Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Boku No Hero Academia worth watching?
Apr 14, 2018 2:10 PM

Jul 2013
Greetings, as the title says I would like to know your opinion about Boku No Hero Academia. Do you consider it another mainstream shonen or is it a hidden jewel? Are the characters forgettable, or have they managed to pick your interest? I must admit I've been putting this anime on hold since I'm a bit skeptical about the artstyle, I know what they say, don't judge a book by its cover. So yeah, tell me what you think about it as a whole 👍Yay or 👎Nay
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 14, 2018 2:12 PM

Jan 2015
Mr_Pervert said:
Greetings, as the title says I would like to know your opinion about Boku No Hero Academia. Do you consider it another mainstream shonen or is it a hidden jewel? Are the characters forgettable, or have they managed to pick your interest? I must admit I've been putting this anime on hold since I'm a bit skeptical about the artstyle, I know what they say, don't judge a book by its cover. So yeah, tell me what you think about it as a whole 👍Yay or 👎Nay

Considering the popularity, it's definitely not a hidden jewel. It's indeed a mainstream shounen but it's still bloody amazing.

Whether you enjoy it, it's up to you. I was obsessed with heroes when I was little so I can very much relate to Deku. That makes me love the show.

Apr 14, 2018 2:12 PM

Jul 2017
It has it's moments. The characters for the most part are pretty memorable too. The animation quality is also pretty legit.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Apr 14, 2018 2:15 PM

May 2015
mainstream shonen
characters mainly forgettable

Yay if you looking for action/battle shounen/sakuga
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2018 2:20 PM

Oct 2015
Characters backstories are really predictable, as well as their personalities in general. I think the super hero concept is boring, as can be expected from someone who never got into that kind of stuff.

The show overall is entertaining but, for the most part, I could care less about what's going on. I think the show is geared towards a younger audience.
<< deliveries go here >>
<< set by dandeliya >>

Apr 14, 2018 2:21 PM

Jun 2017
A decent modern battle shounen , better than Fairy Tail and Black Clover , not as good as the battle shounen monsters. (HxH , One Piece , DB , Yu yu Hakusho , Naruto , Bleach)

Right now , one of the best manga in Shounen Jump , my personal top is:

One Piece > Gintama > Haikyū!!! > BNHA > Dr Stone.

Haven't read Yakusoku no Neverland though...

Apr 14, 2018 2:23 PM

Jan 2013
Well of course it's a mainstream battle shounen. For me this show is just pure fun, I like the characters and can't wait to find out more about them and see their developement, the mix of comedy and some serious moments is just perfect for a show like this, action scenes with great soundtrack and animation hype me up, it isn't full of fillers like those never-ending longrunners. This anime just makes me happy, lol. Even though I don't like many other popular shounens. But you can't expect from it anything groundbreaking or unpredictable, it follows a pretty standard formula and is far from being innovative.
fuyukiApr 14, 2018 3:18 PM
Apr 14, 2018 2:25 PM

Mar 2016
Definitely a good show. Strong main cast, great animation and the pacing of the show has really improved in S2. I don’t think its as amazing as some people in the community make it out to be, but it certainly is a solid anime.

It doesn’t come close to One Piece, HxH, Gintama, JoJo and Naruto tho.
Katsuo_Apr 14, 2018 2:46 PM

Apr 14, 2018 2:27 PM

Jul 2015
i think it's a decent show

it needs more interesting villains and better fights
Apr 14, 2018 2:28 PM

Nov 2011
If you hate battle shounen, it isn't likely to change your mind.

If that's not you, then it's worth trying. It's a genuine back-to-the-basics execution of the genre, and it has done a good job so far.
Apr 14, 2018 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
It is a mainstream shounen, far from a hidden gem anime. I like some of the characters like Todoroki, Momo and Himiko. But others like Bakugou and Mineta are plain annoying and I want them to die. I think it's alright, not as good as Hunter x Hunter.
Apr 14, 2018 2:32 PM

Feb 2016
I think Boku no Pico Academia is better.
Apr 14, 2018 2:33 PM

Sep 2017
plank from ed edd n eddy has more of a personality than midoriya izuku
your best bet is to watch this or this or something else that's good.
dlwuikApr 14, 2018 2:42 PM
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 14, 2018 2:44 PM

Oct 2013
wow i really gonna get a serious trashing for this lol

Sorry, but i expect something from BNHA because i love battle shounen, but up until the second season airing, all i get is superman, blue crimson, doraemon, stand user, human torch, hollow man, and many more but the point is at least make the mc have new power or something original. the pros is that the characters design is quite nice.

The pacing is big no for me, they got some invasion arc and then bam! tournament arc then bam! intern arc then Bam! moon banquet festiva- wait, BNHA is not about cooking, but i digress. My point is they never get any rest, all they do is fight, fight, and fight, but that's maybe because they want to keep the wiewer hyped for the show.

the last problem is that everyone hate mineta but like bakugo, but my opinion doesn't mean shit to the fandom so let me end my rant, thank you.

Apr 14, 2018 2:49 PM

Jan 2015
one of the worst battle shounens if not the worst
Apr 14, 2018 2:50 PM
Aug 2016
Mainstream shounen, it's not worth my time ,but for others might be exactly what they want to see, I think therefore is a decent show , I don't see it striving to be something revolutionary
Apr 14, 2018 2:57 PM

Apr 2014
definitely mainstream. pretty good if you like superheroes and action. even non animenese know about it
Apr 14, 2018 3:01 PM

Dec 2016
The Naruto of the 2010s; a very typical mainstream battle shonen, but this time executed pretty well (at least so far...)
Apr 14, 2018 3:04 PM
Aug 2016
It's simply alright. I wish they gave the supporting characters a little bit more screentime.
Apr 14, 2018 3:16 PM

Aug 2015
Froppy is adorable - that's the only reason to watch the show
Apr 14, 2018 6:14 PM

Oct 2015
Mainstream shounen that is as average it can get. It's going by the status quo of battle shounen, while not doing a bad job, it's still nothing new and compelling to peak further interest. Embracing it's mediocrity is a form of conformity.

Are characters forgettable? Somewhat, but if we are talking about the villains, boring and bland. I haven't seen a villain in a battle shounen so uninteresting ever before for this last 2 seasons, Fairy Tail had better villains.

Is it worth watching? Yeah, while it is very average, saying there isn't any merit to be seen in the show.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Apr 14, 2018 6:18 PM
Aug 2016
I still haven't seen it, but I've heard good and bad things about it.

However, I do own the Japanese version of Vol.1 of My Hero Academia
Apr 14, 2018 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
I really didnt like it i got to episode 3 and stopped it was really boring and i didnt find the characters interesting
Apr 14, 2018 6:32 PM

Jan 2010
Eh, just look for yourself. Watch the first couple episodes and see.
As FOR ME, I was hooked since the first episode.
I fell in love with the art style. I find it unique and it have distinct identity.
The characters are also likeable except Mineta and unique. Their interactions are genuine, and they felt real.
Bakugou Katsuki is best character.
It uses common shounen tropes but somehow managed to execute them much better than most.
It uses superheroes theme in differrent way, makes it a fun yet still add serious touch about it.
I like the settings and how things work there. I also like the power balance and levels.
The fights are also to the point and often uses strategy instead of just power fight because both main characters are described to be intelligent (Bakugou and Deku).
I unexpectedly cried in the second episode.
But I think the strongest point of BnHA is the characters and storytelling.
My favorite character is Bakugou Katsuki, Todoroki and Momo.
CrimsonMidnightApr 14, 2018 6:35 PM
Apr 14, 2018 7:28 PM
Jul 2018
it's pretty good. i especially love the dub. all of the voices are spot on, and done very well. i'm a huge fan of luci christian to begin with, so ofc uraraka is my favorite. also all might, present mic, and bakugo are all friggin hilarious to listen to. some of the villains are also very well done and spot on, like the hero killer, and the weird main villain with the creepy chapped lipped smile and hands everywhere.
seriously wouldn't be near as good for me without the dub. sure i'd still watch it, but it wouldn't be as big of a hit for me. not even close. as it is, little witch academia is still better even with boku no hero having the better dub cast. without the dub, it wouldn't even come close. not even a contest.
Apr 14, 2018 7:30 PM

Oct 2017
This poll is lacking.

Should have more options , with more clarity too.

Yay and Nay doesn't mean a damn thing.
Apr 14, 2018 7:31 PM
Sep 2017
I like it but it can get annoying when bokugo acts crazy and screams at everyone that offends him
Apr 14, 2018 8:27 PM

Jul 2017
As of right now I don't really like it or no hate it, it's just eh whatever.
Apr 14, 2018 9:16 PM

Apr 2018
I like boku no hero academia. its like naruto, but good
Apr 14, 2018 9:18 PM

Jun 2014
I've never watched it, so I can't really give an opinion on it.

Apr 14, 2018 9:28 PM

Mar 2015
it's mainstream shounen with good visuals...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 14, 2018 9:33 PM

Oct 2017
Well, it's really good and interesting.

I don't understand the logic behind its hate, not like I give a crap either...
Apr 14, 2018 9:36 PM

Apr 2017
It's alright I guess, I'm not too impressed so far
Apr 14, 2018 10:02 PM

Oct 2017
It's a battle Shonen that's picking up its pace quickly. Season 1 started as a generic, non-memorable show. Season 2 exploded with lots of hype moments and much appreciated focus on many characters. Season 3 will be the turning point in making the villains more interesting, arguably the season that will surpass the second season. It's a show that filled the void from the older battle Shonens like Naruto and One Piece (although it's still going) with a refreshing modern take on the tropes and settings that you can find in this kind of genre. Excitement, laughter, or sadness, these are all the kinds of things you might experience with this show.

The art style was a bit of a turn-off for me at the beginning but I quickly got used to it and now loved the uniqueness, similar to how I saw One Piece. Great consistent art style and animation to induce experiences (especially hype) along with amazing OSTs to support it. It's my favorite battle Shonen so far (haven't seen HxH) which should really say my thoughts on it. Judging by the fact that you liked Fairy Tail and Attack On Titan, I would say give BnHA a go too coming from a fan of battle Shonens myself. It's not a revolutionary anime by all means but it's well executed and a great enjoyment.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 14, 2018 11:03 PM
Jan 2013
Merely hyped solely of you Americans and your Superhero obsession.

Apr 14, 2018 11:07 PM

Feb 2010
As a long-time and very enthusiastic battle shounen fan, I'm confident to say it's among the top tier of the genre. Great designs, fantastic characters, balanced focus on different characters and their development, interesting battles/abilities/strategies, an unusually big focus on teamwork and dynamics between characters, and it even has some of the best/cutest battle shounen grills I've seen. I don't think it's super ambitious thematically or in terms of worldbuilding, unlike maybe something like FMA or HxH, but the things it does focus on, it does almost to perfecting within the context of its sub-genre.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 15, 2018 1:10 AM

Jun 2016
I find it average. Like, very average. Hasn't dipped like other shounens such as Naruto and Bleach, but has yet to reach climaxes comparable to the likes of Naruto and Bleach either. Granted I haven't read the manga, just talking bout the anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2018 1:12 AM

Jan 2009
its good i hope it becomes as popular as Naruto was

and might as well share this, here is a great english cover of the new OP sequence

Apr 15, 2018 1:13 AM

Nov 2015
It is most definitely a mainstream shounen. I might not be the biggest fan of the series but it is definitely worth the watch, if only for the fun factor.
Apr 15, 2018 1:33 AM
Apr 2018
It’s another garbage shounen series

Like one punch man and attack on titan
Apr 15, 2018 1:48 AM

Jul 2017
the animation is top notch and all but it got boring for me. I heard the hype about it and decided to watch season 1 right before season 2 aired but I found my self forcing to watch it instead of enjoying it. I did the same thing with season 2.
The fights are boring and very predicable and I don't think I'll find myself watching season 3.
Apr 15, 2018 1:49 AM

Jun 2008
It's OK...

But it's a copy-paste shounen.

Everything they do has been done in the exact same way by other shounen.
Apr 15, 2018 1:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think it's pretty uninteresting in general but that's mostly because I don't like battle shounens much in the first place. I'm sure it's good if you're actually a fan of the genre though
Apr 15, 2018 2:03 AM

May 2017
Fairly average best it had going for it was the sports festival
Apr 15, 2018 2:07 AM
Dec 2013
It's no HxH, but it's still a really enjoyable battle shounen. The only problem really is that the arcs are too short, so I'm hoping for longer arcs that are at least 40 episodes long in the future, like with Naruto's Chuunin Exam arc (which is 48 episodes long) and Bleach's Soul Society arc (which is 43 episodes long).
Apr 15, 2018 2:08 AM

Nov 2014
That one series that everyone nowadays is asking whether I'm watching when talking about anime, but I still haven't.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 15, 2018 2:10 AM

Jul 2017
It's tournament arc honestly is the only thing incredible about it.

The first season had bare character development and felt like nothing much was happening.

Whilst I rated the 2nd season highly, I felt that disregarding the episodes with Stain fights and the tournament, the remaining episodes were not that great either.

It has some great fights but underwhelming story.
Apr 15, 2018 2:10 AM

Feb 2016
I've been enjoying it quite a bit, with some on-off again binge sessions. I never properly got into battle shounens when I was younger, so this one feels more like a fresh face to me personally. A few things here and there are a tad predictable, or escape the realm of logic because of the demographic, but it has its charms and moments. Some arcs are better than others, sure, that's an inevitability. At this point, I'm grateful that some of the supporting cast have had their time in the limelight, but I'm hoping that more will get that chance, what with the length and all.
Doing nothing of importance.

Anime | Manga
Apr 15, 2018 2:12 AM
Jan 2018
The power mechanics are very bad causing every fight to be ravaged by plot holes (e.g. deku breaks icebergs with air pressure from the flick of his fingers and shouto survives after taking a direct punch from him.what the hell?)
Character development is very bad.bakugou is plain annoying.Deku is a generic archetype who wins fights by using plot armor(e.g. deku vs brainwashing guy and in the fight against stain).Todoroki is worst character of the series.He hates his father cause he abused him.Fine.His mother put boiling hot water on him causing h to lose one eye and his face was disfigured for rest of his life and he still likes her.what? As if this was not enough, he went and APOLOGISED TO HER MOTHER.And guess what, SHE FORGAVE HIM.WTF? ending of school days is more realistic than this shit.As for villains,they are as generic as possible (except stain) so it fails there as well.
Story is extremely generic and is not anything special.
Also, when all might threw nomu into atmosphere it was NOT A POWER CEILING.A power ceiling is the ultimate power level possible for our characters.Deku In his prime will be as strong as all might in his prime and all might was nowhere near his prime when he did that.So this was not a power ceiling.
So, it is overall a bad anime and I would not recommend it.
VladivostockApr 15, 2018 2:20 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

436 by His0kaDevv »»
Apr 11, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

403 by Esu_Kei »»
Apr 10, 1:42 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

332 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 21, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

276 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 18, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

294 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 16, 8:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.