Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2018 4:12 AM

Jul 2012
For a second i thought i was watching old season, didn't think they would completely throw out previous season for the sake of continuing LN path, even if it was pretty bad. As for the recap episode not really impressed, felt like there might've been a need to rewatch for some explanations, i like the series overall but not to the point of rewatching. And so used to the old art-style so not a fan of the change. Still it is some kind of reintroduction episode so let's see how it goes, for now just decent.
Apr 11, 2018 4:40 AM

Sep 2015
Becaise the anime original on last season this new season's 1st ep are recap and feel like the end of season.

Oppai Dragon is the only good thing from last season and that was amazing way to use it LOL.

While the animation is better still can't used to new style.

This is remind me why i love DxD so much.
Into the Internet!
Apr 11, 2018 4:53 AM

Mar 2012
You know BLESS YoUr NAME will fit as the OP because it will cover vol 10.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 11, 2018 5:10 AM

Aug 2012
Not so much a recap as an alternate version of episode 9. Having watched both on the same day the biggest difference for me was not just the resolution to the juggernaut drive but the entire tone of the climax, going from dramatic to more of a comedic angle. Hard to say which I preferred right now as I can't say I hated how BorN dealt with it, it'll be interesting to see how things progress from here.
Apr 11, 2018 5:32 AM

Aug 2017
Jdogla said:
Xander_Cage said:
no no no no no no...why did they show asia and issei kiss, i just can't imagine them as couple.
issei with any other girl is fine except for asia.
Ohhh Xander as a LN reader let me tell you if you don't like the Issei Asia couple thing STOP now it only gets worse.

really.. they get even more closer!!
O man, f**k, guess i'll just ignore those scenes cause i won't stop watching :D
Apr 11, 2018 6:07 AM

Aug 2017
Xander_Cage said:
Jdogla said:
Ohhh Xander as a LN reader let me tell you if you don't like the Issei Asia couple thing STOP now it only gets worse.

Don't mind it. I'll spoil a bit though you'll probably be happy about it.
Issei never thought of Asia as a romantic interest before this kiss. He thought of her as his sister. Rias is the main heroine don't worry.
At least he got a kiss. No dense mf here.
Boooostooooo
Apr 11, 2018 6:12 AM
Apr 2013
Xander_Cage said:
Jdogla said:

Man you won't really be able to ignore it.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
George S. Patton
A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding.
Douglas MacArthur
Any more WW2 generals I should quote?
Apr 11, 2018 6:26 AM
Feb 2018
Guys, its a EPISODE 0 AND NOT EPISODE 1, THE NEXT IS EPISODE 1 WITH THE NEW STORY
Apr 11, 2018 6:30 AM

Aug 2017
Naman_Gupta said:
Xander_Cage said:

Issei never thought of Asia as a romantic interest before this kiss. He thought of her as his sister.

that's one of the reasons and asia always forces herself on issei and i don't see any chemistry between them.
i don't really like asia tbh, so i'll just ignore her for the most part as you said.
Jdogla said:
Xander_Cage said:

i heard that he was engaged to rias,akeno and xenovia from my friend but not asia.
he said that issei still thinks that he's responsible for the safety of asia but never really thought of her in a romantic way or something like that.
Apr 11, 2018 6:33 AM

Feb 2017
Art Style ≠ Animation.

While I like the fact that TNK's art style had more facial detail, the animation was like watching key frames slide across the screen. It was nowhere near as fluid in BorN as this first episode of HerO was. I'd much rather have actual exciting animated fights and whatnot, over looking at TNK's keyframes pose in battle. (At least in the first two seasons, the animation was done well enough to go with the art style.)

About the episode itself, it was soo refreshing to have this show back airing, and this retcon episode delivered for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but seeing as this is not really an episode that they would pour the budget into, I have high hopes for this season.
Apr 11, 2018 6:35 AM
Jan 2018
jenluckwatson said:
Guys, its a EPISODE 0 AND NOT EPISODE 1, THE NEXT IS EPISODE 1 WITH THE NEW STORY

people never bother to look up stuff. well most people
Apr 11, 2018 6:35 AM
Apr 2013
Xander_Cage said:
Naman_Gupta said:

Issei never thought of Asia as a romantic interest before this kiss. He thought of her as his sister.

that's one of the reasons and asia always forces herself on issei and i don't see any chemistry between them.
i don't really like asia tbh, so i'll just ignore her for the most part as you said.
Jdogla said:

i heard that he was engaged to rias,akeno and xenovia from my friend but not asia.
he said that issei still thinks that he's responsible for the safety of asia but never really thought of her in a romantic way or something like that.
it happened at the end of volume 23
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
George S. Patton
A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding.
Douglas MacArthur
Any more WW2 generals I should quote?
Apr 11, 2018 6:39 AM

Dec 2014
yep animation styled bugged be but so far a good episode
Apr 11, 2018 6:43 AM
May 2015
The new animation is Good. I like it. I do not understand on people who hatin this.
Apr 11, 2018 7:42 AM
Sep 2017
khaizer91 said:
The new animation is Good. I like it. I do not understand on people who hatin this.
Ikr?
The animation looks great and the voice acting wasn't bad
Pretty good start
Apr 11, 2018 7:44 AM
Apr 2018
fk those people who hatin this. it's faithful to its source and you still want that fck up clustersht non canon ending in Born.
Apr 11, 2018 8:07 AM
Jan 2018
dfgrty92 said:
fk those people who hatin this. it's faithful to its source and you still want that fck up clustersht non canon ending in Born.

ive also read people moaning that the vali fight wasnt long enough ......im like what are they watching it wasnt even meant to be a fight all vali was meant to do is contain issei power and get close to him to use divine dividing to stop his aura so rias can go to him. plus this episode basically fixs and gets rid of the curse from BorN and does the smart thing and basically wipes the last 3 episodes of BorN ..
Apr 11, 2018 8:10 AM
Jan 2016
This is my prediction for the future of Highschool DxD as an anime. (Or should I say what I would like to see happen.)

1) This season will closely follow volume 9 and 10 of the light novels which is great.
2) This episode was a quick fix for the issue that born created for continuity.
3) I can image at the end of this season them announcing season 5 which will cover volume 11 and 12.
4) If both season go well, I can see them completely redoing born from scratch. So have a longer season of like 18 episodes covering volumes 5, 6 and 7.
5) After that season 6 of course (However I might be hoping for a little too much here.)

Step 3 and step 4 may happen the other way around.
Apr 11, 2018 8:26 AM
Feb 2017
Blackraven6 said:
It is so horible. So I was waiting all this years to get a reimagined end of a third season with pathetic drawing? What monkey made this? Do they change illustrators!? It's almost the first time I really hate a new season of favourite anime. =_=
Hope Passione will get bankrupt and I will feel good again. Pls, god ^_^

They changed from TNK to Passione for good reason as they messed up the third season that didn't follow the authors light novel volumes. Also i'd say the drawing was kind of outdated.
Apr 11, 2018 8:31 AM
Feb 2018
I saw episode 0, the recap episode.. really badly translated. Since it's almost an identical scene-for-scene of episode 9 of the last series, why not reuse *those* subs?

Episode 1 is delayed until Wednesday... so we're getting a new episode today right? As in episode 1, an entirely new episode, not episode 0 (but with better subs)?
Apr 11, 2018 8:37 AM

Apr 2008
Heiach said:
I saw episode 0, the recap episode.. really badly translated. Since it's almost an identical scene-for-scene of episode 9 of the last series, why not reuse *those* subs?

Episode 1 is delayed until Wednesday... so we're getting a new episode today right? As in episode 1, an entirely new episode, not episode 0 (but with better subs)?

It's not that identical though since it concludes differently
Apr 11, 2018 8:39 AM
Jan 2018
Heiach said:

nope today is episode 0 . next Tuesday will be episode 1
Apr 11, 2018 9:00 AM
Feb 2018
Mattinator95 said:
Heiach said:

nope today is episode 0 . next Tuesday will be episode 1

I'm confused then.. why say it was delayed until today when we got it yesterday.. ie on time?
Apr 11, 2018 9:01 AM
Feb 2018
Darklight0303 said:
Heiach said:

Well yes, but they can use 90% of the subs from ep 9 is what I mean.
Apr 11, 2018 9:04 AM

Apr 2008
Heiach said:
Darklight0303 said:

Well yes, but they can use 90% of the subs from ep 9 is what I mean.

That's fair but the kicker is those subs are not even official. The episode itself is not even officially out in the west yet it was just a random fan who subbed them :P
Apr 11, 2018 9:22 AM

Jul 2015
OPPAI DRAGON ! xDD
Apr 11, 2018 9:39 AM

May 2013
'Production delays' imply someone on the Japanese side fucked up and screwed Crunchyroll in the process. Wonder who fucked up lmao

Anyway when it releases I'mma be watching this subbed on Crunchyroll and dubbed on Funimation even if it's censored just so I can support the show and the western release. I'll just go and download the uncensored version later and look at the scenes that got altered.
PantsuAndButtsApr 11, 2018 9:42 AM
Apr 11, 2018 9:42 AM
Sep 2014
I'd say they did a pretty good job with this episode. Fixing the story by using the new art on an episode we are familiar with. 9/10.
Apr 11, 2018 10:00 AM

Jul 2014
That Oppai Dragon song was hilarious xD, but even so, episode 9 of Born is still one of my favorites episodes of the whole series, mainly for two scenes:

-The first is when Issei loses his mind with the disappearance of Asia, his reaction in Born is more painful, when the others see this they also break and the attempted attack of Xenovia adds more feeling to the scene. Here in Hero they summarized that part and lost the impact.

-The second is when Asia wakes up, in Born the camera focuses only on Xenovia and Asia making the moment more intimate and touching. In Hero, focus on the whole group and that moment is lost in the corner of the screen.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to the return of this series, very excited about what's coming.
Apr 11, 2018 11:16 AM

Jan 2011
Kinda a meh episodes and not enough of Rias' chest. The animation is ok I guess not losing much relative to the former.
Apr 11, 2018 11:16 AM

Mar 2010
they have cartoonized the girls, it is bad, the sexy Rias and Akeno are now just another two moe characters, But even there Asia is not as cute as the original version.

I see they are also overwriting the end of "Born", with a phatetic vercion.
Apr 11, 2018 11:30 AM

Apr 2008
LF2005 said:
they have cartoonized the girls, it is bad, the sexy Rias and Akeno are now just another two moe characters, But even there Asia is not as cute as the original version.

I see they are also overwriting the end of "Born", with a phatetic vercion.

True version. Born was a horrible fanfiction which horribly compromised later events in the story.
Apr 11, 2018 12:24 PM

Oct 2015
I HATE The new Characters design! it sux
Apr 11, 2018 12:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Glad to see that they retconned the weird direction that Born took. Let's stick more to the source.

The art style makes the girls look different from previous seasons, but we'll get used to it soon enough I guess.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 11, 2018 12:57 PM

Mar 2016
[(...) Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai (...)]

A little bit of rectonning in the beggining; I don't mind.
That song was ridiculous... (Oppai, Oppai, Oppai, Oppai, Oppai, Oppai... AHAHAHA)
Oppai Dragon and Switch Princess? AHAHAHAHA; I haven't watch a first episode that was so funny in a while!
Asia's confession was cool. About time she get confidence in herself!

I also thought I would take a while to get used to this new art style but I actually didn't care that much.

Overall: 7/10
Apr 11, 2018 1:07 PM

Jun 2016
I loved this episode for 2 reasons.

1. Oppai Dragon
&
2. The guy who got both of his arms torn off was utterly priceless!!!!
Apr 11, 2018 1:10 PM

Apr 2008
skyhei1995 said:

1. Oppai Dragon
&

Yep seeing Shalba get mangled to pieces like that was just as satisfying as when I read him getting ripped to pieces by savage Juggernaut Drive Issei
Apr 11, 2018 1:20 PM
Apr 2016
Character design was eh, but that's only because I was used to the first 3 seasons. I'll get used to it
People, you just don't know how much BoRN's filler affected the story, fuck the previous staff for trying to force that bullshit instead of this gold. It got so bad that Ishibumi had to waste his time with a fucking sidestory to retcon it out of existence.
THIS was the DxD I read, the entire ridiculousness of it all was fun. Issei's powers are powered by boobs, and can be stopped by boobs. The episode did feel a bit rushed though, but thats just another of BoRN's crimes with the stupid shit it pulled. I loved the oppai dragon song too. Very fun episode, 8.5/10 for me

Apr 11, 2018 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
idk to be honest ive been wainting for this since born finished airing and i am very disappointed
Apr 11, 2018 1:28 PM

Jun 2016
Darklight0303 said:
skyhei1995 said:

1. Oppai Dragon
&

Yep seeing Shalba get mangled to pieces like that was just as satisfying as when I read him getting ripped to pieces by savage Juggernaut Drive Issei

Thanks! I didn't remember his name. I am glad that the creators are taking the time to fix the mistakes that born created, and it was just refreshing to have more DxD.
Apr 11, 2018 1:33 PM

Apr 2008
kajquo said:
idk to be honest ive been wainting for this since born finished airing and i am very disappointed

This was never going to follow the abhorrent fanfiction that was the BorN Ending
Apr 11, 2018 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Darklight0303 said:
kajquo said:

This was never going to follow the abhorrent fanfiction that was the BorN Ending

i was never interested with the novels or any discussions connected with the series so i really didnt see it coming
Apr 11, 2018 1:36 PM

Apr 2008
kajquo said:
Darklight0303 said:

i was never interested with the novels or any discussions connected with the series so i really didnt see it coming

I recommend reading the first post in this thread for context

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1720577
Apr 11, 2018 1:37 PM
Aug 2014
Yay DxD is back again! :D

I like that they're adapting the lns again because the last episodes of BoRN were just odd

The new artstyle is ok, but I still prefer the old artstyle since it shows more detail in the character's facial expressions and they look sharper overall.

It seems the new studio took some corners with the animation, for example not focussing on the character that is actually talking and some other perspective choices (like when Issei pokes Rias' nibs, I expected to see her facial expression). But the new animation looks cleaner and more fluid I guess.

Decent episode overall, let the oppai dragon soar :D
Apr 11, 2018 1:39 PM

Jul 2014
Weebston said:
Dude how in the world did you manage to watch the episode before it has finished airing in Japan?

It's already available on Kiss. They work so fast. :)
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Apr 11, 2018 2:00 PM
Apr 2018
WHAT THE FUDGE have they done to the fight scene?! the recap episode and episode 9's fight scenes are completely different! and the way vali and rias worked together to restore issei are also completely different! WTF!!!!
Apr 11, 2018 2:04 PM

Jan 2014
oh god, seeing the new Artsyle in the episode in motion makes me sad....

Wish we had TNK doing this anime still

I mean...the art is not bad, its just that it's too cutesy and moe. It doesn't give off a sexy appeal like the original had

I never thought I would see the day where I'm not looking forward to more DXD *Sigh* well I guess this season is a good filler for when I'm bored.
Apr 11, 2018 2:04 PM

Apr 2008
alphanite said:
WHAT THE FUDGE have they done to the fight scene?! the recap episode and episode 9's fight scenes are completely different! and the way vali and rias worked together to restore issei are also completely different! WTF!!!!

This is how it was supposed to be. BorN went so far off the rails it ended in a paralel galaxy
Apr 11, 2018 2:05 PM

Apr 2008
DoctorWasabi said:
oh god, seeing the new Artsyle in the episode in motion makes me sad....

Wish we had TNK doing this anime still

I mean...the art is not bad, its just that it's too cutesy and moe. It doesn't give off a sexy appeal like the original had

I never thought I would see the day where I'm not looking forward to more DXD *Sigh* well I guess this season is a good filler for when I'm bored.

TNK had crappy stilted animation I don't know how you can think they were doing better
Apr 11, 2018 2:09 PM
Mar 2013
Sumary is new look, no more that appealing smothles charcters, more like cute anime. The fealing is gone now in this episode, the atraction is at minim.

P.S The cartonn adult video fealing with no atraction

We see on rest of episodes. Don't R.I.P the anime
RathesungodApr 11, 2018 2:25 PM
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» High school Dxd Drinking game.

GrimAtrament - May 1, 2018

4 by Jamester_UWU »»
Aug 1, 2022 11:39 PM

» Since this retcons the last 4 episodes of season 3 should i just skip the last 4

Omnitrix10 - Apr 17, 2018

4 by ChartTopper60 »»
Mar 20, 2021 8:19 AM

» Difference between Borns Ending (last 3 episodes) and this episode?

-_Removed_- - Apr 14, 2018

3 by TheDeadWalk »»
Feb 7, 2020 8:10 PM

» What is this? ( 1 2 )

begija - Apr 12, 2018

52 by GrimAtrament »»
May 1, 2018 4:16 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero: Taiikukan-ura no Holy Episode 1 Discussion

joe_g7 - Apr 12, 2018

27 by julyan »»
Apr 13, 2018 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.