Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 21, 2018 7:08 PM

Nov 2016
Karkeys said:
It's kinda weird how bad the exposition is in this anime. The cool stuff they showed off in episode 1 is being explained to us in episode 3 at a slow and monotonous pace of back-and-forths between characters. I know they gotta show how LLENN learnt this stuff but can't they just cut out all this unneeded bullshit.

Can the story board artists and animators just slap the writers and director for basically creating a filler episode which seems ripped straight from the pages of a light novel.

This is a light novel adaptation and those scenes are in the novel. They can't cut it because those scenes are important clues for future development.
Apr 21, 2018 7:27 PM

Mar 2008
another episode of Gun Gale Online brought to you by National Rifle Association.

The author is alt right btw.
Apr 21, 2018 8:56 PM

May 2015
Congintive said:
And there goes another one on my dropped list this is the 3rd one of this season well whatever.

What's so bad about it exactly?

Apr 21, 2018 9:06 PM

Jan 2018
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Congintive said:
And there goes another one on my dropped list this is the 3rd one of this season well whatever.

What's so bad about it exactly?

I mostly dropped anime because of the characters and imo this anime characters are just boring at least the original SAO has some good characters.

Apr 21, 2018 9:11 PM
Jan 2015
Yeah Pito is definitely Elsa lol
My Queens

Apr 21, 2018 10:02 PM

Feb 2011
Guess her new friends get introduced next. I'm talking about the shorter group she keeps passing. I find it hard to believe they'd be close in age, but just in case... Considering most people prefer friends their own age.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Apr 21, 2018 10:49 PM

Apr 2016
Pretty solid episode. I think this is.. or at least SHOULD be the last episode of character introductions. We'll get into some action and some fites accompanied by some bombs. I'm also on the side that believes Pito is that singing woman. Don't have much to say about this episode honestly. Feel like not a lot happened.
[
Apr 22, 2018 12:19 AM

May 2015
So a battle royale, but everyone can start with their chosen weapons. Basically just a survival game. Wait...teams of 2-6? Isn't that a little unfair? And does everyone have unlimited ammo? Oh...they don't...can they loot ammo though?

LLENN is the leader for one obvious reason: LIVE BAIT! And a knife? Screw the P90! With that agility, just bum rush everyone and KNIFE! Let M spot, and have LLENN sneak up on them and KNIFE!

So much for Pito's hidden identity. The song and letter pretty much gave it away. But I guess she's hiding it because you know...idols and popular singers and their fanbase. We'll just have to wait until Pito and LLENN meet in real life, but I won't find it that surprising...
Apr 22, 2018 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
I love this show, I'm so excited to see more of the Squad Jam, I feel they started with the Squad Jam right away just to get viewers attention, instead of starting with the past 2 episodes, but I like the build up and characters outside of the battle scenarios too!

Let's do our best P-Chan!!
Apr 22, 2018 1:09 AM

Feb 2014
I think it's obvious now that Pito is Elsa, the idol that Karen really likes. If it is the case, then I do look forward to seeing Karen's reaction to that. =)

This episode had more info dumping, but it was still fascinating and enjoyable to watch. How the Squad Jam event came to be and how LLENN first met M was pretty cool.

I won't deny that LLENN is super cute, but her real life self, Karen, is one babe though. I like them both equally, but I'm sure that Karen will start to like the way she is eventually. =D

Anyway, now that the episode caught up to the start of the SJ, it should resume from where the event left off in episode one, If the title for the next episode is anyway to go about, I'm guessing the upcoming battles will be more intense than we saw in episode one.
Apr 22, 2018 1:56 AM

May 2016
so is this completely different from the original sao?
Apr 22, 2018 2:02 AM
Oct 2007
Draconix814 said:
Really nice episode. I bet Pito is the singer she's writing to and M is either her brother or bodyguard.

That's what I thought as well!! Else no point of them to show the writing letter part when there's no link. Standalone wise, it doesn't add depth nor emotion too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2018 2:44 AM
Oct 2017
2 eps only for back story, hmmm
Apr 22, 2018 3:07 AM

Oct 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
Farabeuf said:

I ask myself this every time her "real life "character comes on screen. Anime logic. I suppose the creepier otaku out there prefer a vertically challenged childlike character.

You might be overlooking the reality context, in which individual STANDS OUT in a society, in which at least physically the individual is a minority (self/other). And so on for 20 years. Yes, of course it all sounds stupid, but it happens just like that. In a stupid way, when there is seemingly no conflict, yet people are afraid to take the first step in either direction. This could have been an autobiography, except the fact that actual tall girls get picked out to become models or some unneeded crap like idols, in Japan. Otherwise, there is no fault in the premise, and the message is being shaped nicely.

Well I agree that the premise is being shaped nicely, but you're probably correct. I live in a society with mostly tall people so I don't know the struggles of a tall female in Japan
'Time and titles do not matter in the bonds between people'
Apr 22, 2018 3:28 AM
Dec 2017
such a boring episode.
Apr 22, 2018 3:57 AM
Mar 2011
Groen90 said:
dash5611 said:
Another good episode.

So did the author write himself into the story? And did he get to voice that character? I heard he's a gun nut, so that would be pretty cool.

yeah, I'm curious to know if it was actually him that voiced, uh, himself

Yes, he does his 'own' voice.
Apr 22, 2018 4:18 AM

Jul 2012
So I am someone who somehow got major spoilers and dissapointments on the original SAO that I end up staying away. GGO being a spin off honestly gave me a fresh air since I don’t have to see the main OP dude as the lead.

Instead, I get Karen, and her pet peeve for being tall hit me right at home, without the size complex, but playing as a fairly decent 2D anime girl with punches is enough to keep me in high spirits, and learned a lot from MMOs! I hope our lead girl can build up her confidenxe again with her dream avatar in spiral link!

Oh boy Puto..!! And M... This should be interesting!

"Everyone go love Cyan!"
Apr 22, 2018 4:41 AM

Sep 2014
I wonder if they will show us ep1 again next week.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 22, 2018 4:44 AM

Jul 2012
Too much exposition, and most of it we already knew from episode 1.
Apr 22, 2018 4:50 AM

Nov 2011
Aww man I really liked this episode. Especially the part where M was getting an Idea on LLenns abilities. This made it feel like an actual Video Game. This anime has been doing a really good job with that.

Pretty sure Pito is Elsa all the signs are pointing that way. Now who is M??? Hmm

Also I'm pretty sure this takes place after the Death Game incident. Pito mentions being taken out by a Sniper and how there were two people who worked together in BoB...but the title of the next episode makes me reconsider that thought process. If Pito was taken out by Sinon though then thats pretty awesome.

I love Karen more and more each week.
SoraSenpaiApr 22, 2018 4:59 AM
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 22, 2018 5:20 AM

Feb 2017
SoraSenpai said:
Aww man I really liked this episode. Especially the part where M was getting an Idea on LLenns abilities. This made it feel like an actual Video Game. This anime has been doing a really good job with that.

Pretty sure Pito is Elsa all the signs are pointing that way. Now who is M??? Hmm

Also I'm pretty sure this takes place after the Death Game incident. Pito mentions being taken out by a Sniper and how there were two people who worked together in BoB...but the title of the next episode makes me reconsider that thought process. If Pito was taken out by Sinon though then thats pretty awesome.

Icant wait to see karen meeting pitou irl.
I bet pitou would be like, "whoa LLENN, you're so huge..
soo cool! (hugging karen)"
Apr 22, 2018 5:52 AM
Apr 2016
hitomila said:

It is what the title states - an alternative story, a spin-off, if you like. It happens in the same world after the Death Gun incident Kirito solved, it is just the story is taking another direction from villains and heroes and approaches social struggle instead.
Re:formed
Apr 22, 2018 5:57 AM

Jan 2018
Ganbare, P-chan <3

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Apr 22, 2018 6:19 AM

Feb 2017
Im sure kanzaki elsa is pito, and M is a irl professional.
And about the fan letter LMAO
uninstallthegame said:
also, who the fuck writes fan letters like that? "today i played cs:go and killed some nubs from p50, i really like the recoil of that gun and my sticker of dickbutt on it"

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Apr 22, 2018 6:37 AM

Jul 2016
I like the pacing on how their preparation for SJ was condensed in this episode, I almost thought they'll exclude the knife lesson.

They didn't reference Sinon name, mentioned directly (in LN it is), they just referred her as the sniper who fight along with another player, which is probably kirito.

lol that author 4th wall break, gun freak and novelist
Apr 22, 2018 7:08 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I can relate to Karen aka LLENN for being tall. Sometimes being short is just better because you don’t stand out as much.
M sure knows a lot on how to kill. Like his detailed explanations irl it would be something a bodyguard would do if presented with danger.

Apr 22, 2018 8:03 AM

Jan 2013
Anybody else was disturbed by the knife scene? Teaching LLENN how to use it is one thing, but M goes on very specific details like slashing the neck and stabbing the eye feels a bit creepy.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Apr 22, 2018 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
nina444 said:
SoraSenpai said:

Well if Pito does end up being Elsa I dont even think she will bring up her height. Because she knows that it's the reason why she's on GGO.

I think they'll just hug it out and it will be freaking adorable.

They have to meet IRL.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 22, 2018 10:16 AM
Apr 2017
guys ... i think i found best girl again. im still a zero two lover but this girl could be a contender for her spot.

Apr 22, 2018 11:45 AM
May 2016
none of the exposition was unnecessary, but this episode was a little talky, and self-explainy. That fan letter LLENN wrote was weird, I've never written a fan letter, but it seemed more like an excuse to explain herself. I don't feel like we know Pito enough for characters to say, "that seems like her".
Apr 22, 2018 12:16 PM

Mar 2010
that's it, I can't take it anymore, this is boring, this is a too large buildup. it is going and explaining every little detail, next episode think gonna drop this if it doesn't start already.
Apr 22, 2018 12:27 PM

Apr 2015
Nice reference to Sinon and Kirito both wining the same BoB Pito participated in.

In all honesty, I prefer the real life Karen over LLENN. She's so pretty!

Quite a bit of information dump this episode and seems we wil lcontinue with the action next week with where we left of after EP 1.

Pito is a really interesting character and I am already wondering what her real life identity is.
Apr 22, 2018 12:29 PM

Jul 2015
Something something Splatoon joke... Squid Jam... Bunch of squid kids jammed in a small room... squishy sounds... I don't know where this is going at all... Battle Royal... Fortnite... OMG YALL SPLATOON IS GETTING A BATTLE ROYAL MODE!... I'd play that...

Anyway those kids immediately upset me because all of them were talking at the same time, and I'm just sittin here thinking about how annoying that would be in real life. And we got an explanation on the rules for the tournament, some good training for Llenn, and an introduction to M. I now also know a bit more about fighting with knives... Hope I'll never have to use that in real life. Good episode.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 22, 2018 12:49 PM
Jul 2017
a saw her write the letter and was thinking what if she cant come because she is the singer of that consert just asking a know the aswer
Apr 22, 2018 12:51 PM
Jul 2017
SoraSenpai said:
nina444 said:

Well if Pito does end up being Elsa I dont even think she will bring up her height. Because she knows that it's the reason why she's on GGO.

They have to meet IRL.
a think its here bodygaurd
Apr 22, 2018 4:17 PM

Jun 2008
Groen90 said:
dash5611 said:
Another good episode.

So did the author write himself into the story? And did he get to voice that character? I heard he's a gun nut, so that would be pretty cool.

yeah, I'm curious to know if it was actually him that voiced, uh, himself

It is him for sure.

Apr 22, 2018 4:41 PM

Feb 2017
SoraSenpai said:
nina444 said:

They have to meet IRL.

pitou: whoa LLENN.. you're huger than I expected! you're so huggable (hugging karen) XD
she would be surprised either way imo lol

about that fan letter tho,
most likely it would take at least 1-2 months until it reached her personally. Imean she must've been very busy u know, tbh this thought based on Eminem song - Stan XD

if kanzaki n pitou really are the same person. Im pretty sure after she read that fan letter, she would definitely at least self-conscious over it. which obviously mean her attitude towards LLENN would change. I can't wait for that to happen lol
Lab_Rat_0978Apr 22, 2018 4:45 PM
Apr 22, 2018 5:32 PM
Jan 2017
nina444 said:
SoraSenpai said:

They have to meet IRL.

pitou: whoa LLENN.. you're huger than I expected! you're so huggable (hugging karen) XD
she would be surprised either way imo lol

about that fan letter tho,
most likely it would take at least 1-2 months until it reached her personally. Imean she must've been very busy u know, tbh this thought based on Eminem song - Stan XD

if kanzaki n pitou really are the same person. Im pretty sure after she read that fan letter, she would definitely at least self-conscious over it. which obviously mean her attitude towards LLENN would change. I can't wait for that to happen lol
Interesting, because she did mention being kawaii kawaii, and she's the only kawaii kawaii girl in GGO.

Overall, I think this is going to be a happy ending and I think its going to give Karen the opportunity to realise how her height is an advantage and nothing to be ashamed of, hopefully allowing her to be happy irl.
Apr 22, 2018 5:33 PM

May 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
hitomila said:

It is what the title states - an alternative story, a spin-off, if you like. It happens in the same world after the Death Gun incident Kirito solved, it is just the story is taking another direction from villains and heroes and approaches social struggle instead.

WordIsBond said:
hitomila said:

Yeah. Just uses one of the game worlds.

okay great, thanks
Apr 22, 2018 6:04 PM

Jan 2013
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pito is that singer in real life.
Because it's way too big to be a coincidence xD She has a wedding on 1 of February, and the concert is on the same day.

As i may assume, the next episode will continue where the 1st one ended, can't wait to see more battle royale fights.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 22, 2018 6:26 PM

Apr 2018
This episode was okay. It kind of slowed down a bit. Still, I enjoyed when LLENN and M were talking about guns. Let's see what happens in the next episode.
Apr 22, 2018 7:30 PM

May 2009
Damn, I'm still cracking at the author inserting himself and having his characters diss him. Sooo meta xD
Apr 22, 2018 11:48 PM

Mar 2009
lol at the Kino's Journey author cameo. Dude's such a gun otaku.
Apr 23, 2018 12:43 AM

Oct 2008
Definitely love the rather laid-back atmosphere compared to the original series. It's really able to capture the mood of playing a game. The characters are all quite fun to watch and chill with.

If Pito is Elsa, she will now know LLENN's real-life identity. I highly suspect "M" is for Elsa's manager.

Apr 23, 2018 1:00 AM

Jun 2013
Gorgeous girl doesn't like to stand out so she enters a game where she is a Loli, wears pink and hangs out with two weirdos Anime Logic.

HumbertoZero said:

Well, I'm actually enjoying this anime.
It has guns, I like guns; using games as escape; cute characters, and not cute characters than can be interesting too; real life events and no edgy threat like in SAO.

I'll expand a bit more.
I like guns, I play many games with guns and to be honest my favorite arc in SAO was the GGO arc. Not just because of Sinon but the actual game. Removing Kirito from all this was a great choice.

Using games (or anime, or anything) as escape? We all do. The difference lies in what each one of us chooses (and is able to) to escape from "reality". Some people chooses drugs, some others alcohol, some others women, some other people choose videogames. I like the scene in which Pitohui said "I'm doing the same" as it made me realize of something so trivial and obvious that I ignored. Everyone has a reason to be there. Who is she really? What is she there? Not just to have fun, really, why? If you can't do it in real life better do it here, and make a lot of noise.

Cute characters? Well of course! Cute characters sell, let's not deny it but the contrast of cuteness and badassery in this show is kinda cool. Llenn all super pink, yet she yells "I'm gonna kill everyone" hahaha or Pito, well, she goes around looking hot and killing everything (also getting shot by Sinon). M is the only not cute-girl character but I expect him to be good. I mean, I think there's a reason they didn't make him into a pretty boy (let alone making a second Kirito)

And finally, NO EDGY DEATH SENTENCE PLOT! Just ordinary people dealing with real life problems using videogames. Wonderful.

Woo, this comment ended up being longer than I expected it to be. I hope someone reads it all xD

They bashed SAO when they showed them dealing with life and at least they had motives to try to forget their problems even inside the game
Apr 23, 2018 6:28 AM

Dec 2012
Lmao so many tallfags in this thread like gtfo you're in the wrong place.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Apr 23, 2018 7:46 AM

Oct 2008
So this episode is where Pito Introduced LLENN the big mountain dude sniper...who is expert at knife combat.
His primary equipment is M14-EBR and secondary is HK45. Cool!
Frustrated cuz her only school friend wasn't able to get a hold of concert tickets? and then put all your frustrations and disappointments to that VR game!
5/5.

Apr 23, 2018 9:13 AM

Mar 2018
Ah you guys keep repeating each other, yes, Pito is most likely Kanzaki! And M is most likely her bodyguard (good guess on that one, @Draconix814 ). The real question there is I keep expecting this show to steer towards some kind of IRL drama... could it be that Karen will get involved in a plot on Kanzaki's life? Maybe Karen will become Kanzaki's new bodyguard! Hahah that would be great..!

Also curious, is how Pito will react to the letter if she is indeed Kanzaki (which she almost certainly is), since Karen basically revealed herself entirely in the letter. So now Pito/Kanzaki has all the cards... so much for that promised IRL meeting! Maybe she'll be nice and surprise her with front row tickets to one of her concerts ;-)

As far as Karen being beautiful IRL, you're totally right. But, its true that a beautiful person can pretty easily think of themselves as ugly; a sad situation whenever it occurs, but it does occur. These people, Karen, Pito, M, they're not quite mentally stable. But that makes them more interesting, I think.
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Apr 23, 2018 9:26 AM

Mar 2018
SoraSenpai said:
Pito mentions being taken out by a Sniper and how there were two people who worked together in BoB...but the title of the next episode makes me reconsider that thought process. If Pito was taken out by Sinon though then thats pretty awesome.

Yeah, I loved this idea too. Would be super cool if Pito had a cameo somewhere in SAOII! But, I suspect if that had happened someone here would have mentioned it already... :-(

At any rate I liked them referencing SAOII, but I find it a bit odd that Pito just glazed over the fact that people involved with that were getting murdered IRL...
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Apr 23, 2018 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
After seeing this episode the questions in my head have increased, but only one is the one I'm most interested in knowing after seeing the photograph of the idol: perhaps the thing that in a certain sense binds Llenn and Pito, is due to their height and at their age. The narration, despite tracing certain scenes seen in the first episode, is still interesting because those same scenes are integrated with further knowledge on the field of weapons and fighting techniques; I'm not a fanatic, but I love learning new things.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

64 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 11 Discussion

18 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 10 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 9 Discussion

23 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 8 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 16, 1:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.