Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2018 9:15 PM

Jul 2017
What the hell is going on with this series? Why do you have so many ups and downs ?, There are times when we have 5 mediocre episodes and then an excellent one.
This episode is a step above all others, but it is still unfortunate that the series has so many mediocre episodes, well, now I only hope that this will improve from here forward.
I agree with most, this is the best episode of the series so far, but I must be honest, an episode will not change my opinion of the whole series, so I hope this improves to be able to change my opinion about the series.
I hope to see character deaths soon.
ReppiTApr 7, 2018 9:21 PM
~~

Jan 2018
That was such a great episode.Best of all the episodes.

Mar 2012
Third post for this episode, but I do think there's a bit of disconnect.

So the sequence went like this: 02 and Hiro met. They were caught. Hiro's memories were wiped. And since then, 02 has been waiting for the opportunity to meet her Darling again.

So all this time, through some means that may have involved her sucking the life out of her co-pilots, 02 was able to maintain a human form. It's also possible that APE performed operations on her and promised that they could turn her into a human being for real after she took out enough klaxos. Either way, she's been obsessed with becoming human and equating that with combat, leaving casualties on the side. I originally thought that 02 may have known that Hiro was her Darling, since:

1. Episode one she saw him looking up at the plane she was in and said "I found it"
2. She has been obsessed with Hiro and opening herself up until her mood swings began
3. She calls him and him alone her darling
4. She's asked him to run away with her

But clearly we now know 02 did not know that Hiro was her Darling. Which begs the question of why she's behaved this way with Hiro. If she viewed Hiro as, all this time, just a fodder to be used and discarded, there's no reason for her to have gotten so close with him when she hasn't with anyone else. And it seems unlikely that she felt the need to deceive Hiro to maintain a good relationship since she clearly did not care about the guy she piloted with in the first episode and they disliked each other (not to mention that 02 does not seem like the type to deceive). Was Hiro such an exceptionally good fodder that she felt like she wanted or needed to get close to him? But even allowing that, why use the term darling on Hiro when it's evident that she places special importance on her Darling?

I guess one plausible explanation is that she intuitively sensed that Hiro was or was like her Darling and thus she couldn't help but want to be close to him--which would be understandable since it's probably the first time she's felt warmth since she met her Darling years ago--but when she began to turn back to her oni form she panicked and re-focused on her goal of using Hiro up as a fodder so she can move on and go be with her Darling. That wouldn't be a crazy explanation, but if they don't spell this out, it's hard to explain 02's proximity to Hiro before she found out he was her Darling.
Apr 7, 2018 9:29 PM

Nov 2007
zannett said:

So the sequence went like this: 02 and Hiro met. They were caught. Hiro's memories were wiped. And since then, 02 has been waiting for the opportunity to meet her Darling again.

So all this time, through some means that may have involved her sucking the life out of her co-pilots, 02 was able to maintain a human form. It's also possible that APE performed operations on her and promised that they could turn her into a human being for real after she took out enough klaxos. Either way, she's been obsessed with becoming human and equating that with combat, leaving casualties on the side. I originally thought that 02 may have known that Hiro was her Darling, since:

1. Episode one she saw him looking up at the plane she was in and said "I found it"
2. She has been obsessed with Hiro and opening herself up until her mood swings began

But clearly we now know 02 did not know that Hiro was her Darling. Which begs the question of why she's behaved this way with Hiro. If she viewed Hiro as, all this time, just a fodder to be used and discarded, there's no reason for her to have gotten so close with him when she hasn't with anyone else. And it seems unlikely that she felt the need to deceive Hiro to maintain a good relationship since she clearly did not care about the guy she piloted with in the first episode and they disliked each other (not to mention that 02 does not seem like the type to deceive). Was Hiro such an exceptionally good fodder that she felt like she wanted or needed to get close to him? But even allowing that, why use the term darling on Hiro when it's evident that she places special importance on her Darling?

I guess one plausible explanation is that she intuitively sensed that Hiro was or was like her Darling and thus she couldn't help but want to be close to him--which would be understandable since it's probably the first time she's felt warmth since she met her Darling years ago--but when she began to turn back to her oni form she panicked and re-focused on her goal of using Hiro up as a fodder so she can move on and go be with her Darling. That wouldn't be a crazy explanation, but if they don't spell this out, it's hard to explain 02's proximity to Hiro before she found out he was her Darling.

She found similarities between the boy she met in him. That's why she was fixated about him hoping that he would give her the same affection that the boy gave her. But deep inside the only one she really hoped to be with was the boy who showed her affection when she didn't understand anything, not human language, not even how to behave, nothing.

Also, notice that the memory wipe didn't work on her but only on him. Notice the first few lines. While she says she never once forgotten about that day and the promise, he had forgotten about the day and the promise. It's just that when he mentioned about the picture book, she came to realize that the boy she wanted to meet was him all along.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 7, 2018 9:33 PM
Nov 2017
JaVzD said:
What the hell is going on with this series? Why do you have so many ups and downs ?, There are times when we have 5 mediocre episodes and then an excellent one.
This episode is a step above all others, but it is still unfortunate that the series has so many mediocre episodes, well, now I only hope that this will improve from here forward.
I agree with most, this is the best episode of the series so far, but I must be honest, an episode will not change my opinion of the whole series, so I hope this improves to be able to change my opinion about the series.
The recent episodes were buildup and lead up to this point and to intertwine all the questions and answers . Idk why people can’t see that every episode was important for this huge payoff
Apr 7, 2018 9:33 PM

Mar 2012
shanimebib said:
She found similarities between the boy she met in him. That's why she was fixated about him hoping that he would give her the same affection that the boy gave her. But deep inside the only one she really hoped to be with was the boy who showed her affection when she didn't understand anything, not human language, not even how to behave, nothing.

Also, notice that the memory wipe didn't work on her but only on him. Notice the first few lines. While she says she never once forgotten about that day and the promise, he had forgotten about the day and the promise. It's just that when he mentioned about the picture book, she came to realize that the boy she wanted to meet was him all along.

I mean, the explanation you just gave is basically what I said in my last paragraph. Which is fine. I just think they need to make that clear because it does seem like a gap that isn't an immediate logical step.
Apr 7, 2018 9:39 PM

Jan 2011
this was pretty darn good episode nimble supporter of zero two again and Hiro everything leading up to the realization of their reunion was great but for realz why did it have to end there i knew it was gonna happen but i was like c'mon just a bit more after all that.

real talk would of been cool if Zero two was like her child form the full red with green eyes looks pretty neat(though it wouldn't make much sense for the plot of trying to be more human)
Apr 7, 2018 9:42 PM
Jul 2015
Finally a good episode. The only thing that kept me watching this teen melodrama was that 02 was interesting enough for me to keep watching. Overall I'd rate it a 4/5 since I've seen this before and better executed. By far my favorite episode so far
Apr 7, 2018 9:46 PM
Apr 2018
Oh my lord this was the episode we were waiting for!
Apr 7, 2018 9:48 PM
Apr 2016
9 people voted for 1? How dense do you have to be to NOT like what this episode offers??? Some people just don't see the clues being dropped like bread crumbs, honestly.

ANYWAY! This is a wonderful episode! I just can't believe I have to wait for another week to SEE how Zero Two's gonna react. (There is a reaction, but we have to see what she does next!)

I'm also wondering if Delphinium did lose an arm, and what happens now to Ichigo. (I'm getting some Asuka in EoE vibes there, which isn't really good...)
Apr 7, 2018 9:49 PM
Apr 2018
JaVzD said:
”hope to see character deaths” jeezus man wtf is wrong with you. I hope you mean like the Adults being killed. Its obvious though that for this to really end in a hoi note, Simone like 666 or fatso is gonna have to die.
Apr 7, 2018 9:53 PM

Nov 2007
zannett said:
shanimebib said:

I mean, the explanation you just gave is basically what I said in my last paragraph. Which is fine. I just think they need to make that clear because it does seem like a gap that isn't an immediate logical step.

It was in her behaviour all along. She didn't even bother if he lived or not if she really thought he was the boy at numerous point in the story. As long as he met her requirements that is he shows her absolute dedication, that she is his priority, he would suffice.

But the reality is, that didn't work out either as she realized he was not just another expendable partner and she might have really started to like him for who he was and thus she was contradicting herself by calling him a fodder, trying to convince herself that the only boy for her was the boy she met. The reason why she was crying is not ONLY because of the boy of the past, but for the boy she was ready to discard because of the boy of the past as well. I think that's why she was crying even before he revealed it to her that he was the boy she met. Perhaps she fell in love with the same boy twice.
shanimebibApr 7, 2018 10:03 PM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 7, 2018 9:55 PM

Aug 2013
Likely my favorite episode so far. It was adorable and saddening.
Apr 7, 2018 9:59 PM

Sep 2008
So they probably messed with Hiro's memories which is why he forgot all the promises he's made and changed as a person. Maybe now he's going to become a cooler character like he was when he was younger.
Apr 7, 2018 10:01 PM
Jun 2016
Very good ep, only a bit disappointed with the whole "knew eachother as kids but then amnesia cliché" only a bit :')
Apr 7, 2018 10:01 PM

Aug 2016
Oh ffs why did everything had to be about the past >:(
At least we get to see some of the present stuff.
Oh how I can't wait to see next episode!

Set by SenpieX
Apr 7, 2018 10:25 PM
Jan 2018
Asimov_Fan said:
Very good ep, only a bit disappointed with the whole "knew eachother as kids but then amnesia cliché" only a bit :')

Well it wasn't one of the typical "got hit on the head" or "didn't see each other for a long time" type. For a memory-loss scenario, I think they did a pretty decent job of explaining it away.
Apr 7, 2018 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
shanimebib said:
It was in her behaviour all along. She didn't even bother if he lived or not if she really thought he was the boy at numerous point in the story. As long as he met her requirements that is he shows her absolute dedication, that she is his priority, he would suffice.

But the reality is, that didn't work out either as she realized he was not just another expendable partner and she might have really started to like him for who he was and thus she was contradicting herself by calling him a fodder, trying to convince herself that the only boy for her was the boy she met. The reason why she was crying is not ONLY because of the boy of the past, but for the boy she was ready to discard because of the boy of the past as well. I think that's why she was crying even before he revealed it to her that he was the boy she met. Perhaps she fell in love with the same boy twice.

I don't think we can assume that she started crying before he said anything. Note that Hiro said "That artbook..." and then there were some seconds before he actually asked whether she was the girl with the artbook. So she could've started crying as soon as Hiro mentioned the artbook (that may have been all she needed to confirm that he was her Darling) and by the time she turned around the tears have already fallen.

But I think that's a fair enough interpretation--that she was perhaps falling for Hiro but the fact that she was transforming back to her oni form and that she felt like she had to look for her Darling made her force herself to believe Hiro was just a fodder. It'll be interesting to see how she rebounds (or not) next episode, since now she'll on the one hand recognize that she had been with the person she wanted to be with all along, but on the other, know that she had almost killed him.
Apr 7, 2018 10:47 PM

Feb 2017
was a powerful episode really enjoyed it
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Apr 7, 2018 10:50 PM
Dec 2017
Does anyone know the song that starts around 17:00?
Apr 7, 2018 11:05 PM

Feb 2014
Everyone has a monster inside of them, some let it show while some hide it until it overflows till they can't stop them.
This episode really outgrew every character development till date to connect us to what it was missing. Both Hiro and Zero Two got through the hard times to reach what they have today. Now we can move forward to see the real deal.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 7, 2018 11:12 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
So, like, is this anime officially a romance now?
Apr 7, 2018 11:14 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was so cute!
Apr 7, 2018 11:15 PM

Jul 2013
This is why you shouldn't doubt zero two.

After the previous, a lot of people turn tide and hate 02, without knowing her background story.
Its anime rule no. 52: "Never judge a character without knowing his/her background story"

This episode just increased my faith on Trigger. Now we know the origin of the:-
- word darling
- why Zero Two refused Hiro to give her a name in ep2
- Why Zero Two said its been a while since she saw a human cry in ep 1
- the reason zero two loves honey and all sweet related things

p/s: damn, that picture book is depressing. Its basically all fairy tale story if Disney stayed true to the source material and didn't give happy endings
Apr 7, 2018 11:15 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
AkatzukiLeadeR said:
Shingster said:
Hmm so Hiro and Zero actually met already when they were little and living at the garden. Its interesting in just how similar Zero and Hiro's origins were. Its cute in how Hiro and Ichigo met and how the names started. Papa only saw the children as test subjects i guess no more no less. Hiro sure was bold in deciding to rescue Zero to find the answers. I guess education wasn't judged to be needed for Zero then. An interesting episode that showed the surprising past that Hiro and Zero shared. It was cute seeing the interactions that they had. Im glad that Hiro remembered Zero but i wonder will she do as well. Truly this is a destined reunion. The decision to use the picture book as the ending was a good one.

She recognized him, because she was crying as well at the end when Hiro was talking about the Book. "You were the girl with the book..." Then she also turned around and you could see her crying. I think that she will protect him now and Hiro her as well.

Indeed
Now with both their memories returned things should be more interesting. This was such an emotional episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 11:27 PM

Jul 2013
Nezperdian said:
By far Dr. Franxx is the best character. You don't expect to defeat the monsters with flowers & love right? He's saving the world, but, of course, people's morality are always bringing doom to humanity.
Subarashii

Yeah I expected a guy with a bondrewd avatar to understand Dr Franxx's motivation

Subarashii
Apr 7, 2018 11:30 PM

Aug 2017
Hiro in the beginning seemed like a very boring main character but in this flashback I much prefer this Hiro. It’s like he’s a different character in all. Hopefully when he regained his memory he will change.
I used to hear a simple song. Now, I hear a symphony.
Apr 7, 2018 11:41 PM

Mar 2010
This episode was needed so badly, it's given viewers that reason to care about the two main characters and shown us why they are the way they are.

Probably the best episode of the series so far (not that it had much to contend with).
Apr 7, 2018 11:46 PM
Feb 2018
Hibaena said:
SuperD0nut said:

He remembered but 02 during the same moment reminds too no? Like both in the same moment when 02 is losing the control isn't it? Or I misunderstood?

I think that she remembers, but couldnt remember who was with her at that time, on the other hand, hiro couldnt remeber since they wiped his memories

yess it must be that thx !
Apr 8, 2018 12:06 AM

Mar 2016
OK this was a good one. A VERY good one. Much needed and extremely well-executed. Can't wait for the next one.

5/5 BOIS
Apr 8, 2018 12:14 AM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
Wow. Just wow. This episode was so good. Their past, on how they met, and how they were reunited. SO.DAMN.GOOD!

Like what they always say, a better love story than Twilight. 10/5
Apr 8, 2018 12:30 AM
Mar 2017
This episode 13 of Darling in the Franxxx simply amazing and it actually filled(we got what we want to learn after all).And i ship these two relationship and i hope this anime will have a happy ending for both of them and the rest of the teams too i can't wait for next week episode.
Apr 8, 2018 12:30 AM
Jan 2016
The torture of 02 kinda reminded me of Elfenlied.
Apr 8, 2018 12:33 AM
Nov 2016
That was something, wow. Zero Two was tortured when she was young and now that Hiro remembers everything it'll be interesting to see what he chooses to do with the other people in the plantation
Apr 8, 2018 12:36 AM
Apr 2013
It's one of the best episodes, if not the best episode, alright.

Based on the dialogue, Dr. Franxx was against the mind wipe. And it also explains why Hiro can't pair up with anyone aside from Zero-Two. It's because he drank some of Zero-Two's blood, making him 'tainted', as Papa and the rest said.

Now, I'm curious as to how he'll tell this to the other members of Squad 13. Mitsuru and Hiro's mending of their friendship is long overdue.
Apr 8, 2018 12:37 AM

Oct 2017
zannett said:

You’ve just stepped in a plot hole. She remember the promise, the zero two, but not his name, hiro? The fact he’s the same number, age, hair and eye color that came from the same place she met her darling?

Also, think about this one, why the fuck would they beat and torture the second best parasite instead of treating her the same as other parasites?
Apr 8, 2018 12:38 AM

Oct 2017
albertrojas said:
It's one of the best episodes, if not the best episode, alright.

Based on the dialogue, Dr. Franxx was against the mind wipe. And it also explains why Hiro can't pair up with anyone aside from Zero-Two. It's because he drank some of Zero-Two's blood, making him 'tainted', as Papa and the rest said.

Yeah, let’s lick some strangers blood. Totally normal thing for someone to do.
Apr 8, 2018 1:02 AM

Jun 2014
Legit, at the end I sat up in my bed, exclaiming. Halfway through the season and we're getting some big answers here. I hope the plot progresses even more.

Apr 8, 2018 1:05 AM
Nov 2017
shanimebib said:
Fappa said:

Totally with you!

So many different things in Zero Two's behavior so far makes sense now as well.
Like why she loves honey, why she always had that lolipop in her mouth, why she declined Hiro giving her a name back in Episode 2, why she said that it's been so long that she has seen a human cry in Episode 1 and so much more.

The memory return will play a significant part in the anime. Not only for the two of them but I have noticed how the other members of Team 13 had been having doubts of how the world works and going through constant changes. Those episodes in between served their purpose. 556 for instance has found out instinctively the desire to make baby with someone she would love after finding that book. 666 is another example who has finally moved on from his fixation of admiring the Adults after having spent time with that elderly. And they have been very trusting of 016 with all the recent episodes. 056 has awakened the feeling of love which is forbidden just by seeing 016 and 015. 196 knows the Adults have created a world that would never allow any pairing other than male-female. 326 went through hell and came back only to find 016 forgot about their promise not knowing 016 was actually had his memory erased. 015, who has always prioritized 016, however, notice how she has been saying things like 002 is the one who is best for 016, that she believes in 002, that she considers 002 as their comrade and would fight with her. I am sure most of them, if not all of them will side with 016 and 002 if they plan to take on this horrible world made by those Papa people.

Why do you insist calling them by code numbers? They have names. And after seeing how the adults treat them, the names are far more important than the numbers. There will be other 015s, but only one Ichigo. It's Miku. Only the adults call her 390. And it's more and more obvious that the "adults" in this world can get stuffed.
Apr 8, 2018 1:09 AM

Sep 2016
shanimebib said:
I am not crying. I am not crying. I am not crying.

This episode was so unbelievably sad. :'(

Anyone who thinks 015 deserves to be with 016 more than 002 after this episode will have to fight me!

Also, I am really hoping that by the end of this anime, these Children destroy this world created by the Adults.

5/5
This was an awesome eps loved the backstory 02 was soo cute
Facta Non Verba
Apr 8, 2018 1:28 AM
Jan 2018
what do you guys say, after this ep, 02 will you let go with hiro?
Or will hiro have to insist with 02?
Apr 8, 2018 1:48 AM

Jan 2018
Guys, did 002 always know about him though? or did she forget aswell and just remembered a person being there instead of remembering Hiro being there, and now they both realized it was eachother?

S T A T I C

Apr 8, 2018 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
YoungboyNFA said:
Guys, did 002 always know about him though? or did she forget aswell and just remembered a person being there instead of remembering Hiro being there, and now they both realized it was eachother?

yep i think its safe to say Zero Two forget how Hiro looks in the past lol
Apr 8, 2018 1:59 AM

Feb 2016
Finally an excellent episode, I was already bored and annoyed of the side characters

Now I hope they go straightforward with Zero Two and Hiro relationship, next week better be 100% focused on them
Apr 8, 2018 2:28 AM
Oct 2016
I really hope the children revolt against the adults, its some real dystopian shit.

Super good ep, 5/5
Apr 8, 2018 2:40 AM
Mar 2018
the rating is back to 7.98 boysss, thanks to eps 13
Apr 8, 2018 3:03 AM
Jan 2013
Dam son,
Tear me up like a bich...

After watching spongebob i felt manly again...
Apr 8, 2018 3:05 AM

Sep 2010
Good thing she didn't latch onto 'Oni' when Hiro considered naming her that. Could have been awkward if she found out what it meant later.

Hm... I thought she just gained the name "Zero-two" (as opposed to "Zero-zero-ni") out of infamy, but now, maybe not. I'm wondering how she got anyone else to call her that... Maybe I should rewatch.
Apr 8, 2018 3:18 AM

Dec 2015
10/10 STORYTELLING

They not only cleared the story behind Mitsuru and Hiro but created an entirely new rift by showing us the backstory of not one but the two principle MCs.

Can't remember the last time i've watched a series with such a strong dedication to character backstories let alone devoting whole episodes for pure character development.

The rollback to reality + that look of realisation from Zero Two literally killed me; next week's episode is going to start off with flying colours!
~
Apr 8, 2018 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
Prim3 said:
PinchaUvas_ said:

What the hell is wrong with you. Is this seriously what you want your first post to be?

Clearly an alt account, probably too much of a pussy to post on his main.

Yeah that makes more sense. Can someone remind me how to block people?
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2018

597 by akiramado19 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

328 by Aazoka »»
Apr 6, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2018

565 by otakuanity »»
Mar 29, 12:11 AM

» How do we feel about this one years later? ( 1 2 3 )

sorames - Jun 10, 2023

114 by sunatsf »»
Mar 26, 7:50 PM

» Did she knew him before that blood sucking episode

rishamr - Feb 15

29 by Aminah_D »»
Mar 3, 12:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.