Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Forest of Piano
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2018 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's great to see Piano no Mori focuses a lot on background storytelling imo to get viewers invested into the main characters. Once again, we see more of Kai's past and his connection with piano playing.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I find the protrayal of Kai quite realistic as he behaves in a way that a kid would do. However, it's shown that he's also pretty curious about his surroundings.

The piano playing itself is well done imo. It has momentum and is able to really play out in a way that is smoothing to the ears.
Apr 15, 2018 10:20 PM

Mar 2016
The lesson that Ajino-sensei gave to kai worked, and just in time for a competition, I see a rivalry on the horizon, can't wait to see how the story goes.

PS. That CGI... Ugh
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 15, 2018 10:34 PM

May 2015
The OP song was great. Visually, it fits the series, however, I would have liked it more if it wasn’t all static images. It looked more like an ED than OP because of it.

Once again they are going thru the source material at a lighting speed. They basically cut out the whole dialog between Kai and Ajino in the very beginning, making that scene rather dull. I was also disappointed that they cut out Ajino’s inner thoughts after Kai’s runs away (ch 12, pages 32-37). I really liked that part in the manga.

For matter fact, a lot of the characters' inner thoughts have been left out (example: Kai’s inner thought when he heard Shuuhei’s played the piano (ch 13, pages 21-22)). Again, most of Kai and Shuuhei segments were removed or cut extremely short; segments that I thought were important in showing the two boys’ growing bond (rivalry-friendship). Like Kai and Shuuhei fight-disagreement (important in Shuuhei’s development).

Arisa didn't show up at all. Her segment with Kai was skipped. Her character will most likely be removed from the whole story.

Anyhow, this episode adapted 16 chapters this time, ending up on ch 28, page 10...

I enjoyed the first episode a lot more than this. The music score still on point.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Apr 17, 2018 12:43 AM

Jul 2017
Except that CG showcased in the wide shots of Kai playing (which was fucking awful), I liked this episode and the general storytelling is done well.

Excited to see how the competition plays out.
Apr 17, 2018 12:48 AM

May 2017
His mom was so young when she had Kai lol

I'm guessing Ajino will be the lucky dude
Apr 17, 2018 1:17 AM

Aug 2014
meh less great than ep1
Apr 17, 2018 1:42 AM

May 2009
It was meh but welp

Kai's mom is 10/10
Apr 17, 2018 2:07 AM

Nov 2016
Like the ED more, the OP was just instrumental and I actually would have preferred some lyrics.

Episode was solid again, looking forward to the comp.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 17, 2018 2:31 AM

Feb 2017
Okay, the animation looks awkward
Apr 17, 2018 2:58 AM

Jul 2017
Oh God, not another series, tainted by CGI...

Just like the awful bears in Golden Kamuy, Gainax tried the hand-playing and environmental CGI treatment, and it feels super off.

Otherwise, another solid episode that's not gonna cover the bulk of what the movie did a decade back.
KANLen09Apr 17, 2018 3:02 AM
Apr 17, 2018 3:03 AM

Nov 2016
I don't know about the opening, the music is nice but the visuals are just static images. Feels more like an ED.
Kai is truly a talented kid, and with the help of Ajino he can become even better. The music played was good but the CGI when playing was bad. The animation is average but if the music continues like this then I have no complain.
A rivalry is about to start!
Apr 17, 2018 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
The pleasant thing about watching this show is that listening the piano but otherwise I thought this was another fine episode and enjoyed more than the first episode. But it could been much much better.. especially that presence of CGI is greatly distracting. Surprised to see the OP using still shots but it works imo.

removed-userApr 17, 2018 5:25 AM
Apr 17, 2018 6:03 AM

Oct 2008
Another spectacular episode! nothing more to say!
Kai's skill in imitating prodigy pieces is only a child's-play for him!
5/5!

Apr 17, 2018 6:14 AM

Dec 2014
Good episode but you can really see how rushed this is. They've hardly spent any time showing how Kai and Shuuhei's growing relationship. Even a montage or something would've been nice.

Kai playing under the moonlight was well done.

We're already at the competition. Looking forward to it.
Apr 17, 2018 6:45 AM
Feb 2017
Uggghhh! Why did they have to make Kai's mom a prostitute?
Usually when they do this in anime, the mom would be dead, but in this one she is alive and I cringe every time I see her or hear of her. "She gets drunk when she has a bad day". We all know what a "bad day" for her means. The cringe is too much man. And the fact that Kai and everyone knows makes it even more cringy.
Apr 17, 2018 8:00 AM

Oct 2015
the cgi was soo bad
Apr 17, 2018 8:22 AM

May 2015
Not bad, but CGI is so distracting, it's totally unnecessary in this kind of anime.
Apr 17, 2018 8:36 AM

Jun 2015
ten said:
Not bad, but CGI is so distracting, it's totally unnecessary in this kind of anime.

I second that. Maybe I'm overthinking, but I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve with the CGI parts...

On a softer note, am glad Amamiya gracefully accepted the competition and made it a friendly rivalry. Was a bit scared that things might turn sour upon him finding out, but glad it worked out well.

HelpMeFindAnime said:
Uggghhh! Why did they have to make Kai's mom a prostitute?
Usually when they do this in anime, the mom would be dead, but in this one she is alive and I cringe every time I see her or hear of her. "She gets drunk when she has a bad day". We all know what a "bad day" for her means. The cringe is too much man. And the fact that Kai and everyone knows makes it even more cringy.

It's the author's way of showing the harsh background that Kai had... it's unpleasant yes, but it's a way of expressing it I guess.

Apr 17, 2018 10:58 AM
Aug 2011
Some parts are well done like when he moved and played the piano and under the skylight.

And I do like that they are cutting some things but it became apparent here that anyone's characterization besides Kai's is going to be extremely shallow. Kai is the main character so it makes sense but in the long run this isn't good. I also think they make Ajino come off like a creep... sadtimes man.

HelpMeFindAnime said:
And the fact that Kai and everyone knows makes it even more cringy.

You are right about there being some cringy aspects to the fact that Kai's mother is a prostitute and Kai is often at the whorehouse. But he's supposed to be raked over the coals for it, yeah everyone knows and they bully him constantly. Even adults think lowly of him, it's not just 'lol Rei-chan gets drunk sometimes'.
standApr 17, 2018 11:10 AM
Apr 17, 2018 12:43 PM

May 2009
Not sure if I like the whole "Kai magically can play piano at awesome level.. just like that".
But it guess it doesn't help that I took piano lessons for almost 10 years and know how hard it is to actually play. lol.
might drop .. not sure.. Will stick to the 3 episode rule this time.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 17, 2018 3:54 PM

Jun 2008
The are rushing things so much. I started reading the manga because I heard that a lot of stuff was cut and I'm up to chapter 30 and the anime is already up to chapter 28. At the rate they are going, it's going to be difficult for me to stay ahead of where the anime is.
Apr 17, 2018 3:55 PM

Jun 2012
Lol, this guy is some piano genius. I've been playing piano all my life and that Chopin piece is really hard. Most of Chopin is professional level, too...

Kai being like "I can't join the contest, that's for professional piano players!"
Dude, do you realise you just played a Chopin piece near-perfectly? From memory?
Apr 17, 2018 4:10 PM

Sep 2017
Man that was brutal pacing. Such a shame. So much stuff left out, including several minor characters. But when they barely even flesh out the main characters what can you really expect.

Edit: At least the music pieces are nice.
Apr 17, 2018 5:06 PM
Mar 2018
BEETHOVEN WAS PLAYED *screaming*
Apr 17, 2018 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
Gradient shading is something that needed to die back in 2005. The lighting just looks so awful on top of the bland colors and bleh shapes. And that spaghetti-level CGI animation is literally worse than Berserk 2016 (cant believe thats even possible).
Apr 18, 2018 10:07 AM

Dec 2014
well this is very in depth story telling and slow paced
Apr 18, 2018 1:13 PM

Feb 2016
The pace is all over the place and lacks substance, the movie did a better job at portraying events with an adequate pacing.

The animation is just terrible, the CG is completely unnecessary (why would they make a CG animation for something that is way too far?) and the 2d art is dull and ugly. I don't know if the movie was faithful or not, but it was definitely better than this.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 18, 2018 1:14 PM

Feb 2016
ibraheem234 said:
well this is very in depth story telling and slow paced

Wait, Slow paced? are we watching the same thing? this is going way too fast and its all over the place
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 19, 2018 3:29 AM

Mar 2017
wew Kai is so amazing, to be able to play Chopin's piece like that LOL
To be honest, I really enjoyed the series so far. But I see a lot of people saying that the movie is better?? So does that mean that I should watch the movie first?? I haven't watched it yet.

PS: really loved the op and ed song

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Apr 19, 2018 5:50 AM

Nov 2011
Reiko remains the most interesting part of this anime lol. I think the animation is making me enjoy it less and less.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 20, 2018 6:40 AM

Sep 2015
Did Rei-chan had Kai when she was just a kid? Damn man! Poor Rei-chan. :(
Apr 20, 2018 8:48 AM

Oct 2015
I actually haven't delved in the source material and the movie itself so I couldn't really tell if it was rushed or not but I have to say, these past two episodes were magical. It always left me in awe despite the CGI at times. I guess I'm the only one having fun with this adaptation, I'll try out the manga when this finishes airing; I wouldn't want to spoil or ruin this feeling that this show is giving me right now.

simo796 said:
wikipedia says 24 episodes not 12
never trust wikipedia
Apr 20, 2018 9:33 PM
Sep 2016
Well, judging by the comments on this so far, might just skip out on this anime for now
There's only so much I can watch in a season
1.1.Six
Apr 21, 2018 3:07 AM

Oct 2015
JudoJD said:
Well, judging by the comments on this so far, might just skip out on this anime for now
You wouldn't really notice any inconsistencies on the storyline if you haven't seen the movie or read its source material. It's best not to judge from the replies on this thread considering all I see are comparisons which is totally irrelevant for newcomers (atleast that's what I think)

@simo796 It's confirmed already
https://twitter.com/LiveChart_me/status/980676991035752448
EGOISTApr 21, 2018 3:11 AM
Apr 21, 2018 1:46 PM
Sep 2014
zero-r said:
The OP song was great. Visually, it fits the series, however, I would have liked it more if it wasn’t all static images. It looked more like an ED than OP because of it.

Once again they are going thru the source material at a lighting speed. They basically cut out the whole dialog between Kai and Ajino in the very beginning, making that scene rather dull. I was also disappointed that they cut out Ajino’s inner thoughts after Kai’s runs away (ch 12, pages 32-37). I really liked that part in the manga.

For matter fact, a lot of the characters' inner thoughts have been left out (example: Kai’s inner thought when he heard Shuuhei’s played the piano (ch 13, pages 21-22)). Again, most of Kai and Shuuhei segments were removed or cut extremely short; segments that I thought were important in showing the two boys’ growing bond (rivalry-friendship). Like Kai and Shuuhei fight-disagreement (important in Shuuhei’s development).

Arisa didn't show up at all. Her segment with Kai was skipped. Her character will most likely be removed from the whole story.

Anyhow, this episode adapted 16 chapters this time, ending up on ch 28, page 10...

I enjoyed the first episode a lot more than this. The music score still on point.

did you watch the movie on this series? a lot of people in the episode 1 discussion were mentioning how the movie was a better adaptation of the manga which i find strange considering it was only 101 minutes.. (a bit more than 4 episodes).

EGOIST said:
JudoJD said:
You wouldn't really notice any inconsistencies on the storyline if you haven't seen the movie or read its source material. It's best not to judge from the replies on this thread considering all I see are comparisons which is totally irrelevant for newcomers (atleast that's what I think)

edit: i think you can answer this question as well @egoist
Rayleigh99Apr 21, 2018 1:51 PM
Apr 21, 2018 8:14 PM
Jan 2017
The animation looks simple and childlish, but considering the atmosphere and characters, I think this time it works. Aside from the beautiful music, this episode offers some good character development for Kai, who doesn't care for competitions and just wants to play the piano. Ultimately, Ajino helps Kai get out of his comfort zone and expand his way of thinking. This is shaping up to be a good show and I'm getting invested in the characters and the story.
Apr 22, 2018 11:13 AM

Jul 2012
Again, another beautiful episode. Love that Chopin piece, what a classic.

The CGI was a bit cringe but whatever, I'm not picky.

JudoJD said:
This is one of my top anime of the season. I'm watching 18 airing shows.
Apr 22, 2018 3:57 PM

Feb 2008
Most series like this have the problem of not having enough music in them. I think this series has the opposite problem though.

That aside, I'm really liking this. I just have no idea how they'll manage to include all the things they're hinting at with only 12 episodes. It's easily multiple seasons worth of material.
Apr 22, 2018 10:13 PM

Oct 2015
@jacobpaige, the studio handling this is pretty new so you wouldn't really expect them to bite off more than they can chew. Maybe if this does become successful, we might get a follow-up season or something. Hopefully we do
Apr 23, 2018 4:28 AM
Sep 2016
Mayuka said:
Again, another beautiful episode. Love that Chopin piece, what a classic.

The CGI was a bit cringe but whatever, I'm not picky.

JudoJD said:
This is one of my top anime of the season. I'm watching 18 airing shows.

So...uh...
Congratulations?
JudoJDApr 23, 2018 4:43 AM
1.1.Six
May 12, 2018 11:06 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice second episode!!!
If the quality of the draw was better, it would be perfect!!!
Kai again shows his great memory and learn to play just with the hearing one more melody!!!
Kai will go to the next competition!!!
Dec 21, 2018 10:49 AM

Aug 2013
Nice episode.

I'm liking the ED even more.

Mar 27, 2019 6:02 PM

Dec 2013
Oh I actually thought Amamiya would be negative about KAI joining the competition. I like Kai's mom tho

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 30, 2021 9:21 PM

May 2019
Im in the verge of droping it lol

Since the OP foreshadows a time skip, i hope it happens soon, because i cant bear any more time the "PIANO NO ASTA" of Kai.

Man, what ANNOYING brat! STFP Asta no Piano!
Apr 30, 2021 9:21 PM

May 2019
Im in the verge of droping it lol

Since the OP foreshadows a time skip, i hope it happens soon, because i cant bear any more time the "PIANO NO ASTA" of Kai.

Man, what ANNOYING brat! STFP Asta no Piano!

More topics from this board

» Movie or TV????

Half-MagePrince - Apr 17, 2018

9 by burstfadehc »»
Feb 15, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Piano no Mori (TV) Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

4 by Raid41 »»
Oct 10, 2023 3:39 AM

Poll: » Piano no Mori (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2018

119 by dragnpiano »»
Jul 27, 2023 4:17 PM

» On Episode 8: This is probably a question for manga readers... What happened 25 years ago?

removed-user - May 28, 2023

2 by removed-user »»
May 30, 2023 12:34 PM

Poll: » Piano no Mori (TV) Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2018

32 by Andye »»
Sep 13, 2022 8:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.