Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2018 2:18 PM
Apr 2018
Mattinator95 said:
dfgrty92 said:
fk those people who hatin this. it's faithful to its source and you still want that fck up clustersht non canon ending in Born.

ive also read people moaning that the vali fight wasnt long enough ......im like what are they watching it wasnt even meant to be a fight all vali was meant to do is contain issei power and get close to him to use divine dividing to stop his aura so rias can go to him. plus this episode basically fixs and gets rid of the curse from BorN and does the smart thing and basically wipes the last 3 episodes of BorN ..

All they want are fight scenes and they didn't notice this is just episode 0. There's plenty of good of fights and fanservice (especially the Church Trio scene) in this season
Apr 11, 2018 2:52 PM
Apr 2018
people keep complain about the character design at least the animation moving still 2D and better than a new berserk.
Apr 11, 2018 3:06 PM
Mar 2016
The animation, new graphics, dialogs. All those were just awful. That was worse than I thought it would have been. I don't even know if I will try to reach the end. I expected a lot more than I saw. Maybe first three seasons set the high standard, but what I saw was just pure garbage. I got mad since it was the very first anime that really got me into the whole thing.
Apr 11, 2018 3:09 PM

Apr 2008
KyreDevotional said:
The animation, new graphics, dialogs. All those were just awful. That was worse than I thought it would have been. I don't even know if I will try to reach the end. I expected a lot more than I saw. Maybe first three seasons set the high standard, but what I saw was just pure garbage. I got mad since it was the very first anime that really got me into the whole thing.

Animation last season was nowhere near as good as it was in this single episode. The fluidity is far better too. Maybe you should refresh your memory.
Apr 11, 2018 3:10 PM
Mar 2016
DoctorWasabi said:
oh god, seeing the new Artsyle in the episode in motion makes me sad....

Wish we had TNK doing this anime still

I mean...the art is not bad, its just that it's too cutesy and moe. It doesn't give off a sexy appeal like the original had

I never thought I would see the day where I'm not looking forward to more DXD *Sigh* well I guess this season is a good filler for when I'm bored.

If I may thrqw my opinion... It's not good even for that kind of thing.
Apr 11, 2018 3:24 PM
Feb 2017
Pretty cool episode, i was confused at first since it didn't seem to follow season 3, but i understood later, the new art style is good i guess? it didn't really bother me and i didn't really care as long as the characters are easily recognizable.

Seeing Shalba getting destroyed by Issei after acting so smug was priceless, also Vali white dragon form looks cooler to me in this art style than in the previous one

overall 4/5 because we didn't get to see Rias facial expression when he touched her.
Apr 11, 2018 3:31 PM

Sep 2016
why is issei's dragon form getting narrated by the legendary narrator?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 11, 2018 3:38 PM

May 2008
Only thing I'm sad about was the new art, plus I was a bit confused cause I forgot entirely how BORN ended since it's been ages so things seemed different, but I think Born's ending was wrong or AU'd or something so maybe that explains it? I really need to watch the OVAs to get this better...

Regardless, fuck yeah the titties are back.

Apr 11, 2018 3:45 PM
Jan 2018
Never understood why Issei and Vali became so friendly. Guy threatens to kill him, his friends and family for his own pleasure and days after he is suddenly friends with the guy.

Didn't feel much danger coming from the juggernaut drive. The dragon just stays there in the same spot shooting lasers in the air and destroying some... pillars I guess. Doesn't also help adding more tension when you can see the others talking normally while the creature doesn't even move.

"I love you,I will always be at your side". Well, doesn't she already stays almost
all the time with him?
Apr 11, 2018 3:59 PM

Jan 2015
Okay, so I just watched this episode (people are saying this is episode 0 so I guess we can call it that) and it was just a recap of a few episodes of Born. The animation style, which a lot of people were put off from, wasn't really bad. I mean, it is noticeably different from the previous seasons, but to me, the style was not terrible at all.

And it seems like they were trying to fix the mistakes they made in Born, and I commend them for that. I can't wait to see what this new season brings.
Apr 11, 2018 4:10 PM
Apr 2018
EYeager said:
WoW the whole episode was remade for the sole purpose of introducing the 'Oppai Song'.
I thought as they are following the LN there will be many changes, but it was all for the song.
Though it was hilarious.

to funny lol 🤣 expecialy Vali reaction
Apr 11, 2018 6:14 PM
Jan 2018
SPEERS said:
Mister-axe said:
Never understood why Issei and Vali became so friendly. Guy threatens to kill him, his friends and family for his own pleasure and days after he is suddenly friends with the guy.

It's supposed to be more of a rivalry than hostile relationship. Issei went nuts at the end of the 2nd season purely because of the idea of Azazel mentioning that Vali's half dimension could shrink the tits of girls.

Still, he did threaten to kill his family just for the sake of fighting seriously with him. Normally, you don't just dismiss a threat like that, but this is Issei. Guy thinks more with his little head than the big one. Also, it's not like we see their relationship gradually changing to friendly rivals. They rarely meet after their fight and now they are just nice with each other. Still, I may have miss something, but I only watched the anime, so this is my perspective.
Apr 11, 2018 6:22 PM

Apr 2008
Mister-axe said:
SPEERS said:

It's supposed to be more of a rivalry than hostile relationship. Issei went nuts at the end of the 2nd season purely because of the idea of Azazel mentioning that Vali's half dimension could shrink the tits of girls.

Still, he did threaten to kill his family just for the sake of fighting seriously with him. Normally, you don't just dismiss a threat like that, but this is Issei. Guy thinks more with his little head than the big one. Also, it's not like we see their relationship gradually changing to friendly rivals. They rarely meet after their fight and now they are just nice with each other. Still, I may have miss something, but I only watched the anime, so this is my perspective.

Considering how he comes to feel about Ophis later down the line it's really nothing that strange. The fact of the matter is Vali is his senior as a host to one of the dragons. He is a benchmark to hold himself to.
Apr 11, 2018 6:47 PM
Jan 2018
Darklight0303 said:
Mister-axe said:

Considering how he comes to feel about Ophis later down the line it's really nothing that strange. The fact of the matter is Vali is his senior as a host to one of the dragons. He is a benchmark to hold himself to.

Haven't thought about that, interesting. If Vali serves as a standard by which Issei can measure himself and there is no hostility between them( not anymore at least), then doesn't the whole " They are destined to fight each other" looses a little bit of conflict, or perhaps, it would be better to say drama? I mean, there really isn't any difference in ideology, factions or desires that forces them to fight. They just choose to do it. Issei isn't even interested in fighting for the sake of fighting. He wants to build a harem.

Then again, if fighting is the only way to improve your status and this is required for becoming a king and so having a harem, I guess Issei could have a motive for wanting to fight the other guy. Though, it wouldn't be the same as if they were destined to fight.
Mister-axeApr 11, 2018 7:30 PM
Apr 11, 2018 6:55 PM

Dec 2013
It’s better than I expected but I still have some mixed feelings about the new art style.

At least the song was still hilarious.
Apr 11, 2018 6:58 PM

Feb 2013
One of the best opening episodes to Spring 2018.
Apr 11, 2018 7:47 PM
Nov 2015
I liked the episode and the art and animation and all that. I'm super happy that it's back and all. BUT it just for some reason bothered me how Rias just encouraged Asia in the final few minutes. Maybe it's just me but idk. It just didn't seem like how things would normally go.
Apr 11, 2018 7:48 PM

Apr 2008
AnimeNerd34 said:
I liked the episode and the art and animation and all that. I'm super happy that it's back and all. BUT it just for some reason bothered me how Rias just encouraged Asia in the final few minutes. Maybe it's just me but idk. It just didn't seem like how things would normally go.

Nope that's exactly how it went in the novel
Apr 11, 2018 8:09 PM
Oct 2016
I really wanted to see woth Issei power from Born when he took that weird chess peace. Are they destroying that route?
Apr 11, 2018 8:27 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty decent episode even though it felt like I had seen most of it before but then again I guess that's why this is a recap and from what I read here, it's different from BorN's ending.
If they're retconning the old ending to follow the LN then that's a good thing I guess.

The boob press was a little over the top and stuff but hey we're watching for the 'plot' after all. xD

That kiss at the end though.
Apr 11, 2018 9:32 PM

Sep 2011
Now that i seen it with a good sub i must say this is a good ass episode. Beautiful almost 360 JD angle transformation, shalba got rek like trash, vali JD form looks good, oppai song & asia issei sweet moments (asia have the best characters development than any other dxd girls expect rias duh). They didn't have to do this ep & save the money and go strait to the kyoto arc but they did. Now that bullshit out of the way i hope that the animation (need a bit more animation on their faces = reaction shot) stay consistence like this ep throughout the season.
Apr 11, 2018 9:56 PM

Jan 2008
Just rewatched the series just to prep for this.

New visuals look pretty good, no derpy face from far shots yet, the original had quite a bit. Character designs might take another episode to get use to. Issei looks like less of a slob but the girls don't look as hot. Rias and Akeno not having their sharp eye make them look less mature. Vali look totally different. Asia's face is a bit on the chubby side.

With having just finished the previous season, noticed right away where the story changes. starting from Akeno and Koneko asking Vali for help. Instead of Rias going at it with Vali helping, they go with the power of oppai. Some other changes that weren't shown either it seems as well.

Even if this is the real one, based on what some have said, this version sure is silly, though I guess you could say all the finales were.
PaulApr 11, 2018 10:00 PM
Apr 11, 2018 10:01 PM

Aug 2013
Lilith_succubus said:
this episode was shit we waited 3 years and the first episode is just a bloody recap in the new art style... get the fudge out... even tokyo ghoul:Re didnt do a recap even if they also have an new season 3 years later... anyhow for anyone who wants a link (sadly its raw) https://goanimelist.com/high-school-dxd-hero-episode-1#raw this is my full opinion tho... i prefer watching everything instead of this shiat first episode... episode 2 better be much more intresting and quicker on the sub and upload time

Lol you think a recap, which isnt actually an episode of the series, just a standalone is a bad thing?

Sure keep comparing to Tokyo Ghoul bud. They fucked that story harder than the new meat on the prison block in Root A, and they literally held a press event and told fans to read the manga so :re would make sense. They didnt even bother to retconn or re-tell anything with the anime, they forced you to read the manga...AND the first episode of :re was fucking garbage. At least this new studio went out of their way to fix a major fuckup that they could've just ignored, but they decided to go ahead and make an extra episode. Studio Pierrot is a bigger studio with more money and they screwed up Tokyo Ghoul and even they couldnt be bothered to fix it.
Apr 11, 2018 10:07 PM

Aug 2013
I've got mixed feelings.

For one, I'm glad that Passione went out of their way to completely re-do all of the shit that AWOL director from TNK fucked up. They didnt have to but did anyway. Could've written it off or pretended it was a side story, but they actually went back and properly redid episode 7(?) from Born and made it so those last 3 even more cancerous episodes never happened. So props to them for doing it and doing it right.

On the downside, that animation and even some of the art was pretty shit. I always said I wasnt a fan of the new art, even if it's closer to the LN. Having the same art style for years just leads it to grow on you no matter what. But at the same time I wasn't put off by it. I was never going to not watch it and let the art stop me. It's just art, I'll get used to it, and it's not like it's ugly.

But fuck, there were times when the characters mouths were hardly moving, the amount of voice acting was like as minimal as possible, the amount of still frames, and just face shots of characters with no emotion behind them, some derpy frames, a lot of it just looked insanely low budget. I just kind of expected more from a studio that's probably near failure since they literally havent put out a successful selling project since they started and were then handed a massive successful franchise to work with on a silver platter. If I was the head of that studio I'd be fucking treating DxD like the goose with the golden egg.

Perhaps they just didnt put as much effort into this since it was a recap episode, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
Apr 11, 2018 11:17 PM

Jan 2011
This episode goes to show how fucked Born really was ,that season really did rub off a lot of love i had for this series but it's been long enough and them trying to fix it for the new season was a start man...that song oh DXD

i've noticed a lot of people not being a fan of the new art style which is fair i also kinda miss it as well but i also feel like it just looked super dated after watching the OVA and while some of the other characters look good with it i could never stand how Asia looked compared to the new one,not to mention i get to look at Uno Makoto designs without all the futa which is nice hopefully it stays consistent some of the lesser quality faces didn't look too hot at times.

my verdict older girls old art > new art
younger girls new art> old art
Apr 11, 2018 11:20 PM

Mar 2008
I love the new artwork and seeing Juggernaut drive again. Best part was Oppai Dragon song and Rias being dubbed the Switch Princess. lol
Apr 11, 2018 11:48 PM
Mar 2016
honestly i always look Grand Design DXD
that really Great Potential Plot
with Heavenly Dragon Battle
Conflict Beetwen Factions
Conflict Internal Faction
Conflict Faction vs Organization
Individual Conflicts
but Author choose Another "PLOT" :(
Apr 11, 2018 11:50 PM
Mar 2017
This anime though i like the new art style because the new one issei look more mature and the girls they're all look cute and i can't wait for the next week episode
Apr 11, 2018 11:57 PM

Mar 2014
I really hope next season goes back to the original art style, it was so much better before.
Apr 12, 2018 12:12 AM

May 2016
Oh gods, I hope this episode was so badly produced only because it's a recap and they didn't care. It's all so still.

The new artstyle doesn't work at all, but worse, there seems to be no dedication to fanservice. In Highschool DxD.
When they had to show Rias's tits, it felt almost like they did so begrudgingly.
Apr 12, 2018 12:37 AM
Mar 2016
Icedout15 said:
I really hope next season goes back to the original art style, it was so much better before.

Specimen021 said:
Oh gods, I hope this episode was so badly produced only because it's a recap and they didn't care. It's all so still.

The new artstyle doesn't work at all, but worse, there seems to be no dedication to fanservice. In Highschool DxD.
When they had to show Rias's tits, it felt almost like they did so begrudgingly.

you guys should give up, Studio in Working is Different
i think because past Studio make LN Author Angry from unconsistent and original anime work
and this is not recap, past season (Born) ending has original work from Studio
this time look like Current Studio try to change story to close as LN
Apr 12, 2018 12:39 AM

Apr 2008
Hamudanu said:
Icedout15 said:

Specimen021 said:

you guys should give up, Studio in Working is Different
i think because past Studio make LN Author Angry from unconsistent and original anime work
and this is not recap, past season (Born) ending has original work from Studio
this time look like Current Studio try to change story to close as LN

It's not just that. The author had the staff read the novels this time and he is writing the script. SO yeah TNK the vain bastards are never coming back
Apr 12, 2018 1:06 AM

Aug 2016
My beautiful waifu♥♥♥ returned after so many years, I know that her animation changed but it is still the same as always and this time more adapted to the manga.
Apr 12, 2018 2:05 AM
Jan 2018
THIS ISNT A MANGA SERIES ITS A LIGHT NOVEL SERIES
Apr 12, 2018 2:34 AM
Feb 2018
Well this is a lil rough why'd they have to go on and change the art style on us?? Also there's censoring now 😂 ahh anyway movin on why is it (well from what I heard anyway) but why is it they had a whole new studio do the new season in general? the studio that did seasons 1 through 3 always did an amazing job if you ask me man but anyway...either way there is somethin on a website called change.org and its a petition you sign and what it does is let the studio or whoever know that almost everyone wants them to go back to the original art style so.. It's a pretty cool thing that they did that.
AnimeManTyApr 12, 2018 2:39 AM
Apr 12, 2018 2:37 AM

Apr 2008
AnimeManTy said:
Well this is a lil rough why'd they have to go on and change the art style on us?? Also there's censoring now 😂 ahh anyway movin on why is it (well from what I heard anyway) but why is it they had a whole new studio do the new season in general? the studio that did seasons 1 through 3 always did an amazing job if you ask me man but anyway...either way there is somethin on a website called change.org and its a petition you sign and what it does is let the studio or whoever know that almost everyone wants them to go back to the original art style so.. It's a pretty cool thing that they did that.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1720577#msg54891416 Here's your answer. to sum it up TNK were bastards. Good luck getting any true fan of DXD signing something that ridiculous
Darklight0303Apr 12, 2018 2:57 AM
Apr 12, 2018 3:00 AM
Sep 2016
This episode deserves a 10 for the Oppai Dragon song alone. I'm happy that they retconned the end of Born because the anime only material would have been terribly in the way of the real development between Issei and Rias that is supposed to happen. I would have loved if they animated Ex to retcon things, but I guess It would have been too spoilerish for anime only viewers.
For people who aren't satisfied about how Issei came back from Juggernaut Drive... remember this is a series where the MC gets power ups by poking breasts. Expect breasts to always have a central role in everything related to Issei.
Apr 12, 2018 3:23 AM
Mar 2017
I prefer the old animated graphic display rather than the new one, because the new look is more concrete and the story is not the same as the original #😭😭😭
Apr 12, 2018 3:31 AM

Apr 2008
Maula21 said:
I prefer the old animated graphic display rather than the new one, because the new look is more concrete and the story is not the same as the original #😭😭😭

So you prefer a fanfiction that completely goes against the tone of the source material. Then why watch an adaptation of something at all.
Apr 12, 2018 4:12 AM
Jun 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Maula21 said:

So you prefer a fanfiction that completely goes against the tone of the source material. Then why watch an adaptation of something at all.

What can I say - go and read your beloved LN than. Most of adaptations differ from its original source. They are more or less standalone products. And this one WAS an awesome. Now it's a total plastic soulless crap from a puny studio. If the wanted to ruin everything what it's been for all this years and three awesome season - they should've just make a remake of the whole series, like lots of studios do, not just ruin all this with this 4th season crap.
Apr 12, 2018 4:15 AM

Apr 2008
Blackraven6 said:
Darklight0303 said:

What can I say - go and read your beloved LN than. Most of adaptations differ from its original source. They are more or less standalone products. And this one WAS an awesome. Now it's a total plastic soulless crap from a puny studio. If the wanted to ruin everything what it's been for all this years and three awesome season - they should've just make a remake of the whole series, like lots of studios do, not just ruin all this with this 4th season crap.

Hahahahahaha oh you're adorable. The only reason this exists is because of us LN readers. If you think you have a leg to stand on choosing a shitty fanfiction that destroyed LATER developments that were handled SO MUCH Better then well you're going to have a baaaad time here buddy. Maybe go watch something else
Apr 12, 2018 4:17 AM
Jun 2014
Lex1979 said:

For people who aren't satisfied about how Issei came back from Juggernaut Drive... remember this is a series where the MC gets power ups by poking breasts. Expect breasts to always have a central role in everything related to Issei.

Yeah. This booby theme was balanced enough in Born and other. Now its comical crap for 12-14 years old kids with puberty problems. It was an echi with style, now its just lame cheap stuff with zero seriousness.
Apr 12, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2008
Blackraven6 said:
Lex1979 said:

Yeah. This booby theme was balanced enough in Born and other. Now its comical crap for 12-14 years old kids with puberty problems. It was an echi with style, now its just lame cheap stuff with zero seriousness.

LOL there's plenty seriousness in later volumes. Again your ignorance is adorable I have to say
Apr 12, 2018 4:20 AM

Jan 2016
oh tay then.. confusing but mostly cause of the ugly new coloring and animation.. I'm sorry I can't.. either way i extremely happy that they finally fix the ending of Born so it can continue as it shall. little slow but we will see what happens then , am trying not to have high expectations for this anime tbh.. sadly..
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Apr 12, 2018 4:28 AM
Jun 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Blackraven6 said:

Hahahahahaha oh you're adorable. The only reason this exists is because of us LN readers. If you think you have a leg to stand on choosing a shitty fanfiction that destroyed LATER developments that were handled SO MUCH Better then well you're going to have a baaaad time here buddy. Maybe go watch something else

Hah. I do prefer this thing to not exist. Better to not see what crap it became. Your funny thinking, that you mean for this product something more than me or any other anime watcher. You, maybe, mean something to author of LN as a reader. But the anime is a product. It makes money for studio. They may like the title or not, but the money is the meaning of the WORK. And you mean nothing more here than any other random guy watching it. So don't be so arrogant, or you may break your nose, where everyone else just stumble.
Apr 12, 2018 4:29 AM
Jun 2014
Darklight0303 said:

LOL there's plenty seriousness in later volumes. Again your ignorance is adorable I have to say

LATER volumes. Ok. Than you agree that THIS one has no seriousness.
Apr 12, 2018 4:45 AM
Sep 2016
Blackraven6 said:
Lex1979 said:

It's always been like that. Remember in New, the fight between Issei and Vali? What gave Issei the strength to overpower his rival? It was the fear that the girls' breasts would be halved. The fight with Kuroka? He attained Balance Breaker by poking Rias' breasts.
Apr 12, 2018 5:02 AM

Feb 2015
Good amount of people still dont make difference from Art that is affecting single frame at the time and Animation that is sequence of said frames/pictures moving in Motion really ignorant.

I am liking the change all characters look more lively for the most part, if you think this kind of art is not suitable for fanservice because it is too moe, then you dont obviously dont know what you are talking about, just look at T -Rex studio and most of their newer hentai for like last 5 years or so, and tell me that it is too moe AT ALL TIMES it can be tweaked as hell depending on situation. Or if you want even more close comparison To Love Ru is also not far off from this style DXD is using now.

I have only read first couple of chapters of LN and designs are almost same. Vali in particular looks so freaking awesome and laidback with that hair, if i was the girl i would wet pantsu for him XD. And Sairaorg too such difference like new person.

As far as action i loved how Issei Destroyed Shalba here more then in Born. I liked how they all looked at Rias as last solution while she was turning her back XD. Oppai song while slightly cringy is always nice too hear it makes sense for Issei since he is not supposed to be actual normal hero, like people forgot how much of weirdo goofball he is over the years.

Comedy was on point especially i died when i saw those notifications of Azazel and Lucifer Production during the montage ahaha. And i bet Azazel was watching whole thing from somewhere must have died of laughing from those scenes.

Did i saw loki captured under some chains or was that just my imagination, or was that some other character. Asia went over 9000 bold right there and here i was thinking why Rias said too her good luck Asia give your best or something around that lines, was she not thinking only of Healing because healing for Asia is nothing.

ExowaveApr 12, 2018 6:27 AM
Apr 12, 2018 5:08 AM

Jan 2015
I like how the reviews are taken down.

People need to research before posting shit.
Apr 12, 2018 5:25 AM
Jun 2014
Lex1979 said:
Blackraven6 said:

It's always been like that. Remember in New, the fight between Issei and Vali? What gave Issei the strength to overpower his rival? It was the fear that the girls' breasts would be halved. The fight with Kuroka? He attained Balance Breaker by poking Rias' breasts.

Yep. I'm not saying there was none. I said it was balanced. It had a style. A feeling. Boobs was something more than just boobs. It was a booby philosophy, something bigger than meat. It was a higher goal and a path to enlightening. Now its just plastic tits. There's no soul in it. Something similar to Love:ru and other meaningless echi, that you can just fap on. Lots of hentais are more meaningful than this new season.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» High school Dxd Drinking game.

GrimAtrament - May 1, 2018

4 by Jamester_UWU »»
Aug 1, 2022 11:39 PM

» Since this retcons the last 4 episodes of season 3 should i just skip the last 4

Omnitrix10 - Apr 17, 2018

4 by ChartTopper60 »»
Mar 20, 2021 8:19 AM

» Difference between Borns Ending (last 3 episodes) and this episode?

-_Removed_- - Apr 14, 2018

3 by TheDeadWalk »»
Feb 7, 2020 8:10 PM

» What is this? ( 1 2 )

begija - Apr 12, 2018

52 by GrimAtrament »»
May 1, 2018 4:16 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero: Taiikukan-ura no Holy Episode 1 Discussion

joe_g7 - Apr 12, 2018

27 by julyan »»
Apr 13, 2018 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.