Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2018 6:10 PM

May 2017
I am pretty consistent with the american school grading scale. 7/10 is average. 75% is average.

Apr 7, 2018 6:25 PM

Jan 2017
I'd say average is probably about 6 inches

Apr 7, 2018 8:33 PM

Oct 2017
Well, just compare your previous scored shows with the ones you just watched/are going to rate...
Apr 7, 2018 11:22 PM

Oct 2017
Mastergold said:

Please keep your nonsense statement to yourself. This site is not a school neither an academy to be using such rating format, get over with it.

But all the "normal people" who judge your list will use the score base on their cultural belief and see you as stingy elitist when they see your "average score" , which are all failing grades to them, and think you hate anime and everything you watch in general.

You can act cool and be an outlier though, but don't blame other people when judging your list and see you as stingy elitist.
You have your right to score, they have their's to judge too.
Apr 8, 2018 12:27 AM

Dec 2012
Here average means a score of 5/10 or a 6/10. To me personally, it is a show that I can not definitively say is "good" and not definitively say is "bad". If you think of it like this balance scale:

One of those trays represents "Good" and the other represents "Bad". "Average" is what you get when the scales balance instead of being scewed to the left or right (thereby being good or bad).
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 8, 2018 12:57 AM

Jun 2016
Everyone has their own scale on here it seems, I always found that the words MAL provides when scoring anime are more of "suggestions" For me average would be either a 6 or 7.

If we're using the median definition of average though the average anime rating would be a 6.5, as that's where the middle data point of MAL's anime hover around.

Apr 8, 2018 12:58 AM

May 2009
Average = arithmetic mean = add up everything and divide by the number of things, and you essentially end up with a balance point around which everything is placed.

So, supposedly, if you add up how good/bad all the series are, and divide that by the number of series, you should get 5.

It's rather impractically specific, so most people just use it to mean that something is "mediocre", usually with an implication that it's a bad thing.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 8, 2018 1:45 AM

Feb 2018
Pullman said:
Ventus_S said:

Stop using your math as standard -> 5 = average because it's a middle number.
You have to judge it base on society's norm.

Wow, that's a pretty fucking sad thing to say. So peer pressure is like a physical law now that you have to give in to? No other choice? Because the majority does it it has to be done by everyone? What a frightening worldview that is, I'm glad I'm not sharing it.

I agree, you don't have to do anything like that.
The one thing we are entitled to as human beings is the right to think what we want. Now, you may use some arguments to try and convince people why your way is the right way (the truth is, there is no right way in this). We are each entitled to our opinion and free to do it how we like. I also don't agree with people that give all 9s and 10s, I don't understand the point of grading if you do it like that, and feel that it leads to misleading results, but that doesn't mean they should just delete their accounts or something.
As for people who say that people who don't do it their way better not do it at all, that doesn't sound very open-minded to me.
(This is not directed at you, Pullman).

-Haki said:
average should be every shounen for sure they are all the same but with different scenario and characters but concept is almost identically. sorry :( I would say average as a number because it would be different by each other but average by a certain genre or cliché anime. but im dumb so my opinions are almost trash although I like to share them

Nobody thinks your opinion is trash. :) But watch hxh (2011) and say that all shounens are the same/average, especially after Chimera Ant arc.

A_Haiku_UnlooseApr 8, 2018 1:48 AM
Apr 8, 2018 2:10 AM

May 2014
Yea, i think average is a poor word choice as a score of 5.
Like few others have said, meh or mediocre fits well.
Although I understand ppl saying this isn't supposed to be usual American school grading system where above C is passing, if you look at the average score ppl give on anime on MAL it seems pretty obvious that most ppl use that system. Score of 5(supposed "average) anime on MAL is usually bad. So I think average isn't the best word even if it was originally meant to be average when MAL was created.
Apr 8, 2018 2:14 AM

Feb 2018
6 is above average 4 below average..
Apr 8, 2018 2:59 AM

Feb 2015
Average for me means that it wasn't really bad but it wasn't really good either, something that didn't make me feel really bored but didn't amaze me and this stuff gets 5. Basically Nothing Special: The Anime.
Things I disliked start with 4 and go lower.
If something's 6 or higher it means that I liked it and can recommend to someone.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Apr 8, 2018 3:06 AM

Sep 2011
It doesn't give me fun all the time but it doesn't make me feel negative towards it. So yeah, they'll end up 5/10 or 6/10 to me.

Apr 8, 2018 3:21 AM

Jul 2017
I am not taking the words in a comparative sense because it is very hard to compare anime. I think most anime are very good in their own way, so I spread my scores at 8.

I once considered to spread them at 5, but this means I have to rate like half of the anime I consider good into the bad category because I enjoy them comparatively less than others. I don't think that's a healthy practice for me, so I'm not doing that.
Apr 8, 2018 3:43 AM

Jun 2012
There are still people claiming that "5" is the the average score, that's in the middle of the chart. Yare yare daze. Even a guy who says it's between 6 and 7??? Da fuck?

Here is an experiment. Open your hands in front of you so that you can see all 10 of your fingers and your palm. The scores 1 and 10 are your thumbs. The scores 5 and 6 are your little fingers. What's in the middle? Nothing.

5.5. Is the average. When you score something "average" you choose either 5 or 6 depending how much you enjoyed the show. 5 is still acceptable, but nothing to brag about. 6 is quite enjoyable, but could be better.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Apr 8, 2018 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
I don't agree with MAL's score, as my average is a 6, not a 5. If I rate an anime a 5 then I think it's bad and I wouldn't recommend it, if I rate it a 4 then it's really bad. I never give a score lower than 4 because 1, 2 and 3 are the same thing to me = unwatchable, and I don't watch horrible anime that I wouldn't find interesting. 7 is good, 8 is very good, 9 is excellent, while 10 is for my favorite anime, whether they're perfect or not I don't care.
Apr 8, 2018 6:27 AM

Apr 2016
Just browse some profiles, you will see the definition of average in no time.
Apr 8, 2018 7:49 AM

Sep 2017
Overused cliches, characters could have been developed more, settings were not utilized to their full potential, etc. It's not bad, it's not great, somewhere in between.

Pain is something man must endure in his heart, and since the heart feels pain so easily some believe life is pain.
- Kaworu Nagisa
Apr 8, 2018 8:00 AM

Nov 2016
For me, I feel that my average is 7, maybe 6.5. I find that 5s are what really have just "meh" points to them, but they're not bad enough to be unenjoyable. 7s for me have elements I can appreciate, but have some things with them that could use improvement. Really, most things that are 7s are just average, which is what I see with animes that get rated on this site.

Apr 8, 2018 1:42 PM

Oct 2015
Average is the median in a given number sequence, which happens to be 5 in a scale of 1 to 10.
Apr 8, 2018 4:41 PM

Feb 2016
I don't really watch anime that I don't think I'll enjoy. And if I'm halfway through something and I end up dropping it, I don't rate the anime. So, for me at least, if I've finished the anime its because I usually thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Most of my viewed anime end up 7-9 ratings for this reason. I think the only show I had to rate 1/10 out of pure spite / lack of enjoyment was Smartphone isekai.
Apr 8, 2018 5:30 PM

Jun 2014
Everyone has their scaling system. I rate anime on a scale from 6-10, and I notice it tends to be on average with what people have voted for it as well.

7 tends to be my average, which means sometimes it was hard to get through, and sometimes it wasn't. Overall, I wouldn't watch it again, but it was okay for enjoyment.

Apr 9, 2018 3:23 PM

Apr 2012
I don't think the concept of "average anime" makes sense, so I just make 5 the "worth watching" boundary.
Apr 9, 2018 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Orhunaa said:
Average is the median in a given number sequence, which happens to be 5 in a scale of 1 to 10.

Hate to be that guy... but wouldn't it be 5.5, and not 5?

Remember that you can't vote 0 on MAL.
Apr 9, 2018 3:44 PM

May 2016
My average is a 6/10, which is to say most anime I watch manage to be decent.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Apr 10, 2018 12:26 AM

Oct 2015
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Orhunaa said:

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Orhunaa said:

Yeah lol you're right.

Character limit
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

53 by Acctra »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 43 minutes ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
17 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

20 by Sorachin »»
17 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by animejas »»
23 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

46 by Maou_heika »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.