Forum Settings
Forums

Why are people so strict with anime adaptions?

Apr 15, 11:19 PM

If they miss out on one little detail from the manga they'll start ranting about the anime being a shit adaption and how the manga is better in every way. When I don't even notice the details in the manga.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Apr 15, 11:26 PM

Chikipichi said:

If they miss out on one little detail from the manga they'll start ranting about the anime being a shit adaption and how the manga is better in every way. When I don't even notice the details in the manga.
I think a number of them got into the franchise in question starting with the manga, or even if they didn't, they may have read forward in the manga beyond the last episode's material, so naturally they'd like to see the stuff they've already seen, given a proper anime treatment consistent with what they've seen (unless they hated it I guess, in which case they're probably not still fans).

Apr 16, 3:08 AM

browsing seasonal discussions on mal is bad for health

Apr 16, 3:25 AM

Because they are familiar with the manga and want to show off. I call them manga purists. I will try to refrain myself on Hinamatsuri anime forums :))
"Even if there's a wide world and stories beyond the main focus, I don't think it's necessary
to end with the protagonist having been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Apr 16, 3:28 AM
I don't really understand it either. If I wanted to experience the source material, I'd read the source material, not watch the anime. I couldn't give less of a shit if something doesn't follow the manga.

Apr 16, 3:33 AM

Because the anime represents the source material. People want it to stay faithful to it's source because you know, there are a lot of fans anticipating a good adaption of their favorite manga or ln/vn.

Apr 16, 3:40 AM
Only thing that is pissing me off nowadays is cheap cgi animation, i can't understand why u woud want to use cheap tricks to get away and make something that coud be cool into shit.
Inuyashiki is one of those animes where they used cheap animation tricks.

Apr 16, 3:45 AM

Most people I saw weren't ranting,but just stating some complaints. That is perfectly fine imo.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Apr 16, 3:54 AM

FMmatron said:
Most people I saw weren't ranting,but just stating some complaints. That is perfectly fine imo.
lmao just looking at the persona 5 adaptation forum discussions makes me question this

they make it feel like its the end of the world

Apr 16, 4:10 AM
Chocobo

People just wanting the story they grew to knew to be animated without shortcuts or going original, primarily, I assume.

Also, anime tends to lead some into reading the source material so it probably would definitely help if the anime adaption stays close to the original so that the viewer doesn't go to read and is like thrown off by the different story direction or similar.

Maybe people just feeling that they should do no less than be faithful? Taking someone else's story and going a different route with it is probably something some fans don't want to see. It's not their (the adapting studio) story after all, so maybe they feel they shouldn't be changing it or deciding what is and isn't important.

Chikipichi said:

Everyone's different, lol. I haven't read/compared much but for what I have, I do tend to notice some of the differences. More so the stuff pertaining to the story line/development of characters.

For example, I read To Love Ru before watching the anime just out of curisoity and found it pretty faithful. Only notable thing I recall was that they completely skipped over a specific short arc that introduced a certain character for some reason...

So in the anime progression, you basically just see a new character all of sudden one episode pop up in the family and mingling about. No backstory... because they skipped that arc. (I still don't get why... but maybe because the character is somewhat minor? Focus on the harem, I guess.)

Apr 16, 4:19 AM

I'm wondering the same thing myself OP, not to mention that original sources are in most cases also garbage.

Apr 16, 4:24 AM

EGOIST said:
FMmatron said:
lmao just looking at the persona 5 adaptation forum discussions makes me question this

Haven't paid any attention to episode twos discussion thread,but MOST people in one were civil. Maybe a bit nitpicky,(not that I can tell since I didn't play the game)but not really ranting. also, my standards for what I consider a rant have drastically changed,Darling in the FranXX episode 14 set the bar pretty high
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Apr 16, 4:39 AM

they are not strict, they just dont tolerate mediocrity

Apr 16, 4:53 AM

Many ppl don't understand that changes need to be made in order for the adaptation to work.

I mean why would you go and watch an anime adaptation that is just the same as the source material?
That is just stupid!
If the anime adaptation of P5 is just the same story then I just rather play the game that I have already played!

If you make noticable changes (like Mob psycho did) then you only make good reasons for watching/reading both the anime AND the source material.

Creators should be allowed to be more creative.

I don't see Marvel fans bitching about every change the MCU made (and the only ones they actually complained about where bad writing choices like The Mandarin).

Apr 16, 4:53 AM

I think you mean "Why people are so strict with adaptations?"

This is not an anime-only issue.
This also happen with movies and series.

Apr 16, 5:01 AM

EGOIST said:
FMmatron said:

Lmao it gets pretty different when an adaptation leaves out 'necessary' material which makes the anime understandable/actually not shit lmao lol

Other times people are just nitpicking like bitches lmao lol
Don't you lecture me you piece of shit
Morgana was a mistake

Apr 16, 5:04 AM

Don't know maybe they have higher expectations and when those expectations gets crushed they are left with huge disappointment.

Apr 16, 5:12 AM
assyrian said:
they are not strict, they just dont tolerate mediocrity

Well the people most vocal about it are shonen watchers, so they definitely do tolerate mediocrity, otherwise they wouldn't like shonen.

Apr 16, 5:14 AM
these people are morons

i don't think they know what words mean

Apr 16, 5:14 AM

maybe because it's how they eperienced the story for the first time and how they fell in love with it so any small change disrupts how they remembered the story. Also people like to be salty and be unreasonably outraged about stuff.

Apr 16, 5:18 AM

Fanboys will always be meticulous. It's not only anime - western books/comics adaptations are criticized as well.

Apr 16, 5:21 AM

The anime should not be faithful to the manga, those people are only fixed when something relevant to the manga is not adapted, but they do not realize when they decide to make changes that make the adaptation workable.

I do not understand why they only want to see the manga in anime.
sǝuılǝpınƃ ɯnɹoɟ & ǝʇıs ǝɥʇ uı pǝuıɟǝp sɐ ,sǝlnɹ ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs ǝɥʇ ʍolloɟ ǝsɐǝld˙pǝʌoɯǝɹ ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs

Apr 16, 5:22 AM

I think it's people being concerned on how others end up viewing the franchise as a whole based on the anime adaptation. If it's a bad anime because it's a bad adaptation, then the franchise as a whole will be looked at negatively, and they don't want that when the source material is good. Like people thinking "the anime sucks so the manga must suck too". Stuff like that. People just prefer the events to play out in the anime exactly like it does in the source material so the adaptation retains the high quality to that of the source, and want everyone to experience that same of level of quality, instead of skipping or changing potentially important stuff which would lower the overall quality.

They also might have some favourite moments in the source material and would be angry if it was skipped in the anime because they wanted to see it animated.
Modified by wildhood, Apr 16, 5:49 AM

Apr 16, 5:26 AM
There are fans of the source material who want to see it in a visual medium and when something doesn't happen that they hoped would be cover they would feel disappointment or are mad of how the adaptation was done. (Or that is how I think that is how it goes.)

Apr 16, 5:33 AM

Have you seen Tokyo Ghoul? the anime removes content and changes things that were developed better in the manga so I can see why some people get pissed off.

Apr 16, 5:42 AM

I dont think people have problem if not important stuff getting cut but many adaptions are removing character traits and developments which are necessary and cutting them doesnt make sense at all

Apr 16, 5:48 AM
Imagine reading a shounen manga and loving a fight to the death, its so good that you’re shaking when reading it, then the anime gets anounced and your hyped as shit to see your favourite fight scene ever get animeted. Then they drop the ball and makes it feel bland and unimportant because they clipped out some sidestories and character/motivation building. Soulcrushing.

Apr 16, 6:13 AM

It depends. I'm quite open to judging the anime as a standalone.

It'd be a waste if the show is merely OK and could be better, but I'll be mostly fine with it. However if the show is bad and specifically because they stray from the source material, then I'd be a little more upset.

EGOIST said:

Yeah, anyone who expects a 70 hour game properly adapted with adequate pace is kidding themselves.

I do take issue with the shoddy animation by A1 though. And that's not holding it to a standard set by the game graphics, it's just bad compared to anime in general.
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

If you like my opinions, consider my YouTube channel | My MAL Interview

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.

Apr 16, 6:15 AM

ItsXolo said:
I don't really understand it either. If I wanted to experience the source material, I'd read the source material, not watch the anime. I couldn't give less of a shit if something doesn't follow the manga.

The thing is 90% of time people call certain part of the show trash because the studio skip/ change the source material for the worse. (Or even worse, add in garbage fillers)

The source material got undeserved hate because of the incompetence of the studio who adapts it. This is when the fan of the original source pisses up.

EX. UQ Holder the anime is absolute trash.
Erased has a much smarter/ better plot than the anime. (Alot of people trashing on the ending and antagonist , which is totally undeserved)

Apr 16, 6:18 AM

there are times where they cut off material to adapt a 12 episodes anime, which will end in a terrible adaptation. As for me, I rather it be faithful to the source not in a way that it is exactly the same, it may have some changes for the better, which works for me, the problem is when they shit on a special moment.
Don't forget to say Good Bye with a Smile!

Apr 16, 6:23 AM

Idk, the only thing I've ever really been a major sourcefag about is the first SAO arc, which is because I think it's pretty shite in the adaptation and yet pretty good in the source material and the reasons I think it sucks in the adaptation are entirely a result of changes made to adapt it. I do kind of see why they made such changes and why they would need to make some big changes in transitioning the arc from LN to anime, too. Could've just adapted the first arc as is in the first volume and then released the second volume content as OVAs or some kind of side stories rather than restructuring the whole thing in chronological order and somewhat haphazardly pulling from a variety of areas of the source material to patch holes together opened by that huge format restructuring.

So I can't help but feel it to be justified in some cases, albeit the mere idea that an adaptation must strictly abide by the source material is pretty much an idea that can be safely handwaved.

Apr 16, 6:56 AM

Manaban said:
Idk, the only thing I've ever really been a major sourcefag about is the first SAO arc, which is because I think it's pretty shite in the adaptation and yet pretty good in the source material and the reasons I think it sucks in the adaptation are entirely a result of changes made to adapt it. I do kind of see why they made such changes and why they would need to make some big changes in transitioning the arc from LN to anime, too. Could've just adapted the first arc as is in the first volume and then released the second volume content as OVAs or some kind of side stories rather than restructuring the whole thing in chronological order and somewhat haphazardly pulling from a variety of areas of the source material to patch holes together opened by that huge format restructuring.

So I can't help but feel it to be justified in some cases, albeit the mere idea that an adaptation must strictly abide by the source material is pretty much an idea that can be safely handwaved.

Well here is what I would've done with SAO.

Instead oc filling the holes with parts of the second novel, I would have woven an plotline into the entire aincrad arc.
And that plotline would be about the threat of that player killing guild.
By doing so, It makes That guild a bigger threat that also would in term make gungale better by giving more meaning and threat to its antagonist.

Apr 16, 7:02 AM

because they care about the mangakas exact thoughts and wishes and want to see ti executed to perfection without some sleazy studio butchering a masterpiece they want to show off that they read the thing and in theory should know the story before anybody else who just watched the anime but get mad when they are just as in the dark as the anime-only consumers
Catalano said:
Because they are familiar with the manga and want to show off. I call them manga purists. I will try to refrain myself on Hinamatsuri anime forums :))

manga purist is a good term to describe this