Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2018 3:26 PM
Aug 2011
Oh I like their voices.
I'm not even going to compare this to the source because that would be doing the manga a great disservice. Not even going to bitch about the 12 ep count unlike Piano no Mori because this one is still on-going. If anything it'll be interesting to see how they plan to wrap this story up.
I'm just going to watch for Asirpa and all my other stupid boys. :3

That bear i'm getting UKOCANUPKOR flashbacks, but yeah those bears. WHAT.
Apr 9, 2018 3:32 PM
Oct 2012
I thought it was pretty good. It doesn't have any pacing issues for one which a lot of adaptions seem to have.
They made a mistake choosing that style of cgi for the bear lol. If they tried making it look 2D it would be better, even if it looks a little cheap. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the show so it ends up distracting.

I like the voice acting, can't wait for the funny moments.
Apr 9, 2018 3:37 PM

Jun 2014
Well aside from the fucking horrendous CGI animals, I liked this episode. The story seems pretty interesting so I'm going to enjoy this ride. It sucks that it's only 12 episodes, especially since the premise kind of reminds me of One Piece. A story like that will obviously not be fully adapted in one cour (then again that would probably also be the case even if it was, let's say, 25 episodes), so hopefully this gets more seasons later on (but let's just focus on this one for right now).

GangsterCat said:
is that the legendary Kaiji's narrator in the preview?

Yep, there's no mistaking it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 9, 2018 3:42 PM

Sep 2011
Weird bear CG aside... this was really interesting :o I'm totally on-board for this, and probably gonna have to do a nice wiki-dive when I get the chance. Is it weird that I love when my media makes me want to learn stuff?
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 9, 2018 3:48 PM

May 2015
one of the few new shows this season I've actually liked so far...but yeah that bear lol
Apr 9, 2018 3:49 PM

Apr 2007
matheoo41 said:
Weird CGI aside, I find the ending song pretty unfitting.
I have a feeling I've already seen a character similar to Asirpa somewhere, that young female orphan skilled fighter, telling others what to do type. The only one that springs to mind now is Madlax, but that's not it. As somebody said earlier, I would love to see the series get 24 eps, cause it will probably be hard to exploit the story in just 12.

Are you thinking of her?
https://myanimelist.net/character/65445/Qiang_Lei

Good first episode.
Apr 9, 2018 3:56 PM

Feb 2016
Holy shit, I've never seen such a terrible bear like that, the CGI was really awful.

That aside, the story is interesting, if they stop using CGI like that, this will be a good anime.

no, seriously, I don't understand, why making CGI bear when they have a decent 2d animation? not even the Heralds from Kokkoku looked this bad.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 9, 2018 4:03 PM

Mar 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
code73 said:
huh? Alternative history?, ever heard of Russo - japanese war?

Never heard of soldiers outnumbering one injured soldier to six (who miraculously missed him for about 2 seconds of continued shooting), suddenly losing any coherence of what they are doing and being thrown around like dirt. This, is alternate history. And this, is a shame for art.

How about being outnumbered 132 to 1 and still winning? Or 150+ to 1? Look up Alvin York and Lachhiman Gurung, who received the Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross, respectively.
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 9, 2018 4:03 PM

May 2015
It was great and all for a first episode, but the CGI of the bear in particular was too distracting.... I've seen a lot of CGI, but this ones takes a whole new level of hideous. It felt like they pasted a real life bear in a cartoon. Didn't blend with the 2D animation, at all.

But um, aside from that, looking forward to more.

Apr 9, 2018 4:04 PM

Mar 2015
Great first episode! Its going to seriously trigger PETA and that alone is enough for a 5/5 from me.
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 9, 2018 4:20 PM

Dec 2017
i love the first episode already, straight to the action. and they’re put the bloody scene blunt enough. Sugimoto personality is pretty good, like very serious and intimidating but can be entertaining and nice as well, i guess living as a soldier who lives in the harsh environment after the war is pretty rough. and his promise with his friend is what makes me interested, they are such a bro for taking care his wife, and keep his promise.

the artstyle is fine, they seems didnt want to take the risk with the fireplace, it’s very realistic it’s almost unsettling. well it’s Geno Studio, a fairly new studio. giving such a great manga to a fairly new studio is already questionable itself, but they seems do fine with Kokkoku and this episode

as for the bear, well, i watched full 2 season of Berserk so this kind of CG is not enough to make me hate it. i don’t even care as long as they not using it excessively

can’t wait for the next episode
Apr 9, 2018 4:52 PM

Apr 2016
it was a very nice first episode, I'll definitely be continuing with it!
the animation wasn't great, but thats something I can overlook because of how interesting it was.
Apr 9, 2018 5:00 PM

Dec 2015
It may have been just me, looking at the other comments it is, but I really didn't like this first episode. I was looking forward to reading the manga too since a lot of people recommended it to me -_-

The obvious thing to say is that I didn't like the bear just like everybody else. Though the wolf and the fireplace were also pretty bad in my opinion. The artstyle they're going with is also a little clanky.
Besides that, the conversation between Sugimoto and Asirpa seemed dumb to me.
They have one conversation and suddenly Sugimoto completely trusts Asirpa and only wants a small part of the treasure. (That's all I remember from that scene, excuse me if I'm wrong)
(Me nitpicking) Btw I don't know much about this show, I haven't seen the manga so I don't really know what's going on, but how can Asirpa (she doesn't really look strong or anything) pull Sugimoto from under that brown bear? It was a really big one and is probably at least 700kg's. She's also half the size of Sugimoto. She could be just like Konayuki from Katanagatari, who knows.

Still going to watch a few more episodes though.
18-07-19

31-08-20
Apr 9, 2018 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty underwhelming/boring first episode, find the first chapter of the manga to be more enjoyable than the first episode.
Apr 9, 2018 5:41 PM

Aug 2016
the graphics disappointed me i expected it to be more better but it ended up meh (CGI in particular).

Daniel_Naumov said:
Never heard of soldiers outnumbering one injured soldier to six (who miraculously missed him for about 2 seconds of continued shooting), suddenly losing any coherence of what they are doing and being thrown around like dirt. This, is alternate history. And this, is a shame for art.

unrealistic combat does NOT mean it's alternative history, dude.
Apr 9, 2018 5:55 PM
Sep 2016
I was reading its manga a few months ago and I found it really catchy
Apr 9, 2018 6:04 PM

Oct 2013
Intense from the get-go. The historical setting is right up my alley, also with the placing of the story in Hokkaido and including Ainu lore. Hooked me with the atmosphere from already.
Apr 9, 2018 6:14 PM
Jul 2014
SeoRunge said:
One of the few anime where I've read the manga first.
I was so afraid I wasn't going to like it since the studio did Kokukku but...
It's ok. Apart from the awful cgi, it's ok.

I'm probably going to read some chapters again along the way.

Interested to hear about anime-only viewers!!
Kokukoku was good.
Apr 9, 2018 6:15 PM
Jul 2014
YorukaWaifu said:
Meh, this is as boring as I thought it was going to be. Drop.
If you're gonna have negative thoughts from the beginning, then it's gonna stay negative for you. Peace.
Apr 9, 2018 6:19 PM

Feb 2012
Holy fuck when he turned to his best friend and he was missing all his limbs. Good first episode. Interesting story and a main character I really like so far. Looking forward to see how this one turns out. Like everyone mentioned already that CG bear looked terrible lol.
Apr 9, 2018 6:20 PM
Oct 2017
this nigga really punched a bear in the face nigga wtf lol
Apr 9, 2018 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
It was alright first episode. The violence wasn't my liking though. Nice to see the production quality was better and vivid than Kokkoku (kinda have the Manglobe quality feelings from the new studio) especially the character designs were catchy but that CGI Bear looked so dreadful!! waaa!! D: (the wolf looked pretty though).
Apr 9, 2018 6:37 PM
Apr 2017
Episode 1 in a nutshell

Amazing Episode
Good VA
Good OST
Awful CGI
Apr 9, 2018 6:38 PM

Sep 2012
Sound design is weird for me, some effects sound distant and disjointed, especially during dynamic scenes. I didn't mind CG tbh (dunno why because it was actually bad xD).
Apart from that, not my type of animu. I can't force myself to be interested in what is happening or to care about characters so it's just like the manga. Dropping - not my thing.

Apr 9, 2018 7:00 PM

Dec 2012
That has to be the worst CGI I've seen in anime. The 2D animation wasn't that good either. Pretty disappointing since I had high expectations for this anime... I thought we were gonna get some great action, but now, I'd rather not see any action at all.
Albi-kunApr 9, 2018 7:05 PM
Apr 9, 2018 7:32 PM

Jun 2017
The CG was bad, but at least stomachable unlike Piano no Mori. Still, this was pretty mediocre. Probably going to drop this later if it doesn't get any better.
Apr 9, 2018 7:54 PM
May 2015
this is astonishingly ugly to look at
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 7:58 PM

Jun 2013
Not sure if Asirpa is just short or young or both.

Great intro.
Apr 9, 2018 7:59 PM
Mar 2018
Excluding the awfull cgi, this series could be great, the animation reminded me of FMA brotherhood, and it adapted the manga pretty well
I really hope this could become something special
Apr 9, 2018 8:13 PM

Aug 2015
That bear...cringe
Apr 9, 2018 8:22 PM
May 2015
good lord and the ending is just still credits.. not even a still image to go along with it.

even if i completely ignore the CGI bears (who take up half the episode) that was some of the most shamelessly lazy animation I've ever laid eyes upon. the backgrounds were awful, repetitive, and lacking in detail. A few were just filtered photos. The wolf CGi was lame too. The fires were literally just real life images of fire. The cuts were clunky and overly zoomed in. The lineart and coloring is bare bones. OST added nothing to the show.

breathtakingly bad stuff
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 8:23 PM
Mar 2018
-Trippwire- said:
Not sure if Asirpa is just short or young or both.

Great intro.

iirc she's only 13 years old when the manga started
Apr 9, 2018 8:23 PM

Jun 2016
Why would they do a CGI bear? Wouldn't that be more effort than just drawing a bear?
Aside from that, the plot seemed fairly interesting and the art was pretty nice, though the animation was a bit lacking in some places, specifically the fight scenes.

Daniel_Naumov said:
So the first 2 minutes was enough to see that this is another alternative history. O-k-a-not-y. I think this was the fastest? Records, records... I discourage anyone wasting their time on this excessively valueless animation.

Aren't you that guy who was complaining about the April Fool's thing because it ruined your "muh asthetik" profile?
Apr 9, 2018 8:33 PM
Apr 2017
If you like historical and traditional stuffs, good humor, lots of brutal action (tho it was toned down in the anime), good plot story and twists, and good food, yes good food, this is for you. If not go watch osoma animes lololol just kidding. But srsly, I've read the manga and it's good. Am hoping for a proper anime adaptation. (let's just look over the bear cg)
Apr 9, 2018 8:44 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good first episode.

I don't really have much to say but I like this idea of searching for the gold and the story of the prisoners was pretty interesting. Is this one part of the series or is the whole series about searching for this treasure, either way I think I'll like it.
Apr 9, 2018 8:55 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
KingKatsura said:
good lord and the ending is just still credits.. not even a still image to go along with it.
It's only for the first episode. There's a lot of series that play the OP at the end of the first episode, without any visuals. Then they reveal the OP visuals in the next episode. An example of that would be BokuMachi.

KingKatsura said:
the backgrounds were awful, repetitive, and lacking in detail.
The background are for stylistic purposes, replicating the manga.
Though some shots did look too simplistic for its own good. Of course the backgrounds would be repetitive. The entire episode took place in a snowy forest where there are only trees and nothing else.

KingKatsura said:
The wolf CGi was lame too. The fires were literally just real life images of fire.
I wish they hand-drawn the wolf. Considering it's short scene, they could've avoided the CG. And they even had it hand-drawn when it was howling too. As for the fire, it's basically the same CG as the bear. photorealistic renderings of the texture and in-between frame animations causes it to look like that.

KingKatsura said:
The cuts were clunky and overly zoomed in. The lineart and coloring is bare bones.
The zoom-ins are used to emphasize character expressions. And they also tend to be the moments when the character art is on-point.

KingKatsura said:
OST added nothing to the show.
Eh, idk about that though. The music used when the first inmate was talking about the hidden gold was pretty nice. Same goes for the OST at the end when Sugimoto gave his offer to Asirpa.

Lelouch0202 said:
Pretty good first episode.

I don't really have much to say but I like this idea of searching for the gold and the story of the prisoners was pretty interesting. Is this one part of the series or is the whole series about searching for this treasure, either way I think I'll like it.
The entire series is basically a tattoo hunt, though the manga has changed up its direction a bit in the recent chapters.
Apr 9, 2018 9:01 PM
Jan 2016
That's unexpectedly weak writing. Too much unnecessary talking & explaining, especially the 2nd half. I expected more from the writer. I guess the source material is hard to work with. And honestly, I expected more from the director too. It's definitely a disappointing premiere.

leesunrie said:
If you like historical and traditional stuffs, good humor, lots of brutal action (tho it was toned down in the anime), good plot story and twists, and good food, yes good food, this is for you.

So basically if I like perfect anime, I will like this? Wow. What a praise. Unfortunately the first episode is far from most of the things you mentioned.

gotterdammerung said:
Why would they do a CGI bear? Wouldn't that be more effort than just drawing a bear?
Aside from that, the plot seemed fairly interesting and the art was pretty nice, though the animation was a bit lacking in some places, specifically the fight scenes.

Probably because animating hand-drawn bear is harder than animating CGI bear.
Not only the fight scenes, most of the time the animation was quite poor. Deformed characters every other scene is not good.

KingKatsura said:
The fires were literally just real life images of fire. The cuts were clunky and overly zoomed in.

That's the first bad thing I noticed, the fire. Quite lazy indeed. And the shot compositions were definitely not good. I was expecting better compositions because the director's another work, F G/O First Order, had quite good cinematography. I guess Geno Studio is simply not good enough.
Apr 9, 2018 9:11 PM

Oct 2012
I enjoyed it quite a lot as long as there wasn't a bear or campfire on screen. Holy hell were the bears especially off putting but that's been said like 1000 times by this point. I know the director had to release a statement about it after the episode aired so I hope there is some change in the future because I know this isn't the last time bears appear in this series.

I'm so conflicted on what to think of the episode, hopefully I won't be from here on out. I will read the manga though if the adaption ends up disappointing.
Apr 9, 2018 9:15 PM
Apr 2017
[quote=TheServant]That's unexpectedly weak writing. Too much unnecessary talking & explaining, especially the 2nd half. I expected more from the writer. I guess the source material is hard to work with. And honestly, I expected more from the director too. It's definitely a disappointing premiere.

leesunrie said:
If you like historical and traditional stuffs, good humor, lots of brutal action (tho it was toned down in the anime), good plot story and twists, and good food, yes good food, this is for you.

So basically if I like perfect anime, I will like this? Wow. What a praise. Unfortunately the first episode is far from most of the things you mentioned.

the manga really got a lot of talking. Explaining stuffs and ainu traditions. I'm praising it, yes, cos in my own opinion it's good. Not perfect but by far one of the best seinen ive read. If I'm only an anime watcher, i wouldn't be so hyped about this too so i pretty much understand. But i hope the anime will pick up it's pace soon like how the manga did. Just try watching a few more episodes if you're still willing lolol
Apr 9, 2018 9:25 PM
Feb 2017
The CGI seriously distracted me. That doesn't happen often so it was clearly a bad thing no doubt. Let's just hope that we don't have to deal with that anymore... or at least not too often.

Otherwise, this was a nice start. It's not mindbogglingly crazy and superb just yet but it has time so that's good. I'm liking the concept of this show. The mystery and somewhat gruesome showcase could potentially make this quite the enjoyable ride granted all goes well.

Will it be AOTS for me? I highly doubt it. Megalo Box seems to have more of chance at that. But I am hoping Geno Studio can at least not make me embarrass myself again by calling an anime a MUST WATCH. ^_^
Apr 9, 2018 9:26 PM
Feb 2012
I think I can laugh at the bear because this series is not as serious as it seems. But I wished everything looked better.
Apr 9, 2018 9:37 PM
Sep 2016
Farabeuf said:
The anime of the season is here. Of course people who have To Love Ru as their favorite manga probably wont agree and drop after its first episode, right?

Ow...so this is one of those elitist type of anime...
...OK :(
1.1.Six
Apr 9, 2018 9:38 PM

Dec 2016
The Revenant....
Apr 9, 2018 9:41 PM
Jul 2016
[img] https://aminoapps.com/c/attackontitan-br/page/blog/sobre-o-tita-colossal-em-cgi/wKV8_PxdSoua8pPZG2gBGKxozaZeY7rdjX [/ img]

It is not the first time CGI is a "problem". People need to calm their spirits. lol this does not necessarily make the series bad or doomed to failure.
Apr 9, 2018 9:42 PM

Jul 2017
Ok I guess this is good. The story was good and it was very intense. Only bad thing is that CGI. That is very bad CGI. Very bad CGI.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Apr 9, 2018 10:20 PM
Aug 2017
Why are people overblowing the FUCK out of that CGI bear? Yes, I understand it does not fit in with the atmosphere, but the rest of the episode seemed very solid, and I am looking forward towards the next episode.
Apr 9, 2018 10:53 PM
Sep 2016
I realized that the 3D scene did not correspond at all. I hope they dont continuie to use 3D models in 2D backgrounds, in series such as overlord, the subjects distract you but in golden kamuy the environment is very important.
matiasotakuApr 9, 2018 10:56 PM
Apr 9, 2018 11:01 PM

Jan 2011
just checked this out on a whim since i realized it came out not to long ago, intense start show was quite raw despite not looking that great old man's story was really interesting for what i thought was a one off thing until it turned into the plot.

as everyone has mention CGI bear was pretty wack it just stood out so much being the main focus and clearly them trying to do something different with it that just didn't work out lol.
Apr 9, 2018 11:16 PM

Nov 2015
wow this ep hardly needed any visuals -> given the bear it would be more appreciated without, motion pictures could've worked though well.

Such straightforward show, they said everything they needed to with words, assumed alrdy what their roles are and what they are gonna do, all motivations (unless assumed), cause i didnt feel like Ainu cared about revenge and our mc did talking mostly and interpretation.

Doesn't seem interesting for me,
but w/e its boring is another matter for another eps, this ep didn't bore me much so far.
Apr 9, 2018 11:41 PM

Mar 2014
the animation is unstable cuz ive already felt the low budget on the first ep. the pv was made with great impact though.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2018

91 by XxEMOxKONATAxX »»
Apr 15, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

41 by elviskocho1023 »»
Mar 24, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

24 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 9:24 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 9 Discussion

17 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 8 Discussion

19 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 2:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.