Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2018 6:23 PM

Nov 2017
I know that this is really just based on your sense of humor and opinion, but most of the jokes I see in anime are just obnoxious, something that I feel I have to deal with more than be entertained from. Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are the only exceptions for me, but those were made with western audiences in mind, so maybe it's just a difference in culture.

tl;dr: Most comedy in anime isn't very funny.

Idk am I alone with this mindset? Am I just watching the wrong anime? What are your thoughts on comedy in anime?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 20, 2018 6:32 PM

Oct 2015
Japanese humor does love screeching Sugita and other male characters. I'm sure it is because of the culture difference, but there are small comedic moments that I appreciate in non-comedy anime.

๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ซ๐”ž ๐”ฑ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐” ๐”ฅ ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ,
๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ฑ๐”ฆ๐”ซ' ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ ๐”ด๐”ฆ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ช๐”ถ ๐”ช๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ

Apr 20, 2018 6:33 PM

Nov 2015
I mean its as you said it depends on your sense of humour. I mean i don't find most school slice of life comedies funny, maybe amusing but never that funny. on the other hand something like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei i find really funny. It could also be because you don't like the style of humour, for example i don't find American comedies style funny, but i find the British style of humour funny.
Apr 20, 2018 6:37 PM

Mar 2017
There's definitely some anime comedy that have over-used humor that just relies on fanservice, which is crap. But there are some true gems out there. Namely, Gintama (of course), Hina Festival, and Skilled Teaser Takagi-san just to name a few.
Apr 20, 2018 6:39 PM

May 2016
The last thing that crosses borders is comedy (the first is horror). The more borders merge, the more comedy becomes, well, funny. Anime will become funnier the more countries making anime merge with countries that consume anime...we will get get horrified by scary anime much sooner though.
Apr 20, 2018 6:39 PM

Sep 2017
ching chang land doesn't have that good taste in humor, just the same shite over and over again. there are some comedy anime i laughed at though, like ouran and golden boy. shit like garzey's wang doesn't count
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 20, 2018 6:49 PM

May 2009
This is easy. If you don't laugh at least couple of time and you're already 5 eps in, you better drop it. That series is not for you and not in your sense of humour.

It's ok to drop an anime, don't force yourself. Just look for other anime that'll suit you for what you are. A weeb. xD
Apr 20, 2018 7:05 PM

Apr 2014
Sounds like you're just not watching good comedy anime lol. I promise there are really great ones out there.

"Nothing Lasts Forever, Including Parents, Money, Youth, Your Room,
Dress Shirts, Me, You, and the Gintama Anime."
Apr 20, 2018 7:07 PM

Jan 2018
fideldesu said:
This is easy. If you don't laugh at least couple of time and you're already 5 eps in, you better drop it. That series is not for you and not in your sense of humour.

It's funny you say that because i always end up finishing an anime even if i hate it. lol.
Apr 20, 2018 7:12 PM
Aug 2013
interesting, I mostly only watch comedy if its anime bc I cant stand or find funny most other medium's humour. its very rare for a western product to make me laugh. not that hard for the comedy I watch in anime, or even anime that dont try to be comedy
Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first.
Apr 20, 2018 7:13 PM

Nov 2009
Gintama, One Piece, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou are funny to me. Some are certainly not funny. I don't find Samurai Champloo funny.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Apr 20, 2018 7:13 PM

Dec 2012
To be honest, comedy anime are hit or miss with me. Some are hillarious, some are okay but get old real fast, and some are just plain not funny.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 20, 2018 7:17 PM
Jul 2015
There are variations of comedy for each reception of sense of humor in the anime, from immense ridicule, intellectual jokes, referentials ...
I avoid giving examples, and being anime does not differ from what it is, comedy.
Apr 20, 2018 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
The only anime that made me laugh a lot was Detroit Metal City, Saiki Kusou no Psi Nan is also really good but it is not always funny.

Aside from these two anime, I have hardly laugh watching anime, so I know how you feel.

Apr 20, 2018 7:25 PM

Jun 2017
No you aren't alone but it seems you don't watchedโ€‹ the real comedies
Apr 20, 2018 7:28 PM

Oct 2017
I had the same mindset (and prefer western humor) until I watched Gintama which was just hilarious so I would recommend that series to you as well.
Apr 20, 2018 7:42 PM
Jun 2015
The reason why anime is probably less funny for the same reason Family Guy would not be as popular in other countries. You need a intimate understanding of culture and language to understand referential or word pun jokes. There also is the problem that anime jokes are iterative rather than creative which leads to a funny joke told a hundred times instead of a hundred funny jokes.
Apr 20, 2018 7:46 PM

Mar 2017
First, for visual comedy, most of what I find doesn't know how to cut. I find that knowing where to cut is a handy skill when doing visual comedy.

Take a look at this general joke progression:

[Setup] -> [Execution] -> [Conclusion]

The thing here is that you can cut the execution part and go straight to conclusion, especially when the viewers can already easily extrapolate what happens in between the setup and the conclusion. Otherwise you're just dragging the punchline and lessening its impact

For example:

Step 1.) Fantasy isekai party encounters a slime monster and laughs at how slimes are basically easy-peasy RPG monsters in IRL PC games.
Step 2.) Fantasy isekai party gets beaten by slime monster.
Step 3.) Fantasy isekai party runs away from slime monster.

Do you really need step 2? Can you make step two visually comedic and interesting? No? Delete it. It flows much better that way. It's a better punchline. It's funnier.

There was that guy that posted about Japanese style of humor and how the confirmation that it is a joke is part of the joke. So, I guess this a different culture thing.

Second, for aural-based comedies. It's not a comedy show. It's a scripted improv. It's two people taking turns being snarky to each other. This is actually more the trend in several Western shows and films I found than an anime one. Sure it can be funny. And a lot of people, including me, find it funny when it's done so well, but you can do so much more with the visual presentation. It's an audio-visual work. Surely you can do so much more than just close-up shots of people talking deadpan in a coffee shop.

The comedy shows I love tend mix and match the two: aural and visual. And I find it so much better because it offers so much more avenues to be funny rather than relying almost solely on one.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Apr 20, 2018 7:47 PM

Aug 2017
yes, isnt that the point of comedy???
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2018 8:08 PM

Aug 2013
I'm in complete opposition. For me Japanese sense of humour is great and it IS funny. I'm not a fan of comedy outside anime at all and I often try to avoid watching anything comedy related that isn't an anime.
The thing is you need to understand at least a little Japanese, know some kanji and their culture to enjoy it, because it's often multi-layered combo of puns, references (to precious episodes/situations for example), visuals and few contexts. That's why you can't watch a random episode of comedy series (even if it's episodic), because you simply won't understand it.

I find most of western comedy movies/series (especially American) just pathetic and cringy rather than funny (there are exemptions like some British, French, older Polish comedies and generally European, but as I said, I try to avoid this genre as much as possible). That's why Cowboy Bebop wasn't funny at all for me and humor in FMA Brotherhood was just unbearable.

Ps. There is almost no real comedies in your list to be honest. And even if - it is something like KonoSuba, NGNL or OPM which I consider as boring and completely uninteresting.
rsc-plApr 20, 2018 9:44 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 20, 2018 8:19 PM

May 2015
Cromartie High School, Mob Psycho and Gintama made me laugh so hard, but it's as you said, it depends on each one sense of humor.
Apr 20, 2018 8:30 PM

Apr 2015
Some are funny and some are not, but I can't really see them being obnoxious or anything. Boring, maybe, but obnoxious?

As for breast grabs and bathroom gyaahs and the like, which I guess could be obnoxious, not even sure they're written in with that much comedic purpose in mind. Even with cultural differences etc, I can't see the Japanese audience dying of laughter in those scenes, they exist for other reasons
Apr 20, 2018 8:42 PM

Oct 2013
Like drama, I'll usually only watch a comedy anime if there's another element to it.
Have to agree, as someone who loves comedy, it's rare for me to find an anime that I find funny.

More recently I've tried Pop Team Epic, which I couldn't watch past 3 episodes, and Gintama, which I stopped after 55.
For Gintama, this was my second time trying to watch, and there were some episodes I thought were pretty funny, but I wasn't sure I wanted to sit through all the ones I didn't enjoy just to get to the ones I did.
Apr 20, 2018 8:44 PM

Aug 2014
Yes.
And like you said it depends on your humour.

What makes it sometimes unfunny because it felt forced or stereotypes.
Apr 20, 2018 8:54 PM
Apr 2018
Try punchline “parody series”

Makes fun of the superhero gente ie: one punch man, my hero
With a steins gate time travel twist
Apr 20, 2018 8:57 PM

May 2016
Well, I don't usually find Comedy in general funny but the american-style of comedy is even worsr imo than japanese (extremely cringey and exagerated). I haven't laughed in any of them but on the other hand I have laughed endlessly in some animes.

In the end, it just depends in your taste in humour (if you prefer brainless comedy or satiric comedy for example).
Apr 20, 2018 9:21 PM

Aug 2017
I don't really like the comedy genre, Of course mainly because I don't find it funny. Comedy is just not the genre for me.

But if you like comedy but anime comedy didn't make you laugh then that could be just your humour or perhaps as you said cultural difference.
Apr 20, 2018 9:34 PM

Dec 2015
I really like anime comedy. Like someone else said someone has made a topic trying to defend it and I just happened to dig it up. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1717500

Apart from that you shouldn't expect to understand their jokes unless you speak basic Japanese and can read kanji because lots of their humor is lost in translation.
Apr 20, 2018 9:44 PM

Aug 2014
Watch School Rumble. (That's the funniest anime I've seen.)
Apr 20, 2018 9:47 PM

Mar 2012
Maybe you got offended by japanese humor.

if you want comedy that will appeal to your taste then watch Rick and Morty instead.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Apr 20, 2018 9:54 PM

Mar 2016
Yes. At least for me who are not from west. Anything i'd pick for watching is mostly have comedy tag in the genre, especially if it from yonkoma adaptation. I really liked them.

For your question
1. Am i alone with that mindset?
No, people who don't really into comedic rather than action/adventure/thriller/etc usually doesnt like most of comedy-centered anime.
2 Am i just watching the wrong anime?
No, please... majority comedic centered anime are usually similar, with manzai there and there. And Samurai Champloo and Cowboy bebep is NOT comedy-centered anime i think (i'm watching that till now, so i don't know with it).
So the answer is your watching wrong show, but even you watched the right ones it still be unfunny for you
3 You thoughts on comedy in anime?
I think the comedy is needed in every anime even for the serious anime, to lower the tension in most action-related anime.
Comedy on anime is usually overused, but i dont mind with that as long it not getting old and still made me laugh
And comedy in anime is maintly using manzai technique which i always appreciated that and i really liked this kind of comedy.

Apr 20, 2018 9:55 PM

Oct 2017
I think I'm the type that find humor in exaggerated and childish ones. The ones that would be obnoxious to a lot of people. Because if I were to pick an anime that made me laugh the most, it would be KonoSuba followed by To LOVE-Ru and Shokugeki which all have a perverted side to them that's common between those three.

Angel Beats! deserved a recognition from me for probably making me laugh the hardest for a single scene, and that one was childish too. Stuff like Gintama and Daily Life of High School Boys doesn't really suit well with me. I mean, a couple of Gintama's humor really got me hard that I can't breathe for a while but I had to sit through a lot of episodes before getting to those ones. For the latter, some worked but not as much as Gintama. So I'm concluding that obnoxious jokes work well with me, although at times it can get pretty annoying too but that depends on the situation (such as character investment).
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 20, 2018 10:54 PM

Jul 2017
The fun in Japanese humour lies on "The attempts to entertain" more than others as humility is a big part of their culture, and I really appreciate that. But ultimately it comes down to whether you share that sense of humour.
Apr 20, 2018 11:02 PM

Sep 2011
If we're talking about Japanese puns or any related to Japanese culture when it comes to their humor, of course you might not find it funny because you can't relate to them since you're not Japanese/don't live in Japan.

For me, excluding comedy that's about related culture, I doubt most comedy anime aren't funny for me. At the very least all comedy anime that I've watched has one very funny scene.

Apr 21, 2018 12:03 AM

Nov 2017
holysauron said:
I really like anime comedy. Like someone else said someone has made a topic trying to defend it and I just happened to dig it up. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1717500

Apart from that you shouldn't expect to understand their jokes unless you speak basic Japanese and can read kanji because lots of their humor is lost in translation.

Thanks for posting that link. That post makes the culture difference a bit more distinct for me.

I also thought that maybe comedy anime would be more funny if I could actually understand what they were saying instead of reading the subtitles.
Apr 21, 2018 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
No they're not. Because comedy anime lacks balls, the because the Japanese are obsessed with being so politically correct. It:

-refuses to make any meaningful commentary on any subjects
-lack buildup
-punchlines are weak
-is rarely based on any relation to reality
-Is not willing to mock/subvert gender stereotypes, even though Japan is an ancient nation with a long history of sexism that still exists today
-is too quick: the buildup and punchlines happen in such a short span of time, there's no impact.

When comedy anime is not making the same repetitive jokes about boobs and peeping, when it's not abusing characters' quircky personalities as a one-trick-pony (Konosuba), when it's not having the punchline being another character screaming and stating the joke, it's making "safe" jokes about cheap 100 yen knives (Devil is a Part Timer), and a lady in a picture so ugly everyone pukes.

I just watched half of Chris Rock's Tamborine. Why was the 30 min I watched from this special far more memorable and funnier than every comedy anime I ever watched? Because it has:

-meaningful commentary
-buildup
-UNEXPECTED punchlines
-Weight
-Roots in REALITY

What sounds more memorable to you guys?:

-Chris Rock mocking people who claim police who kill innocent people are just the "few bad apples", by stating how actually NICE "bad apple" sounds, or:
-Darkness (Konosuba) getting horny because she's a retarded masochist, for the 50th fucking time?

The reason why people find comedy anime funny, is because the general populace's standards of humour are that low. In my high school, telling a guy, "suck my dick" in front of the whole fucking class makes everyone laugh. In Eromanga Sensei, when a 12 year old girl says she likes to suck dick, it was memed to death by everyone on MAL, while I completely forgot the joke (and the anime).
Apr 21, 2018 12:19 AM

Mar 2017
impossablank said:

I also thought that maybe comedy anime would be more funny if I could actually understand what they were saying instead of reading the subtitles.

English Dub :>

Worked for Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Apr 21, 2018 12:22 AM

Jul 2017
I tend to have this for certain comedy anime. I saw a lot of Nichijou and Gintama moments in funny anime compilations, but majority of them never made me laugh.

But there are some anime that made me laugh a lot.

I mean, when it comes to funny moments in anime that made me laugh a lot, the first three moments that were in my head was either Shirou's reaction to Saber being naked in 2006's Fate/stay night, the 'make Kanade fail her exams' scene in Angel Beats, and that one scene in the first episode of Kotoura-san. They all made me laugh so hard, so it really depends on our sense of humour.
Mikura39Apr 21, 2018 12:37 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Apr 21, 2018 12:25 AM

Feb 2018
There are some anime that made me laugh quite a lot but it's usualy either just hillarious or unfunny garbage I have rarely experienced any middle ground
Apr 21, 2018 12:32 AM
Aug 2016
I do mostly agree, quite a lot of subs aren’t that funny. There are exceptions, like Gintama, but they aren’t that great. However, when the jokes in an anime are changed to suit American audiences in a dub, such as Ghost Stories and Danganronpa, they are incredibly funny.
Food is the way to a mans heart.
Food wars is the way to mine.

'So long as this world stays nonsensical, there'll be room in it for a nonsensical person like me.'
Apr 21, 2018 12:45 AM

Oct 2013
If you try hard enough, every anime genre is comedy on its own way lol
Apr 21, 2018 1:23 AM

Jan 2018
It's definitely the style of humor. I don't find Western jokes as really funny or worthy for me to go find more. I find humor in anime to be at least amusing for the most part and it doesn't need to make me laugh. It's like the smile made by Gintama characters when I watch comedy anime.

All that it takes to make me laugh generally is like a popular Mr. Bean cartoon or real person. When you love a person or character, you'll be more invested in them and find more plus points to enjoy.
Apr 21, 2018 1:29 AM

Jul 2012
I adore comedy in anime but I would also say I thought the comedy aspect in Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo for the most part was pretty weak.
Apr 21, 2018 1:32 AM

Mar 2018
depends on your tastes, most comedy anime i have seen have sexual tones and tons of references and i find them hilarious....some comedy anime which made me laugh are
konosuba
osomatsu-san
gekkan-shoujo nozaki-kun
danshi kokousei no nichijou
gugure! kokkuri-san
and bonus.....oruchuban-ebichu
Apr 21, 2018 1:38 AM

May 2009
impossablank said:
I know that this is really just based on your sense of humor and opinion, but most of the jokes I see in anime are just obnoxious, something that I feel I have to deal with more than be entertained from. Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are the only exceptions for me, but those were made with western audiences in mind, so maybe it's just a difference in culture.

tl;dr: Most comedy in anime isn't very funny.

Idk am I alone with this mindset? Am I just watching the wrong anime? What are your thoughts on comedy in anime?
I find that the stereotype of anime comedy involves slapstick gags, face faults, and exaggeration. Which really isn't my thing.

On the other hand, more subtle humor elements tend to be more my taste. Witty comebacks, for example, or "only sane man" setups. They do occur, but they're just not quite as obvious and easily identifiable on a superficial level.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 21, 2018 2:24 AM

Aug 2015
Comedy anime is the only reason I didn't stop watching anime by this moment.
Apr 21, 2018 2:33 AM
Dec 2013
I find blue comedy to be the funniest style of comedy in anime.

If we're talking about anime that is pure comedy, then I don't find them as funny as anime where the comedy is secondary. It's worse if the comedy relies on Japanese cultural references since I just won't get the joke. Slapstick in anime is also rarely funny.

If we're just talking about comedic moments in anime, a gag I always find funny is when one or two characters are doing something embarrassing or perverted, and another character walks in on them. Hilarious every time. In that case, I find comedy in anime funny.
wildhoodApr 21, 2018 2:40 AM
Apr 21, 2018 4:43 AM

Jul 2014
Define 'funny'. There's such a thing as comedic genres, and everyone has preferred and dealbreaker comedic genres. I, for example, really don't like reference-based comedy (which Lucky Star is full of, for example - I still moderately enjoyed Lucky Star for its other comedic genres) or blue comedy done poorly* (Seitokai no Ichizon is a giant example of blue comedy done poorly) but I don't mind blue comedy when done well (NouCome)

Slapstick, deadpan and non sequitor are my favourite comedic genres which is why Nichijou and Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou are my favourite comedy anime.

*Poorly done blue comedy is being too overt, in your face, lack of subtlety and often graphically explaining every single joke, killing their effect by patronizing the watcher.

Anime that have made me roar with laughter at least once:
Nichijou
Nichibros
Senyuu
NouCome
Working! (franchise)
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Yuru Yuri
Non Non Biyori
Tonari no Seki-kun
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Denki-gai
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Minami-ke (franchise)

So not a lot, so far. But other comedies have been enjoyable despite not having me in stitches. And Nichijou is just king of them all, Nichibros not far behind.
Red_TuesdayApr 21, 2018 4:48 AM
Apr 21, 2018 4:47 AM

Aug 2017
I definitely get some giggles out of comedy anime, but nothing compared to the laughs I get out of western comedy. Comedy is probably funnier to the target audience and demographic, afterall
Apr 21, 2018 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
You haven't seen the good ones then. Look at Cromartie, Mitsudomoe, Detroit Metal City, FLCL, Daily Lives of HighBoys,Great Teacher Onizuka, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Watamote, Noucome and Azumanga Daioh; for some notable mentions.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 11 hours ago

32 by RobertBobert »»
43 seconds ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 3 hours ago

10 by Ricchan__ »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by PostMahouShoujo »»
2 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

59 by Archfiend836 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

81 by PostMahouShoujo »»
25 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.