Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Steins;Gate 0 Episode 1 Discussion

Apr 11, 2018 11:47 AM

ALSo why is it a thing that every time someone (who is supposed to be a native speaker) in an anime speaks englisch they have a terrible accent couldn't they get someone with a less noticeable acctent for that role.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Apr 11, 2018 11:51 AM

Anerinus said:
Great episode. Have to say it, that broken English speaking professor from America....

He actually sounded worse in the VN during that scene. XD
You will be sure to love him soon, he is a top tier memer and the accent is part of his charm.

xShinigami3125 said:
ALSo why is it a thing that every time someone (who is supposed to be a native speaker) in an anime speaks englisch they have a terrible accent couldn't they get someone with a less noticeable acctent for that role.

He speaks Japanese too, don't worry. He is Finnish, so not really a native English speaker either.
Modified by Aquamirror, Apr 11, 2018 11:55 AM

Apr 11, 2018 11:51 AM
I realise now that I don't care for anyone else in this series besides Okabe.

It's kind of sad lol.

Apr 11, 2018 11:53 AM
ahneeme said:
I realise now that I don't care for anyone else in this series besides Okabe.

It's kind of sad lol.

Basically me ahaha

Apr 11, 2018 11:57 AM

Fantastic start.

The opening sequence upto when Okabe meets up with Mayuri was amazing.
The soundtrack hits so damn hard for me and seeing all the characters again is just wonderful. I'm so happy they decided to this adaptation.

We get to meet Yuki officially, like finally and I love her already.

That PTSD scene though. :(

Super interested in the AI stuff that was presented at the end.

Masterful presentation overall, really looking forward to this.

ok my hair was literally standing up while watching this...so much mostalgia... truly agood comeback

anyone else notice some differences from the PV and the actual anime?
PV

Actual

Also
PV

Actual
Persona 4 (Golden obviously) is better than Persona 5 imo

Apr 11, 2018 11:59 AM

now THAT is a first episode how it's supposed to be done, holy shit.

Apr 11, 2018 12:02 PM

Aquamirror said:
Anerinus said:
Great episode. Have to say it, that broken English speaking professor from America....

He actually sounded worse in the VN during that scene. XD
You will be sure to love him soon, he is a top tier memer and the accent is part of his charm.

Indeed. Leskinen is my 5th favourite character. I thought he might have spoken to Okabe before the presentation but there is still 22 eps to go to flesh him out.

Apr 11, 2018 12:02 PM

riorangel21 said:
White Fox and Bones, we can all agree now that these 2 studios really care about their series ( based on the 1st episodes ) While Pierrot ruining Tokyo Ghoul:re again lol.

Bones / White Fox = Quality over Quantity
Pierrot = Quantity over Quality ( Tokyo Ghoul, Boruto and Black Clover all in one season )

While A-1 finally redeeming themselves ( Darling in the FranXX, Nanatsu no Taizai )

Either way great episode! The new director did a great job ~

EL PSY CONGROO

I appreciate the gesture but there is so much problematic stuff with what you said.

First off, everyone cares about their project otherwise they wouldn't even remain in an industry riddled with problems to begin with. Don't try to make the lack of passion a reason when scheduling & industry-wide practices are to blame for.

Secondly you're trying to make a point about quality & quantity while comparing a relatively new studio trying to find a foot in the industry with recent expansions in their facilities with a giant that has several decades of history. The difference is Pierrot can afford to have multiple projects in the production stage whereas WhiteFox can't but wish they did. And even if we follow your logic Bones would not even match your criterium as they have a ton of simultaneous production going on thanks to their 4 department structure.

Either way it's pretty much pointless to talk merely in studios anyway when so much decision making is done outside of the studio's reach or discretion. With as many freelancing creative core staff as there is, it's not surprise really.

That out of the way, Kawamura indeed did a splendid job. He continued the delicate depiction of facial expression to display a wide range of emotions.
The result is an amazing episode.

Apr 11, 2018 12:04 PM

Ah I miss them... I need to rewatch season1 since I forgot everything.. can someone remind me a quick overview of what happened??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 11, 2018 12:07 PM
Kami-sama

I love how intense this is despite being only the first episode of the season.

Apr 11, 2018 12:08 PM
Fucking ace first episode. They've got a lot of introductions to get through and a lot of information to jam in, but I'm pleased that they managed to get that all done and still leave time for internet Happenings. 10/10

Clefairiess said:
Ah I miss them... I need to rewatch season1 since I forgot everything.. can someone remind me a quick overview of what happened??

some people died a lot, some people died a little bit, okabe didn't ride a bike everyday, shit got real, putin used the time machine to get trump elected lmao

Apr 11, 2018 12:08 PM

Okay so unpopular first, but really though, the animation is kinda terrible, i legit compared the highest 1080p i could find to the 720ps of the first season and its really mediocre compared to that. The direction also lacked luster, very disjointed and segmented scenes. As a massive fan of the first series, this was terribly disappointing. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but the cinematography (constant zooming in on the faces to save budget) really did a number for me. Really sad at how this is turning out. Not even close to the originals quality. Where did all the budget go? The inexperience of the director is really showing. :( Also they're really banking on the nostalgia factor (and its working for literally everyone but me sadly lol)
last thing, why is the extreme PTSD not believable? Like, he still has the choice to save her but he's literally going to go through hell just to arrive at the same conclusion? Ah, not working for me. The first novel was intelligent. This, this is made for milking. Sad.
"If you don't love anyone, it'll make your life easier. But, I don't want to believe it's useless to love anyone" - Hikari Sakishima

Apr 11, 2018 12:11 PM

Sam1198777 said:
Okay so unpopular first, but really though, the animation is kinda terrible, i legit compared the highest 1080p i could find to the 720ps of the first season and its really mediocre compared to that. The direction also lacked luster, very disjointed and segmented scenes. As a massive fan of the first series, this was terribly disappointing. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but the cinematography (constant zooming in on the faces to save budget) really did a number for me. Really sad at how this is turning out. Not even close to the originals quality. Where did all the budget go? The inexperience of the director is really showing. :(

I agree with you with the close ups, but he did a great job at evoking emotions and accurately portray what the characters are feeling, and that was my biggest worry, for now.

Hitagi's Pet

I didn't know much I missed Steins Gate until I saw this. Love seeing these guys...But daaammnn it feels dark.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

I liked it. It is very fast paced and missed some important things imo such as Maho missing Kurisu which was pointed out during her hesitations while translating etc and also they cut the entire overheard English dialogue about the fire at Kurisus moms place.

Some things were even better than in the source material though, such as the nightmare scene was better and visually really well done. A strong start I think but we'll see how they handle the rest of the story and the which information and branches they filter out.

Apr 11, 2018 12:12 PM

I am so happy to see characters back. Great first episode. It pains me to see Okabe like that, hope he finds happiness by the end of this. I had no idea that I missed Steins;Gate this much.

Apr 11, 2018 12:13 PM

I'm still a little confused as to where this takes place and i need to refresh my memory of Steins;Gate a little bit, but when i heard the piano version of the main theme, i was instantly thrown in 2011 spring/summer when my heart couldn't wait for the next episodes. I felt the whole atmosphere of that time and it brings me nostalgia. I gotta watch the original once more.
Hard to make an opinion from the first episode, tho. It did not catch me but it's the first episode after all. I'm sure with the progression, i'll like the episodes more. It was that way with the original.
My squad is back! I'll miss the old Okabe tho xD.
"If Eren boned Historia then we'll be getting flashbacks right back to Ymir, from both of them."
- imadethisforonething (Reddit)

Apr 11, 2018 12:13 PM

Mohammadalmannai said:
Sam1198777 said:
Okay so unpopular first, but really though, the animation is kinda terrible, i legit compared the highest 1080p i could find to the 720ps of the first season and its really mediocre compared to that. The direction also lacked luster, very disjointed and segmented scenes. As a massive fan of the first series, this was terribly disappointing. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but the cinematography (constant zooming in on the faces to save budget) really did a number for me. Really sad at how this is turning out. Not even close to the originals quality. Where did all the budget go? The inexperience of the director is really showing. :(

I agree with you with the close ups, but he did a great job at evoking emotions and accurately portray what the characters are feeling, and that was my biggest worry, for now.

Wish it'd work for me the same way..i just don't see the intelligence and maturity in the direction or the script (or the concept, to be fair)
"If you don't love anyone, it'll make your life easier. But, I don't want to believe it's useless to love anyone" - Hikari Sakishima

Apr 11, 2018 12:14 PM

bakuramariks said:
I'm still a little confused as to where this takes place and i need to refresh my memory of Steins;Gate a little bit, but when i heard the piano version of the main theme, i was instantly thrown in 2011 spring/summer when my heart couldn't wait for the next episodes. I felt the whole atmosphere of that time and it brings me nostalgia. I gotta watch the original once more.
Hard to make an opinion from the first episode, tho. It did not catch me but it's the first episode after all. I'm sure with the progression, i'll like the episodes more. It was that way with the original.

It takes place between episode 23B and 23A (original episode 23)

Apr 11, 2018 12:15 PM

daru you lucky bastard

Apr 11, 2018 12:16 PM

bakuramariks said:

I looked at your list and I know why you are confused, you did not watch divided by zero, which takes place between the original and 0 (worst explanation ever) but it will make sense once you watch it.

It's been so long, damn that nostalgia hit me. Okabe in suit looks good, but damn gotta used to it along with his now not a delusional and pompous way of talking. What a sad worldline. That wwiii sure looks depressing, Suzuha talking about her past, her mother mowed by machine guns while protecting her. Then Okabe counter argumenting what happened to him to at the alpha worldline, the sacrifces to reach beta worldline.

Haven't read the vn so this gonna be a wild ride with thrill and impact for me. Though with already that I knew some spoilers at early chapters, I guess not gonna be a problem with my enjoyment.

Damn, when the announcement of Amadeus kick in at the last minutes with the Amadeus OP made me hype af. Can't wait for ALL the episodes!!!
Modified by cronoSpirA, Apr 11, 2018 12:23 PM

5/5
this was amazing, i'm so excited for next week's episode

lol

Apr 11, 2018 12:20 PM

Yep, the one week break between each episode is gonna be brutal. Should've waited until the show ended before marathoning, but couldn't help myself.

The technical aspects isn't as good as the previous season (which is to be expected since that one was as close to perfect as can be), but still very good regardless.

Apr 11, 2018 12:22 PM

I am really happy with this episode. Hopefully it will live up to the original.

Also the Kurisu vision was genuinely terrifying.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 11, 2018 12:26 PM
Fappa said:
riorangel21 said:
White Fox and Bones, we can all agree now that these 2 studios really care about their series ( based on the 1st episodes ) While Pierrot ruining Tokyo Ghoul:re again lol.

Pierrot = Quantity over Quality ( Tokyo Ghoul, Boruto and Black Clover all in one season )

While A-1 finally redeeming themselves ( Darling in the FranXX, Nanatsu no Taizai )

EL PSY CONGROO

I appreciate the gesture but there is so much problematic stuff with what you said.

First off, everyone cares about their project otherwise they wouldn't even remain in an industry riddled with problems to begin with. Don't try to make the lack of passion a reason when scheduling & industry-wide practices are to blame for.

Secondly you're trying to make a point about quality & quantity while comparing a relatively new studio trying to find a foot in the industry with recent expansions in their facilities with a giant that has several decades of history. The difference is Pierrot can afford to have multiple projects in the production stage whereas WhiteFox can't but wish they did. And even if we follow your logic Bones would not even match your criterium as they have a ton of simultaneous production going on thanks to their 4 department structure.

Either way it's pretty much pointless to talk merely in studios anyway when so much decision making is done outside of the studio's reach or discretion. With as many freelancing creative core staff as there is, it's not surprise really.

That out of the way, Kawamura indeed did a splendid job. He continued the delicate depiction of facial expression to display a wide range of emotions.

I already know almost everything you mentioned, but based on their productions this decade, Pierrot is the most controversial one. Forgot to mention that my statement is based on their timeline it's not that the studio controls everything.

Apr 11, 2018 12:27 PM
So you are a total Normie now,huh?

Apr 11, 2018 12:29 PM

That first episode was much better than I expected actually. And I'm totally not just saying this because there was a ton of Suzuha in it...nope, not at all.
It was nice seeing all these characters again. Ruka and Suzuha look so good, and I'm pretty interested in how the show will deal with Okabe's PTSD (that's what it seems to be anyway)
Modified by Hongu, Apr 11, 2018 12:32 PM

Apr 11, 2018 12:30 PM

Damn, it's been awhile since I played the VN but I feel that it captured the atmosphere and tone of the series perfectly, as well it ended at the perfect point. Can't wait to see more Amadeus and the professor.

I know it's only episode 1 but I was extremely satisfied with what we got and my expectations got higher for the series.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?

Apr 11, 2018 12:30 PM

Well, it begins and, while the production values are most certainly not up to scratch with those of the original, they are still very good. Regardless, this was an interesting first episode that was as good as I expected it to be: the pacing is handled with similar care and delicacy to how it was in the original, so everything works well as a result (and it's a very good sign for what we can expect going forward).

I'm really hoping this can live up to the hype, and this was a good start towards doing so.

Apr 11, 2018 12:31 PM

I enjoyed the start, the atmosphere as well but i'm pretty lost with these universe lines, with the end of steins gate i'm pretty lost , where are they etc.. because here kurisu is dead but not moeka and suzuha is here too .. well i'll see next episodes
Hey :)

Apr 11, 2018 12:36 PM
Man, that was amazing. Especially loved the flashbacks and how Okabe acts like a different person. Already super hyped for next week!

Apr 11, 2018 12:37 PM

Sam1198777 said:

last thing, why is the extreme PTSD not believable? Like, he still has the choice to save her but he's literally going to go through hell just to arrive at the same conclusion? Ah, not working for me. The first novel was intelligent. This, this is made for milking. Sad.
Just so you know, this Okabe didn't received the video mail of future okabe compared to prequel S;G Okabe. So this Okabe didn't get motivated to ride the time machine once again and have no clue to save Kurisu and avoid the wwiii occuring. What he just know and believe at this world line from what I see on this episode and what he said, her saving of Kurisu will just become like how he did save Mayuri, its diverging at the same result, she will die. So its different one from okabe of the prequel Steins;Gate.

Apr 11, 2018 12:40 PM

Sephyros said:
I enjoyed the start, the atmosphere as well but i'm pretty lost with these universe lines, with the end of steins gate i'm pretty lost , where are they etc.. because here kurisu is dead but not moeka and suzuha is here too .. well i'll see next episodes

Watch episode 23 beta, it's what happened originally after Okabe gave up saving Kurisu and decided to live in this beta world line.. which eventually will lead to him coming up with the plan and sending the video mail we saw in the original end.

Sam1198777 said:
Mohammadalmannai said:

Wish it'd work for me the same way..i just don't see the intelligence and maturity in the direction or the script (or the concept, to be fair)

I agree the directing and animation quality could have been better, actually I found it kinda jarring at first but rewatched the episode once again and seemed good enough for me.
I say, you still don't see the bigger picture, it's not that easy as it seems and Okabe really did suffer a lot watching Mayuri die so much and then see his own beloved getting stabbed by himself, throwing him in the mental loop of having no hope because he sees himself as the sole reason everything repeats like that in such suffering for mending with God's laws. He doesn't have the courage and doesn't seem to see the grave consequences of his refusal which are still somewhere in the distant unknown future for him, he would rather not care or think about at the moment.
Modified by Aquamirror, Apr 11, 2018 12:44 PM

Apr 11, 2018 12:41 PM

Sam1198777 said:
Mohammadalmannai said:

Plus, with the extreme PTSD, if you looked at the 50+ Kurisu bodies and him repeatedly saying "I do not want to go back, she will die over and over again like Mayuri" and take the blame himself, plus have you watched Divided by Zero?

Apr 11, 2018 12:45 PM
EP 1 was 11/10 imo. This start definitely surpassed that of the VN. Expecting this to be anime of the year, so much hype. I can't wait to see what they do with this.

Apr 11, 2018 12:53 PM

Mohammadalmannai said:
bakuramariks said:

I looked at your list and I know why you are confused, you did not watch divided by zero, which takes place between the original and 0 (worst explanation ever) but it will make sense once you watch it.

Hey, I didn't watch divided by zero either, but I was just under the impression this is the timeline where Okabe failed to save Kurisu and prevent WWIII and had to be the one to figure out how to tell the okabe from the steins gate timeline how to save her without being thrown back in the beta timeline.

Set by Lunafleurette

Apr 11, 2018 12:54 PM

I can't believe it, it already here, I'm so hyped! It has been quite some time since I was this excited for an anime. I must say, after watching the first episode I'm so exhilarated, I can't believe how I'm feeling, I didn't expect this to be possible. I'll be waiting eagerly for next episodes and I hope they'll even better than this one!

Apr 11, 2018 12:54 PM

Well, at least now this franchise looks more White Foxy, I definitely like the new tone and the deeper image of Okabe. It is already felt that this will be one of the best shows of the season and this studio, if not the best.

Level of my english is still too poor, so ask not particularly angry because of my terrible grammar.

Apr 11, 2018 12:56 PM

That was a good first episode. The name drop of Amadeus into the ED(?) was really well done.

Apr 11, 2018 12:57 PM

bartek97 said:
I can't believe it, it already here, I'm so hyped! It has been quite some time since I was this excited for an anime. I must say, after watching the first episode I'm so exhilarated, I can't believe how I'm feeling, I didn't expect this to be possible. I'll be waiting eagerly for next episodes and I hope they'll even better than this one!

Similarly. Although I finoshed the first Gate just recently, I have a feeling that I've been waiting for this show for years.
Modified by RobertBobert, Apr 11, 2018 1:01 PM
Level of my english is still too poor, so ask not particularly angry because of my terrible grammar.

Apr 11, 2018 1:00 PM

It's finally here, it's good to see the Mad Scientist again!

Apr 11, 2018 1:04 PM

Great first episode IMO. I am one of those who just recently got to watch Steins;Gate so my memories of the show are still fresh. Can't wait.

Also the PTSD scene with Kurisu...Really shows how fucked up Okabe is.

Behold, a man!

Apr 11, 2018 1:08 PM
This was very interesting, the beginning of 0 is completely different from the original, I think this anime will be darker than the previous one.
~~

Apr 11, 2018 1:12 PM
Fappa said:
riorangel21 said:

EL PSY CONGROO

If only you knew the disrespect the people at Pierrot showed Ishida during season 2 of Tokyo ghoul you might feel a bitter taste in your mouth trying to defend them... It's a total surprise they still have it this season..

And you really have to try to mess up a manga like Tokyo ghoul re but..sigh
And worse..it's a studio with people who can but won't do it
ACTUALLY caring is important
The director of Fate/stay night Heaven's feel 1 was basically quacking in his shoes asking fans if they were cool with the adaptation while you hear people in another studio are throwing away the script the creator worked hard for.. You can't honestly say everyone cares

Anyways.. I appreciate your sentiments though...quite noble of you honestly
It's always just a mindless hate mob

At the very least we can be grateful Steins gate has a team of people who actually seem to care for it and all I can do is pray they can keep it up until the end
(plus there's the pressure of it basically being regarded as the best anime in Japan so..lol...rip the new director's blood pressure
You do not want to be that guy who ruined steins gate... XD)
1.1.Six

Apr 11, 2018 1:24 PM

It's too early to say if Steins;Gate 0 will be as good as the original, but I think it will be very very good

Apr 11, 2018 1:29 PM

White Fox nailed it!

Apr 11, 2018 1:37 PM

It's great to see the same characters again, I'm excited to see the rest of the series.

Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »