Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 16, 2018 1:00 AM

Apr 2011
If the first episode is a introduction of GGO's Squad Jam, this episode tells how Karen started. Really tells how she started with a short but cute avatar sa LLENN.
Apr 16, 2018 2:46 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Interesting!! The protagonist is a tall girl and just one game got a cute avatar, in a shooting game, when usually the best is some different!!! kekeke
Apr 16, 2018 4:03 AM
Nov 2012
dunkan85 said:
Squad Jam... so the MMO they were playing was first a 'regular' MMO, but then the developers saw that Battle Royal was the newest stupid trend and decided to hack out their own cynical version, despite it being completely detached from what GGO was, huh? Wow, that's uncannily similar to reality right there *cough*Fortnite*cough* :|.

Uhm, the Bullet of Bullets competition in the original Phantom Bullet Arc in which GGO was introduced was in fact a Battle Royale setting, Squad Jam is just a similar version but with teams instead. Besides, GGO is an MMO about guns, so a Battle Royale game mode actually makes sense to be included there. It's not like MMO's need to stick to just one game mode, and in fact having a wide variety of game modes to entice different players is a good strategy for such games.

For another fact, Phantom Bullet was written in 2010, and even SAO Alternative: GGO was written in 2014, hence both predated the popularity of games like PUBG and Fortnite by several years.
Apr 16, 2018 4:15 AM
Jul 2017
SayuriUliana said:
dunkan85 said:
Squad Jam... so the MMO they were playing was first a 'regular' MMO, but then the developers saw that Battle Royal was the newest stupid trend and decided to hack out their own cynical version, despite it being completely detached from what GGO was, huh? Wow, that's uncannily similar to reality right there *cough*Fortnite*cough* :|.

Uhm, the Bullet of Bullets competition in the original Phantom Bullet Arc in which GGO was introduced was in fact a Battle Royale setting, Squad Jam is just a similar version but with teams instead. Besides, GGO is an MMO about guns, so a Battle Royale game mode actually makes sense to be included there. It's not like MMO's need to stick to just one game mode, and in fact having a wide variety of game modes to entice different players is a good strategy for such games.

For another fact, Phantom Bullet was written in 2010, and even SAO Alternative: GGO was written in 2014, hence both predated the popularity of games like PUBG and Fortnite by several years.

well, actually according to the story, squad jam is actually a player organised event and is inspired after watching kirito and sinon worked tgt in the bob. These are just some back story so it's not that important actually.
Apr 16, 2018 5:13 AM

May 2012
Titadou said:
This MC is still... hollow and so superficial...
It's the main theme of this spin-off I guess "superficial"

Dude we already got that you hate anything SAO related. There is no reason for you to keep saying this shit if you just don't like the anime. You are not going to convince people to like it less and you CERTAINLY won't like it more either.

Why do you even try to watch this when you gave the first SAO a score of only 2? At this point you are just torturing yourself when instead you could be watching something you'd enjoy.

dunkan85 said:

Are you THAT dumb and stupid or just pretending? This new battle royale fag started very recently while Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online started being published in 2014 so how the fuck can they be related? The original GGO LN chapter in SAO is even older than that and the anime was also adapted in 2014.

MAL users these days...
I despise woke people.
Apr 16, 2018 6:13 AM

Oct 2013
Kaetokiha said:
Titadou said:
This MC is still... hollow and so superficial...
It's the main theme of this spin-off I guess "superficial"

Dude we already got that you hate anything SAO related. There is no reason for you to keep saying this shit if you just don't like the anime. You are not going to convince people to like it less and you CERTAINLY won't like it more either.

Why do you even try to watch this when you gave the first SAO a score of only 2? At this point you are just torturing yourself when instead you could be watching something you'd enjoy.

So what ? I liked SAO II and Accel World.

If you saw my 2/10 for SAO I assume you saw my anime list layout no ? It's a full layout ACCEL WORLD which is made by the same author of SAO, I made it myself. I'm just not a lover sucker who eat all the shit people served them.

Even if I liked Accel World and SAO II better than SAO first season they don't deserve more than 5/10 because of the bad and convenient plot, flat characters etc. even if it was entertaining
The pink desert for the pink character is a perfect example of convenient and stupid setup we get here.
Apr 16, 2018 6:18 AM

Dec 2015
Sword Art Online without Kirito? Yes please
Apr 16, 2018 6:26 AM
Aug 2017
Titadou said:
Kaetokiha said:

If you saw my 2/10 for SAO I assume you saw my anime list layout no ? It's a full layout ACCEL WORLD which is made by the same author of SAO, I made it myself. I'm just not a lover sucker who eat all the shit people served them.

Even if I liked Accel World and SAO II better than SAO first season they don't deserve more than 5/10 because of the bad and convenient plot, flat characters etc. even if it was entertaining
The pink desert for the pink character is a perfect example of convenient and stupid setup we get here.
well it's a convenient setup, but pink deserts actually exist in real life so it's not that stupid
Apr 16, 2018 6:29 AM

May 2012
Titadou said:
Kaetokiha said:

Accel World is very different than SAO. They have some things in common but they are still very different.

Yeah you gave SAO II 5 which means you just didn't hate it as much as the others.

If you are watching just so you can find flaws then it's pointless...you are just watching so you come and complain here. It's pointless, it's retarded and it's annoying too for others considering how much more people do the same as you.

I despise woke people.
Apr 16, 2018 6:35 AM

Jul 2008
Not sure if it is mentioned directly, but what is the main girl's height?
Apr 16, 2018 7:08 AM
Jul 2016
GarLogan78 said:
Not sure if it is mentioned directly, but what is the main girl's height?

183 centimeters.
Apr 16, 2018 8:53 AM
Jan 2018
HAHAHAHAHAH Os batimentos cardíacos dela aumentando a cada jogo testado, no mangá tava extermamente engraçado. no anime ficou tri bom também! uhasuhasuhasuuas
Apr 16, 2018 11:30 AM
Feb 2017
LLEN best girl. Both in game and irl. She doesn't look tall, everyone around her just looks short.

Apr 16, 2018 11:51 AM

Feb 2011
I hope she got a refund for all those games she tried. Who knows if some of those characters were also rare for there respective games. Then it'd a waste to return them. Would be hilarious if Pito turned out to be the girl she [met] for info on VRs.
ReloadApr 16, 2018 9:28 PM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Apr 16, 2018 12:56 PM
Apr 2016
Reload said:
I hope she got a refund for all those games she tried. Who knows if some of those characters were also rare for there respective games. Then it'd a waste to return them. Would be hilarious if Pito turned out to be the girl she meet for info on VRs.

It is natural it is considered, but the girl would have known, that LLENN is her friend, so that's out of question.
Re:formed
Apr 16, 2018 3:20 PM

May 2017
I never understood why MMO gamers bother others about 'real life' things. The whole point of MMO is to escape.
Apr 16, 2018 3:21 PM

May 2017
Reload said:
I hope she got a refund for all those games she tried. Who knows if some of those characters were also rare for there respective games. Then it'd a waste to return them. Would be hilarious if Pito turned out to be the girl she meet for info on VRs.

I suspect one buys "The Seed" game pass to all the games.
Apr 16, 2018 8:01 PM

Oct 2008
Good episode!
So Kohiruimaki, Karen a.k.a. LLENN is an absurdly tall woman IRL and she has a complex about it! haha...and this is why she wants a short Chibi avatar on game so that she could sway away her height complex!
LLENN was called Pink Devil! and she immediately bought P90 = P-chan lolz!
that was fast...antagonist Pitohui was indroduced immediately!
so new VA Kusunoki Tomori can sing as well huh nice ED!
5/5.

Apr 16, 2018 9:42 PM

Feb 2011
@Daniel_Naumov: Good point since she was the one that pointed out she could keep her ID. I didn't really see the point of transferring to different games with the same ID and calling it a character convert. I guess it saves you the trouble of having to input an ID multiple times; however, it sounds the same as PSN. It's simply a matter of not changing your username when you play different games. Maybe it's just a roundabout way of explaining it to a beginner.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Apr 17, 2018 3:29 AM
Oct 2015
I personally enjoyed this episode just because my expectations were fairly low coming into this episode due to the first episode, I was wondering why LLENN was a loli in game but an actual adult in real life.
Heckle was here...
Apr 17, 2018 4:49 AM

Oct 2016
Pretty cool episode, but damn, I feel sorry for Shino if she ever had to go through that version of the tutorial.
Apr 17, 2018 5:34 PM
Feb 2016
Guys, let me be straight about my impressions. Sword Art Online Alternative GGO is absolutely crap and I'll tell you why:
1- There are no reasons at all for this anime to exist. There is literally no plot here. It's just "A tall girl wanna play a game but her avatar bothers her". So, she chosen the only game where her avatar wasn't tall like her in RL. That's it. It's worse than pick a game by complete random! If you do not play a game because of your avatar then you shoudn't play at all and it gets worse when the game you want to be cute and Loli like is a FPS with mmorpg mechanics or vice-versa.

2- Why, please explain to me why she wears pink? Why she need to be cute on everything she does?! Wouldn't be better to play Barbie game or some shit like that? I don't know guys, i'm a gamer IRL and I'm Supreme on CS: Global Offensive and this character just bothers me too much with that pink avatar running with a P90 like some rabbit and shit. No, that's not a desert camo, please, don't bring up this argument.

3- Nothing improved from the other seasons, but just got worse. Just to not be unfair here, they seem to explore the GGO mechanics a little more and it stops right here. Characters are worse and forgettable in minutes. Their lifes are safe so the tension of the other seasons is completely gone. They named the P90 for chryst sake, what else do you expect from someone who thinks it's important to name your weapon, since it already have one?! Every single choice they made for this season seems to bother me and I can't believe it became such a turnout for me.

4- The songs, where are they? SAO is also noticed for having a pretty good OST. But not in this case, I guess. The battles are not as dangerous as before nor emotional as well, everything lose the purpose of being and I really feel sorry for those who tought this could be a good season, such as myself.

I could list every single detail that make those 2 episodes the worst of all SAO existence, expecially this seccond one, but it doesn't worth my time at all. I just needed to say to you guys what made me hate this begining of the season. I know, it's a Spin off bla bla bla, but it carries the SAO name on it. It must be better than before always! It was so bad that I don't have even the hope that it will get better. Just need to confirm in Episode 3 the crap this show bacame before drop it.

Rated it 1, not zero because of the NPC in the Tutorial.
Apr 17, 2018 6:57 PM

May 2017
Ugh, the forced idea that the game randomly choose how your character looks is so bad. If that wasn't a thing in the original SAO, the creators could have shaved 5 minutes off of this episode with actual content rather than have Karen go through 30 games trying to randomly get a design she liked. It's so accurate, and that's why video game creators don't implement something so stupid. And DESIGNING YOUR CHARACTER is the best thing about an RPG!

That was probably the only problem I had, honestly. I like the introduction of Karen's character and Pito was really neat too. I'm just curious if Pito is played by a man? I'm sure that's a twist that will be thrown in later when they meet in person..
And like @chuckdam said above, where is the plot?? So far we've had an action packed game play episode, and now basically a slice of life. I'm wondering where it's going to go??
demisionApr 17, 2018 7:01 PM
Apr 18, 2018 11:07 AM
Oct 2014
xXxKubaPLxXx said:
Swagernator said:
She's not tall, they just made everyone around her to look small lol xD

183 cm for a Japanese woman is extremely tall. Girls over 160 cm look huge compared to the other so she would look like a giant in the real life

It's extremely tall everywhere. Even in Netherlands adult females are "only" around 170cm.
Apr 18, 2018 12:27 PM
Jan 2018
Liked this episode, feel like it could be leading up to something bigger
Apr 18, 2018 10:12 PM
Aug 2017
well to all the complaints about random avatars, i'd like to say...

blame this guy
Apr 18, 2018 11:00 PM

Dec 2016
Much more enjoyable than the first episode. Its at least got my interest now. Not sure if i trust that Pito girl. Also I am REALLY liking the visuals for the ed. The song is pretty good too
Apr 19, 2018 1:31 AM
May 2017
wtf is wrong with being tall? It's not like being short has no disadvantages.
Apr 19, 2018 2:49 PM

Nov 2015
To me, this anime is really enjoyable and refreshing also IMO
Apr 20, 2018 1:38 PM

Mar 2016
Ugh just no no no no. You don't give me a an episode that's pretty cool, devoid of all SAO references to then give me not only a SAO reference but a literal login to ALfheim Online.
So much for a spin-off! Bye!
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Apr 20, 2018 4:02 PM

Apr 2016
Definitely enjoying this series so far. Karen's reasoning to wanting to join the VR scene is relatable. A lot of people wish they could be different. I wasn't bothered at all about not being able to customize the way your avatar looks like. Seems like a small thing to be mad about. I do enjoy that she made a friend in Pito who showed her the ropes, and I love how she seems more confident in this episode than last episode. PKing and also saying she will beat Pito are good signs of not being a complete wuss. I dig it.

3/5
[
Apr 20, 2018 11:59 PM
Jan 2013
Lol , people complaining about random avatars , she could very well change the avatar in any game but she has a complex about her height , the "first impression counts a lot " but I guess there are a lot people so dumb they can not think in that
Apr 21, 2018 8:11 AM
Jan 2016
demision said:
Ugh, the forced idea that the game randomly choose how your character looks is so bad. If that wasn't a thing in the original SAO[...]

Only the original Sword Art Online had character creation, but in SAOII Kirito was unable to customize his character in Alfheim Online and Gun Gale Online; so Keiichi Shigusawa's hands were tied due to precedent set by the series creator, Reki Kawahara.
Apr 21, 2018 12:07 PM

May 2017
MysteriousBanana said:
demision said:
Ugh, the forced idea that the game randomly choose how your character looks is so bad. If that wasn't a thing in the original SAO[...]

Only the original Sword Art Online had character creation, but in SAOII Kirito was unable to customize his character in Alfheim Online and Gun Gale Online; so Keiichi Shigusawa's hands were tied due to precedent set by the series creator, Reki Kawahara.

I know. In SAOII it's stupid and randomly thrown in too :T what significance is there for randomizing their character designs?? Besides being able to make Kirito a female for one season...
Apr 22, 2018 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
This anime is better than I thought, it will not be a masterpiece, but it's nice to look at. The narrative this time has been shown much more "dynamic" and less "static" of the previous episode, even if it was the explanation that was behind the birth of the character of Llenn, I imagined who knows what witty reasoning there was at the base of his creation, instead it's all so silly, to be so close to reality, wow! I hope that the true identity of Pito is not what I imagine, it would be a little too obvious. I'm waiting for the next episode, to make more laughter with Llenn.
Apr 22, 2018 11:49 PM
Jan 2016
demision said:
I know. In SAOII it's stupid and randomly thrown in too :T what significance is there for randomizing their character designs?? Besides being able to make Kirito a female for one season...

That's pretty much the real reason, though if we look at how AAA developers are monetizing cosmetics these days, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some time in the future they'll monetize in-game plastic surgery shops and "encourage" its use by stripping out character creation.

I mean, hell, 10 years ago I would have never imagined a feature as basic as item drops would be ripped out and repackaged as microtransactions, even after Bethesda tried to sell horse armor.
Apr 23, 2018 12:11 AM

Oct 2008
Sometimes, I wonder if the people on anime forums are all sociopaths with an inability to empathize with other people. Like holy crap.
Apr 23, 2018 6:54 AM

Mar 2013
I still can't get my head around her weapon being called "P-Chan"
Something something something
Apr 23, 2018 11:18 PM

Apr 2012
Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that this is the first time a VZ-58 has ever been in an anime? One made a brief appearance in the Upotte manga but never in an anime before this point (might also be the first time we've seen a first model)

mdude009Apr 24, 2018 7:56 PM
Apr 29, 2018 12:50 AM
Mar 2018
Don't mess with LLENN. I wish this was reality. GGO rocks.
May 1, 2018 3:39 AM
Mar 2012
Awesome way to explain mc irl was self conscious of height & chose a pink loli to pk in the desert.
Pito felt like a villain but turns out a cool senpai & future rival.
May 6, 2018 5:33 AM

Aug 2016
This is no excuse for wearing pink all the time, especially into battle royal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2018 1:07 PM
Feb 2009
well isn't this the dumbest thing ever
May 21, 2018 12:42 PM

Jul 2009
Pito is here! I wonder why she is not with LLENN anymore...
Aug 8, 2018 7:37 PM

May 2012
Pretty steady character development if you ask me, steady pacing and all in all pretty solid episode! Let's see what's next.
Sep 23, 2018 1:24 AM
Jun 2017
So far it seems light-hearted unlike those video games will take over the world-type anime. Need more of these.
Oct 10, 2018 7:56 AM

Jun 2013
Another decent episode, but so far this isnt really doing much for me
Nov 22, 2018 2:28 PM
Nov 2018
P-chan has a backstory, and that's a great friendship right there.
Nov 23, 2018 1:16 PM

Mar 2016
Is there no VRMMO games there that allow for full player customization?! I figured that's one of the biggest things VRMMO games should have! Or is it only this way since LLENN converted an avatar to other games instead of creating a new one.

So LLENN finally got a short, cute, loli avatar. It must be nice for her to get that because her body size basically gave her an advantage over other bigger sized avatars. Less hit-box areas meant that she can dodge more attacks, it's kinda cheating, isn't it? An unfair advantage
ShadowkillZNov 23, 2018 1:56 PM
Jan 24, 2019 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
Dat forehead.
YOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! DIGIMON STORY CYBER SLEUTH IS ON THE SHELVES! AND FOR VITA! IN 2025! Also, FFX.
Holy shit shes tall.
Dat oppai of LLENN in ALO.
lol at her heart rate increasing because of her height.
Did she become Frieza?
Dat mermaid oppai.
37 times?
She can beat me any day.
Dat ass.
Yoko!!!!!!
January 2026.
Squad Jam.

I am highly disappointed in you all. I read (well, more like skimmed and Ctrl F'd) through all 5 pages and not one of you mentioned seeing Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth on VITA (also Final Fantasy X and Digimon Next 0rder) during the game store scene. Vita still going strong in 2025. lol
RobFeb 12, 2019 2:12 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

64 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Yesterday, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 11 Discussion

18 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 10 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 9 Discussion

23 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 8 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 16, 1:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.