Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2018 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, this feels like a pretty calm show with tea gimmicks and a cast of male characters. Rokuhoudou seems like a normal place tbh and doesn't feel too special. Still, I do feel the place has a degree of realism to the way it looks.

The animation quality looks so-so imo, nothing really spectacular.

I kinda like how they went slightly creative with tea though like the face-like figure in the reflection. The comedy is also fine so far. I think this anime is just going to be a very relaxing show for the season.
Apr 10, 2018 10:00 AM

Jun 2015
This was a pretty relaxing and chill first episode. Those guys has a very nice cafe, it looks so retro. They have some good chemistry. The girl got to come up with an idea because of the atmosphere of the cafe.
Apr 10, 2018 10:06 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm fkin drowning in comfy.

That was fantastic!
Apr 10, 2018 10:55 AM

Dec 2014
well a soothing show.... the calmness is felt while watching it it seems
Apr 10, 2018 11:04 AM
Aug 2015
Is it a reverse harem/fujoshi oriented show?
Apr 10, 2018 11:07 AM
Feb 2018
zcoold said:

No it is from a seinen manga, so the target audience is males above 18.
Apr 10, 2018 12:12 PM

Jan 2017
This is a nice relaxing show. I felt mentally refreshed after watching it.

Apr 10, 2018 12:24 PM

May 2015
At first I thought it was another 4 min show, so I'm pleasantly surprised.
This is perfect after a busy day <3
Apr 10, 2018 12:45 PM

Sep 2015
One part reverse-GochiUsa, one part Isekai Shokudou, two parts really relaxing and nice anime =w=. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this. I adore soothing anime like what we're getting here, I love the calming atmosphere... and we have a character voiced by Ono Daisuke. That man's voice is a fking international treasure, lol. =w=
Apr 10, 2018 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
You just can’t ever go wrong with the reverse harem type anime! Well I can’t anyway, lol!

So many lovely handsome bishonen men running a wonderful looking Japanese tea room!

I’m already well and truly in love with this fabulous new series!
Apr 10, 2018 2:10 PM

Oct 2014
What a pleasant surprise. A chill iyashikei restaurant slice of life. There aren't many of these in this season. The visuals were pretty ok too; its clearly on a low budget but there's not much animation anyways. The food looks tasty too.
Apr 10, 2018 2:12 PM

Jun 2015
This is definitly not what I would consider a "bishounen anime" and from what I can tell after one episode it's probably not going to be a reverse harem either. This might shape up to be a decent Iyashikei recommendation for people who don't need a cast of cute girls to enjoy a comfy athmosphere.
Apr 10, 2018 2:24 PM

Apr 2017
No romance, no drama. Just a chill story with four (good-looking) guys, their cat and a traditional japanese tea shop, 10/10.

It's not a harem though, I see that people are misunderstandng.
Apr 10, 2018 2:27 PM

Oct 2010
Wait, when did this episode give reverse harem vibes? It is an iyashikei slice of life right from the beginning. Very obvious at that, in fact I'd say a little too obvious at that. It was a good premiere, but it seemed so focused on appearing calming and soothing that it backfired. You don't need the characters talking in a soft and mellow voice 100% of the time to make the viewer understand that the purpose of the show is to relax and sooth. That nitpick aside, it has great elements, the soundtrack seems good, the art is clean and the animation fluid enough, the characters seem fine and the concept is so intrinsically iyashikei that it almost writes itself... it just needs to combine these elements better (like, for instance, a better use of the soundtrack! It felt oddly placed at times) and as soon as it does it will be an absolute delight to watch every week. Definitely into but I hope it solidifes its potential.
Apr 10, 2018 3:12 PM
Aug 2015
SlrsBoxer said:
zcoold said:

No it is from a seinen manga, so the target audience is males above 18.

Thanks, but too much bishonen vibes for me, so I'll pass.
Apr 10, 2018 4:35 PM

Mar 2016
wtf why was this so relaxing!
It’s I nice show! I enjoyed watching it
Gure and the sweets dude are my favorites so far :)

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 10, 2018 4:57 PM

May 2017
Episode 1 are great, i really love the mood and vibe. It's really enjoyable and relaxing to watch after work, idk why i always seeking this kind of anime.
ED are great, can't wait for the next ep!
Apr 10, 2018 11:56 PM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Looks episodic to me kind of like Isekai Shokoudo. ED songs visuals and music is so good to watch.
Apr 11, 2018 1:12 AM

Nov 2012
I could feel my blood pressure drop in the first few minutes of this. I love cafes; the coffee, the tea, the chatter, the food. The cute guys don't hurt either.
Apr 11, 2018 1:21 AM

May 2012
Wow, i am surprised with the popular VAs that are in this series! I wish Kamiya Hiroshi is also here.
Apr 11, 2018 2:49 AM

Oct 2008
The most relaxed peaceful ambience show of Spring Season! and good looking men to boot! lolz!
All their servings are engrossed with such elegance!
5/5.

Apr 11, 2018 6:24 AM

Sep 2015
Nice and calmly. As long as they keep the main clients of the episode always girls I think this will be pretty good!
Apr 11, 2018 6:52 AM

Apr 2017
shiro_kai said:
Nice and calmly. As long as they keep the main clients of the episode always girls I think this will be pretty good!

Why should they have female clients only? It wouldn't hurt to see male clients and even kids (there even was a middle/high school girl at some point but she was too shy to enter). A tea shop isn't restricted to women after all.
Apr 11, 2018 7:01 AM

Oct 2013
Very relaxing show... I like the food and sweets in the show...
Enjoying the vibe
Apr 11, 2018 7:41 AM

Sep 2015
kikusan said:
shiro_kai said:

Why should they have female clients only? It wouldn't hurt to see male clients and even kids (there even was a middle/high school girl at some point but she was too shy to enter). A tea shop isn't restricted to women after all.

Of course not, anyone can enter it. I dint say they should allow female clients in the tea shop only, i said they should focus the interactions in the episode with girls because i liked how the casually interaction and pseudo-flerts developed. Of course I think it can work with kids too, would be cute.
Apr 11, 2018 8:26 AM
Feb 2017
Oh come on. What's with the unimpressive starting score? This episode was actually pretty good in my opinion. It was nice, relaxing and even funny at times. I love the characters already and I'm saying that as a guy so you know that's something. Honestly, I am confident that it will pass the 3 episode test. ^_^
Apr 11, 2018 1:34 PM

Feb 2013
You lucky boys and girls who have found your way to this cafe,
There's a supreme menu and top-notch service, all just for you.
Please, by all means, come and visit.

I dont know much about anime, but from the little I noticed, slice of life iyashikei featuring grown men as main characters are very rare. Its the first thing that hooked me. Another one is the fact I like tea and coffee...a lot.

There is some wonky animation where the eyes are not looking where they should sometimes but other than that its great. Loving the color-palette.

Also, scores dont matter guys, Its just silly popularity contest that generates flame wars and therefore more traffic for the websites.
Apr 11, 2018 7:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wasn't sure about trying this one out, but it sure was a pleasant surprise! So glad I didn't dismiss this series, seems like it'll be the iyashikei of the season for me ^^

I'm liking all 4 MCs, and the first episode was overall a very nice watch. It was fun seeing the lady be distracted by the enticing food and then realized that she should spend time relaxing as well. Although she missed the cherry blossoms outside, she was the first to notice the sakura petal chopstick holder!

That ED ❤️
Apr 11, 2018 9:13 PM

Sep 2011
If it continues like this, this series will undoubtedly win the "Hidden Gem of the Season" award. The execution was absolutely stellar. The overuse of static backgrounds actually worked extraordinarily well, and each shot was beautiful. The voice acting of the four men was spot on. Ono Daisuke and Junichi Suwabe have the perfect voices for this sort of thing.

Watching this really struck a chord with me. Everybody needs that one place where they can forget about the world around them and just live to enjoy the moment; a place where you can be comfortable and have some great food. Despite having something about 3/4 of the way there I still stopped and thought about what that place would be for me.

That (self-reflection) is something that is extremely hard for any medium to do for me, and this episode was an exemplary example of why I love anime as a medium. I have no doubt these feelings will lessen as I see more episodes, but until then I will enjoy myself at Rokuhoudou.
Apr 12, 2018 4:59 AM

May 2015
For some reason I thought it would be specifically about tea but oh well, it's nice as it is too. I hope it'll have this comfy and relaxing atmosphere throughout all series.
Apr 13, 2018 3:53 AM

Dec 2016
A little too relaxing. Took me a few days to complete the first episode — kept falling asleep while watching it.

Always happy to see a cat in a show that isn't going to be killed as a plot device (like some other shows these past few seasons).

I hope they will develop the MC guys more. Right now they are a bit nondescript.

But a decent enough start.
^___^
Apr 13, 2018 6:15 AM
May 2015
This anime is so relaxing!!! Loved how peaceful the men were and their recipes!!!
Apr 13, 2018 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
Yes. This is what i need.
Apr 14, 2018 4:03 AM
May 2014
Smudy said:
I'm fkin drowning in comfy.

My thought exactly. I was feeling so damn tired and decided to look for something mild entertaining and relaxing to watch; just wanted something to watch while i rest myself. Going in without any expectation, it was a pleasant surprise! More than what I expect!

Not only am I being soothed by the atmosphere of the shop and the scenery. I was lightened up by all those well presented food. I love sweets and tea and traditional Japanese dessert is one of my favourite. oh those chewy glutinous rice balls with azuki beans paste, matcha icecream. I want some now!

The place is elegant and the staffs are nice. I like how this shop has a garden that you can look at through a window when enjoying your food, and the garden looks like a mini bamboo forest like an oasis in a concrete surrounding.

Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
You lucky boys and girls who have found your way to this cafe,
There's a supreme menu and top-notch service, all just for you.
Please, by all means, come and visit.

Yeah right, i am a lucky one who walked into this cafe by chance :D

Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
Also, scores dont matter guys, Its just silly popularity contest that generates flame wars and therefore more traffic for the websites.

IKR, the score is just silly! surely it deserves more than 6.95
sakurayouApr 14, 2018 4:11 AM
Apr 14, 2018 4:48 AM

Jul 2015
Shes right. The cafe sells by having hot guys, the good food and drinks are just a bonus. It was slow, but I'm fine with that, and the comedy won't bad... errr... what little of it there was anyway. Also can I ship the girl and glasses dude? CAN I SHIP THEM... Its too late, I already ship them.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 14, 2018 4:59 AM
Mar 2012
The food art looks delish, esp the meat, ikura & salmon.
Animations bit better than some other SOLs.
Apr 15, 2018 8:07 AM
Mar 2010
My heart. I feel so good right now. God bless this anime.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 15, 2018 6:36 PM

Feb 2015
I was quite surprised how nice and relaxing this episode really is very good
Apr 16, 2018 5:14 AM

Jun 2007
it was quite nice.
however customers complaining about their lives to stuff = not okay. service workers are not paid to waste their energy listening to some boring ass bs. using your status as a client is a jerk move. go to a therapist if you want somebody to listen
see you, space cowperson . . .
Apr 16, 2018 11:20 AM

Mar 2015
I didn’t realise how stressed I was until I watched this episode & felt completely relaxed. I LOVE cafes so much & I just loved the whole atmosphere of this episode, so beautiful it brought me to tears.
I started wishing there was a cafe like that around here..
Alright, it’s settled this is gonna be a fav this season!
Apr 16, 2018 3:30 PM
Oct 2016
I really like this show so far! The whole atmosphere of it is calm, which is what the tea place in the show is supposed to be as well. They want to provide relief to stressed out customers. I feel like that's how this show makes me feel. Relief. Also, I'm digging the animation. Frame rate is pretty nice in some parts, especially compared to some other very stale works this season. I look forward to the rest of this show this season.
Apr 17, 2018 3:55 AM

Oct 2010
The score for this series reflects perfectly my sentiment for it. On what god damn planet is this series seinen? it's a lie I say A LIE! and I ask who in the seinen demographic will say "hey guys you know what kind of anime I want to watch, definitely NOT a series like Akira, nope I want to watch a slice of life series aimed at me" whatever the hell that means. I could buy this as a slice of life/seinen series if the setting was different if instead of four guys running a cafe it's four guys running a bar or hell at least god damn hybrid of both. This is worst kind of series because it's a series that has masterfully disguised the fact that it's actually shoujo or even josei.
Apr 17, 2018 8:13 AM
May 2014
AchromicFlame said:
The score for this series reflects perfectly my sentiment for it. On what god damn planet is this series seinen? it's a lie I say A LIE! and I ask who in the seinen demographic will say "hey guys you know what kind of anime I want to watch, definitely NOT a series like Akira, nope I want to watch a slice of life series aimed at me" whatever the hell that means. I could buy this as a slice of life/seinen series if the setting was different if instead of four guys running a cafe it's four guys running a bar or hell at least god damn hybrid of both. This is worst kind of series because it's a series that has masterfully disguised the fact that it's actually shoujo or even josei.

You may have some misunderstanding as to what these labels: 'shounen', 'seinen',' shoujo', 'josei' mean. These terms have really loose definitions as to what the content might be, the only thing that defines them is the target audience- demographic as you have mentioned.

Seinen means 青年= young adults. It can include titles like Akira that has a more mature theme that kids probably won't enjoy, but it also includes anything that a seinen manga magazine thinks appeal to young adults.

Generally speaking works that have gory content and disturbing theme would be serialized in a seinen magazine as oppose to a shounen one, but that doesn't mean all works in seinen magazine are like that. As I have already said these labels all boils down to their demographics, as to what label a series has ultimately depends on the magazine it is serialized in; if a magazine market themself as a seinen, it is then a seinen series.

There are examples that the content alone makes one think it's a seinen but it is actually a shounen just because it is in a shounen magazine, like Claymore which has more gore than your typical shounen. On the other hand, what feels like a shounen titile can be a seinen, like One Punch Man. Quote from japanesewithanime.com: "The reason it's seinen is because OPM is about a guy who doesn't get the recognition he deserves for the work he has done, often being overshadowed by characters who brag though having done less than him. A theme adults working full-time jobs will sympathize with and laugh about while kids will find rather boring since the fights are always one-sided and there is no real obstacle to overcome."

Back to the case at hand, Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori is a seinen because its source material manga is in a seinen magazine. It does not disguised as seinen, it is. It's just that it doesn't match your idea of seinen, a limited understanding.

Here's an article i suggest you read so you won't get disappointed in the future for thinking a series should be a certain way according to the label. A real good explanation of what these labels are:https://www.japanesewithanime.com/2016/07/shounen-shoujo-seinen-josei-difference.html

Finally, i really what to say you shouldn't discount this series because it is not your idea of a seinen, because it is not meant to be. Put these labels aside, and judge it for what it is. It may not be your cup of tea, but this should not be account for your evaluation.
sakurayouApr 17, 2018 8:17 AM
Apr 17, 2018 1:32 PM

Mar 2016
Relaxing and refreshing! Great to go along side the more action packed ones this season ^_^

Apr 17, 2018 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
So chill and relaxing! Very nice first episode and amazing seiyuu cast.
Apr 22, 2018 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
"Mamma mia!" reaction was priceless. Caught me off guard, I started laughing.
Jan 24, 2023 7:39 PM

Jan 2021
This anime was made for me.

Soothing, relaxing, calming. The atmosphere is incredibly cozy. I really feel satisfied seeing these hot older guys aka ikemen wearing traditional clothes and serving Japanese food and sweets... not to mention the character designs + voice acting are absolutely perfect :') my eyes, ears and heart are blessed.

Watching this made me feel (for lack of a better word) grateful. Like, feeling 'enough' and reminding me to be happy with simplicity. ♡♡

I may sound very biased but I love this so much! Totally for me!

Sep 19, 2023 5:20 AM
Aug 2022
You can't sit there all day with only a cup of latte girl.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

13 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 20, 2023 3:58 AM

Poll: » Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori Episode 10 Discussion

Fayrin - Aug 9, 2018

1 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 20, 2023 1:58 AM

Poll: » Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori Episode 9 Discussion

Fayrin - Aug 9, 2018

1 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 20, 2023 1:40 AM

Poll: » Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 15, 2018

12 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 19, 2023 2:36 PM

Poll: » Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2018

29 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.