Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 11:15 PM

Jun 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fun way to start off the series! Can't wait to see what other mysteries they'll adapt over the course of the series.

Apr 8, 2018 7:57 AM

Mar 2012
walldotfm said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Fun way to start off the series! Can't wait to see what other mysteries they'll adapt over the course of the series.

Any place with subs? Can't find this anywhere and I'm really excited. I didn't even see this show in the 'seasonal anime' part of the site. Seems really hard to find for such a popular franchise :(
Apr 8, 2018 9:18 AM

Oct 2015
SparkleDuck said:
walldotfm said:

Any place with subs? Can't find this anywhere and I'm really excited. I didn't even see this show in the 'seasonal anime' part of the site. Seems really hard to find for such a popular franchise :(

Same here, I have only found the RAW and I can barely understand anything, it's a shame because I REALLY want to watch this :(
Apr 8, 2018 12:03 PM

Jun 2015
SparkleDuck said:
walldotfm said:

Unfortunately no one has picked it up as of yet and i watched it raw. Was only able to understand 70% of it but understood what happened more or less. Hopefully someone will pick it up soon.

Apr 8, 2018 12:38 PM

Aug 2016
I read that a group was already working on it, but can't confirm anything. Hope a sub version comes out soon!
Apr 8, 2018 6:58 PM

Apr 2015
Though the story seems to be for kids, enjoying the charming voices of Hanazawa Kana is just as enjoyable for adults as well.
She is perfectly acting of Katri, the wise and witty girl.
MeramipopApr 8, 2018 7:13 PM
Apr 8, 2018 9:34 PM

Jun 2015
dott_1 said:
I read that a group was already working on it, but can't confirm anything. Hope a sub version comes out soon!

that's good news... i would love to perhaps create a sub file for it, but will need some time to find out how it works first. Seems like a ton of work! Starting to appreciate sub groups more.

Apr 9, 2018 2:41 AM

Jun 2013
Rideontime said:
Though the story seems to be for kids, enjoying the charming voices of Hanazawa Kana is just as enjoyable for adults as well.
She is perfectly acting of Katri, the wise and witty girl.

She is the reason i want to watch this, Plus i tought this was a popular franchise but we have nothing T-T
Apr 9, 2018 7:53 AM

Jul 2012
dott_1 said:
Thanks for the info! I'll be waiting patiently.
Apr 9, 2018 7:09 PM

Jun 2015
Subs are out. This was a pretty good start for this series. I'm going to enjoy watching this. Katrielle is pretty smart and has nice chemistry with the other characters.
Apr 9, 2018 8:57 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Aww that was quite touching! I knew the agent was his little brother when she noticed the pendant thing on the agent's cuff. But the true mystery was great, it brought tears to my eyes. Great first episode!
Apr 9, 2018 9:15 PM

Jul 2017
holy shit I didn't think I would love this show as much as I have rn
Apr 9, 2018 9:47 PM
Jul 2018
Whoa this was something quite nice comfy show. Katrielle seems like interesting protagonist to me and would love to see her more in action ^_^
Apr 9, 2018 10:40 PM

Aug 2016
Wait. I didn't expect it would become an interesting series.
Apr 9, 2018 11:51 PM

Apr 2016
What a family friendly anime.

Also 50 20+ episodes ? My God ... wish other shows got this treatment.
Apr 10, 2018 12:20 AM
Feb 2017
Kana Hanazawa brought much energy and life to Katrielle. The staff did pick the right person to do her.

Apr 10, 2018 3:01 AM

Dec 2014
This surprisingly was satisfying and fun to watch. Expecting a lot more from this one.
Apr 10, 2018 3:15 AM
Jul 2015
Unfortunately no one has picked it up as of yet and i watched it raw. Was only able to understand 70% of it but understood what happened more or less. Hopefully someone will pick it up soon.[/quote]

Nyaa
perkunos.blogspot.com
Apr 10, 2018 5:14 AM
Mar 2018
Paulo_Goncalves said:
Unfortunately no one has picked it up as of yet and i watched it raw. Was only able to understand 70% of it but understood what happened more or less. Hopefully someone will pick it up soon.

Nyaa[/quote] i found one that has subs. don't know if i can paste links here tho. If you want it you can just send me a pm.
Apr 10, 2018 5:37 AM
Jun 2017
i like this one, even i am thinking of what could be the reason for such disappearance of his family. And i like the idea that they are showing some important hints to the mystery, thats why i have some idea based on it, and some of my ideas were right!!!

LOVE THIS ONE AND IM GONNA WATCH IT!!!
Apr 10, 2018 5:58 AM
Jul 2015
Thijs_Bakker said:
Paulo_Goncalves said:

Nyaa
i found one that has subs. don't know if i can paste links here tho. If you want it you can just send me a pm.
[/quote]

Don't paste - thank you :) I was saying to people to search on nyaa. I've download it. (The quote was from someone else which unfortunally I didn't quote correctly lol
perkunos.blogspot.com
Apr 10, 2018 6:34 AM

Sep 2015
The new Professor Layton anime was pretty good. It is kinda like a friendlier version of Detective Conan, interesting mysteries with episodic storytelling. I enjoy how energetic Katrielle is in the anime compared to the games. It is not really amazing, but definitely a good time. I could do without the fourth-wall breaking, but I can understand somewhat given the demographic of this anime. Maybe there will be an anime adaptation of the seven original Layton games one day. I am crossing my fingers that this anime helps boosts the sales of Layton's Mystery Journey so that more animated Layton content can be made in the future, much like with Yo-kai Watch.
Apr 10, 2018 8:10 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Thats a nice little episode to wake up in the morning.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 10, 2018 10:40 AM

Sep 2015
5 0 e p i s o d e s
Really really good start compared to other shows this season
I'm 100% hyped for this year!!
Apr 10, 2018 11:04 AM

Nov 2016
Another surprise of this season, glad that I picked up this charming and fun show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2018 11:57 AM

Dec 2014
quite a friendly kid's show...I kinda figured out he was the brother...everything else was over my mind... that family dog was quite funny...too think he was the main culprit
Apr 10, 2018 12:14 PM

Jan 2017
This was good, a pleasant surprise. It motivated me to go back and watch the movie that's related to this series from a decade ago - which was also good lol.

The art is so unique.

Apr 10, 2018 2:32 PM

Jun 2014
Finally got to watch this with subs!

Interesting start to the anime! As someone who didn't care for the game, the anime might be decent.

50 episodes though makes me wonder if we will see new content or if they are going to stretch a boring game out that long.
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Apr 10, 2018 5:03 PM

Jul 2015
Aaaaayyyyyy I know nothing about the Professor Layton series so this is my introduction into the series I guess... and it's... 50 episodes long... wasn't expecting that... Glad Katry solved that mystery and they were kind enough to explain that directly to the audience, I would've needed more time. Anyway, episode was good, and I look forward to more.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 10, 2018 5:11 PM

Sep 2012
What a great start! I had my worries that Layton's daugther wouldn't be as much fun as Layton himself, but turned out the other way! I could really enjoy her case solving skills (and her beautiness haha). Either way I'm hyped to see what's to come, maybe we will get a deeper story later, I hope that so much. Also Layton and Luke where teaserd in the OP so I'm excited to see them sooner or later! 8/10
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Apr 10, 2018 8:19 PM

Mar 2012
valoon said:
What a great start! I had my worries that Layton's daugther wouldn't be as much fun as Layton himself, but turned out the other way! I could really enjoy her case solving skills (and her beautiness haha). Either way I'm hyped to see what's to come, maybe we will get a deeper story later, I hope that so much. Also Layton and Luke where teaserd in the OP so I'm excited to see them sooner or later! 8/10

Is this anime going to be added to the 'seasonal' section? When I scroll through the TV section of the Spring 2018 seasonal anime I don't see this one anywhere. I actually didn't find out about it until I seen the seasonal anime chart on AniChart. I figured I would ask you because you're an anime moderator.
Apr 10, 2018 9:46 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
SparkleDuck said:
valoon said:

Is this anime going to be added to the 'seasonal' section? When I scroll through the TV section of the Spring 2018 seasonal anime I don't see this one anywhere. I actually didn't find out about it until I seen the seasonal anime chart on AniChart. I figured I would ask you because you're an anime moderator.
Maybe you checked that case where you hide the kids anime in your seasonal anime ? because it has a kids tag for this one so sometimes its hidden for some people.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 10, 2018 10:09 PM
Jul 2015
Is it wrong that i like it and its made for kids? Lol
Apr 10, 2018 11:00 PM

Nov 2013
50 Episodes is deal breaker. If it got 1 or 2 cours higher chance to keep going. Yeah way too long but I'm still feeling like not dropping it atm.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 10, 2018 11:39 PM

Jun 2015
Rievlyne said:
50 Episodes is deal breaker. If it got 1 or 2 cours higher chance to keep going. Yeah way too long but I'm still feeling like not dropping it atm.

I was shocked at the number of episodes as well... but considering its targeted at children, they can just come up with a case to solve every episode and sprinkle a tiny bit of story dev on the side.. am a huge fan of the game series so i'll keep an eye on it, but not expecting many others to do the same, especially in the middle stages.

Stevewonder07 said:
Is it wrong that i like it and its made for kids? Lol

Kids are the target audience, but don't worry about that too much lol.. a lot of adults and young adults enjoyed the game series (it's a mystery / puzzle game, so generally its meant for all ages)

Apr 11, 2018 12:19 AM

Sep 2016
Wow! Fun, cute and mysterious, this show is quite the watch.

And 50 episodes??? Goddamn that's a lot!

Can't wait for the next 49 episodes to come!
Apr 11, 2018 3:52 AM

Dec 2012
Nice starting of anime.

I just know Layton from the games. Since I didn't follow all the Layton game series, I hope this anime has some story about Professor and his daughter, not only solving the cases after cases for 50 eps TwT, I didn't even Know professor has daughter TwT his daughter so cute.
Apr 11, 2018 8:25 AM

Sep 2012
SparkleDuck said:
valoon said:

Yeah like DatRandomDude said, try checking the kids option, because for me it displays it in the spring seasonals
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Apr 12, 2018 10:12 AM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
The internet hasn't been kind to Katrielle so I was a little sceptic towards this show, but it was really fun and she's quite likable.
The Opening has strongly hinted towards a deeper exploration of her and her father's relationship, so we will probably see more of it down the line.
A very good start indeed.
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Apr 12, 2018 5:11 PM
Jun 2014
Katrielle's personality seems to be the complete opposite compared to the game, I guess for a kids show having her be calm and refined wouldn't be the right choice but I preferred her original personality as it is more fitting for a detective.
Apr 12, 2018 6:54 PM
Feb 2017
I am actually quite shocked at how much I enjoyed this first episode. Sure, it is still more directed at kids. But even so, I'd say that the mystery was well constructed enough and just complex enough that it actually could appeal to older people too. It actually got me scratching my head a bit and I was quite satisfied with the answers to the mystery.

The only thing I didn't really like was when Noah broke the 4th wall near the halfway point of the episode. It kinda broke the immersion that was going so well. I know that's it meant to get kids to interact but I can't help but feel annoyed by that. If they wanted to do that, they should have just done it throughout the entire episode like Dora The Explorer would. I have a feeling that is going to be an ongoing thing though so I'm a bit worried.

That being said, it still is going to be hard deciding on whether or not I want to continuously watch this every week. While it is a good show, there are a lot of shows from this season already and most of them are more suited for a person of my age. ^_^
Apr 13, 2018 9:21 AM

Jul 2016
Layton's daughter looks like an opposite of him, energetic and exaggerated, though he still got the detective and deduction skills of his father. I've played the one of layton's puzzle game years ago, and I really enjoyed the puzzles, mysteries and the music, I hope I'll enjoy this one as well.

Look's like we'll get a Katry's backstory based on the OP where Layton left him.
Apr 15, 2018 5:49 PM

Feb 2013
"The truth is always stranger than fiction".
OH-MY-GOD! <3 <3 OMG omg omg omg omg!!
uuuh, fine .. *deep breathes* .....
Sorry for the over hype, I just didn't expect such enjoyment from this anime.

I decided to watch the anime for two reasons, the European-like art that used in adaptation which something I really really fall in love with and Kana Hanazawa my crush female seiyuu's.

Expected something mischievous with comedy touch that really suits this category of age, my expectations were right but damn, it was ways more than only this.

The characters are amazing, the comedy touch is acceptable and the eye/ear candy are really well made.

Layton is an anime that you can bring the whole family at night, make some popcorn and watch, being sure it's gonna get the attention and excitement of them all.

From now on,I will start to like my Mondays, I totally ship for watching this one.. and this Layton girl gonna be a favorite.
iShamblesApr 15, 2018 5:54 PM
Apr 17, 2018 3:50 AM

Jul 2011
ED is quite spoiler fest (not 50 pictures, but still), I recommend you watch ED on each episode until it shows that case, then skip till Katri's mini corner and next episode review.

-1 for total score, when completed. I will remember ;)
GaichiApr 17, 2018 3:56 AM

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Apr 20, 2018 5:01 AM

Dec 2017
I've only played the first three DS Professor Layton games and is a fan, was pleasantly surprised at this. Turns out far better than I expected.

Opening seems to have some interesting things to say the least.
May 4, 2018 12:08 PM

Jul 2012
Such a sweet story. It's very washed down for kids but I don't mind. Really nice hearing HanaKana voice the MC!
May 6, 2018 2:45 PM

Jul 2016
I really don't know anything about Professor Layton but still decided to give this a try. First impressions - this is actually very fun for a kids show and I'm sure I'll enjoy these 50 chill episodes.

What a great start, Katri looks like a likable character so far and very smart. I also love her "The truth is always stranger than fiction" quote.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

May 17, 2018 12:54 PM

Jan 2015
"Truth is always stranger than the fiction"
What a great anime honestly <3333
One question tho, is what the hell were they eating for 3 days in the basement hmm
Aug 30, 2020 2:38 PM

Oct 2012
Good start I guess. Kinda relaxing mystery series for children to watch. Still think Poirot to Maple has more charm for mystery lovers but this seems not so bad alternative.

HanaKana is cute as always and the dog hillarious!
Sep 11, 2020 2:32 AM

Feb 2020
I didn't like Katrielle's game all that much (I haven't even finished it yet), but as a Layton fan, I of course had to watch this anime !
I would've largely preferred an anime about the original characters though... Katrielle's adventures are always much more childish, a lot of the atmosphere is missing and overall, the situations aren't taken as seriously as they are with Hershel, plus, I am particularly attached to the original team a way I didn't manage to when it comes to Katrielle, Oliver and Sherl.
But it's pretty clear we're gonna at least see Professor Layton and Luke again if the op doesn't lie ! Can't wait to see a grown-up Luke. However I'm very worried when it comes to Layton, the game and this episode (including the op) seem to imply he died... I DON'T WANT THAT TO BE TRUE !

I didn't like Katrielle in the game, but here I found her much more bearable. Does it simply have something to do with Kana Hanazawa voicing her ? She is perfect for this role, even though when I first learned about this choice I found iy pretty weird.
I usually play the games (and watch the movie) whether in french or english so for now the japanese voices kinda confuse me but I'll get used to it.
What made me the happiest though was definitely the music ! Some weren't that memorable, but some others were really reminiscent of the games', and the osts are one of the best things about Professor Layton.

If I didn't play the games I wouldn't keep going because this first episode was very childish, too childish for me, but I really need to see the rest now ! I hace a feeling it'll gradually become more serious and dramatic. I hope it'll also become as good as the stories following Hershel !

More topics from this board

Poll: » Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File Episode 35 Discussion

Fayrin - Dec 10, 2018

3 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 2, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File Episode 31 Discussion

wolfwing - Nov 19, 2018

3 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 2, 2023 7:44 PM

Poll: » Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File Episode 32 Discussion

Fayrin - Nov 20, 2018

2 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 2, 2023 7:42 PM

Poll: » Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File Episode 19 Discussion

Fayrin - Aug 14, 2018

2 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 2, 2023 4:31 AM

Poll: » Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File Episode 13 Discussion

Fayrin - Aug 10, 2018

1 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 2, 2023 1:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.