Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 13, 2018 11:28 AM

Jul 2017
Why is the visual quality so poor?!
Apr 13, 2018 11:41 AM

May 2008
In every way this show is awesome! Everything os good!

The OST, I want it on my cell phone...

And the name.... damn... I was speechless
[aling=center]
Apr 13, 2018 11:44 AM

Sep 2016
I never watched Ashita no Joe but god damn, this anime makes me wanna drop everything and just watch it. The backgrounds are on point, the quality is fantastic and the story pretty enjoyable, I think we have ourselves the king of this season.

I hope that they deliver in the next episodes, really looking forward to them
Apr 13, 2018 12:18 PM
Mar 2016
Junk Dog losing to Yuri and now he's tired of playing for fix and decide to go for real...Poor nanbu, he has to sell his soul to that gangster.
Apr 13, 2018 1:17 PM
Oct 2017
IT's getting intense.
And the sound track is best of the season Imo
Apr 13, 2018 2:00 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Joe, finally appears the name of the fighter!!!
Well, the boxing fight was short and a little disappointed, i expected more tension, action and blood!!!
Apr 13, 2018 2:06 PM

Jul 2016
"So ... What's your name?"

*your name.'s main theme loudly plays in the background*

Really great episode, that's a really strong contestant for Anime of the Season right here.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 13, 2018 2:29 PM

Jun 2017
I really loved this episode I didn't expect it to be so good... Though the first episode wasn't that good
Apr 13, 2018 3:45 PM

Apr 2016
They jumped the shark by throwing in too many cliches with very bad pacing. Here I thought the story would be a match between a classic boxer with high technical expertise and a technologically superior boxer who excelled with these new fangled armnants. Instead it was shit. He got beat down hard and then went back on his motorcycle. Very boring very bad
Apr 13, 2018 4:13 PM

Dec 2016
I just love how this show has thick lines and hard edges rather than being really clean and glossy like a lot of shows nowadays. I like those shows too, don't get me wrong, but pretty much this artstyle works perfectly in a day and age where it is one that is rarely used
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 13, 2018 4:20 PM

Sep 2017
The OST for this anime is just delightful.

Apr 13, 2018 4:59 PM
Jan 2016
Mywifesson said:
They jumped the shark by throwing in too many cliches with very bad pacing. Here I thought the story would be a match between a classic boxer with high technical expertise and a technologically superior boxer who excelled with these new fangled armnants. Instead it was shit. He got beat down hard and then went back on his motorcycle. Very boring very bad

What did you expected it to be like there was no way Joe was going to beat Yuri who is basically the end boss to the series
Apr 13, 2018 5:39 PM

Aug 2014
BillyShears said:
This really makes me wanna watch Ashita no Joe but fucking Bakuman ruined the ending for me. Anyhow, cool episode. Predictable, but it's so damn stylish I can't help but like it. Soundtrack is good too.

Even knowing how the series ends, watching the whole story is a memorable experience.
Apr 13, 2018 6:06 PM

Apr 2014
kofmaster said:
Even knowing how the series ends, watching the whole story is a memorable experience.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna check it out.
Apr 13, 2018 8:08 PM
Oct 2017
I’m getting serious 90s anime vibes from this, the choice of art style is great and the soundtrack is amazing, I feel like I’ll end up giving this a 9 or 10 when it’s finished if it continues like this, can’t wait until next week.
Apr 13, 2018 9:46 PM

Mar 2009
Abusaeed said:
Soon the "It is Overated!" threads will rise :/

Surprised it hasn't appeared yet, honestly.

This show is fucking good.
Apr 13, 2018 10:23 PM
Sep 2015
Too much tailored for non-Japanese audience, I mean, just being boxing anime already guarantee that it can't be bad (due to adrenaline rush prevent people from calmly evaluate the art)
Apr 13, 2018 11:34 PM

May 2016
The scene when Yuri left the ring reminds when Rikishi left the juvenile man the nostalgia is real.
And the music is so damn especially that ost.
Apr 14, 2018 12:42 AM

Dec 2013
Great episode. Yuri destroying him was to be expected but at least he was forced to use both hands.

Apr 14, 2018 1:18 AM

Oct 2011
The OSt is amazing omg
Apr 14, 2018 2:09 AM
Jun 2017
Yuuri sure is strong and as a proof why he is a champ is that fight against JD (or joe). It became a one sided fight...

Anyways now lets see what Joe can do to win the Megalonia bout... hahaha
Apr 14, 2018 3:23 AM

Apr 2014
god i missed shows like this
Apr 14, 2018 3:58 AM

Jun 2014
does anyone know the artist and name of the song in the middle during the bike ride?
Apr 14, 2018 4:01 AM

Oct 2017
Idk what is is about this anime, but I freaking love it so far. The setting matched with the soundtrack adds in a rugged, yet beautiful atmosphere and I see this anime getting really good.
"Question: The world will not change, but you can change yourself. So then, how will you change?
Answer: You become the god of a new world."

--Hachiman Hikigaya (Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru)
Apr 14, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2016
This anime is sooo simple in terms of plot and characters, yet it's still perfectly done. The OST and the art go together very well. Yuri is a freak of nature, and Junk Dawg Joe is gonna be the one to put him down eventually. I love how after his defeat he still didn't back down. That irrational confidence. <3

Like I said last week this one is gonna be a good one. Can't wait for next week's episode.
[
Apr 14, 2018 4:27 AM
Nov 2016
Hmmm, AOTS vibes indeed.
I love the art style, sure it seems like the quality's a bit low but still, I love it.

I don't have anything else to complain about I guess. The music is awesome and I really like Junk Dog's character, he has the perfect combination of pride and self-hatred, he calls himself a stray dog but he doesn't like throwing matches.

I hope it continues like this
Apr 14, 2018 6:04 AM

Oct 2012
Damn I thought this was gonna be like an ashita no Joe ova or something, I didn't expect it to be aoty. But if it keeps going like this it'll be hard to top.
Apr 14, 2018 10:02 AM

Nov 2012
For out of the box OST last season we had Devilman: Crybaby. For this season we have Megalo Box. Damn does this series have some dope tracks!
Apr 14, 2018 12:04 PM

May 2017
This is hype as fuck.
I'm really excited about his training and real matches at Megalonia.
The Joe part at the end was amazing even though I dropped AnJ because of spoilers.
Apr 14, 2018 1:02 PM

Nov 2013
really good so far
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 14, 2018 1:29 PM

Apr 2016
Yourmom53 said:
Mywifesson said:

What did you expected it to be like there was no way Joe was going to beat Yuri who is basically the end boss to the series

Expected Haikyuu season 3. Joe is an established boxer with better technique and str a clash of technology and primbol. That's what I wanted.
Apr 14, 2018 3:57 PM

Nov 2016
Mywifesson said:
Yourmom53 said:

Expected Haikyuu season 3. Joe is an established boxer with better technique and str a clash of technology and primbol. That's what I wanted.

I'm pretty sure we all wanted Joe to win, probably expected it as well, but personally, I don't remember a good story that went the way I wanted.

Besides, how is Joe an established boxer? We know nothing about either Joe's or Yuri's history yet, only that they are boxers respected in their circles.
Apr 14, 2018 4:34 PM

Jun 2013
the OP is so symbolic
Apr 14, 2018 4:47 PM

Feb 2013
Mr. Pro had to use his right hand to block. Underestimated Junk Dog.
Apr 14, 2018 9:07 PM

Jan 2018
Joe. Warukunai na..

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Apr 14, 2018 9:22 PM

Apr 2016
Thanakos said:
Mywifesson said:

I'm pretty sure we all wanted Joe to win, probably expected it as well, but personally, I don't remember a good story that went the way I wanted.

Besides, how is Joe an established boxer? We know nothing about either Joe's or Yuri's history yet, only that they are boxers respected in their circles.

what the fuck are you talking about, even if you have never seen the series Tomorrow's Joe, in the first episode you learn that he is one of the best boxers and that he lost to the champ in regular boxing. I didn't want him to win, I wanted an anime that wasnt a retarded cliche. But thats what happened with this one.
Apr 14, 2018 9:40 PM
Mar 2018
Amazing as always, loved it
Apr 14, 2018 10:19 PM

Dec 2016
LeftHook said:
Junk Dog is already super likeable and Yuri is a brilliant foe. I loved Rikishi so i'm glad i'm having the mutual feeling towards Yuri in this series.

Goosebumps during this close up.

Also, for anyone not well versed in the sport of Boxing. The way Yuri fought in the beginning, using only his left and flicking his arm from his waist is the same exact way an actual fighter called Tommy Hearns (who was one of the most notable champions in the 80's) fought. Junk Dog even made mention to the angles of his jab disrupting him. That's called the flicker jab and it was even referenced in Hajime no Ippo.

As both a Boxing fan and an Ashita no Joe fan this show is already exceeding the expectations i held beforehand.

And the soundtrack is PHENOMENAL.

Props for mentioning Tommy Hearns, dude was a beast and tall for his weight division kinda like Jarret Hurd in the current 154 division, Sugar Ray and Haggler gave Hearns that work. It's nice seeing a fellow boxing fan. What weight do you think Joe falls under Junior Middleweight or Middleweight?
Apr 14, 2018 10:23 PM

Dec 2016
Klad said:
LeftHook said:
Junk Dog is already super likeable and Yuri is a brilliant foe. I loved Rikishi so i'm glad i'm having the mutual feeling towards Yuri in this series.

Yuri got a nice ass house outside the town doesnt he.

He's the A side and the champ, I wouldn't be surprised if he has endorsement deals.
Apr 15, 2018 12:21 AM

Nov 2016
Mywifesson said:
in the first episode you learn that he is one of the best boxers and that he lost to the champ in regular boxing.

I just watched the first episode again. At around 9:16, the commentator even says, ''And making his first appearance at the Drunk Monk, it's Junk Dog''. JD's opponent, however, is called the 'main eventer'. In any case, yes it is heavily implied that he is one of the best, but even a 2 years old can see that he is one of the best in that ring of stray dogs, not 'real Megalo Boxing'. The world is a large place, you know. Or maybe I'm giving you too much benefit of doubt. Maybe you're just baiting. I'll find out now.
Apr 15, 2018 2:35 AM

Jan 2012
This anime is pretty fucking good so far.

I smiled so much at the end. Really need to watch Ashita no Joe now.
Apr 15, 2018 5:03 AM

Feb 2015
This season is so awesome..with Tokyo ghoul, bnha, sg0, golden kamuy. I wasn't even gonna give a chance to this anime, but I have to say this anime is freaking awsm with so cool ost and characters. This is one of the more underappreciated anime of the season or more like the underdog of the season. This anime has got me hooked.
Apr 15, 2018 6:20 AM

Mar 2018
Brahmastra_ said:
LeftHook said:

Also, for anyone not well versed in the sport of Boxing. The way Yuri fought in the beginning, using only his left and flicking his arm from his waist is the same exact way an actual fighter called Tommy Hearns (who was one of the most notable champions in the 80's) fought. Junk Dog even made mention to the angles of his jab disrupting him. That's called the flicker jab and it was even referenced in Hajime no Ippo.

As both a Boxing fan and an Ashita no Joe fan this show is already exceeding the expectations i held beforehand.

And the soundtrack is PHENOMENAL.

Props for mentioning Tommy Hearns, dude was a beast and tall for his weight division kinda like Jarret Hurd in the current 154 division, Sugar Ray and Haggler gave Hearns that work. It's nice seeing a fellow boxing fan. What weight do you think Joe falls under Junior Middleweight or Middleweight?

Hearns/Hagler/Duran/Leonard, the four kings. The four men and the period of boxing i'm most enchanted by. And likewise man, hope to see you commenting more on these episode discussions in the future. I'm already looking forward to the next couple fights and what the Megalobox team do with them. I remember back when i first watched Hajime no Ippo it was those small little details such as giving Ippo Tyson/D'amato's famous peak-a-boo style, the Hearns reference and they even including Jack Dempsey's infamous "Dempsey Roll" as well as Floyd Patterson's leaping gazelle punch. They were well versed and the Megalobox team appear to be so aswell. The damn animation looks phenomenal aswell.

And yes, Hurd is a monster. Brilliant scrap with Lara last week. Even Lara's quite tall for 154 and Hurd TOWERS over him. It's almost bewildering how he makes the super-welter limit.

And not sure. But he's similar in stature to Yuri, just slimmer and Yuri looks like a middleweight. So i'd say he's probably, jnr middle. And if Yuri ends up looking more like a light heavy in future episodes when we see him in comparison to the other fighters later on then i'd say he'd prob be a middle.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 15, 2018 7:44 AM

Apr 2016
Thanakos said:
Mywifesson said:
in the first episode you learn that he is one of the best boxers and that he lost to the champ in regular boxing.

I just watched the first episode again. At around 9:16, the commentator even says, ''And making his first appearance at the Drunk Monk, it's Junk Dog''. JD's opponent, however, is called the 'main eventer'. In any case, yes it is heavily implied that he is one of the best, but even a 2 years old can see that he is one of the best in that ring of stray dogs, not 'real Megalo Boxing'. The world is a large place, you know. Or maybe I'm giving you too much benefit of doubt. Maybe you're just baiting. I'll find out now.

You aren't getting it big guy, it's the same sport, it's still boxing but there are minor tweaks namely technology, it's the difference between fighting with 8 oz gloves and open finger mma gloves. The boxing glove spreads the surface area of contact so you hit much harder, whereas the mma glove is just there to protect your hand so it doesn't break and its open to allow for holds and what not.
Joe's technique is the best, so he should have been able to put up more of a fight even with shit equipment.
Apr 15, 2018 2:18 PM

Nov 2016
Mywifesson said:

Joe's technique is the best.

That's an opinion and episode 2 has proven it wrong. Move on.
Apr 15, 2018 4:27 PM
Jan 2012
I agree, the OST really makes this series special!

Damn, I loved that ending when he chose Joe as his name! Excited!!
Apr 15, 2018 5:25 PM

Dec 2016
LeftHook said:
Brahmastra_ said:

Hearns/Hagler/Duran/Leonard, the four kings. The four men and the period of boxing i'm most enchanted by. And likewise man, hope to see you commenting more on these episode discussions in the future. I'm already looking forward to the next couple fights and what the Megalobox team do with them. I remember back when i first watched Hajime no Ippo it was those small little details such as giving Ippo Tyson/D'amato's famous peak-a-boo style, the Hearns reference and they even including Jack Dempsey's infamous "Dempsey Roll" as well as Floyd Patterson's leaping gazelle punch. They were well versed and the Megalobox team appear to be so aswell. The damn animation looks phenomenal aswell.

And yes, Hurd is a monster. Brilliant scrap with Lara last week. Even Lara's quite tall for 154 and Hurd TOWERS over him. It's almost bewildering how he makes the super-welter limit.

And not sure. But he's similar in stature to Yuri, just slimmer and Yuri looks like a middleweight. So i'd say he's probably, jnr middle. And if Yuri ends up looking more like a light heavy in future episodes when we see him in comparison to the other fighters later on then i'd say he'd prob be a middle.

Same here these last two episodes only makes me anticipate for the next I wish they had at least displayed a 15-second preview of the next episode rather than showing the title for the upcoming episode. I also appreciate when an anime adds details that are based in real life, I wonder if they will cover further boxing Corruption, Cherry-picking, Ducking, step aside money and enhancements whether it's drugs(Canelo, Povetikin) or Technological.

Indeed Hurd is a "Monster" everytime Lara threw direct bombs on his face Hurd still kept on coming forward like Frankenstein putting the pressure on Lara. Hurd looks like a Light Heavyweight he made James Degale look small around. I can imagine cutting down weight for Hurd must be hell, however apparently he's planning to move up to 160 if he defeats Jermell Charlo.

I wonder what's Joe's boxing style going to be like when he debut's professional?

Apr 16, 2018 1:53 AM

Jan 2016
The soundtrack is so good wtf. That "great track #01" though!!! If there'd be a "great track" playing at every episode, that would be great.
Apr 16, 2018 4:58 AM
Dec 2015
This is hands down one of the top best anime for Spring 2018, perhaps even for the rest of the year depending how the rest of the season rolls out. The music, the artwork, the animation, the drama and the emotions all emanate nicely from the crew of TMS Entertainment. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes with more hype than ever.
Apr 16, 2018 5:16 AM

Mar 2018
Brahmastra_ said:
LeftHook said:

Same here these last two episodes only makes me anticipate for the next I wish they had at least displayed a 15-second preview of the next episode rather than showing the title for the upcoming episode. I also appreciate when an anime adds details that are based in real life, I wonder if they will cover further boxing Corruption, Cherry-picking, Ducking, step aside money and enhancements whether it's drugs(Canelo, Povetikin) or Technological.

Indeed Hurd is a "Monster" everytime Lara threw direct bombs on his face Hurd still kept on coming forward like Frankenstein putting the pressure on Lara. Hurd looks like a Light Heavyweight he made James Degale look small around. I can imagine cutting down weight for Hurd must be hell, however apparently he's planning to move up to 160 if he defeats Jermell Charlo.

I wonder what's Joe's boxing style going to be like when he debut's professional?

I very very highly doubt that. I mean the season is only 12 episodes so it'd be wishful thinking.

And probably like the original Joe from Ashita no Joe. That's what i'm banking on anyway. Description can be found below.
He is a bantamweight and his specialties include the cross counter and the No Guard stance. He has extraordinary punching strength, fortitude, and fighting spirit, often standing up after taking killer blows and has been known to counter cross-counters (a double-cross), possessing a raw, natural talent for the sport. He has even countered double crosses with a triple-cross, implying he has high-level technical abilities. Following his fight with Rikiishi, he begins to better develop his guarding.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.