Forum Settings
Forums

Amazon.jp doesn't let you buy (most) manga anymore

New
Apr 16, 2018 2:12 PM

Jun 2016
I haven't seen much talk about this online, but it looks like in the past week or so Amazon.jp stopped shipping manga to countries outside Japan using AmazonGlobal. No one seems to know why, or which manga you can still have shipped, but it's definitely a thing now. I threw some random manga in my cart for an example:

It looks like this change may only be for printed material, I've had no problems when testing figures.

Here's the only two places I've found online talking about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazon/comments/8artxy/buying_manga_from_amazon_japan/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/did-amazon-japan-remove-international-shipping-for-manga.35135/

What do you guys think, is this a bug in their system or what? I'm hoping it is, and think it possibly could be. When I do a search and check the "International Shipping" box, it shows items that actually can't be shipped.

Disappointed. I was hoping to get Galaxy Express 999 manga there since CDJapan is out of stock on most volumes.
Apr 16, 2018 2:27 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah it's for printed material (about 95% of it for US customers) as my Metal Max Xeno Collector's Edition copy hasn't been cancelled. No clue why though, as unlike music where Avex were being dicks and had released a statement, this came out of the blue. There's some theories there but even then, it doesn't make a ton of sense because some can buy their printed material and many either cannot get certain items and some can't get any at all.

Apr 16, 2018 2:39 PM

Dec 2015
I wonder if it depends on what country you live in. I’m in the UK and haven’t had a problem ordering manga from them.

Apr 16, 2018 2:48 PM

Aug 2016
This actualy started a week or so ago. There are mixed information on what his going. Apparently, there's a bug on the site, which might be true because I can now order some mangas I couldn't yesterday (Kobayashi). I think this is the most likely explanation. Some say some publishers have put restriction but they don't make sense either, so that can't be right.

I'Ve sent an email asking why I randomly couldn't order some mangas I've been ordering for a while (like boku no hero academia) and they we're extremely vague on what was going on and basicaly just told me to wait it out.

I think it's just a matter of waiting it out, because like I said, I can now order stuff I couldn't earlier.

Hilariously enough, it's completely different for everyone, I've been reading board and tried stuff some couldn't order, and I could, but they couldn't. Someone had an issue where they could get a 19 volume of a serie but not 18.

I'm pretty sure the bug explanation is correct and that it will get resolved in time (because I could see stuff in the internationnal shipping filter that got an error about my adress). I'm just happy I could snag Kobayashi's Maid Dragon 7 today. I was supposed to order like 16 mangas, but I could only order 3 of them yesterday, now I could get more of them an hour ago (got a couple while I could in case .... whatever the hell is happening... strikes again).
Apr 16, 2018 3:14 PM

Jun 2016
ChibiRico8 said:
This actualy started a week or so ago. There are mixed information on what his going. Apparently, there's a bug on the site, which might be true because I can now order some mangas I couldn't yesterday (Kobayashi). I think this is the most likely explanation. Some say some publishers have put restriction but they don't make sense either, so that can't be right.

I'Ve sent an email asking why I randomly couldn't order some mangas I've been ordering for a while (like boku no hero academia) and they we're extremely vague on what was going on and basicaly just told me to wait it out.

I think it's just a matter of waiting it out, because like I said, I can now order stuff I couldn't earlier.

Hilariously enough, it's completely different for everyone, I've been reading board and tried stuff some couldn't order, and I could, but they couldn't. Someone had an issue where they could get a 19 volume of a serie but not 18.

I'm pretty sure the bug explanation is correct and that it will get resolved in time (because I could see stuff in the internationnal shipping filter that got an error about my adress). I'm just happy I could snag Kobayashi's Maid Dragon 7 today. I was supposed to order like 16 mangas, but I could only order 3 of them yesterday, now I could get more of them an hour ago (got a couple while I could in case .... whatever the hell is happening... strikes again).
Thanks for the info. I was going to send an email to Amazon, but I guess I won't bother if you've already tried and got no results.
Apr 16, 2018 3:21 PM

Aug 2016
Spagem said:
Thanks for the info. I was going to send an email to Amazon, but I guess I won't bother if you've already tried and got no results.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother unless you have a specific issue with an order or a damaged product, they don't seem to be extremely helpful otherwise or have vague/generic anwsers. Sadly.

Also, looks like the order I made a couple hours ago went through no problem. So if you do order something that is ... erh.. allowed for now, it should be fine. I have no idea how it affects pre-order though, presumably since the order is already made it shouldn't have issue. Hmmm.
Apr 17, 2018 3:57 AM

Dec 2011
Just buy from honto. Problem solved. And with an order like that one you'd probably save a lot of money on shipping too.

... Though you won't get the nendoroid there for obvious reasons.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 17, 2018 5:51 AM

Jun 2016
@kuuderes_shadow Not even Honto has all the volumes of Galaxy Express 999 in stock, let alone even the first volume. (which is really all I wanted, that order you see is just an example I made.) They have the newer print in stock, but that's a more expensive colored version for around $15 a piece.

Pretty disappointing I can't find any of the $5 - $6 volumes in stock anywhere but Amazon.
Apr 18, 2018 5:02 PM

Aug 2016
Quick update ; things are still screwy on the site. I can order pretty much everything I tried at random, but I couldn't order anything from series that I already ordered O.o??? Things are getting better, slowly. Yesterday, I had Infinite Stratos 12 excluded from int shipping, but now I can pre-order it.

Also, my order from two days ago went it earlier this morning, so I can safely say there is no issue after going through check out.

Might have to check on Honto, just in case, though.
Apr 18, 2018 5:05 PM

Jun 2016
ChibiRico8 said:
Quick update ; things are still screwy on the site. I can order pretty much everything I tried at random, but I couldn't order anything from series that I already ordered O.o??? Things are getting better, slowly. Yesterday, I had Infinite Stratos 12 excluded from int shipping, but now I can pre-order it.

Also, my order from two days ago went it earlier this morning, so I can safely say there is no issue after going through check out.

Might have to check on Honto, just in case, though.
Good to know there's no issue after check out, thanks.

Figured I'd check if Galaxy Express 999 is allowed to ship now. Doesn't look like it, but I'll just keep checking every day or so and try and get an order in.
Apr 18, 2018 5:18 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah, that's what I did. It took me 3 days of checking to be able to order Kobayashi-san Chi no maid dragon 7, which is kinda funny since I could pre-order the Elma spin off and the official anthology xD

Sigh, I'm still hoping to be able to get Tobaku no Kyojin soon...

Good luck on getting Galaxy xD
Apr 24, 2018 2:04 PM

Aug 2016
Spagem said:
Figured I'd check if Galaxy Express 999 is allowed to ship now. Doesn't look like it, but I'll just keep checking every day or so and try and get an order in.

IT'S FIXED!!! I can now order everything I want again (My wallet is crying its life xD). You should try getting a look back. Hopefuly it's fully fixed for everyone, I haven't seen anyone mentionned it yet.
Apr 29, 2018 10:44 PM

Jun 2016
ChibiRico8 said:
Spagem said:

IT'S FIXED!!! I can now order everything I want again (My wallet is crying its life xD). You should try getting a look back. Hopefuly it's fully fixed for everyone, I haven't seen anyone mentionned it yet.
Looks like it's fixed for me too. (America)

Glad this is over. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

375 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
6 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

151 by Armandoriel »»
8 hours ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Today

1 by Alexioos95 »»
8 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

21 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:55 PM

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

52 by Luxology »»
Yesterday, 5:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.