Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 11, 2018 12:59 PM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DodgeOffset said:
majority of the people on the planet are for women.
Not really sure what you mean by this.
DodgeOffset said:
It's a buzzword, if someone asks you what your stance on women are, you better tread lightly.
If someone asks me this question, my guess is that they're asking a poorly-worded question, likely trying to gauge a political position, but I'd just ask them what the heck they mean, since the question as asked is extremely vague and broad.

(Meanwhile I think someone else would take advantage of the situation to make a sexual pun.)

DodgeOffset said:
Saying you are one, might imply that "yeah, woman are important"... or "woman shouldn't let a man hold the damn door open for them, they can open it for themselves, thanks."
Do you mean "saying you are a woman" or "saying you are a feminist"? I'm guessing you mean the latter, despite the odd placement (it read like you meant the former and I was like "wut?").

I think some people just use it as a self-label for a variety of philosphical/ideological/political positions, some of which have changed over time, even -- as @Zakuen pointed out, there's been at least three generations of feminist movements (and looking it up on Wikipedia suggests that there's a fourth), each with different issue emphases.

(As for myself, if you asked me if I'm a feminist I'd just say "I never really thought of that label, but I don't use it, so no, I guess".)

DodgeOffset said:
And what do you mean poor writing vs espousal of ideology?
It's a somewhat common claim that "feminists"/"SJWs"/etc. cause shows to be worse because they force female/racial-minority/LGBTQ/etc. characters into things. It's strange when I see anime fans claiming this, since a number of anime series demonstrate excellent storytelling and feature female protagonists. (Less commonly, LGBTQ, though one can argue over whether a particular lesbian protag is pandering to male tastes or an actual good-faith attempt at portraying a lesbian. Real-life racial minorities, though, are generally absent, mostly because Japan itself is racially homogenous, though discrimination/racism themes do occasionally show up, especially in fantasy/sci-fi form.) My point is, if you want to tell a good story, it's possible to do it no matter the demographics of your characters, so people shouldn't blame demographics diversity (or lack thereof, for that matter) for a story sucking.

Odd that you would tell me not to mistake poor writing for that. That's some pretty obvious stuff you're pointing out. Don't know where the people who make these common claims are.
Apr 11, 2018 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
Just because in those shows in their lineup have good female characters, doesn't mean that they're a feminist studio.

By that logic any studio that does mostly well-written males are considered a misogynistic studio.

Or any studio that draws mostly moeshit slice of life would be considered as pedos.

It makes no sense.
Apr 11, 2018 2:32 PM

May 2009
DodgeOffset said:
Don't know where the people who make these common claims are.
This was a recent thread.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1717814&show=0

Here's a post in that thread that mentions it even more specifically: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1717814&show=50#msg54774715
And I had a long conversation starting on page 7 with this one person who insisted that The Last Jedi is some sort of SJW/feminist/anti-capitalist screed and sucks because of it.

Here's a post in another thread. The thread's OP itself arguably implies this but doesn't say it explicitly, so I went with highlighting a specific post instead.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1693662&show=0#msg53425363
GlennMagusHarveyApr 11, 2018 3:08 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 11, 2018 2:36 PM

Apr 2016
Its Netflix after all, so go figure.
Apr 12, 2018 7:17 AM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DodgeOffset said:
Don't know where the people who make these common claims are.

Here's a post in that thread that mentions it even more specifically: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1717814&show=50#msg54774715
And I had a long conversation starting on page 7 with this one person who insisted that The Last Jedi is some sort of SJW/feminist/anti-capitalist screed and sucks because of it.

Here's a post in another thread. The thread's OP itself arguably implies this but doesn't say it explicitly, so I went with highlighting a specific post instead.

I wouldn't call TLJ bad because of SJW but tbf Holdo was pretty damn suspicious. The movie was bad because it was just retarded as a whole. A lot more can be said for that than for whatever SJW agenda there is in the movie. Like maybe Rey has to do with feminism? But my main problem lies with how she's just brute forcing her way through everything thanks to "tehforce." So yeah, wouldn't say it's SJWs that ruined TLJ.
Apr 12, 2018 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed all of Production IG’s anime works over the years!

I’ve never once thought of them as being feminist for an anime studio!
Apr 12, 2018 8:13 AM

Jan 2018
Gaiga said:
While going through anime made by production IG, I noticed how many of their anime either empowering to women or cater to female fans
E.g.
Best known anime from the studio are Ghost in the shell, psycho pass and attack on titan, all of which are known for their strong female characters. Others include anime like seirei no moribito
The studio has adapted many manga with strong female fanbase like haikyuu and kuroko no basket
It has adapted many shoujo and josei manga like Kimi no todoke, usagi drop and ao haru ride

What do you guys think?

The most feminist studio is actually Studio Ghibli (Nausicaa, Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, etc)

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 12, 2018 9:36 AM

May 2009
DodgeOffset said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I wouldn't call TLJ bad because of SJW but tbf Holdo was pretty damn suspicious. The movie was bad because it was just retarded as a whole. A lot more can be said for that than for whatever SJW agenda there is in the movie. Like maybe Rey has to do with feminism? But my main problem lies with how she's just brute forcing her way through everything thanks to "tehforce." So yeah, wouldn't say it's SJWs that ruined TLJ.
Fair enough.

I find it ironic that anti-feminists point to Holdo as evidence of feminists forcing female dominance. Because you could maybe make that argument in-universe, but not out of universe, because she's actually not that great of a leader, and specifically somewhat of a poor communicator. To argue that she's forced feminism gone wrong, you'd have to argue that the writers put her in charge but then also argue that they couldn't see that she'd screw things up...which is clearly not the case, because the writers decided that too.

Overall I found the movie rather interesting. It was certainly not meant to be gratifying (in the sense of having the good guys win a lot). Rather, it seemed to lay the groundwork for many story threads, while continuing or wrapping up other threads.
Apr 12, 2018 9:38 AM

Aug 2010
They made a lot of anime, and they just happened to make some with strong female characters (just like pierrot)
Apr 12, 2018 9:43 AM

Dec 2016

SNK is an excellent example of a feminist anime.
Apr 12, 2018 9:50 AM

Mar 2014
Production I.G. is one of the better studios but

>Shitneki no Kyojin
>Feminist
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 12, 2018 10:40 AM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DodgeOffset said:

Fair enough.

I find it ironic that anti-feminists point to Holdo as evidence of feminists forcing female dominance. Because you could maybe make that argument in-universe, but not out of universe, because she's actually not that great of a leader, and specifically somewhat of a poor communicator. To argue that she's forced feminism gone wrong, you'd have to argue that the writers put her in charge but then also argue that they couldn't see that she'd screw things up...which is clearly not the case, because the writers decided that too.

Overall I found the movie rather interesting. It was certainly not meant to be gratifying (in the sense of having the good guys win a lot). Rather, it seemed to lay the groundwork for many story threads, while continuing or wrapping up other threads.

There is one thing you need to remember, and that is that Kathy Kennedy bought SW, so she can push an envelope as much as she wants. Rose Tico's pointless rushed romance, and conflicting uhm idkwhat dialogue in the movie. Yes, Holdo wasn't at all a great leader, but if you remember the scenes with Poe, the movie literally treats him like the guy in the wrong in the points of contention he raises, Leia blasts him as well. The movie itself paints him in a negative light, and it's pretty clear. And for some reason both Leia and Holdo keep the "secret" from the crew, why? Don't make no sense. They have to find a base, yet they are already on route to the base they need to "find". whut.
- Leia does a weird superman force thing while out in space. ??? How is this consistent with anything?
-She enters the other spaceship through the open space hatch while its still wide open, and finn and co just let her in, no prob. shrug shrug. That's not how space works. They should all be dead.
eh, I mean, we can overlook this, if you want to.
- Also like the whole training thing with Kylo that was mentioned at the end of VII... none of it in VIII. I guess that's a wrapped up thread, huh?
- And what about the Republic being so damn weak right after blowing up the deathstar? Why? How? Isn't the First Order supposed to be weak? They just lost their megaspaceship planet? The Republic/"Resistance" is a galactic entity, no? This "story thread" ended before it even began. Honestly, whatever "story threads" Mr Rian tries to set up here, he literally had to conjure them up out of pure nothingness, because it so detached from what happened in VII. Except characters, I guess; that stays consistent, nominally.
- Finn knowing about stuff helpful to fit the plot needs because he mopped floors while being a trooper? heh. okay, pile it on.
- Rey, rey, rey. wth is this character? She gets to do everything better than absolutely everyone. She can outfight Kylo, a sith apprentice, she can outfly and outshoot troopers... She has more "tehforce" powers than Kylo could ever have. ALL THIS WITH ZERO TRAINING. Yeah, can't blame people for getting suspicious and trying to blame SJWs for this. I wouldn't fight it. Rey even magically shows up at the end of the movie by the cave entrance blocked by all the rubble. At the right time, in the right place... Well, at least she gets to show off how ezpz it is to lift all the rubble and looks damn fine while doing it, right? Yeah, again, no training needed. She just does this.
- And I don't even want to begin with Luke. "Just shut up and watch the damn movie", amiright?
- There's more, honorable mention being the hyperspace jump destroying the entire enemy fleet...

I guess one can call the movie interesting.
TLJ is a terrible movie.
Apr 12, 2018 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
Didn't they replace a few male characters and changed them into female characters in Space Yamato Battleship remake?
Apr 12, 2018 12:25 PM

May 2009
@DodgeOffset I kinda want to reply to you point by point, but since I already had a long discussion about Star Wars Episode VIII in one of those threads I linked (starting at page 7 in the thread), I don't feel like writing it all out again. You're welcome to read it, even though I don't address precisely your points in those posts I made earlier. I don't mean to dismiss your criticisms of it, although I disagree with them. I'm sorry if I'm a little blunt on this, but I just don't feel like going over this in detail again.

FWIW I remember reading a commentary that the Force might be something that's more than just a hereditary superpower given to the Skywalkers, and it may be the case that it's more distributed in the universe than previously thought.

Anyway, as someone who isn't a longtime Star Wars fan, I actually got more interested in the worldbuilding/setting stuff after watching this movie. It's ironic, because this is a movie where so much tragedy occurs, and so much goes wrong, yet I actually feel more invested in the setting now. I actually want to find out what happens to everyone afterwards. I want to find out what happens to broom boy, for example.

Also, IMO, Luke had the downright best scene in the entire movie.
GlennMagusHarveyApr 12, 2018 12:28 PM
Apr 12, 2018 2:22 PM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
@DodgeOffset I kinda want to reply to you point by point, but since I already had a long discussion about Star Wars Episode VIII in one of those threads I linked (starting at page 7 in the thread), I don't feel like writing it all out again. You're welcome to read it, even though I don't address precisely your points in those posts I made earlier. I don't mean to dismiss your criticisms of it, although I disagree with them. I'm sorry if I'm a little blunt on this, but I just don't feel like going over this in detail again.

FWIW I remember reading a commentary that the Force might be something that's more than just a hereditary superpower given to the Skywalkers, and it may be the case that it's more distributed in the universe than previously thought.

Anyway, as someone who isn't a longtime Star Wars fan, I actually got more interested in the worldbuilding/setting stuff after watching this movie. It's ironic, because this is a movie where so much tragedy occurs, and so much goes wrong, yet I actually feel more invested in the setting now. I actually want to find out what happens to everyone afterwards. I want to find out what happens to broom boy, for example.

Also, IMO, Luke had the downright best scene in the entire movie.

Okay, I went and read the whole of page 7.
So let's get some of the more concrete stuff out of the way:
- Do you disagree with the fact that an open space hatch into a spaceship shouldn't do what it did in the movie? Like the hatch just opens up and they let Leia in while the hatch is still open.

- I would like hear this commentary on the force. And I don't think other characters having the force is such a big deal. Main problem comes in when characters just get free passes and the plot exempts other characters because they are bound by actual rules, like training, apprentice, experience. This problem is usually caused by lazy writing, and subverting exposition or any consistency over not only the prequels or OT, but also like every canon or non-cannon novel written on the universe. Except maybe the novels that will be written for this trilogy. Poor guy that'll have to write that stuff in prose without looking like a fruitcake.

Then:

- Luke's character... Okay, so this movie is telling me that the dude that absolutely did not give up on the second most evil character in the universe (Vader), who is also his father, actually "chickened" out after getting some weird vision about his nephew having darkside powers, which compared to Vader is almost nothing. Not only that but Luke, a legendary Jedi, gets rekt by Rey in a stick fight? Like I get that the screenwriter's are giving Rey tips and letting her skip some actual coherent steps but damn, beating Luke? Okay. Well, I guess coherency wasn't on the table, my bad.

- Holdo was clearly a retarded leader, and the movie would like you to think that she realized she was retarded and therefore did something unbelievably noble. And that's all fine now. But why was Poe treated in such an ill-toned manner by the movie, especially when he contests with Holdo? What is the movie trying to tell me here? Poe wants answers and Holdo just goes "nah" and then "look, poe is being naughty." What subtext is hidden here? I can see someone saying "it's teh feminism, look Poe is a guy, she has purple hair, she doesn't want to tell him anything because she can do everything herself or whatever." Unless you can describe another underlying theme in there? That woman are incompetent? Maybe? That's the only other one, I can see in there. Either way, it's dumb.

- Then back to Holdo hyperspace jumping into the First Order super fleet. Can you see the problem this introduced? Why has no one ever used hyperspace as a weapon? I mean, the ship used in the movie was several times smaller than the stardestroyers in the back of the fleet, let alone the super ship in the front. But it managed to destroy the whole fleet. You can use droids, maybe? A tiefighter is about on scale with a star destroyer like Holdo's ship is with the super huge ship. So next movie, if we get some tense spaceship battle, we're just gonna ignore this? Because we certainly had none of it in the previous movies.

- what worldbuilding/ setting stuff are you referring ? Because these movies made a metric ton of canon novels pointless and non-canon. It has completely rewritten whatever there was before. Exposition wise, these movies make the Republic look unbelievably weak... How in the world did the First Order get back at the republic in VII, get destroyed, and then still get back at the republic in VIII, only to find out that the resistance fleet in VIII are the only remaining "remnants." WHAT? What happened? How does this make sense? No wonder they are called the "resistance". That name was so out of place until that became clear, but then what happened between VII and VIII? In such a short time? Okay.

- Then some weird continuity stuff, editing errors if you will, those ground ships in that final battle on the salt desert... They all just go out and face the First Order army to do what? What? Okay, answer that and then we'll get back to that (tied with Rose Tico scene).
Those ground ships just go straight across that massive field of salt, and it's quite the distance iirc, but then right after Tico crashes into Finn, they have to get back... to the cave. They do. How? How did Finn drag Tico all the way across that massive field of salt with the army standing right there, and in so little time? Then another scene, in the ship right before Leia's ship explodes. Poe and Finn just go? They vanish? They just... idk why but they just do it. Why? Was it so that Poe and Finn could survive, without them possibly knowing? Because that's all I got. They just happen to leave whimsically and it happen to be at the time when the ship was about to explode? Yeah, wouldn't want to have Poe, Finn and Leia pull a superman in space, amiright?

- Snoke. :///// Like wth. Who was this guy? No one? Okay. That's fine, I guess. Rian just went and killed JJs villain.

-This is what comes to mind atm, and I'm trying to keep it as self-referential as I can, i.e just TJL.
Apr 12, 2018 4:00 PM

May 2009
DodgeOffset said:
It goes until like page 12, on and off. I think I ended up with the last post in the thread just because that's finally when a mod locked the thread.

DodgeOffset said:
- Do you disagree with the fact that an open space hatch into a spaceship shouldn't do what it did in the movie? Like the hatch just opens up and they let Leia in while the hatch is still open.
I don't remember which scene you're talking about and I don't have the movie in front of me to check so I'll refrain on answering this.

DodgeOffset said:
- I would like hear this commentary on the force. And I don't think other characters having the force is such a big deal. Main problem comes in when characters just get free passes and the plot exempts other characters because they are bound by actual rules, like training, apprentice, experience. This problem is usually caused by lazy writing, and subverting exposition or any consistency over not only the prequels or OT, but also like every canon or non-cannon novel written on the universe. Except maybe the novels that will be written for this trilogy. Poor guy that'll have to write that stuff in prose without looking like a fruitcake.
Here's the article: https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/15/16780676/star-wars-the-last-jedi-the-force-midi-chlorians-spoilers
I just thought it was an interesting perspective.

For what it's worth, I'm not someone who's been a fan for many years and who's seen piles of stuff and is a veteran of debates over whether any given thing is canon. As I explained in those posts, I've seen Episode III and Episode VIII, and anything else I know about Star Wars comes through cultural diffusion (which can sometimes be a surprising amount, since I've had to read up on the debate over who shot first, for example). So maybe you can say I don't know how the Star Wars universe works, or maybe you can say I'm a fresh set of eyes on said universe. But after all, this is a fictional universe whose rules may or may not be what we "know", and knowledge of which can change depending on how we understand and interpret things.

But, in short, I won't be debating the consistency, with regards to canon, of any given thing that happens in the movie. This was not my approach to this movie, nor is it something I'm qualified to talk about because I haven't seen a lot of Star Wars lore.

DodgeOffset said:
- Luke's character... Okay, so this movie is telling me that the dude that absolutely did not give up on the second most evil character in the universe (Vader), who is also his father, actually "chickened" out after getting some weird vision about his nephew having darkside powers, which compared to Vader is almost nothing. Not only that but Luke, a legendary Jedi, gets rekt by Rey in a stick fight? Like I get that the screenwriter's are giving Rey tips and letting her skip some actual coherent steps but damn, beating Luke? Okay. Well, I guess coherency wasn't on the table, my bad.
A person can certainly change, as well as hold back their efforts. Even in real life, it's entirely possible for someone to do great things that they later can't replicate, or to have skills they find themselves unable to make use of because their heart isn't in it. And Luke's heart rather clearly wasn't in it in the movie, at least for most of it.

DodgeOffset said:
- Holdo was clearly a retarded leader, and the movie would like you to think that she realized she was retarded and therefore did something unbelievably noble. And that's all fine now. But why was Poe treated in such an ill-toned manner by the movie, especially when he contests with Holdo? What is the movie trying to tell me here? Poe wants answers and Holdo just goes "nah" and then "look, poe is being naughty." What subtext is hidden here? I can see someone saying "it's teh feminism, look Poe is a guy, she has purple hair, she doesn't want to tell him anything because she can do everything herself or whatever." Unless you can describe another underlying theme in there? That woman are incompetent? Maybe? That's the only other one, I can see in there. Either way, it's dumb.
Just because Holdo's wrong doesn't mean Poe is right -- it's possible for them both to be wrong, in different ways. And the greater overarching theme I saw, was that things just didn't go right for almost anyone. Failure and setbacks were themselves a theme.

DodgeOffset said:
- Then back to Holdo hyperspace jumping into the First Order super fleet. Can you see the problem this introduced? Why has no one ever used hyperspace as a weapon? I mean, the ship used in the movie was several times smaller than the stardestroyers in the back of the fleet, let alone the super ship in the front. But it managed to destroy the whole fleet. You can use droids, maybe? A tiefighter is about on scale with a star destroyer like Holdo's ship is with the super huge ship. So next movie, if we get some tense spaceship battle, we're just gonna ignore this? Because we certainly had none of it in the previous movies.
Maybe because it's very costly, and/or unreliable, and/or poorly-researched?

DodgeOffset said:
- Then some weird continuity stuff, editing errors if you will, those ground ships in that final battle on the salt desert... They all just go out and face the First Order army to do what? What? Okay, answer that and then we'll get back to that (tied with Rose Tico scene).
They were trying to protect and/or buy time for the Resistance folks hiding in the base. One of their objectives was to destroy -- or at least reduce the impact of -- the battering ram cannon.

DodgeOffset said:
Those ground ships just go straight across that massive field of salt, and it's quite the distance iirc, but then right after Tico crashes into Finn, they have to get back... to the cave. They do. How? How did Finn drag Tico all the way across that massive field of salt with the army standing right there, and in so little time?
Adrenaline? Plain dumb luck? Dunno.
Apr 13, 2018 1:45 AM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DodgeOffset said:
It goes until like page 12, on and off. I think I ended up with the last post in the thread just because that's finally when a mod locked the thread.

DodgeOffset said:
I don't remember which scene you're talking about and I don't have the movie in front of me to check so I'll refrain on answering this.

DodgeOffset said:
Here's the article: https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/15/16780676/star-wars-the-last-jedi-the-force-midi-chlorians-spoilers
I just thought it was an interesting perspective.

For what it's worth, I'm not someone who's been a fan for many years and who's seen piles of stuff and is a veteran of debates over whether any given thing is canon. As I explained in those posts, I've seen Episode III and Episode VIII, and anything else I know about Star Wars comes through cultural diffusion (which can sometimes be a surprising amount, since I've had to read up on the debate over who shot first, for example). So maybe you can say I don't know how the Star Wars universe works, or maybe you can say I'm a fresh set of eyes on said universe. But after all, this is a fictional universe whose rules may or may not be what we "know", and knowledge of which can change depending on how we understand and interpret things.

But, in short, I won't be debating the consistency, with regards to canon, of any given thing that happens in the movie. This was not my approach to this movie, nor is it something I'm qualified to talk about because I haven't seen a lot of Star Wars lore.

DodgeOffset said:
A person can certainly change, as well as hold back their efforts. Even in real life, it's entirely possible for someone to do great things that they later can't replicate, or to have skills they find themselves unable to make use of because their heart isn't in it. And Luke's heart rather clearly wasn't in it in the movie, at least for most of it.

DodgeOffset said:
Just because Holdo's wrong doesn't mean Poe is right -- it's possible for them both to be wrong, in different ways. And the greater overarching theme I saw, was that things just didn't go right for almost anyone. Failure and setbacks were themselves a theme.

DodgeOffset said:
Maybe because it's very costly, and/or unreliable, and/or poorly-researched?

DodgeOffset said:
They were trying to protect and/or buy time for the Resistance folks hiding in the base. One of their objectives was to destroy -- or at least reduce the impact of -- the battering ram cannon.

DodgeOffset said:
Those ground ships just go straight across that massive field of salt, and it's quite the distance iirc, but then right after Tico crashes into Finn, they have to get back... to the cave. They do. How? How did Finn drag Tico all the way across that massive field of salt with the army standing right there, and in so little time?
Adrenaline? Plain dumb luck? Dunno.

Okay so firstly, that's a Polygon article. Secondly, why is he saying it's a bloodline thing? It never was. Yoda, Mace Windu, Count Dooku, Emperor, and many more... All had Jedi powers. So Rey having Jedi powers IS NOT A PROBLEM AND NEVER WAS. Don't know what that person is on? "It's been fun, but has it been relatable? Not for me." Pfff okay, Chris. What did you think the tiny green jedi was a long lost great-grandfather of the family? Sorry, but that person isn't proving anything and is trying to make Rey's journey relatable. Which is an odd thing to do, because nothing about her is relatable. She just does everything, save a few tears, and then you just have classic Mary Sue material. Don't see how this can still be debated.

Then on to The Force. So you're just gonna skip the fact that other Jedi are stronger than others, and some have more experience, some have delved deeper into the force hence becoming stronger. This has been there since Episode I. Hell, the dark side is supposed to be the stronger side simply because it had to do with going too far, and becoming too strong. That's why Anakin was seen as a problem by Yoda since the day he showed up. Yoda knew he was talented and that "there was darkness in him". So over time, Anakin became stronger and more in sync with the Force, and eventually Emperor came and gave him a nudge. =Darth Vader. Now with Rey, and by comparison Kylo, she just gets super strong in no time. VII and VIII span across a very short time. Like about a week. And Rey gets super strong with the force like not even in a day. She closes her eyes, and bam! Sorry, but the "but we don't really now how The Force works" is a classic cop out in writing. That's how you create enough leeway to just fill the needs of plot. Yeah, we don't know how the force works so let's just give Rey all the powers, don't worry we don't know how it works so it's fine. She just needs to be here, here, and there, when the needs arises.

Luke changed? What caused him to change? That looked like an overnight thing to me, and if it wasn't, how do you just say "yeah, he's like 30 years older, and a lot of stuff has happened" so he could've gone either way, let's make him cowardly compared to what he was. Ace, subverted dem expectations, amiright? That's not how it works, especially with Luke. Luke was the central character for a full trilogy, he faced actual big league villains. Now he gets a dream, tries to kill his nephew, and all we get is... "He's older, dude. Things change, people change. Not so weird."
Yeah, okay. This is baffling. And Mark Hamill was baffled when he read his own script. Rian is the crazy one.

Okay, Poe. How was what Poe did not the right thing? They were being chased by a super death fleet, and they had no plan......... Mmmmmh. Deep themes of not everyone succeeds, and people fail. Okay? I mean, sure. But Poe just saw they were on a death wish, especially after he clicked with what Holdo was trying to do... (which was an unbelievably retarded plan, mind you.) and then Poe tries to do the right thing. The right thing. But nope, he gets treated poorly, Leia just walks up to him and goes "nah, here's a blast from my weird ass sonic gun." Sit down, Poe. Subtext = overarching theme of failure. pffff. Sorry, but that's gotta be the most hamfisted attempt at failure ever. Poe failed doing what? Okay. Leia and Holdo are being cryptic about stuff for no apparent reason. Holdo just doesn't want to tell everyone that she ain't got no real plan.

Hyperspace. So one of the main functions of almost all the spaceships since Episode I is poorly researched, not cost effective, nor reliable? Okay, lets take that one by one. Poorly researched... almost every ship can jump into hyperspace. Watch all the eps and you'll see. Cost effective... Okay so I wasn't talking about how efficient it is, but how effective it would be to use it, I mean, Holdo's ship is a testament to that. And when I said if the next movie has a tense battle between ships, I meant tense just like in all the others. It's a battle. People die. And I'm literally saying that you just need one tiny tiefighter to spacejump into a cruiser. That's all. That tiefighter can be piloted by a droid. Because droids has piloted a lot of things in the past, including ships. So...
Unreliable? It doesn't have to be something in mass production. But it's definitely an option if the battle is "tense". Just fly a droid into the other ships. Bam! done. You're losing tiefighters by the second, why hesitate with one tiefighter plus one droid taking down the ship that is wrecking your other tiefighters and even your fleet? No hesitation, I'd say.

Okay, so now we get to Salt Desert Land Planet. So the ships try to 1)buy time and 2) take out the big cannon that will most likely destroy the whole cave. So then Finn gets some inspiration along the way and does a "for the resistance" kamikaze attempt at the cannon. Great. Finn's clearly sacrificing himself for his friends, right? Great stuff, Finn. An honorable dea- So Tico just rams into him from a 90 degree angle. So she had to fly like right in front of all those First Order troops, unharmed, and still manage to stop Finn from saving the people in the cave. She has a weird scene with Finn, completely out of nowhere. She says, "That’s how we’re going to win. Not fighting what we hate. Saving what we love." Yes, Rose that's pretty deep stuff, but what about your sister in the very first scene of the movie, blowing up the enemy ship "for teh resistance" YOUR SISTER. If she didn't do that... many would've died. Now you stop Finn from trying to save his friends, and say this super out of nowhere line? And you do this while the cannon fires a laserbeam at the cave, exactly what everyone, the people in the ships, Finn, everyone in the cave, everyone who died on the field in their ships, tried to prevent. Okay, movie. Thanks for whatever this is. Then, they just end up back in the cave (across a battlefield, and they started like a few meters in front of the First Order ARMY. dumb luck? more like plot armor. Great writing, great editing. Rian, you're such a bro.) and apparently Rey is on the other side already... for some reason. Lifting dem rubble, because she hella strong. Yeah. You can like this film all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's just the worse star wars film to date. And not only is it a bad Star Wars film, it's a bad film.
Apr 13, 2018 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
Psycho-Pass and a strong female character?

I lol'd hard on that one.

Please, OP. Akane's character's a joke.
Apr 13, 2018 5:41 AM

Apr 2015
Production I.G., home of such amazing feminist anime as Cromartie High School and Diabolik Lovers.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 13, 2018 5:50 AM
Apr 2018
CatSoul said:
Production I.G., home of such amazing feminist anime as Cromartie High School and Diabolik Lovers.

You missed a few

gay ballroom dancing
Gay basketball
Attack on Titan
The worst season of Genshiken “Genshiken Nidaime”
ecchiharemgeekApr 13, 2018 5:55 AM
Apr 13, 2018 1:00 PM

May 2009
DodgeOffset said:
You can like this film all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's just the worse star wars film to date. And not only is it a bad Star Wars film, it's a bad film.
Like I said earlier, I don't feel like discussing this further, so pardon me for not responding to you in detail.

Like I say with anime, I don't find it particularly meaningful to say what is or isn't "bad". One can say something is "bad", but if it created a meaningful experience for something else, is it then truly "bad"? Perhaps not. That doesn't mean it's truly "good" either -- it just means it was effective at some things, and not effective at others.
Apr 13, 2018 1:48 PM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DodgeOffset said:
You can like this film all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it's just the worse star wars film to date. And not only is it a bad Star Wars film, it's a bad film.
Like I said earlier, I don't feel like discussing this further, so pardon me for not responding to you in detail.

Like I say with anime, I don't find it particularly meaningful to say what is or isn't "bad". One can say something is "bad", but if it created a meaningful experience for something else, is it then truly "bad"? Perhaps not. That doesn't mean it's truly "good" either -- it just means it was effective at some things, and not effective at others.

Poorly put together. = bad. if this movie is a meaningful experience, you're gonna have to point out "meaning" to me, because pretty much everything is pulled out of someone's behind. And the plot builds on flimsy character interactions. You can like it, as I said. But bad is bad. You can still overlook most of the detriments and still enjoy the film, probably. I just couldn't. If something is poorly constructed then it is bad, don't see where the hesitation would come from? This isn't rocket science.

And why is pointing out the bad "not meaningful" ?
Apr 13, 2018 2:13 PM

May 2009
DodgeOffset said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Poorly put together. = bad. if this movie is a meaningful experience, you're gonna have to point out "meaning" to me, because pretty much everything is pulled out of someone's behind. And the plot builds on flimsy character interactions. You can like it, as I said. But bad is bad. You can still overlook most of the detriments and still enjoy the film, probably. I just couldn't. If something is poorly constructed then it is bad, don't see where the hesitation would come from? This isn't rocket science.

I didn't say pointing out what you think is bad is "not meaningful". I said that the movie "created a meaningful experience for something else", meaning it created a meaningful experience for a different purpose. Sorry I didn't word that well; might be more relevant to say it "created a meaningful experience for someone else", specifically myself (and other people who enjoyed it).

It's fine that you don't like the movie. I'm not here to tell you you should. And frankly speaking, I sometimes find myself in your shoes, like when I'm criticizing Madoka Magica's storytelling for feeling artificial and lacking proper depth of characterization. But clearly other people found something to enjoy about it. So is Madoka Magica bad?

I mean, I can insist it is, but that'll just get me into endless and pointless arguments. So I'm like, yeah, whatever. You feel Star Wars Episode VIII was "poorly constructed" and I don't feel that way; you felt that story was "pulled out of someone's behind" and "built on flimsy character interactions", and I don't feel that way. Simple as that. It's not the first time I've disagreed with people on the merits of a story, and it likely won't be the last.
GlennMagusHarveyApr 13, 2018 2:19 PM
Apr 13, 2018 8:31 PM

Jul 2016
I don't care aslong as they don't start that stupid shit where it's all

'' All men are rapists ''

'' You're raping me with your stare at my shorts that dosen't even cover half my ass ''
Apr 13, 2018 11:25 PM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DodgeOffset said:

I didn't say pointing out what you think is bad is "not meaningful". I said that the movie "created a meaningful experience for something else", meaning it created a meaningful experience for a different purpose. Sorry I didn't word that well; might be more relevant to say it "created a meaningful experience for someone else", specifically myself (and other people who enjoyed it).

It's fine that you don't like the movie. I'm not here to tell you you should. And frankly speaking, I sometimes find myself in your shoes, like when I'm criticizing Madoka Magica's storytelling for feeling artificial and lacking proper depth of characterization. But clearly other people found something to enjoy about it. So is Madoka Magica bad?

I mean, I can insist it is, but that'll just get me into endless and pointless arguments. So I'm like, yeah, whatever. You feel Star Wars Episode VIII was "poorly constructed" and I don't feel that way; you felt that story was "pulled out of someone's behind" and "built on flimsy character interactions", and I don't feel that way. Simple as that. It's not the first time I've disagreed with people on the merits of a story, and it likely won't be the last.

I feel The Room is an absolute catastrophe and only a fool would say that it's a good film, but guess what... I was entertained. We can like things that are garbo. But denying actual facts that happen in the movie... to justify you liking it... mkay.

Everything I said about Star Wars is a fact, literally. Don't believe me? Then watch the Holdo scene with Poe, where Poe desperately does the thing anyone else would do, but gets spanked because he needs to learn some arbitrary lesson. Watch Rey just getting stronger and stronger for no reason. Watch Finn drag Rose Tico across a massive desert in so little time while also not getting shot. Watch Rose say something that absolutely makes no sense. Watch Leia pull off some weird superman move out in space without dying, and Finn and Poe letting her back into the other ship with an open space hatch........ Watch Luke not be Luke, and turn into a hermit on some island because guess what 30 years have passed which means we get to do whatever we want with him, and you just need to accept it. Watch Kylo not get his training promised at the end of VII. Watch Snoke die, the end. Watch characters popping into frame almost like they teleported great distances because Mr.plot needed them:
-Rey at the end of the movie, when she magically appears in the right place to lift rubble that just happens to be the rubble that blocked the resistance's path. But hey, at least that scene looks all nice and pretty, amiright?
-Finn and Rose just appearing back in the cave, no questions asked.
-Captain Phasma who got put in a dustbin hole on the death star in VII, just magically reappears in VIII. Not dead, even though the Death Star exploded, not demoted, still Captain, because some characters don't get consequences for their actions.
There's so much more I can point out.
Watch the entire plot build a flimsy narrative that could have been solved since the very beginning but keeps going because the plot needs it and its characters to make odd, idiotic decisions to up the "stakes". A chase scene. That's what this movie is. And any of the enemy ships could have cut the resistance ship off. Any But no, "they will outrun us, sir." Nothing make sense. You just have to switch your brain off. The subtext is an absolute mess. Rain Johnson had no idea what he was doing. It's fine if a movie has a few slip ups but when they just keep piling on, my suspension of disbelief will keep waning until it can't overlook the gigantic snowball coming down the mountain. One or two minor issues and maybe an editing error or two is fine, but a metric ton of them?
And if you're gonna answer with the non-response "people interpret differently" then I can only urge you to watch it again.
DodgeOffsetApr 13, 2018 11:33 PM
Apr 14, 2018 7:17 AM

May 2009
DodgeOffset said:
I feel The Room is an absolute catastrophe and only a fool would say that it's a good film, but guess what... I was entertained. We can like things that are garbo.
I haven't watched The Room, but I've seen bits of it, and it seems to be an example of a work that fails at certain objectives (in its case, verisimilitude) and succeeds at others (in its case, self-parody). Which was essentially the point I was making earlier.

DodgeOffset said:
But denying actual facts that happen in the movie... to justify you liking it... mkay.

Everything I said about Star Wars is a fact, literally. Don't believe me?
No, of course I don't, because everything about Star Wars is a fiction. Because Star Wars itself is fiction. We can argue 'til the cows come home and beyond, about how the universe does or doesn't work, about what did or didn't happen canonically, etc. except all of it is fictional anyway.

Anyway,...
DodgeOffset said:
And if you're gonna answer with the non-response
if you didn't like my "non-response" (in your words) earlier, enjoy this point by point rebuttal.

DodgeOffset said:
Then watch the Holdo scene with Poe, where Poe desperately does the thing anyone else would do, but gets spanked because he needs to learn some arbitrary lesson.
If you want to simulate this to full verisimilitude, are you neglecting the further possibility that if Holdo just let Poe go off and do his own thing, he could have just gotten himself unceremoniously killed or worse (e.g. captured and used as a pawn or to get intel)? Did the characters have actually foresee the outcomes of their decisions at the time? Of course not. It was a judgement call on both sides.

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Rey just getting stronger and stronger for no reason.
How exactly did this happen? Are you meaning to say that you can (1) accurately compare the power level of a metaphysical illusion at the base of a waterfall with working through one's self-doubt with fighting Kylo and Snoke, and then furthermore (2) postulate with full accuracy that that one-dimensional level of "strength" can be measured against Rey's corresponding character stat to determine success or failure without fail?

Heck, even D&D has six base attribute scores that do different things. And another thing that D&D has (at least in 3.5, which I've played), is a tendency for the outcome of conflicts to turn on very small factors. Not "is your stat higher than my stat", but rather, little things like...
DodgeOffset said:
Watch Snoke die, the end.
...Rey noticing that Snoke totally took his attention off the lightsaber sitting right next to him, which he gloatingly put there himself. If you catch someone off guard, you can easily defeat someone of far higher level.

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Finn drag Rose Tico across a massive desert in so little time while also not getting shot.
DodgeOffset said:
Does the rest of the movie happen in real-time? :P

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Leia pull off some weird superman move out in space without dying,
That was explained by her use of the Force, and it wasn't without consequences, either.

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Luke not be Luke, and turn into a hermit on some island because guess what 30 years have passed which means we get to do whatever we want with him, and you just need to accept it.
Oh, you don't need to accept it, because it's fiction. And I mean that seriously. You can declare it non-canon if you want. Meanwhile, people can and do change dramatically in real life, in far less time, so why is it so surprising in fiction?

DodgeOffset said:
-Rey at the end of the movie, when she magically appears in the right place to lift rubble that just happens to be the rubble that blocked the resistance's path. But hey, at least that scene looks all nice and pretty, amiright?
She came in flying above all the topography, on her own ride.

DodgeOffset said:
-Captain Phasma who got put in a dustbin hole on the death star in VII, just magically reappears in VIII. Not dead, even though the Death Star exploded, not demoted, still Captain, because some characters don't get consequences for their actions.
Maybe because the leadership wanted her around for some reason we don't know about?

DodgeOffset said:
Watch the entire plot build a flimsy narrative that could have been solved since the very beginning but keeps going because the plot needs it and its characters to make odd, idiotic decisions to up the "stakes".
If you're looking toward this movie just to have certain desires of yours tickled, then I guess, depending on those desires, prepare to be disappointed, because it's not necessarily going to serve those desires.

DodgeOffset said:
And any of the enemy ships could have cut the resistance ship off. Any But no, "they will outrun us, sir."
Because it makes great military sense to try to send out a portion of one's forces to stop something, when one already has a way to tell where it's headed, and there's both a strategic advantage to running it out of gas, and the possibility of planning an ambush?

DodgeOffset said:
Nothing make sense.
No, a lot of things make sense.

It might not be perfect, so you can always nitpick at things, but if that's all you're doing, then you might as well just go write your own fanfiction.
GlennMagusHarveyApr 14, 2018 7:57 AM
Apr 15, 2018 3:59 PM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DodgeOffset said:
I feel The Room is an absolute catastrophe and only a fool would say that it's a good film, but guess what... I was entertained. We can like things that are garbo.
I haven't watched The Room, but I've seen bits of it, and it seems to be an example of a work that fails at certain objectives (in its case, verisimilitude) and succeeds at others (in its case, self-parody). Which was essentially the point I was making earlier.

DodgeOffset said:
But denying actual facts that happen in the movie... to justify you liking it... mkay.

Everything I said about Star Wars is a fact, literally. Don't believe me?
No, of course I don't, because everything about Star Wars is a fiction. Because Star Wars itself is fiction. We can argue 'til the cows come home and beyond, about how the universe does or doesn't work, about what did or didn't happen canonically, etc. except all of it is fictional anyway.

Anyway,...
DodgeOffset said:
And if you're gonna answer with the non-response
if you didn't like my "non-response" (in your words) earlier, enjoy this point by point rebuttal.

DodgeOffset said:
Then watch the Holdo scene with Poe, where Poe desperately does the thing anyone else would do, but gets spanked because he needs to learn some arbitrary lesson.
If you want to simulate this to full verisimilitude, are you neglecting the further possibility that if Holdo just let Poe go off and do his own thing, he could have just gotten himself unceremoniously killed or worse (e.g. captured and used as a pawn or to get intel)? Did the characters have actually foresee the outcomes of their decisions at the time? Of course not. It was a judgement call on both sides.

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Rey just getting stronger and stronger for no reason.
How exactly did this happen? Are you meaning to say that you can (1) accurately compare the power level of a metaphysical illusion at the base of a waterfall with working through one's self-doubt with fighting Kylo and Snoke, and then furthermore (2) postulate with full accuracy that that one-dimensional level of "strength" can be measured against Rey's corresponding character stat to determine success or failure without fail?

Heck, even D&D has six base attribute scores that do different things. And another thing that D&D has (at least in 3.5, which I've played), is a tendency for the outcome of conflicts to turn on very small factors. Not "is your stat higher than my stat", but rather, little things like...
DodgeOffset said:
Watch Snoke die, the end.
...Rey noticing that Snoke totally took his attention off the lightsaber sitting right next to him, which he gloatingly put there himself. If you catch someone off guard, you can easily defeat someone of far higher level.

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Finn drag Rose Tico across a massive desert in so little time while also not getting shot.
DodgeOffset said:
Does the rest of the movie happen in real-time? :P

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Leia pull off some weird superman move out in space without dying,
That was explained by her use of the Force, and it wasn't without consequences, either.

DodgeOffset said:
Watch Luke not be Luke, and turn into a hermit on some island because guess what 30 years have passed which means we get to do whatever we want with him, and you just need to accept it.
Oh, you don't need to accept it, because it's fiction. And I mean that seriously. You can declare it non-canon if you want. Meanwhile, people can and do change dramatically in real life, in far less time, so why is it so surprising in fiction?

DodgeOffset said:
She came in flying above all the topography, on her own ride.

DodgeOffset said:
Maybe because the leadership wanted her around for some reason we don't know about?

DodgeOffset said:
Watch the entire plot build a flimsy narrative that could have been solved since the very beginning but keeps going because the plot needs it and its characters to make odd, idiotic decisions to up the "stakes".
If you're looking toward this movie just to have certain desires of yours tickled, then I guess, depending on those desires, prepare to be disappointed, because it's not necessarily going to serve those desires.

DodgeOffset said:
And any of the enemy ships could have cut the resistance ship off. Any But no, "they will outrun us, sir."
Because it makes great military sense to try to send out a portion of one's forces to stop something, when one already has a way to tell where it's headed, and there's both a strategic advantage to running it out of gas, and the possibility of planning an ambush?

DodgeOffset said:
Nothing make sense.
No, a lot of things make sense.

It might not be perfect, so you can always nitpick at things, but if that's all you're doing, then you might as well just go write your own fanfiction.

-Firstly, I wasn't talking about the intention of the films, that's missing the point of my statement. I'm talking about the quality. If The Room goes for parody that's fine, but I was talking about how the delivery and execution was bad, regardless of for what reasons. You don't need to school me on this. The Room needed to be "bad", and it was. Failing at verisimilitude isn't what I was getting at, and, in fact, The Room didn't fail at "verisimilitude" in context and accordance with its intention. That's why parodies/any subversionary film gets leeway, and then again, only to an extent, otherwise any man on the street can make a "good" film in the genre.

- Saying "but it's fiction" is a losing argument. This film is a sequel to 7 other films, 8 if you include Rogue One. Just saying, "yeah but The Force is all flow-y and stuff, so it can do whatever it wants" is just wrong on so many levels, especially the writing one. Funny that you would use the word "fanfiction", which is pretty much what this film is at this point.

- Who said I wanted to simulate verisimilitude? That's such a vague word especially in the context of Holdo vs Poe. You used it earlier in your reply as well, but in the context of creator intentions, which is very different from actual "dialogue"/interaction between two characters. The semblance of something being real or at least within determined limits, especially when you're a sequel, is kind of the point. But we're not even talking about TLJ universe vs Star Wars universe here,no, this is Poe and Holdo. Characters. You're little prediction that "perhaps Poe would have died if stuff went along with whatever he wanted to do" is predicated on nothing portrayed in the film and you're moving goalposts because the whole point is that it should settle with the theme being explored between Holdo and Poe (which is what you defended in your previous replies), BUT this is all pointless because they were on the brink of death anyway. Holdo wanted to abandon the Raddus, and evacuate... while the enemy fleet is chasing them? ?? This is a terrible idea, even with considering their predicament. So Poe goes and says "it's suicide" and calls Holdo a traitor, and Holdo feels guilt. Okay, this makes sense. Poe gives his plan that involved Finn, a plan that is way more plausible considering the circumstances. But no, apparently Holdo thinks the odds are worse with his plan compared to her evacuation transports??? What? Explain this to me, without pulling some dumb luck, "maybe the enemy fleet won't kill them." Okay, so Holdo is a retard. What happens after the transports leave the ship, do they just die/explode? She doesn't even tell Poe why the odds are supposedly worse if they go through with his plan, she just gets angry... and ignores Poe, dividing the crew and potentially ruining Poe's plan in the process. Apparently Poe endangered the crew now? Okay. Poe's plan was by no means based on a crude, baffling guess that maybe just maybe they'll survive the onslaught, like Holdo's plan. Poe wants Finn and co to get rid of the enemy fleet's tracker, thus making it easy to jump out of range and out of sight. How is this worse? This has nothing to do with "forseeing the outcomes of their decisions at the time". This is one idiotic plan considered as "better" over one that is way more feasible, and reasonable, especially knowing that they are being chased. And not only this, but afterwards when Leia gives Poe some context, he's immediately converted and goes along with it. ??? What theme is being explored here? Poe getting stonewalled by Holdo, Poe trying to come up with a plan that could save everyone, because he is kept in the dark. Why has Holdo been so cryptic with her crew, and more importantly Poe up until this point. The dude is literally going to commit mutiny, because of this. What is Holdo's intention? She just says, "I hope you understand what you just did, Poe." All smug. Then later on, Poe tells C3PO that he did what he did because of "instinct"... and I quote, "Good instinct, C3PO. Go with that." Poe is considered in the wrong by the movie itself. Then a bit later Leia comes in... blasts Poe. Then she and Holdo laugh it off... while the transports leave the ship... ???????????? And call Poe a "troublemaker" and talk about how much they like him?????????? Okay. And then Holdo tells Leia to go without her... too many lives lost. And then the stupid hyperspace jump collision between the raddus and the supremacy ensues. Tell me, what was being told here? This has to be the dumbest plot line in the entire saga. Absolutely just stupid. Nothing makes sense. Whatsoever. Don't even try to say that "I'm just trying to simulate verisimilitude." This was nonsense. Yes, it was a judgment call on both sides ... OBVIOUSLY. What do you mean when you say this? You better look up the word "rebuttal" because you're doing a terrible job. I'm merely quoting the damn movie.

- How are DnD attributes an equivalent to a film overruling its exposition? Okay, so let's just start with your (1) "accurately compare the power level of a metaphysical illusion at the base of a waterfall with working through one's self-doubt with fighting Kylo and Snoke."
No. There is either a little or absolutely no power without training.
(2) "postulate with full accuracy that that one-dimensional level of "strength" can be measured against Rey's corresponding character stat to determine success or failure without fail"
So you're saying that "strength" is related to the character here, in which you're right but only to the extent in which the character impacts how hard they train. Not in any other way.
Luke had to train, Kylo had to train, Snoke had to train, everyone had to train.
Rey flies better than everyone, she shoots better than the troopers who are trained at warfare, she's immediately competent at mounting the gunner seat of the Falcon, and all this ON FIRST TRY. Then she beats Luke in a sword fight, she beats Kylo at a sword fight, she gains her mind powers on a whim, she immediately knows how to control the force WAAAAAAAAAY better than Luke ever did and Luke had TO TRAIN VERY HARD with Yoda. Luke only managed to lift a tiny x-wing ship after excessive training with master yoda. How can you try to tell me Rey is just good at some things. SHE'S BETTER IN EVERY WAY. Not to mention she picks up on Chewbacca's lingo over the course of like a few days and tries to school Luke on what he's saying??? HOW? Luke knows Chewie for waaaay longer. She is a goddess with infinite power and understanding, and she can barely keep up.

- "Does the rest of the movie happen in real-time?" Not sure if you are serious asking this question, but I'll give a response regardless. Finn and Rose just showing up in the cave after having one drag the other across a massive desert flat in so little time, is an error in continuity editing. This is why you hire and editor, and if this error occurs there is nothing your subjective feelings can do about it. There are several of these throughout the film, but I'd say this one is the most severe. Others are more specific, like when one scene in the raddus in the captain's bridge with Poe vs Holdo, and then cut away to other plotline, only to cut back later to Poe vs Holdo in the transport bay, of all places. No context is given. Then later cutback to bridge again. This isn't as much an error as it is just an odd choice of backdrop without explanation.

- Leia pulling off a superman move was thanks to the Force, yes, I knew that. Thank you for pointing that out, but where is your rebuttal? I'll just add more as to why many experiences dissonance while watching this event take place. Firstly, what the hell? Why can Leia use such an unbelievably specific and arguably very powerful ability? Where did she get the "training"? There has been hints in the previous movies that she did have a connection to the force, but only slightly. She seemed reluctant to interact with it. But now, I guess because of dire circumstances, she pulls out the strongest and most potent use of the Force to date. Not only that but she manages to fly straight back into a ship's space hatch that is passing by. This is very, very convenient. And then she opens said hatch, OPENS IT. The hatch is open, into space. >>>>>space. How come didn't she get blown back out with space sucking out the air? How did no one in the ship die? The hatch is open. OPEN. SPACE IS RIGHT THERE. Why is everyone just helping her in while the hatch open, staring at them, and why is the movie not portraying space as it should? Why? Actually, nvm.

- "Meanwhile, people can and do change dramatically in real life, in far less time, so why is it so surprising in fiction?" Because character's changing is usually justified through writing the character, you know, characterization, and all that? Bad writing usually makes use of stock figures that serve the plot, and Luke is just that. Nothing changed him, because there is nothing that justifies his change, nothing. If you consider his background, what the movie feels is good enough to change Luke to a coward that tries murder his own nephew in his sleep, turns his back on the Force, is not enough. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Luke was all about the force, he fought against the TWO MOST EVIL VILLAINS IN THE SAGA. Kylo is small fry compared. And yet, poor old Mark Hamill has to read out his lines and act out the script. Luke has been obliterated, 'cause it's fiction, and people change. Nullifying everything that happened in the Original Trilogy. Go watch some clips of Mark Hamill on TLJ, and you'll see that even the actor who plays Luke disagrees with the movie. This isn't some nitpick. In fact, nothing I've lifted about TLJ are nitpicks. Go watch some lines from the OT, where Luke tries to reason with characters about Vader and how he can still turn him and save him from the dark side. Watch him try to convert Vader in person. It does not make sense that Luke Skywalker would lose absolutely all his character traits and become a hermit that gave up on the galaxy that HE FOUGHT TO PROTECT, gave up on the Force knowing that there is the balance, gave up on his friends, essentially just ditching them... No, no, it does not make sense. Luke is dead not only in the movie, but as a character he has been absolutely slaughtered.

- "She came in flying above all the topography, on her own ride." I KNOW. Once again, where is your rebuttal? Rey managed to land on the right side, in the right exact spot, at the exact time when she was needed... How can I not see the strings?

- "Maybe because the leadership wanted her around for some reason we don't know about?"
Once again, I'm not sure if you're joking or not. 1) Phasma is supposed to be dead. Like an entire episode ago. 2) She is arguably one of the big culprits behind the destruction of THE DEATHSTAR. She got herself thrown in a Trash Compactor. How did she get out in time, and, still not knowing that the gigantic Death Star would be destroyed, escape? AND... still have her same position. Fine, whatever. It's fiction.

- No, stop pinning this movie's incompetence on me wanting "desires tickled". I'm not asking for anything unreasonable. I want coherency, I want consistency. I want things to make sense.

- "Because it makes great military sense to try to send out a portion of one's forces to stop something, when one already has a way to tell where it's headed, and there's both a strategic advantage to running it out of gas, and the possibility of planning an ambush?"
What? Did you pay attention to what happened in this movie at all? Okay, okay. 1)They never ambushed them.. So that possibility isn't up for debate because it wasn't part of the strategy in the movie. 2) What happens when the ship runs out of "gas"? Does it slow down? Why does the Raddus slow down because of not having enough gas in this film? Why? They are in bloody space. There is no gravity. MOMENTUM. What exactly is going on here? The entire film is a stupid chase scene that could've ended way earlier if the actual characters living and breathing in that universe, actually knew how SPACE worked... It's just fiction. 3) The Raddus is being chased by at least TEN Star destroyers. Each one can send out hundreds of Tiefighters that could easily bombard the "defenseless" Raddus. But no, they just stay put... and chill. Why though? Whatever "what if" strategies you have come up with... never took place in the film. So what was the point? Which is funny, because in one of the earlier lines in the movie Hux asks something very similar, "What is the point of all this? We can't blow up three tiny cruisers?" Then x arbitrary explanation as to why they can't destroy the cruisers (including the excuse that the cruisers have shields, which gets completely ignored later on when Kylo attacks The Raddus and destroys the bridge with Leia in it. No shields?) and Hux goes and says stuff including this line, "Keep up the barrage." Eh, idk. The more I talk about this film, the worse it gets.

- No, this film made no sense. I'm sure you can still mold it into something "meaningful, but that would require a lot of overlooking and stretching. But you seem to have missed a lot, including the fact that Snoke was killed by Kylo, not Rey. Thought this was clear. I can pretty much rest my case. You probably missed a bunch of other stuff as well. But I won't use that against you. I'll just stop.
You seem to argue that it's all flow-y and malleable, which just seems like you don't want to find common ground with me. I think I'll just stop here.

Apr 15, 2018 4:07 PM
Aug 2013
thank you for informing me OP, I'll stop watching anything Production IG from now on
Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first.
Apr 15, 2018 4:08 PM

Aug 2009
I guess if you want to see it that way. I don't see why an anime studio would want to politicize its content and try to alienate part its audience to push their own agenda. I don't agree with your opinion as I don't feel like it would be very financially viable and feminism is not really a mainstream thing in Japan to the point where creators would consciously go out their way to promote it.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 15, 2018 5:35 PM

May 2009
DodgeOffset said:
[giant pile of words]
Okay, look, frankly speaking, we're looking at this two different ways.

I'm looking back at this film and I say, yeah, this film has coherent thematic elements that follow a sensible dramatic progression, this film tells a reasonably interesting story about the characters, and this film succeeds at wanting to make me enjoy more of the Star Wars universe -- something that the other Star Wars film I've seen (Episode III) actually failed to do. I want to see how the Resistance gets back on its feet, I want to see more of what Rey does, I want to see more of Broom Boy (whose name I think is Temiri Blagg), and so on. It'll be quite interesting to see how the Resistance goes about making and accumulating new allies. And I look forward to this.

You're looking back at this film and you're basically going, this film defies such-and-such precedents and ignores context as established in prior movies, disobeys such-and-such rules and laws and conventions, is inconsistent with your previous understanding of the movie's fictional universe (as defined by preceding works), and as a result doesn't make sense.

Fundamentally, you're looking for "more of the same", while I'm not (in part because I don't really have a "same" to look for).

Yes, I get that you didn't enjoy the movie. Incidentally:
DodgeOffset said:
The more I talk about this film, the worse it gets.
I've found that this tends to happen -- the more I talk about a thing I didn't like, the more I seem to discover/realize more things I didn't like about it, the more I find elements that justify my dislike.

Anyway, maybe you were looking to "find common ground" in the sense of having someone give you a satisfactory re-explanation of the story through the details and mechanics of the universe, by connecting the events of Episode VIII to said prior works. I'm sorry, I can't offer you that, as I haven't seen said prior works.

Maybe you could then argue that I don't have sufficient basis to judge the quality of this movie, but this would itself open another giant can of worms, such as arguing that all those people who gave the PSO2 anime series a poor score without having actually played the game it's related to shouldn't have scored the series (which was far better-appreciated by the Japanese fanbase who actually played the game, particularly because it actually tied into and heavily referenced said game, which lacks a western release.). Besides, it's not like Episode VIII was made solely for existing fans of the Star Wars franchise only, and no one else.

On a sidenote:

DodgeOffset said:
Funny that you would use the word "fanfiction", which is pretty much what this film is at this point.
basically everything aside from maybe the original trilogy is essentially this. It's just building on top of existing stories within a fictional universe. And indeed, I've seen longtime fans complain similarly about the prequel trilogy, how it doesn't mesh with the original trilogy for a variety of reasons.
GlennMagusHarveyApr 15, 2018 5:40 PM
Apr 15, 2018 5:46 PM

Mar 2008
The fact that girls with guns is considered a genre in Japan pretty much shows it's just a fetishization of strong females not some feminist thing.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

» Anticipated Spring 2024 anime

ani2016 - Mar 13

16 by Pengawas »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

110 by himegal »»
25 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
33 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.