Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2018 10:04 AM

Nov 2017
so i'm a really big fan of boxing anime or sports anime around the corner. I've seen Hajime no Ippo, Slow Step and Ring ni Kakero.
and with megalo box coming up i'm pretty hyped up to watch it but it says 50th anniversary of Ashita no Joe. Considering Joe's is from 70s should i watch it. and also what are the similarities of both these shows.
Apr 9, 2018 10:17 AM

Apr 2016
You've watched all these boxing anime but not the best of them? You should watch Ashita no Joe. Megalo Box is a spiritual successor to Ashita no Joe.
Apr 9, 2018 10:18 AM

Aug 2014
I don't know how you can call yourself a big fan of boxing anime and not watch/read Ashita no Joe. Heads up though it's more character drama than something like Ippo. But you listed Slow Step so you probably wouldn't mind.

Can't really compare to Megalo Box yet since there's only been one episode out. So far the only similarity is some of the characters, but I can see them trying to hit the same themes later on.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 9, 2018 10:20 AM

Jun 2014
It's up to you.

I'm one of the biggest old school Anime fans here, but I haven't watched Ashita no Joe. I personally believe that people are over-hyping it, and now I fear that if I watch it, I'll hate it, so I'm avoiding it.

Apr 9, 2018 10:20 AM
Aug 2014
Certainly. Ashita no Joe is literally the greatest sports drama in anime. Even well-regarded stuff like Ping Pong can't hope to match up to it.
Apr 9, 2018 10:24 AM

May 2015
Yes you should. There aren't many similarities between Ashita no Joe and Hajime no Ippo as they approach the sport differently.
Ashita no Joe is not just a boxing anime but a coming of age story in a poor and hostile environment.

However I see plenty of similarity between the characters with Megalo Box
Joe = Junk Dog
Yuuri = Rikiishi
Shirato = Shiraki
Nanbu = Danpei
with some differences in relationship.

Second season of Ashita no Joe has much better animation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 10:28 AM

Oct 2015
Yes you should. It is the greatest sports drama in this medium. And like what Kona said, even Ping Pong which is highly regarded is no match for Ashita no Joe.

But mind you, Ashita no Joe is more about as a coming-of-age story than a hyped up boxing matches. It's a tale of growing up in a harsh environment. And Joe is one of the best protagonist this medium has.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Apr 9, 2018 10:31 AM

May 2014
Yes, definitely, it's one of the greatest sports-drama anime, if not greatest anime of all time.
Apr 9, 2018 10:31 AM

Feb 2015
Damn, you even watched Ring ni Kakero? Then you really need watch Joe, you will probably like it a lot.
Apr 9, 2018 10:32 AM

Nov 2017
QuattroVaginas said:
I don't know how you can call yourself a big fan of boxing anime and not watch/read Ashita no Joe. Heads up though it's more character drama than something like Ippo. But you listed Slow Step so you probably wouldn't mind.

Can't really compare to Megalo Box yet since there's only been one episode out. So far the only similarity is some of the characters, but I can see them trying to hit the same themes later on.

really sorry to mention it but yes i have read all 20 volumes of the manga
i'm only talking about the anime here
Apr 9, 2018 10:34 AM

Oct 2015
HILrebellion said:
QuattroVaginas said:

really sorry to mention it but yes i have read all 20 volumes of the manga
i'm only talking about the anime here
Wait, if you've already read it, why are you asking if you should watch the anime?

It's a group set of as friends, it's not just us.

Apr 9, 2018 10:36 AM

Jan 2013
Yes, without a doubt. It's got such an atmosphere I'd describe to be the best out of any anime ever. It's the first masterpiece I've truly deemed so.
Apr 9, 2018 10:37 AM

Nov 2017

[/quote]Wait, if you've already read it, why are you asking if you should watch the anime?[/quote]
@-Lofn-

it's from the 70s
haven't really seen anything before 90s
it's a new playing field and i don'y know anything about the animation of that era
Apr 9, 2018 10:40 AM

Oct 2015
HILrebellion said:

@-Lofn-
it's from the 70s
haven't really seen anything before 90s
it's a new playing field and i don'y know anything about the animation of that era
I'm just saying, you know the whole story, you know the iconic ending, why even bother if you want to watch Ashita no Joe because of Megalo Box if you know it already. You are even asking for the similarities.

Apr 9, 2018 10:40 AM

Nov 2017
Klad said:
Yes, without a doubt. It's got such an atmosphere I'd describe to be the best out of any anime ever. It's the first masterpiece I've truly deemed so.

yes and i have to agree with you
it has become an inspiration for not only boxing manga but also sports and shonen series out there
Apr 9, 2018 10:42 AM

Jun 2014
Well, I wasn't going to watch this Anime before, and now I know that I'm definitely never going to watch it.

Apr 9, 2018 10:54 AM

Nov 2017
[/quote]I'm just saying, you know the whole story, you know the iconic ending, why even bother if you want to watch Ashita no Joe because of Megalo Box if you know it already. You are even asking for the similarities.[/quote]

@-Lofn- since you really like an expert on the series who has seen both manga and anime ( i'm guessing )
i'll ask you does the anime live up to the manga ??
i'll go as far as to take in the not-so-good animation of that time but is the music/coloring/backgrounds/pacing all the same or they've spiced things up a bit
Apr 9, 2018 10:56 AM

Jul 2011
No, you arent forced.
If you want to watch it just do it, if you dont want then dont do it.
Apr 9, 2018 10:59 AM
Dec 2016
Yeah you should. It's very good.
Just make sure to watch until episode 52, the rest was adapted again by the 80s sequel.
Apr 9, 2018 12:12 PM
Aug 2016
How can you call yourself a big fan of boxing anime without having seen Ashita no Joe? :^I
Apr 9, 2018 12:48 PM

Feb 2010
HILrebellion said:
so i'm a really big fan of boxing anime or sports anime around the corner. I've seen Hajime no Ippo, Slow Step and Ring ni Kakero.
and with megalo box coming up i'm pretty hyped up to watch it but it says 50th anniversary of Ashita no Joe. Considering Joe's is from 70s should i watch it. and also what are the similarities of both these shows.

where did you watch ring ni kakero? did they finally sub the remaining episodes? Or did you watch them raw? or only the first seasons?

I've been waiting for that franchise to be fullly subbed for years now :/

also ashita no joe is an amazing anime, and if you like boxing you should really give it a try.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 9, 2018 12:49 PM

Nov 2016
I came for the boxing,stayed for the character drama.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 9, 2018 1:03 PM

Aug 2010
watching shows made in the 80s are too brutal to absorb, i cant imagine watching things from the 70s is worth doing
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Apr 9, 2018 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
You can't call yourself a boxing anime fan until you've watched both of the Ashita no Joe anime.
Apr 9, 2018 1:06 PM

Feb 2010
lunaticsrus said:
watching shows made in the 80s are too brutal to absorb, i cant imagine watching things from the 70s is worth doing

wtf are you talking about? 'too brutal to absorb'? what does that even mean?
Apr 9, 2018 1:51 PM

Aug 2010
Pullman said:
lunaticsrus said:

overly slow paced with poor animation and overall poor art
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Apr 9, 2018 2:00 PM

Feb 2010
lunaticsrus said:
Pullman said:

overly slow paced with poor animation and overall poor art

yeah, no. That's one of the worst and least factual generalizations about 80s anime I've ever seen. You couldn't be more wrong.
Apr 9, 2018 2:03 PM

Aug 2013
If you've gone through the trouble of watching, let along finding Ring Ni Kakero AND Slow Step, you're clearly someone who would love ANJ.
Apr 11, 2018 6:13 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.
Apr 12, 2018 4:22 PM

Apr 2014
A work like no other
themanualreader@proton.me
Nov 8, 2018 5:26 PM
Feb 2016
Mr_Sakata said:

late to reply, but simply, YES. no explanation needed. the series is that good

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Karusan - Nov 22, 2011

71 by johneaston »»
Apr 12, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 25 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 15, 2014

15 by adoedem »»
Apr 6, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 69 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 17, 2014

17 by berzherk_ »»
Apr 2, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 40 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 16, 2014

21 by Marie333 »»
Mar 23, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 50 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 16, 2014

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 3, 12:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.