Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2018 6:40 PM

Jul 2016
I've been wanting to watch One Piece for a while but i'm not sure I want to commit to 800+ episodes. Would I still enjoy the series if i stick to the movies or is it one of those series where i should read the manga instead?
Apr 20, 2018 6:45 PM

Aug 2017
its one of those series where the manga is highly superior
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2018 7:04 PM

Jul 2016
FreyjaLilith said:
The manga IS superior but you should still watch the anime. I do it for the kicks. The voice actors are great. The first episodes are not rushed (albeit the old, classic animation but what do you expect) If you are near me I could let you copy all 832 eps

Thanks for the offer!! but I don't have the hard drive space for it. I'll probably read the manga, maybe watch the anime over time.
Apr 20, 2018 7:12 PM

Oct 2014
You could just watch the movies, but I don't think you'd enjoy it as much since you don't know the Straw Hats. You know, their backstories, motivations, personality, etc. The movies add new crew members as it goes along. Also, some of the movies are just recaps of entire arcs and I don't recommend watching the incomplete, condensed version first.

I think the anime is pretty great up until the time skip around Fishman Island Arc. From that point, just stick to the manga.
Apr 20, 2018 7:20 PM

Jul 2016
Pyro said:
I think the anime is pretty great up until the time skip around Fishman Island Arc. From that point, just stick to the manga.

I had a look at the One Piece Wiki page for the story arcs. Do you think I should watch the Return to Sabaody arc or stop at the previous one and not watch anything on Fisherman Island?
Apr 20, 2018 7:23 PM

Nov 2009
Just read the manga. No need to stress yourself watch 800+ episodes.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Apr 20, 2018 7:28 PM

Oct 2014
ArmStrong_645 said:
Pyro said:

I had a look at the One Piece Wiki page for the story arcs. Do you think I should watch the Return to Sabaody arc or stop at the previous one and not watch anything on Fisherman Island?

Yeah, Return to Sabaody Arc is nice and short. The problems with the anime come after with some of Fishman Island, most of Punk Hazard and definitely all of Dressrosa.
Apr 21, 2018 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
Movies are mostly filler or recaps. You need to devote to the anime. And if you want to watch some of the movies, I would recommend movie 4 and 6 as the best entries, and the only worthwhile.
Apr 21, 2018 5:36 AM

Oct 2013
Don't waste your age watching all the eps, just read the manga, save much time and easier way to catching up
Apr 21, 2018 6:32 AM

Jan 2010
if you're an anime watcher, watch the anime. It's not that bad. I'm a One Piece anime only watcher.

Watch one piece if you:
1. A fan of shounen anime
2. Doesn't mind old art
3. Doesn't mind some childishness
4. Patient enough to watch +100 episodes
5. Watch One Piece to enjoy it and no other reason

Enjoy the ride!
Apr 21, 2018 6:34 AM

Sep 2017
Watch it. It is completely watchable. Don't be in a hurry, just keep at your own pace and you might enjoy it.
Apr 21, 2018 6:35 AM
Nov 2016
In my opinion it's not worth watching, there is so many better shows you could be spending your time on.
That's how I view it.
If anything, read the manga, it's quicker and less drawn out.

Apr 21, 2018 6:38 AM

Nov 2017
look i get it, i started with the anime around last year
about 20 ep. in i dropped it and then picked again after a friend's recommendation
well it gets boring and long drawn at times but really it all pays off
the fights are emotional and the characters are fun
overall i give it a 9/10
go check these out if you have time -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqnC-eVwrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE
Apr 21, 2018 7:09 AM

Jan 2018
Watch it now. I'm a One Piece anime only watcher. Or better yet, just wait for it to be finished just in case you caught yourself a pirate fever and binge it too fast.

If the anime finished at 2000 episodes then I shall have 4000 episodes for a one time rewatch. That's how good One Piece can be. You'll get tempted to watch manga as well to know more but do it if you want and still enjoy anime.

Apr 21, 2018 7:16 AM

May 2016
Start with anime.
Its the same as in manga.

And prepare to get addicted.
Apr 21, 2018 7:24 AM

Jul 2016

I actually just watched these recently.
Definitely will be reading the manga but I'm just gonna take my time with the anime, there's certainly no shortage of episodes. No way would I even attempt binge watching that many episodes.

MagusZero said:
I would recommend movie 4 and 6 as the best entries, and the only worthwhile.

Movie 6 I was going to watch anyway, will watch 4 too now.
Apr 22, 2018 7:55 AM

Apr 2014
Moved from Anime Discussion
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Apr 22, 2018 12:22 PM

Dec 2013
Watch it, it's definitely worth it. Until the time skip at least.
Apr 22, 2018 1:48 PM

Sep 2014
If you like reading manga, do it. Or if you prefer, you can watch the anime instead. The anime is just as great than the manga.

PS: The only weak arc after the time skip is the fish man island and some pacing issue in Dressrosa and that's it. Other than that, One Piece now is just as great as before.
Apr 29, 2018 9:24 PM

May 2011
If you're binge watching the series, the anime is where to start, you won't feel the slow pacing, once you catch up to the anime, start catching up with the manga, or just continue with the anime if you're watching one piece passively and you don't really care that much about pacing because sometimes they adapt like half a chapter per episode, it can be really really boring if you're invested in the story.
May 12, 2018 1:30 AM

Feb 2016
I started watching 3ish months back and am currently in the 700s.
Binge watching OP lets you speed up the pace but makes things like the repetitiveness of tropes and arc formula really apparent.

I really dislike the post-timeskip and absolutely hate Dressrosa -I'm not a manga reader but I think in hindsight; I should have dropped the anime at the timeskip and started reading it.

The only other thing I wished I had done (and now started to do): is to take a significant break in between the arcs.
Taking a few weeks break and watching other shows will let the things that irritated you about the previous arc dissipate a little.
May 12, 2018 6:32 AM

May 2017
It's way better than the recent shit we are getting in anime these days. Must watch series for shounen lovers.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2018 5:44 PM

Jul 2016
KR_P said:
The only other thing I wished I had done (and now started to do): is to take a significant break in between the arcs.
Taking a few weeks break and watching other shows will let the things that irritated you about the previous arc dissipate a little.

I've only watched a handful of episodes since I started this thread but even then I only watch one or two in a single sitting. While I am keen to watch the series, it's not a priority to finish anytime soon.
May 14, 2018 2:44 AM

Feb 2016
ArmStrong_645 said:
KR_P said:

I've only watched a handful of episodes since I started this thread but even then I only watch one or two in a single sitting. While I am keen to watch the series, it's not a priority to finish anytime soon.

That's cool then -you can watch when you feel like it.
I sort of only started watching to check it off the list but I'm only 50something eps behind now, so I'm well and truly invested in the story now.
Aug 14, 2018 6:17 PM
Dec 2014
Since the anime will not end anytime soon you can simply watch 1 episode a day.I'm rewatching it and that what I'm doing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 390 Discussion

enkil - May 5, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 389 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VK11 - Feb 15, 2009

60 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 388 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Somebody - Feb 8, 2009

99 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 387 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sennin_Darkissa - Feb 2, 2009

59 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.