Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 10, 2018 6:46 AM

Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode.

Really liked Wang, hope to see more of him in the series. I loved how he found a strategy to survive even though his fleet was at a huge disadvantage. Reinhard was pretty smart in responding to Wang's countermeasure as well.

I find it kinda ironic that the Vide Admiral of the alliance after being injured tells Wang that the fleet needs his skill as a tactician and yet he refused to listen to all of Wang's advice until that moment.

I really liked the fact that Reinhard sent Wang a message of respect after their battle.

There's a post credit scene as well depicting Reinhard's promotion.
Apr 10, 2018 6:48 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Gonna say, they continue to have an epic scale in the space battles, pretty cool to look at.

Yang was able to withstand from an inferior position due to his mindset of not necessarily wanting to win and made it a stalemate.
Apr 10, 2018 6:50 AM

Feb 2014
I was legit surprised when the episode credits came thinking I was only about half way through. Damn those 25 minutes went by fast. Very entertaining.
Apr 10, 2018 7:04 AM
Mar 2018
It had a faster pace than the original, but it was still enjoyable
Apr 10, 2018 7:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The opening reminds me of an old 80's song by Starship, "Nothing's Gonna Stop us Now"

As a novel reader and long time fan of the OVA, I must say I'm quite enjoying this and hope to encourage old school viewers to come at this with an open mind. This adaptation is respectful of the source material and they're doing an ok with the characterizations. The battles (once you get used to the cheap CGI) benefit from the new dynamism that modern animation can provide and while the music can not match the classical score, it's still suitable and non distracting. No over the top dubstep or vocal tracks during the show.

Look forward to seeing and hearing some of the other characters now.
FarabeufApr 10, 2018 7:35 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 10, 2018 7:09 AM
Apr 2018
Lelouch0202 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode.

Really liked Wang, hope to see more of him in the series. I loved how he found a strategy to survive even though his fleet was at a huge disadvantage. Reinhard was pretty smart in responding to Wang's countermeasure as well.

I find it kinda ironic that the Vide Admiral of the alliance after being injured tells Wang that the fleet needs his skill as a tactician and yet he refused to listen to all of Wang's advice until that moment.

I really liked the fact that Reinhard sent Wang a message of respect after their battle.

There's a post credit scene as well depicting Reinhard's promotion.

Think of Paetta as a kind man that doesn't want to abandon his comrades, Yang's strategy was to abandon the 4th fleet and Paetta doesn't want that then when he knew that the other fleet is destroyed he knew Yang has a way out of that.
Apr 10, 2018 7:10 AM

Mar 2016
War and politics are two genres that I really like in anime, so I'm enjoying this series so far.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 10, 2018 7:14 AM

Sep 2015
This is definitely already showing a quality I really love, but only few anime have, that is to say having two opposing sides and not trying to paint either of them as the 'wrong' or 'evil' side, instead having two sides that both just want to do what they consider the correct course of action to be.

Also, we seem to now finally get a some context for this battle with the next episodes... I personally would've much preferred to FIRST get the context and THEN have the battle, since I still hate in-medias-res openers, but as long as they properly explain things, I suppose I can't give them too much shit for it.

Did Mr.DeathFlag on Yang's side die or not? He wasn't brought up again, but considering the massive death-flag he randomly pulled, I can't help but be interested, lol.
Apr 10, 2018 7:18 AM

Dec 2015
Liked it. So they showed stuff that happened the same time as episode 1 instead of omitting it. About in the mid of the episode they were near the end of episode 1 I think and episode 1 was a bit faster there until Reinhard realized that the enemy had a plan while we got to see more of it from the alliance point of view.

Also some chars shown with their names (Fischer and the guy that survived and was lucky in the past).

After the ending we saw some other chars in the palace. (Mittermeyer and Reuenthal I think. And some of those older guys ... I think Mückenberger and the others ... there were 3 of them with some kind of special position at top of the military I think.)

I guess Trunicht will get 1st screentime next episode? We also heard about Jessica and Yang calling Lap (or Laap or Lapp) by his first name to hint their friendship.

Also I noticed: Ending picture moved in the opposite direction (starting at Yang -> Reinhard) this time.
Apr 10, 2018 7:20 AM
Nov 2014
The whole episode felt like 5 minutes, which is a good thing btw.

Seem like a faithful adaptation of the novel. Though they are leaving out small things here and there. A thing that I think the novel has over this adaptation is that characters don't seem as hollow/vapid. This seems more about the plot then then characters, the novels handed both these well imo.

Apr 10, 2018 7:26 AM

Jul 2017
Great episode.

I'm thrilled to see one of my favorite characters of all time, Yang Wen-li, back in action. He is such an interesting character to witness and his attitude really makes him feel unique in this show.

This is not just some battle shounen where fights go forever and the actual tactics are useless. This is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. And the tactics used to outwit and defeat their oppositions is great to see.

Also the music improved for me this episode with some of it coming closer to the original style.

9/10 episode for me.

I'm still worried about what they can achieve in 12 episodes but so far, I'm enjoying the ride.
Apr 10, 2018 7:29 AM

Sep 2013
Nice episode. I liked how they portrayed the battle with the use of CGI, gives the show another dimension and something a bit different than what the original OVA could offer. Yang's new voice will take some getting used to, but otherwise everything was quite nice.
Apr 10, 2018 7:32 AM

Dec 2015
Also to mention: I just checked episode 1 and episode 2 at the end where it shows the name of the following episode. There is an alliance logo in 1->2 and the empire logo in 2->3. Meaning the next episode might have more focus on the empire again.

And ending starting from the left (Reinhard) to move towards the right.
Apr 10, 2018 7:49 AM

Feb 2013
Yang outwitted Reinhard, cool.
That message was nice, respect is a good thing.
Apr 10, 2018 7:53 AM
Apr 2016
10/10 episode, cant see why its rated so low on MAL, so far its faithful to the original source. Hope to see more of it, i mean 12 episodes + 3 movies in 2 years? I expected atleast 25 episodes this year, still i am ok with what we are getting (not really)!
Apr 10, 2018 7:59 AM

Feb 2010
RyuuSasakura12 said:

Think of Paetta as a kind man that doesn't want to abandon his comrades, Yang's strategy was to abandon the 4th fleet and Paetta doesn't want that then when he knew that the other fleet is destroyed he knew Yang has a way out of that.

I wouldn't say that. He outright rejected the first proposal of "not losing" by Yang. Refusing to abandon the 4th fleet is because he couldn't accept the fact he was wrong. Yang prepared counterstrategies right after that to avoid the worst case scenario of losing all the fleets. He is the one who didn't want to abandon any fleet.
Apr 10, 2018 7:59 AM

Jul 2015
It seems the plan is to cut the time needed to make a full adaptation. Reinhard promotion to fleet admiral was done in a minute. I'm not sure how it will affect characterization in the long run.

Let's see the later episodes. If they cut out
I will be certain that characterization will take a hit.

For this episode I will give 5/5.

Apr 10, 2018 8:16 AM

Dec 2013
Great episode. Yang did a decent job trying to turn things around.

The battle was going in circles lol
Apr 10, 2018 8:24 AM
Navel-Gazer

Jun 2015
I'm relieved the subs fixed that translation error from the 1st episode (you know, the one in Yang's speech to the Alliance fleet, where he apparently thought that telling struggling soldiers "I will not lose" rather than "we will not lose" was a good idea); I've seen some people holding it up as "proof" that this adaptation got his personality all wrong and is thus terrible, so it's nice to have that cleared up. Of course, DNT might still turn out to be bad, but we haven't seen anything truly atrocious yet and some things are even better here than in the OVA (I especially loved the treatment they gave Lapp this time around). I'm optimistic.

Also, it was nice to see Oskar & Mitts in the post-credits scene. They weren't named, they didn't say anything, they didn't even move, but it still made me happy.
"I stocked this for our last meal. So let's enjoy white rice tonight. But not all of it. We still have tomorrow and the day after that." ~Houjou San

"Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy." ~Ikari Yui

"Life is suffering and pain. The world is cursed, its people are cursed, and yet we still wish to live." ~Osa
Apr 10, 2018 8:29 AM

Sep 2016
This anime is so good, I don't know why elitist oldfags are hating this remake. I got so bored watching the old OVA, but this is just exciting to watch.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 10, 2018 8:34 AM

Jul 2015
Its seems like this battle had a mixture of My Conqyest is the Sea of Starts material, which is a interesting choice to do

Looks like Reingard is getting the focus again next episode also
Sup...
Apr 10, 2018 8:37 AM

Nov 2016
Liked the first episode,but wow this was even better,I haven't seen the original,but Production I.G is doing a great job at making this entertaining.

Nice move from Reinhard at the end,looking forward to their next duel.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2018 8:38 AM

Jun 2008
tbh this was way more memorable than the old version, although I've watched it several years ago(on hold now) and don't remember a single thing about it
Apr 10, 2018 8:52 AM

Sep 2014
The battle was done pretty well. Yang Wen-Li managed to turn the battle into a stalemate after the poor strategic tactic and arrogance of his commander who turned the FPA's numerical advantage into dust. Despite the stalemate though, the Empire had less cassualties overall. I liked the message Reinhard send to Yang showing his respect on the battlefield. A rivalry begins. Pretty good adaptation thus far.
MonkeyDHunterApr 10, 2018 9:09 AM
Apr 10, 2018 9:16 AM

Jun 2015
Yang was quite impressive in this episode. He managed to end the battle into a stalemate. They were going around in circles lol. Looking forward to see more of what he can do. I liked the message Reinhard send to Yang. He got a promotion at the end.
Apr 10, 2018 9:18 AM

Jul 2010
The battles in this are good but the music is kinda annoyingly repetetive and feels uninspired, more so in battles cuz outside battles it's fine and even though while I'm not a fan of Yang's new younger desgin I have to say his new VA is spot on.
Apr 10, 2018 9:30 AM

Sep 2017
Decent episode I suppose, always like some Yang strategics. Seems faithful but they are just cutting a lot for the sake of time which is understandable.
Apr 10, 2018 9:47 AM

Mar 2016
Well, it's still less of a mess than the OVA version (not much of a challenge as far as this battle is concerned, I know). The remake was somewhat better than this, though.

I wouldn't pass judgment on this adaptation until at least episode 5.
Apr 10, 2018 9:49 AM

Jan 2016
Didn't expect this, episode 2 is much more better than episode 1. I didn't find a single Qwality moment here. Thanks to the ships CGI, animator could work on character detail really well. The ost and battle is pretty nice.
Apr 10, 2018 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
you're late to the party XD
https://streamable.com/s4b0f

Farabeuf said:
The opening reminds me of an old 80's song by Starship, "Nothing's Gonna Stop us Now"

As a novel reader and long time fan of the OVA, I must say I'm quite enjoying this and hope to encourage old school viewers to come at this with an open mind. This adaptation is respectful of the source material and they're doing an ok with the characterizations. The battles (once you get used to the cheap CGI) benefit from the new dynamism that modern animation can provide and while the music can not match the classical score, it's still suitable and non distracting. No over the top dubstep or vocal tracks during the show.

Apr 10, 2018 10:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
cunninglinguist said:
you're late to the party XD
https://streamable.com/s4b0f

Farabeuf said:

Ha,ha,ha, RFLMAO...love it...Better late to the party than never.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 10, 2018 10:15 AM

Jan 2015
Why did they replace Dusty with Lao?
Apr 10, 2018 10:21 AM
Navel-Gazer

Jun 2015
Zura_Orokamono said:

Because they're doing a more faithful adaptation of the novels. Apparently, Dusty doesn't appear until much later in them, so...
"I stocked this for our last meal. So let's enjoy white rice tonight. But not all of it. We still have tomorrow and the day after that." ~Houjou San

"Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy." ~Ikari Yui

"Life is suffering and pain. The world is cursed, its people are cursed, and yet we still wish to live." ~Osa
Apr 10, 2018 10:29 AM
Apr 2016
This was the most busai space battle I have ever seen. Staying tuned.
Re:formed
Apr 10, 2018 10:30 AM

Jun 2015
Ahh, this went by so fast (that is a good thing btw).
You can't describe all the tons of space ships moving with nothing other than the word "epic". Gotta say, I really like Yang who was able to predict the outcome of the battle ahead of the time. Looks like he has already built up his reputation a bit beforehand. I find it funny that they brought the battle into a stalemate by going around in circles, lol. Kircheis is right: It really does look like a silly formation.

Looking forward to episode 3!
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Apr 10, 2018 10:31 AM

Sep 2009
Not bad. I like Yang's voice actor - he nails his lackadaisical demeanor perfectly. Not a fan of his character design, which is a little too bland (although I do get that they were going for "unassuming" here, Yang manages that in the original whilst still having a distinctive appearance). It did a good job of establishing his personality and ability.

It also gave a little more justification for the FPA's incompetence in the first episode, making some of their poor tactical decisions the product of misplaced noble intentions instead of pure idiocy. The novel goes into more detail about the mindset of the FPA captains that lead to their complacency, and with that being left out the other two fleets still seem idiotic for falling into Reinhard's ploy, but it's still an improvement. Not sure how it compares to the original anime, I don't really remember how The Battle of Astarte played out there since it's been about 7 years since I saw that.

Good use of music as well here, it lent to the increasing sense of tension as Yang executed his plan. It seems to know where to show restraint and where to be all-out bombastic, which I'm pleased about since the presence of both Miyano and Sawano made me expect full-on pomp for the entire duration.

Disappointed by the character designs for Reuenthal and Mittermeier as seen in the post-credits, though. Mittermeier's is just bland, whereas Reuenthal's hair is godawful. I also still dislike how dull Kircheis seems in this version, not really standing out from Reinhard (hell, he almost looks like a pallet-swap of him) whereas in the original he had more of a dynamic with him and they showed clearly distinct personalities.

Nonetheless, still pleasantly surprised by how passable this adaptation is.

Also,

Anutos said:
Zura_Orokamono said:

Because they're doing a more faithful adaptation of the novels. Apparently, Dusty doesn't appear until much later in them, so...
Yeah, many of Dusty's earlier appearances were anime-original. Shame, he's one of my favourite characters in the OVA series.
LindleApr 10, 2018 10:36 AM
Apr 10, 2018 10:39 AM

Jan 2015
Anutos said:

Signifie said:

From what I've heard Dusty wasn't on the ship in the novel and doesn't show up until the third book.

Thanks for clarifying! Too bad though, he was a better presence.
Apr 10, 2018 11:52 AM

Mar 2012
Incredible episode, in my opinion.
Apr 10, 2018 12:02 PM

Nov 2010
I noticed that in this adaptation they're avoiding showing an actual people being killed (they showed people after they have dead). One thing that slightly bother me as well is that the command center (?) feels pretty empty. I don't think it was supposed to be this empty in the original.

The rest are pretty decent though, adaptation wise. We're still going to go through the adaptation of mediocre first quarter of story until we will get into the great stuffs (tm)
Apr 10, 2018 12:23 PM

Feb 2010
I really think this should have been a double episode. Separating the perspectives was never going to work fully, and here they had various scenes that were shared again.

On the pacing, I don't think it was bad, but it is very noticeable that due to the way they cut this opening arc up, they managed to get less in the same time as the original OVA (No Phezzan whatsoever, Jessica, no scenic death for Jean, no graveyard scene, nothing with Annerose....). A lot of things that are missing right here make me think that they may be ommitted altogether in this adaptation, and the work will be worse off for it.

Seeing how they addressed Reinhard's promotion after the ED, I'm already worried about missing out on the court intrigue elements that went hand in hand with it. If they don't expand on that in episode 3, and have Friedrich IV talk to Reinhard directly, I'll be sorely disappointed. Thankfully the title teaser for episode 3 makes it clear we'll focus again on the empire/Reinhard, but that makes the death of Jean and the devastation of Jessica both less likely to happen and less impactful yet again...

The novels have, from the start, been hopping perspectives between the three main powers (FPA, Galactic Empire and Phezzan), going back and forth as the unfolding events required it. I don't think handling any of them in isolation for entire episodes is a good idea, and it'll crumble down the further in we get here.

I like that they added the on-screen names for characters (though the subs were poorly chosen for those, too small by far and the grey made them rough to read), and having Lao in there was a good choice, though I can't say I disliked that the OVA changed it to Dusty. I do wish that they had focused less on making a visually bombastic space battle and more on the strategic overview, though.
Apr 10, 2018 2:00 PM

Feb 2017
We got Yang's perspective this time. He is such a good character, I love him. Great episode, it went by so fast and I had goosebumps throughout the whole battle. Seems we'll have Galactic Empire focused episode next week.
Apr 10, 2018 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
25 minute went too fast and enjoyed this episode much more than the last one and gave me some thoughts about if this remake can reach the level of the original show.. It's always nice to watch Yang's character but they didn't fully showed his personalities yet (which the first movie did showed or was it actually original content?). I like his voice much better than Reinherd. Have to admit Reinherd entrance looks cool at the end scene.

Apr 10, 2018 2:33 PM

Sep 2007
I'm pleasantly surprised. I was expecting them to royally screw up the adaptation since they revealed the character designs, but this is actually really good. I think I liked these two episodes even more than the original version of this battle (though not as much as the movie that compacted it a little).
Apr 10, 2018 3:18 PM
Aug 2015
It was a great, Yang wenli returns again
But Lapp death scene wasn't existed and that make me abuse
Apr 10, 2018 3:58 PM
Apr 2018
I have to say after i was still a little bit curious when i was finished with the first episode im now pretty sure that the anime will not be the disaster the og community thougt it will be(me included) these remaing doughts after the first episode for example the intro(the og intro was just THE BEST), the characters of course especially yang and reinhard...and especially the cgi are now except the intro mostly history i think that in todays anime environment there is just less time for all the talking that we had in the og series and they changed the appereance of both character to fit this new requirements regarding the cgi i think it was just too present in the trailer...im still not a fan of it but i think that production ig(since it one of the most up to date studios out there regarding animation) just had to use cgi in this anime to attract younger folks that mostly wouldnt watch the og because of it style and like those fancy spacebattles...all in all im looking forward to the new episode at the end i want to share a good anime that the og fans maybe like not because of setting but because of story -hyouge mono-

li zhi
li_zhiApr 13, 2018 4:47 PM
Apr 10, 2018 6:25 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Can't wait to see those 2 fight again.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 10, 2018 6:30 PM

Oct 2008
The animation in this battle was perfect! So much fun to watch! I'm really loving the remake so far. Seems I got the original for the amazing story and the remake for the awesome animation! This is a win situation for me. :)

Also, I can't stop laughing at the scene when Reinhard yells "What a stupid looking formation!". I find the moment very amusing.
Apr 10, 2018 6:30 PM

Sep 2010
This episode was better than that last I guess its because Yang Wenli is the best character in the series. I have to say seeing him walk and talk his character design is not half bad although I prefer his OVA look more. I feel like if it keeps this up it will be almost as good as the original OVA series.

I like how in this weeks ending it started with Yang and ended with Reinhard.

Next week we should be seeing Annerose and tbh I prefer how her character designs are in this reboot compared to the OVA.

uping my score from a 5 to a 6 for now. Steadily improving...
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Apr 10, 2018 6:47 PM
Jan 2017
It was pretty good episode, however it was seriously hampred by the lack of Dusty Attemborough, and him being replaced by lao was a bit depressing. that and how the rivalry reindhart and yang had developed before hand isn't there a bit is, a bit disapointing, but doesn't overly effect things.

But nostalgia aside it'd say it's a decent episode
Apr 10, 2018 6:56 PM

Jun 2008
I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying this series. Episode 2 was stronger than the first, mostly due to their excellent portrayal of Yang. It was also visually beautiful looking. My only issue is pacing. I don’t want them to rush through important events which help develop characters and motivate future behavior. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a show very much about slowly building up events to an epic conclusion.
Gundam_SageApr 10, 2018 6:59 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.