Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2018 11:31 AM

Jul 2008
Fire13rin said:
He is the monster because he is the one who more or less totally forgot about Zero Two and much more and in a sense "ran away" like the monster did in the book.
While Zero Two still remembers someone as her original Darling, she remembers everything except for the fact that it was Hiro who was the person she met. And so Zero Two continues to look for her original darling though she probably had no idea who that was until now. In a similar sense, this is like the prince looking for the monster.

Hiro's memories have been erased (and seemingly altered, as his personality has changed), hers were not. The humans probably did not even think that she was human enough to have memories and such did not bother (from all that we have seen, she has all her memories... she did not recognize Hiro, but that is to be expected as he didn't really have enough unique characteristics for her to recognize him).

bitchassdarius said:
why is baby hiro less of a pussy than present day hiro

I believe they altered his personality after erasing the memories. After he was captured, we saw a few segments that suggest that he had changed as a person. Since he was too nosy, I can easily see them doing this.

Mar 2017
This episode was pretty decent, at least compared how awful the past few have been.

Hiro's back to actually doing stuff now? Finally. I've been really annoyed at how since his whole "I'll be your wings" speech he's never really followed through on that one bit. Like sure, he's given her a gift and gotten some cute moments with her but right when conflict comes up again with her withdrawing and getting more hostile, he turns right back into the wet blanket he was during the first arc. Never once did he make any real effort to help her, he just kept asking her the same question and backing off. Really would have preferred if he had tried to take some action. (maybe a mindset change of "is there anything I can do?" instead of "is there anything wrong?") If he put in at least a little bit of effort, it would have made her rebuffs and regression feel a lot more impactful. The whole "I'm okay with your horns" thing should have come much earlier tbh.

As for this episode, I really like the design of demon Zero Two, it's the cutest thing ever! Did this plot point give anyone Yuri Kuma flashbacks though? The whole "child meets monster with a symbolic prophecy story book and then later forgets it" thing matches up almost blow for blow. Maybe this is just a larger trope that's happened more than I realize.

There is still one gripe I have with this episode. Now we know that his memories got erased, but does that justify him turning into an emotionless blank slate? It seems that it took away most of his early memories, but I don't see how that would affect his base personality as he was a pretty idealistic kid at a default.

As of right now, I keep going between a 5/10 and 4/10 for this series overall.
_ghostCandleApr 7, 2018 11:41 AM
Jul 2014
Raizel said:
Ahh my heart when She said Ewww Tooooo T-T

This was definitely the best episode so far the feels ;-;

Those two were definitely the best scenes of the episode, along with the ending scene where we see Zero-Two shocked and crying because Hiro finally remembered her, and she finally remembered him.

That being said, this episode really doesn't pull punches. We see Zero-Two being tortured before making the attempt to have her memory erased, and it begs the question of what happened to her afterwards. When we encounter Zero-Two as a four or five year old child, she doesn't know how to read and she can barely speak, having the speech capacity of a two-year-old. It begs the question of why Dr. Franxx and the others shifted their attitude towards her, and how she learned about what she learned about. In fact, her approach to"love" and "what comes after kissing" strongly suggests that she was raped later on as part of Dr. Franxx's experiments or that one of her partners may otherwise have forced himself upon her in some way.

And then, of course, there's this from episode 1:

In darlifra, it's presently winter, but it's spring in this image, and they're clearly inside Plantation 13. Moreover, we can see her red irises in this image, suggesting that her "saurification" has proceeded further. Yet from that scene we also know that she's accepted herself..............but she's also remembering, and we see her standing in the Garden in front of the mistletoe tree during winter, surrounded by Klaxosaurs.....................whatever happens next, it's not good.
firemagnetApr 7, 2018 11:35 AM
Apr 7, 2018 11:36 AM

Apr 2012
Exill said:
RobertBobert said:
Well, it was a rather unusual episode. Yes, it well reveals the true nature of their relationship and personality, but did I understand correctly - Zero is not a human and she is actually childhood friends with Hiro?

Yes, 02 is not human, probably a klaxosaur evolved to be closer to human. Hiro and 02 met when they were child, so yes they are childhood friend I guess. Only their memories erased, so they couldn't remember.

Thank you for your reply. She also mentions that "she became closer to a human, for his sake". Did she somehow manage to change her nature?

Apr 7, 2018 11:36 AM

Apr 2008
Pretty predicable episode. Except for the fact that our idiot of MC never named 02. Which is rather sad, since her "real" name is the only mystery worth solving. This is kinda out of character for Hiro, but considering shows shady writing, I doubt that writers had a definition of Hiro's "character" to begin with.
ZingFreelancerApr 7, 2018 11:40 AM
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Apr 7, 2018 11:38 AM

Mar 2017
Today's episode improved my opinion on this show a lot. I was really disappointed when this show started focusing on a different supporting character each week. It was getting really boring to the point where I even considered to put in on a hold. I'm not stopping it till it ends for sure now.
Guess, we might see some changes in Hiro's personality too after this. That wouldn't be bad :D
hitsuu137Apr 7, 2018 11:45 AM
Apr 7, 2018 11:41 AM
Jul 2014
ZingFreelancer said:
Pretty predicable episode. Except for the fact that our idiot of MC never named 02. Which is very out of character for him, but considering shows shady writing, I doubt he even had character to begin with.

But he did name her. He was the one who gave her that name, where before she was simply a code-number. He almost named her "Oni," as the episode reveals, but apparently recognized the irony of that name. Whatever the case, it's clear that Dr. Franxx and the others seized upon whatever Hiro had taught her and used it as an incentive for her to cooperate with them. They were undoubtedly the ones who helped plant the idea that she could "become human" if she "killed more klaxosaurs."
Apr 7, 2018 11:43 AM

Oct 2015
rsc-pl said:

Also, video editing and composition was even greater than before.

Don't forgot the amazing soundtrack their use in this episode . :D
Apr 7, 2018 11:45 AM

Apr 2012
osananajimi + transfer girl, can't lose now.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 7, 2018 11:47 AM

Oct 2016
My heart melted this episode. Child Zero Two is so goddamn cute. Man I fucking hate Papa and the rest of the adults. Putting everyone through some shitty torture. The last scene where Zero two realises that Hiro is her original Darling was the best scene in all these 13 episodes <3 . Glad so many of my questions were answered this episode.
'Time and titles do not matter in the bonds between people'
Apr 7, 2018 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
Great flashback to Zero Two and Hiro's past, hopefully the series will keep getting better after this episode.

Also, I'm a bit unsure, was the reason Hiro forgets about Zero Two is because he was hit on the head while he was protecting Zero Two, or was it something else?
Apr 7, 2018 11:49 AM

Apr 2008
firemagnet said:

But he did name her. He was the one who gave her that name, where before she was simply a code-number. He almost named her "Oni," as the episode reveals, but apparently recognized the irony of that name. Whatever the case, it's clear that Dr. Franxx and the others seized upon whatever Hiro had taught her and used it as an incentive for her to cooperate with them. They were undoubtedly the ones who helped plant the idea that she could "become human" if she "killed more klaxosaurs."

It would be much simpler if people would stop grasping at straws and just accept this show for what it is.
A failure at intelligent writing.

koplakever said:
Also, I'm a bit unsure, was the reason Hiro forgets about Zero Two is because he was hit on the head while he was protecting Zero Two, or was it something else?

One of the frames showed both of them being brainwashed or something.
Apr 7, 2018 11:50 AM

May 2016
That crying Zero Two is my new phone background. The anime is definitely a masterpiece. They make episodes with backstories that seem boring at first, but then they make an episode where these backstory episodes connect and create an emotional epic episode. The way they build up these episodes is crazy. That cliffhanger made me go insane tho lmao.

"She came closer to you to suck you dry"

Probably my favourite episode so far! Really looking forward to next week and episode 14!

Apr 7, 2018 11:51 AM

Nov 2012
RobertBobert said:

Thank you for your reply. She also mentions that "she became closer to a human, for his sake". Did she somehow manage to change her nature?

She becomes more human in appearance (shorter horn, red blood, human's color skin). However somehow she began to turn back into her previous form for some reasons, I am guessing it is because she was unable to absorb hiro's humanity anymore.
Apr 7, 2018 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
ZingFreelancer said:

koplakever said:

One of the frames showed both of them being brainwashed or something.

oh yeah, stupid me. I didn't notice the subs saying to erase their memories
Apr 7, 2018 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
Exill said:
RobertBobert said:

She becomes more human in appearance (shorter horn, red blood, human's color skin). However somehow she began to turn back into her previous form for some reasons, I am guessing it is because she was unable to absorb hiro's humanity anymore.

Heh, it seems that the story from mecha and post-apocalyptic smoothly turns into a dramatic love story between a boy and a "demon girl". Thanks again for the answer!
Apr 7, 2018 11:58 AM
Jun 2014
We can all agree that this was by far the best episode of Darling in the FranXX so far, right?

Finally, we got to learn more about Zero Two and Hiro's past and get some questions answered which has been on our mind since so far as episode 1. They hit the nail on with this episode and execution was superb.

After this episode, I hate those adults even more and I hope they all die a painful slow death. I almost considered hitting the monitor as I was watching this episode, I knew they were bad news, but after this episode, they might as well be as worse if not worse than Klaxosaur.

Also, I cannot be the only one who thinks that the Klaxosaur is, in fact, the other children who went missing. The fact that they were experimenting on Zero Two, went so far as to say she was "perfect, from the rest" were all clues hard to miss. In other words, the real enemy is the adults and the Klaxosaur are just failed experiments conducted by the adults.

Anyhow, this is legit the first time in awhile I can't wait for next week. I really need that episode now, especially with that cliffhanger where everything falls into place and Hiro remembers everything...
Apr 7, 2018 12:01 PM

Feb 2015
Holy shit that was a good episode. I definitely teared up several times.

Glad we finally get backstory on Hiro and Zero Two. Now we also know why Hiro forgot his promise to Mitsuru; memory erasure? Tough shit.

This series just keeps getting better; the quality has yet to drop, imo. Just wow.

5/5
Apr 7, 2018 12:01 PM

Oct 2016
Exill said:
RobertBobert said:

imo, the reason 02 became more human like was because she absorbed the humanity(?) of all her previous partners. This might explain why every single partner of 02 died after riding with her 3 times. Maybe 02 is reverting back to her Oni like state because she can't absorb Hiro's humanity since Hiro ingested her blood or maybe because of the fact that Hiro is her 'Darling'.
'Time and titles do not matter in the bonds between people'
Apr 7, 2018 12:05 PM

Sep 2013
Good story of hiro and 02 but they were torn apart from each other :'(
Apr 7, 2018 12:05 PM

Apr 2008
Kaizoku-Otaku said:

Also, I cannot be the only one who thinks that the Klaxosaur is, in fact, the other children who went missing. The fact that they were experimenting on Zero Two, went so far as to say she was "perfect, from the rest" were all clues hard to miss. In other words, the real enemy is the adults and the Klaxosaur are just failed experiments conducted by the adults.

It was pretty obvious that Klaxosaur where never a threat, but more like a plot device. Especially since the show never bothered explaining what they are or where they come from after 13 episodes.
Apr 7, 2018 12:11 PM
Jan 2018
This had me gripped from the very beginning! This is my favourite episode of the show, at this moment. Truly heartbreaking, but at the same time very heartwarming. I adore little Zero Two, so innocent. Now we know why she likes picture books so much and we get an explanation for how Hiro could forget his promise with Mitsuru! Not to mention the excellent, adorable, scene with Hiro licking the wound. That brought me to tears. Aaah, fantastic! Cannot wait to see how Zero Two will act towards Hiro after this!
Apr 7, 2018 12:18 PM

Dec 2016
i loved this episode so much ! i rarely seen that good "flashback" episodes in animes (sorry for english mistakes)
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Apr 7, 2018 12:21 PM
Mar 2018
Now I know why the Darling of 02 is Hiro, 😈 When Hiro lick the blood of 02 I feel its one of the reason why they are compatible to each other. Now Hiro already know who 02 is!!!
Can't wait for next ep.... 😢😢😢😢
Apr 7, 2018 12:22 PM

May 2016
ZingFreelancer said:
Helios92 said:
That crying Zero Two is my new phone background. The anime is definitely a masterpiece. They make episodes with backstories that seem boring at first, but then they make an episode where these backstory episodes connect and create an emotional epic episode. The way they build up these episodes is crazy. That cliffhanger made me go insane tho lmao.

"She came closer to you to suck you dry"

Probably my favourite episode so far! Really looking forward to next week and episode 14!

Masterpiece? Eh, no. You are insane mate, please check yourself into mental hospital before it spreads.

Backstories connected? How? The fact that these two knew each other from the past was as obvious as the sun in the afternoon.
What buildup are you talking about? The story and character so far have been all over the place!
Erased had cliffhangers that could drive you inside, this, this was just them running out of time for a single episode. By no means it was a cliffhanger.
"She came closer to you to suck you dry" - More sexual innuendos, got old after episode 3.

Helios92 said:

Considering how there is nothing else to watch at the moment, well...

You sir, are about to get Lord's wrath!
Apr 7, 2018 12:22 PM

Jan 2015
So...he was just going to abandon his friends, and run away with this creature/girl that he just met? So the people you just gave names to, whom look up to you, don't matter?

Also, still no explanations for how the world works at all? Really? After 13 episodes, we still know literally nothing. Yes, APE is being portrayed as malevolent...BUT we've got NO CONTEXT as to why they do what they do. Even SAO did basic worldbuilding.
Apr 7, 2018 12:23 PM

Jul 2009
Snowy landscape
Childhood memories
Dramatic event
THE FEEL TRAIN...
Beautiful OST
Amnesic main character...

Wait, it is not Kanon 2006 remake and it is not kyoany stuff?

016/5
bruh
Apr 7, 2018 12:25 PM

Jan 2013
I just hope they give us some God damn good quality mecha action after this.
Apr 7, 2018 12:28 PM

Jan 2018
I'm not crying, you're crying.

Shut up
Dimmock is a lot like Veal, an acquired taste.
Apr 7, 2018 12:29 PM
Mar 2018
waiting for mecha action in 2K18 LUL
Oct 2017
Finally an episode that justifies the hype that surrounded this show.

I really really really loved it.

6/5

Jan 2017
This episode was nothing less than beautiful. It's turning out to be one of my favourites of the winter collection -alongside violet evergarden. Let's leave it at that

Jan 2015
Kaizoku-Otaku said:
We can all agree that this was by far the best episode of Darling in the FranXX so far, right?

Finally, we got to learn more about Zero Two and Hiro's past and get some questions answered which has been on our mind since so far as episode 1. They hit the nail on with this episode and execution was superb.

After this episode, I hate those adults even more and I hope they all die a painful slow death. I almost considered hitting the monitor as I was watching this episode, I knew they were bad news, but after this episode, they might as well be as worse if not worse than Klaxosaur.

Anyhow, this is legit the first time in awhile I can't wait for next week. I really need that episode now, especially with that cliffhanger where everything falls into place and Hiro remembers everything...

Best episode? Nah, I'd still say that's episode 11. In terms of a standalone story, anyways.

This episode only revealed what we already knew, and literally nothing else.
Apr 7, 2018 12:33 PM
Jan 2017
If the adults find out that he's got his memories back... oof, have a feeling they'll have to run away again or something like that.
Apr 7, 2018 12:37 PM

Jan 2015
ZingFreelancer said:

Considering how there is nothing else to watch at the moment, well...

There's Megalo Box, much better than this show. Characterization of all the major characters, and world building, in the first episode. Something this show has barely done in 13 episodes.
Apr 7, 2018 12:38 PM
Mar 2009
Nobody discuss these?:
1. Designated name for ZERO TWO is O(0)-Ni(2), Oni /Demon, but Hiro declined that because it isnt a good name.

2. Hiro became impotent to other girls was because he consumed the blue Oni Blood.
Apr 7, 2018 12:39 PM

Nov 2016
My favourite episode so far.
This was one of the most important episodes yet showing more of Zero Two's past. Her past is so sad compared to the others children, and that part when she takes the bullet so painful. We know the reason why she is so obsessed to become a human. The part with the book was a good contrast between her and Hiro.
The new ED song is also enjoyable.
NoloranApr 7, 2018 12:44 PM
Apr 7, 2018 12:45 PM
Jun 2017
I started watching this anime because 002 when she was naked in the river and hype but i m so fucking glad that i didnt drop this show and solved to watch that anime cause of super hype. Thanks, community. I even wasnt guessing then that it could be so fucking cool and goddamn interesting.
Apr 7, 2018 12:47 PM
Jan 2018
MOREEEEEE!!!! I NEED MOREEEEE!
Apr 7, 2018 12:51 PM
Jan 2018
The sound, the feels, everything was done perfectly in this episode. 11/10.
I am interested in whether Nana and the other adults will find out that Hiro got his memories (or at least part of them) back.
Apr 7, 2018 12:52 PM

Feb 2015

Protect that smile my bro...
Apr 7, 2018 12:55 PM

Nov 2017
that last scene..the teary shocked face of Hiro and zerotwo while matching with a sad background song!! perfectly set up cliffhanger!! ...

Now because of that picture book story I am now curious about the ending of this series...the scene in episode 1 were Hiro and Zerotwo walking happily in cherry blossoms and with same uniform...foreshadowing a happy ending or are they dead and in heaven already? geez DEAR LAWD GESSUUUSS!! hahaha
Apr 7, 2018 12:57 PM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
This is, by far, the best episode so far in Darling in the FranXX. Not only does it finally explain a lot of things like why he forgot about his promise with Mitsuru and why he is able to survive being the pilot to the FranXX with Zero Two, but it also gave us insight into their past. It was absolutely horrible to see how poorly Zero Two used to be treated and you can definitely understand why she hates having tests now - that would have bloody traumatized her as a kid.

But I have to say, seeing Zero Two's reactions to the picture book, Hiro and the sweets is so goddamn adorable.

And that ending, finally, they can have a proper reunion.
Apr 7, 2018 12:57 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
This was an ok episode. We've already known that the kids were getting their memories tampered with by the adults and while I did have a hunch from last week's ending, I really didn't expect 02 to have been someone that actually has met with Hiro in the past.

Their backstory was pretty nice and gave more insight on how it was like when they were young. I felt real bad for 02 as she was always used as an experiment. Not to mention now we know why she's so fixated on becoming human.

Very cliche but overall good. Am looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 7, 2018 12:59 PM

Sep 2017
This was the backstory we've been due since the forgotten promise scene between Mitsuru and Hiro, where we saw it was actually Hiro with that coat holding hands with 002 in the op. The important elements for this one were to convey 002's past in a way that justifies her current attitude and behaviour. To make her likeable as a kid - since she started out innocent and was put through all sorts of mind breaking crap, and to forge a meaningful connection between her and Hiro.

I'd put in a tick in all the boxes for the way it was done. Even though it was a very short time they spent together, it was so far removed from their regular daily existence that it makes perfect sense 002 has been obsessing over it ever since, and for Hiro now he's able to remember, it's a very profound part of his childhood. Nicely done and worth a full episode

On another note - Childhood friends never win. Seen that one a whole lot next to pictures of Ichigo (who was as cute as ever in this ep) guess they're both childhood friends now, although it's still number 015 who's more in the typical been friends for years role
Apr 7, 2018 1:00 PM
Jun 2014
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
Kaizoku-Otaku said:

Best episode? Nah, I'd still say that's episode 11. In terms of a standalone story, anyways.

That is your opinion. For me this episode blow all the other out of the water.

Accept it.
Apr 7, 2018 1:03 PM

Jan 2015
Kaizoku-Otaku said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

That is your opinion. For me this episode blow all the other out of the water.

Accept it.

Sure, I guess.

I just like world building, and plot.
Apr 7, 2018 1:04 PM

Nov 2016
Apr 7, 2018 1:04 PM

Oct 2015
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
Kaizoku-Otaku said:

Yeah it's predictable . But the way their executed it to make this one is the best episode is totally brilliant. Everything is really stunning .
Apr 7, 2018 1:08 PM

Feb 2013
DoctorWasabi said:
02 MUST BE PROTECTED

If you still think Ichigo is better than 02 after this episode, then you deserve to be smacked upside the head with a sledge hammer

EASILY best episode

I still like Ichigo much more than 02, sorry. Which doesn't mean that I don't like 02, she's in second place for me. Those two are the best characters in this show.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

282 by louiboui08 »»
Apr 21, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2018

597 by akiramado19 »»
Apr 17, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

328 by Aazoka »»
Apr 6, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2018

565 by otakuanity »»
Mar 29, 12:11 AM

» How do we feel about this one years later? ( 1 2 3 )

sorames - Jun 10, 2023

114 by sunatsf »»
Mar 26, 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.