Forums
New
Apr 9, 2018 10:01 AM
Aug 2017
Not as stylish as the game.
Shinmurai-kuNSep 30, 2018 12:57 PM
Apr 9, 2018 11:27 AM

Jan 2018
i couldn't agree more, even for an outsider, the incipit of the story just from the first episode isn't layed out well enough
Ueno best girL

Apr 10, 2018 9:18 PM
Dec 2016
As someone that's never played a persona game or watched a persona anime the first episode made little sense and had little entertainment value. I'm going to try out the next episode because I want to like it, but My expectations are low. Next episode really has to blow me away.
Apr 10, 2018 9:26 PM

Nov 2016
The Persona Anime Adaptation Often have weird pacing thar doesn't feel like the game at all. I got used to it While watching Persona 4 the Animation. I still don't wanna watch the Persona 3 Anime Movies because I know they will F* it up or at least be meh
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2018 6:15 PM

Jul 2012
Not quite without any style, it's just that the game looks that gorgeous all the way with its cellshading greatness.

The quality thus far is very on pair with the quality we got in the in-game animated sequences, it's just that the whole artistic choice for the game doesn't really work too well in 2D, even in the game's cutscenes, compared to what we get outside them.

To be honest, like this is pretty good already, it's just lacking some polishing, much like when Persona 4 the animation came out... and also some extra minutes for this first episode, as the transition by the end felt a bit rushed.

But again, the BD for Persona 4 fixed both of these problems also present in that adaptation (director's cut EP1 AND quite some beautiful final touches to the animation overall), maybe it will be the same here.
Apr 16, 2018 2:41 PM
Dec 2017
Yeah the visuals compared to the game are hot garbage, but at least they're still competent (mostly; there was one scene where I really wondered how it got past all the staff at A-1)
Apr 16, 2018 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
The art style change is pretty jarring, and so is the change in the color palette- first episode visuals were passable, but the second... ughhhh. Some character shots look okay, and others look like messes. I mean, I should appreciate its existence but... ummm....

I do prefer IG’s game cutscenes. They were very well drawn and animated, I wish Atlus had given the rights to IG, they not only tend to do adaptations justice, they also are better at animating overall.
Apr 16, 2018 4:56 PM

May 2017
Wrong studio.

Persona 5's adaptation deserved the time and effort put in to it that made the game such a stylish delight.

It feels rushed.
Apr 21, 2018 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
I mean granted it has something but I wouldn't necessarily call it "no style" since it does have something that intrigues me. I won't go and play the game considering the circumstances plus going through an LP will take me a lot of time to do so, but as far as I've gotten from the anime it's actually enjoyable. At least it's getting me engaged but, I'll say the very least on that.

Could it be better? Yeah, but it's still solid based on what I've seen and I really dig the characters and the nature of the series so, I do like it so.
Apr 21, 2018 7:07 PM

Jul 2009
No effort. Lazy, cheap corner-cutting animation and effects, the voice actors and actresses sound like they're totally phoning it in, the writing is incredibly dry and devoid of sense, and ultimately it's 17 minutes of filler until something "interesting" happens to reach a crescendo and tricks you into wanting to watch the next episode. This is not only a passionless cash-in on a popular, trending game, but in a nutshell what's wrong with a lot of newer titles.
Apr 22, 2018 9:02 AM

May 2015
Afloo said:
The Persona Anime Adaptation Often have weird pacing thar doesn't feel like the game at all. I got used to it While watching Persona 4 the Animation. I still don't wanna watch the Persona 3 Anime Movies because I know they will F* it up or at least be meh

I find the Persona 3 movies really really good and Persona 3 is my favourite game of all time.
Apr 23, 2018 12:37 AM
Jun 2017
A-1 pictures, what have you've done
Fire Emblem anime when
Apr 23, 2018 1:05 AM
Nov 2016
TJHooker said:
As someone that's never played a persona game or watched a persona anime the first episode made little sense and had little entertainment value. I'm going to try out the next episode because I want to like it, but My expectations are low. Next episode really has to blow me away.

>not playing the game
>expecting to understand the animation, which was made for fans of the game.

ok?

Apr 23, 2018 6:38 AM
Dec 2016
Zephaas said:

>not playing the game

ok?

I'd been told by many that playing the game wasn't necessary to watch that anime. Also, you know the show has issues if it's literally just a retelling the games story and can't stand on its own.
Apr 23, 2018 8:42 AM
Nov 2016
TJHooker said:
Zephaas said:

>not playing the game

ok?

I'd been told by many that playing the game wasn't necessary to watch that anime. Also, you know the show has issues if it's literally just a retelling the games story and can't stand on its own.

Why would a story change be needed? It wouldn’t be Persona 5 if it didn’t follow the same story.

Instead of complaining, please use your brain.

Apr 23, 2018 12:14 PM
Dec 2016
Zephaas said:

Why would a story change be needed? It wouldn’t be Persona 5 if it didn’t follow the same story.

I bet you can't point out where I said the story needed to be changed because I didn't say that. My point is that the despite the fact that anime is retelling the game's story, but they can't make it friendly to anime onlys. It's pretty sad. The game is fine at selling itself to newcomers, the anime should be the same.
Apr 23, 2018 8:03 PM
Nov 2016
TJHooker said:
Zephaas said:

I bet you can't point out where I said the story needed to be changed because I didn't say that. My point is that the despite the fact that anime is retelling the game's story, but they can't make it friendly to anime onlys. It's pretty sad. The game is fine at selling itself to newcomers, the anime should be the same.

Why should it be different though?

Apr 23, 2018 9:07 PM
Dec 2016
[quote=Zephaas
Why should it be different though? [/quote]

In my opinion it shouldn't be different, it should be as close to the same as possible.
Apr 24, 2018 1:34 AM

Dec 2017
Well, of course it's going to be difficult adapting a game that's over a hundred hours long into a 24 episode series. That being said though, think of the anime as a nice add on to the main Persona 5 story. A nice, stand alone series to add a bit more extra to the fans of the game who want to re-experience the main story in a different way. This anime should not be considered a replacement for the main experience of the story at all, but rather a nice addition. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about it not being a completely 100 percent faithful replacement/adaption when it shouldn't be one. I mean of course it's never going to fully replace the original game, but I personally don't think it necessarily needs to, as it's the type of story that should be experienced the way it was intended to be.
Apr 24, 2018 1:41 AM

Jun 2013
Tought i was the only one, While watching the episode 3 i asked myself why the people praised so much the game, Mostly because i don't know anything about persona and the anime made it look predictable
Apr 24, 2018 11:55 AM
Sep 2016
Zephaas said:
TJHooker said:

>not playing the game

ok?

If it's the same story then that's being adapted that badly then it simply means the anime is bad...simple.

Danganronpa 3 is when the anime was literally meant for the people who had played the games because it was an anime original prequel+sequel to the story you find in the games (and light novel)

You can just say the game is better than what people are seeing in the anime and shouldn't judge the entire franchise based on what they get from the anime
(e.g, Danganronpa the animation, the Fate series, Dies Irae, Grisaia, Chaos; Child etc have people placing judgement on the franchise as a whole without knowing anything about the source material)
(same happens with manga and LNs ...cough Tokyo ghoul cough)

The best case scenarios in these cases are someone new gets interested enough to go checkout the source material.

But a meh anime adaption could also have the effect of making someone totally lose interest in the franchise or super cautious of the source material's "quality" (in whatever aspect)

(admittedly this has made me less interested in Persona but I'm trying not to let it totally kill my prior interest in the series before the anime was announced)

All that said...the source material doesn't excuse the anime from its own merits and demerits so we should at least work on putting that bias aside a little bit.
1.1.Six
Apr 24, 2018 5:55 PM
Nov 2016
JudoJD said:
Zephaas said:

>not playing the game

ok?

If it's the same story then that's being adapted that badly then it simply means the anime is bad...simple.

Danganronpa 3 is when the anime was literally meant for the people who had played the games because it was an anime original prequel+sequel to the story you find in the games (and light novel)

You can just say the game is better than what people are seeing in the anime and shouldn't judge the entire franchise based on what they get from the anime
(e.g, Danganronpa the animation, the Fate series, Dies Irae, Grisaia, Chaos; Child etc have people placing judgement on the franchise as a whole without knowing anything about the source material)
(same happens with manga and LNs ...cough Tokyo ghoul cough)

The best case scenarios in these cases are someone new gets interested enough to go checkout the source material.

But a meh anime adaption could also have the effect of making someone totally lose interest in the franchise or super cautious of the source material's "quality" (in whatever aspect)

(admittedly this has made me less interested in Persona but I'm trying not to let it totally kill my prior interest in the series before the anime was announced)

All that said...the source material doesn't excuse the anime from its own merits and demerits so we should at least work on putting that bias aside a little bit.

Video game adaptations rarely work and it was quite obvious from the start that this adaptation wouldn’t be an exception.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

143 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 15, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

40 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 14, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

32 by ArctiKFox »»
Apr 14, 11:14 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 13 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

6 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 21, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Persona 5 the Animation Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

4 by ArctiKFox »»
Feb 16, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.