Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2018 6:20 AM

Dec 2017
I suppose that hardcore otakus here knew and felt this before. However, I also assume that there are filthy casuals who don't know so I'll explain what the void is.

The void is the feeling you get after watching a show where you don't know what to do with your life. You have put so much emotion and time into a show and now that it is over you don't know what to do with yourself.
It feels like there is basically a hole in your heart that can only be filled with that show or a similar show. You have a mix of emotions, but the world seems different after finishing a certain show.

After I watch great shows, I always remember the scenes that give me an impact. I reflect the message of the story, give a deeper thought about the theme, the characters, and the ending. Numerous thoughts surge to my mind and until I reach comprehension, it feels empty.
How do you get through this? I just take a break so I can rest when I feel this. lel
FrobblyApr 18, 2018 7:53 AM
Apr 18, 2018 6:22 AM

Apr 2016
I hardly believe there are any otaku here.

Your question, i don't have the Void.
Apr 18, 2018 6:28 AM

Feb 2017
When I was watch at least 30 episodes per day I feltl like similar but after I found another anime or taking a a few days break or talking people these feeling was lessened. But now I can't feel nothing from animes so I hope I feel like that again.
Apr 18, 2018 6:33 AM

Mar 2012
https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=the+void&u=&uloc=1&loc=1

Not a perfect search but whatever.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 18, 2018 6:42 AM

Mar 2018
I know this feeling, though I don't consider myself an Otaku. I usually get over it by watching some other anime which are basically "turn your brain off and enjoy", like some decent ecchi harem anime.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 2014
Never experienced it. I don't have so much free time that I don't know what to do with it.

Jan 2018
Thank you for the accurate definition, professor MAL. I bet that accurate definition doesn't encourage discussion at all without pandering to your taste.
Apr 18, 2018 6:57 AM

Mar 2016
I just felt that way yesterday after finishing one of manga that I really liked. In the past, it usually took me few days to cope. I tried reading many one shots since yesterday and it somehow works. The void is still here but the more I read new manga, the more it slowly fades away.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Apr 18, 2018 7:00 AM

Nov 2015
Nope i've never experienced "the void". I guess i'm not a hardcore otaku like you...
Apr 18, 2018 7:04 AM

Feb 2018
I dont think you need be a hardcore otaku to experience this phenomenon it can happen with any kind of Entertainment. And yes I knew this feeling after finishing some of my favorite shows when that happens I usually immediately rewatch my favorite moments then think about the show for a while and consume some youtube content concerning said show before I rewatch it in its entirety.
Apr 18, 2018 7:13 AM

Jan 2017
I experienced that feeling only with Naruto Shippuden, coz the thought that someday i will finish it never came to my mind.
So it made me empty when i completed it actually
Apr 18, 2018 7:26 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Sankarea had this effect on me pretty badly, and I didn't watch anime for a few days, not because I just wanted to do other things but because I specifically just didn't want to watch something else. Really loved it too, just spent a while gushing about it.

Apr 18, 2018 7:26 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I guess I don't feel that because I interact with the fandom constantly but I understand that's not for everyone.
Apr 18, 2018 7:34 AM
Jan 2012
I simply enjoy that feeling. And before it even disappears, I find another thing that will consume my attention.

I am trying not to forget that wonderful experience I had with whatever I just finished, appreciate it and hold closer to my heart.
Apr 18, 2018 7:42 AM

Apr 2018
Even though I'm not a otaku i'll have experienced it before.
What I did was simply take a break or do something else that I enjoy like gaming. Oh yeah searching the web for rumors about sequels helped too, though that is just me and my odd taste.
Wake me up for another crusade
Apr 18, 2018 9:39 AM

May 2009
I don't really feel this because the mood from the end of the show tends to linger for a while for me, like for a few days at least.

So I just don't start another show (or story-heavy game) for a while.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 18, 2018 12:01 PM

Jan 2018
I want to die but I decide not to because too much of a hassle. Then I get deppression for about 2-3 weeks and then I'm fine. Then I find another anime and repeats.
Apr 18, 2018 12:05 PM

Sep 2017
i watch more shows, specially comedy or slice of life ones that have a sweet atmosphere around them. and there's a ton of them.
Apr 18, 2018 12:16 PM

Sep 2017
another one of these topics
i think the only time i felt actually sad over an anime ending was fmab, couldn’t enjoy anime for weeks after that.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 18, 2018 12:20 PM

Sep 2014
I don't know. One Piece didn't end yet. I'll know what the void is when it'll be finished for good.
Apr 18, 2018 12:31 PM

Mar 2016
All anime offers something different. Carry multiple voids with you at once and at the same time fend them off by continuing to watch anime.
Apr 18, 2018 2:38 PM

Jul 2017
whenever I finished watching a series I feel empowered and would like to watch more of the same kind
Instead of feeling empty my feelings are fulfilled and I begin to feel energetic and it allows my imagination to expand
Apr 18, 2018 2:45 PM

Apr 2015
I felt this a few time when I was a hardcore otaku. I remember feeling it after watching Toradora and a few other of my favorite animes. I don't watch a lot of anime currently so it's been a while since I've felt ''the void''. When that happened to me I either stopped watching anime for a few days or I tried to find a similar anime/completly different one (honestly it really depends on the anime that made me feel that feeling of emptiness)
Apr 18, 2018 2:46 PM

Jun 2017
The Void...

That sounds like a movie? based on idk , a Stephen King Book?

Well , there's a movie called "the Void"

Sadly , it isn't King's

Apr 18, 2018 2:56 PM

Mar 2018
Otaku or not, when somethig good is over it's bound to have an impact. The easiest way to deal with the void (at least for me) is to concentrate on something else for a while (like watching another show). But honestly, is it that bad? The void only means that it was good and you should be glad that you've watched/done it... Keep in mind though that I'm a hypocrite and I can't follow my own advice so it's fighting voids with bigger voids for me.
Apr 18, 2018 3:01 PM
Jul 2015
You give it a short and specific definition.
It can happen when you end up with something to which you have affection, the best way to ignore that feeling? Find something better.
Time does not cure everything, it only makes it hurt less.
Apr 18, 2018 11:13 PM

Feb 2015
Never happened to me because I'm not self-inserting twat.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Apr 18, 2018 11:21 PM

Jan 2009
i like to call it Withdrawal Syndrome instead, i still get that after a season has ended and then there is a whole week before a new season starts and when the new season starts im fine again
Apr 18, 2018 11:33 PM
Jul 2015
I can understand your feeling, OP.

Currently I'm quite satisifed with the ongoing light novel Kenja no Mago and eagerly awaiting for the Anime version, but I am sure The Void will come to me once the serialization of Mago LN ends, because currently that is the only LN that I like that is non-harem, has a gender balanced cast, and the MC's close male friend is cool and occupies a major role in the story.

There would be no other LN at the moment that has such 3 settings I mentioned above that I like, so after Mago ends, what am I to read or watch ?

A series with a Double Male Protagonist each getting their own harems and each having near equal screentime is good for me too, but no such LN exists now. Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru doesn't count because MC's male best friend's harem group doesn't have as much screentime as the MC's group.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Apr 18, 2018 11:35 PM

Jul 2015
I usually distract myself with cartoons or series on tv and favorite movies, especially from ghibli and/or disney. Usually after a week or two (my longest break was 5 months) I come back to watching anime by finding the highest rated or most promising anime of the season and give it a go even if I didn't really liked the description. It's like self-training. Show yourself that there are other shows you can as well enjoy and you'll get out of that feeling after few episodes.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Apr 19, 2018 12:11 AM

Dec 2012
I don't have to deal with it because I don't get that feeling. When I finish something I feel satisfaction instead for time well spent (if it was good), disappointment (if it was lame), or maybe sad and/or angry (if I thought it sucked).

Anyhow there is never a void because I'm always watching at least 5-15 shows. I'm watching 11 from this season, 1 finished show, and 1 rewatch at the moment.
KruszerApr 19, 2018 12:19 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 19, 2018 6:49 PM

Dec 2017
Nisekoi was a hard one after that there was Nyaruko san. I just watched more anime and got interest in it.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Apr 19, 2018 7:13 PM

Apr 2013
The feeling you described is something I felt when I started to watch anime in a very obsessively way, watching like 100 or more series in one year but as the years passed you get used to finish what you consider a really “great” serie without feeling a void. I think after some years I got inmune to that feeling.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2018 4:26 AM
Jan 2018
I guess you can call it over-consumption as well, right? I have had something similar to this a few times over the course of the last decade and a half now. I remember feeling something along these lines back in 2009 and stopped watching for a full 2 years. Started watching in 2012 again, and then got dry and lost interest by end 2013. And then picked up again in 2015. Leaving a whole bunch of anime to finish up can make it at least feel like its fresh. Atm, I'm not even remotely consuming anime as much as before. I don't have any particular shows that I look forward to, and I felt like I could drop any of the shows that have been airing in the last 2 years without batting an eye.

So I guess my advice would be to take a break.
Apr 20, 2018 4:29 AM

May 2016
I felt that in the past not anymore, I was watching every ova or spin off of the show and wanted to watch new episodes like crazy.
Best way to get over this watch some high rated shows like FMA or something else.

More topics from this board

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

74 by Ex-Aid »»
3 minutes ago

» please help me find this anime

supertitao - 4 minutes ago

0 by supertitao »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 6 hours ago

25 by Otakupervert890 »»
5 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

30 by _Doofenshmirtz_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

33 by Catalano »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.