious reasons. It build up there. Good examples are Shinsekai yori. Bad examples are Boku dake ga Inai Machi, SNK.

*Shounen: all of them. It shows you what is going on with the world, characters, progression and how all of them end.

---------------------

Of course, all of them needs to be at least decent to give them a score of 7-10. If one of them fails so much is very hard to approve it. The quality is much more important than the enjoyment when you are rating an anime. pd: the episodic anime depends of how well it's worked. It needs to be realistic and not overdramatic. Good examples are Death Parade. Bad examples are Violet Evergarden, Kekkai Sensen.
NurguburuApr 24, 2018 9:02 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 24, 2018 9:02 AM

May 2009
The beginning of end, then end is just the beginning.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 2 hours ago

33 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

8 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
4 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

5 by Nemo_Niemand »»
17 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

45 by Pokitaru »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.